PDA

View Full Version : Polish/wax question

VStarRider
03-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Good Evening,

I have been reading posts on and off about polishing and waxing for months. I ended up purchasing a bottle of Liquid Glass, but after a late fall wash, I discovered the infamous light scratches and swirl marks. I decided against applying a coat of the LG and waiting to possibly polish/rub out those scratches.

I have seen folks mention some products such as 3M Perfect It, Honda Gloss, etc.

I guess the question is, do I need to polish the bike before applying the wax? Or can I just go ahead with the LG wax?

Please advise.

Greg O
03-28-2016, 08:58 PM
I use Turtle wax premium polishing compound professional grade. It gets out all the scratches and swirls from my Black paint. You can get it at Walmart. Now my question does Liquid Glass have to be baked on in the sun. I need to get the all the scratches out of my paint and then apply the Liquid Glass. Last year I did not do this due to remodeling my kitchen all summer. Now that it is early spring I would like to do this before it gets really hot outside.

Steve 0080
03-28-2016, 10:55 PM
The 3M Scratch remover is the product suggested by Honda. Yes I would try to reduce all the scratches before the LG ...and yes.... make sure bike is as clean as possible, apply LG...push into the sun, ( even on a cold day ) let sit for 30 minutes ....bring back inside and remove polish...Perfection !!!!

There is a rather large thread on the subject that covers everything about LG !!!

Greg O
03-29-2016, 12:44 AM
Thanks Steve. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

oiler
03-29-2016, 05:08 AM
The 3M Scratch remover is the product suggested by Honda. Yes I would try to reduce all the scratches before the LG ...and yes.... make sure bike is as clean as possible, apply LG...push into the sun, ( even on a cold day ) let sit for 30 minutes ....bring back inside and remove polish...Perfection !!!!

There is a rather large thread on the subject that covers everything about LG !!!

Instructions say apply and let it haze over, wipe off, then bake in the sun. Ideal temperature should be 50 -80. I apply mine in the garage...once all polished I wheel it outside to bake for 2 to 3 hrs.

Steve 0080
03-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Instructions say apply and let it haze over, wipe off, then bake in the sun. Ideal temperature should be 50 -80. I apply mine in the garage...once all polished I wheel it outside to bake for 2 to 3 hrs.

I have done it both ways... both work...the sun does have an effect ...It come easily either way!

Retired Army
03-29-2016, 08:05 AM
I purchased a foam polishing ball that fits into my drill driver and use it with polishing compound for the swirls. Then apply liquid glass even on the wind shield. I can now wash bugs off with a wet rag after every ride. I ride a f6b trike and the bugs really accumulate on the front of the wide fenders.

JackB
03-29-2016, 08:23 AM
I tried Liquid Glass nice shine but it still would show light scratches then I tried Wizard wax better shine and protection. I was happy with it but still small marks scratches would still show.
I just order some Glare wax yesterday. I called Glare and talked to the head engineer and he told me to order the Winner package he said it would be a three step process and all your scratches will be gone and it will have the best shine ever.
Check out the site watch the video if it works as good as advertised I will be happy.
http://www.glare.com/quality

VStarRider
03-29-2016, 03:55 PM
I called my dealer and talked to the parts guy. He didn't seem too interested in answering my questions, but did suggest using the Honda Gloss spray and polish products or something equivalent that has few abrasives to get the light scratches out prior to waxing. He also said that the Honda Gloss serves as a wax. I want to get the scratches out, but also protect the finish from UV rays while it sits and bakes in the parking lot at work.

SoCal Rich
03-29-2016, 10:19 PM
I would avoid Polish Wax and buy American Wax instead! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

VStarRider
03-30-2016, 06:59 AM
I would avoid Polish Wax and buy American Wax instead! 
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Good one! I have been giggling to myself all week about Polish this, Polish that...I might even polish my helmet! :jerkit:

pdxstriper
04-05-2016, 01:24 AM
I use Turtle wax premium polishing compound professional grade. It gets out all the scratches and swirls from my Black paint. You can get it at Walmart. Now my question does Liquid Glass have to be baked on in the sun. I need to get the all the scratches out of my paint and then apply the Liquid Glass. Last year I did not do this due to remodeling my kitchen all summer. Now that it is early spring I would like to do this before it gets really hot outside.

Based on this recommendation, i went to my local Walmart and bought this same product. It works great on getting out the scratches. I did one pass and the surface scratches and a second pass on the deeper ones. Very happy with the results!

shortleg0521
04-05-2016, 06:24 AM
Based on this recommendation, i went to my local Walmart and bought this same product. It works great on getting out the scratches. I did one pass and the surface scratches and a second pass on the deeper ones. Very happy with the results!
You should start with a clay bar after wash, then scratch remover then LG.
shortleg

seadog
04-05-2016, 08:14 AM
Bike spirit cleaner wax & polish, there is nothing on a motorcycle, car, or anything that you can't use this polish on. It leaves no residue on any, rubber, vinyl, chrome, leather, flat paint, shiney paint, powder coat. The stuff is literally bullitt proof for use in anything I have ever used it on and I have done my bikes for years with it. Dennis Kirk carry's it for $5.99 a can and that usually last a season up here in Michigan.

Greg O
04-05-2016, 02:03 PM

I'm glad the Turtle Wax worked out for you. A friend of mine at work recommend it to me and I used it and was amazed. For a low cost polish it works great. Now for Liquid Glass.

Maddoggie501
04-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Check out Mcquiars web site foe advice. I have a 2016 satin finish color. All that is recommended is Mcquiars Gold Class Car Wash and Mcquars Ultimate Quick Detailer for everyday protection and cleaning. The bike looks great. The key is use nothing that says wax.