PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli Centurato P1 Runflat

Monk
03-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Put this Pirelli on the bike today. I will be using it during the Rogers Ride In and hope to also have some left to take to the Darkside Ride In.

At only 21 pounds it should handle real well as a twisty tire. I absolutely hate the looks of the tread on this tire. But I keep reminding myself, I'm not trying it based on its looks. If it grips good and handles the transition on twisty roads well then I will be okay with it.

I'm trying this tire based on a good recommendation from another Darksider. Mainly, I want to compare it to the Pirelli Snow Control that it is replacing.

Wish me luck.

shooter
03-31-2016, 01:29 PM
Monk , the pic I looked at on that tire showed the tread to be non-symmetrical. Is that true. In other words the tread is different from the middle out on one side than it is on the other. Usually tires like that distinguish inboard and outboard.

wjduke
03-31-2016, 02:31 PM
a-symetrical has inboard/outboard markings.

shooter
03-31-2016, 02:35 PM

Oh yeah , make a brother look bad. :nutkick:

ths61
03-31-2016, 02:35 PM
Is asymmetric-symmetry defined as 3 right turns equals 1 left turn ?

FWIW:

https://cdn.jaxtyres.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/1/518e99f7-9352-45ba-86e1-c2e4cdd9f4eb_1.jpg

http://www.carid.com/images/pirelli/pirelli-cinturato-p1-run-flat-close-up.jpg

shooter
03-31-2016, 02:36 PM
I don't see how you can put that tire on a MC. It would act differently on left and right hand corners. I'm waiting to see what Monk says.

53driver
03-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Hmmm, I guess if you put the "meatier" side to the right, the natural right-slope camber of the roads will be compensated for.

(Yeah - I'm reaching :icon_mrgreen: )

shooter
03-31-2016, 02:47 PM

Symmetrical. Two M's

shooter
03-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Definition. Symmetrical; characterized or exhibiting symmetry. Regular in form and arrangement of corresponding parts. Well
Proportioned as a body or whole.
Definition. Non-Symmetrical; not symmetrical.

wjduke
03-31-2016, 02:56 PM
lol....you got me anyway

Monk
03-31-2016, 04:50 PM
Monk , the pic I looked at on that tire showed the tread to be non-symmetrical. Is that true. In other words the tread is different from the middle out on one side than it is on the other. Usually tires like that distinguish inboard and outboard.

Yes, and to simplify everything. It is marked "inside" and "outside" :icon_lol:

Steve 0080
03-31-2016, 09:18 PM
Inside for the right handers and outside for the left handers !!! :stirthepot:

You will not be able to tell anything!

shooter
03-31-2016, 09:22 PM
Wouldn't work for me but to each his own. 21 lbs.??

Monk
03-31-2016, 09:30 PM
Inside for the right handers and outside for the left handers !!! :stirthepot:

You will not be able to tell anything!

The report I got on the tire was exactly that!!

My big interest is the fact that it only weights in at 21 pounds rather than the 25 for a Michelin Alpin. That can make a big difference when running the twisties. The lighter weight increases the fun factor. :icon_lol:

ths61
03-31-2016, 10:03 PM
The report I got on the tire was exactly that!!

My big interest is the fact that it only weights in at 21 pounds rather than the 25 for a Michelin Alpin. That can make a big difference when running the twisties. The lighter weight increases the fun factor. :icon_lol:

Do you have all-right-turn twisties ? :yikes:

Seriously, will the bike have a tendency to track right or left with an asymmetric tread pattern ?

Monk
04-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Do you have all-right-turn twisties ? :yikes:

Seriously, will the bike have a tendency to track right or left with an asymmetric tread pattern ?

Everything I've been told about the tire, tells me I will not notice anything.

In the next 10 days I will be putting 1,500+ miles on the tire. If I notice a problem I will report back. But, I really don't expect that.

Hornblower
04-01-2016, 07:03 AM
Everything I've been told about the tire, tells me I will not notice anything.

In the next 10 days I will be putting 1,500+ miles on the tire. If I notice a problem I will report back. But, I really don't expect that.

Notice that all posters with negative opinions have never run this kind of tire. I've been running the ZE912 Falken with great results which just shows what happens when you assume something. Here are the characteristics of that tire:

Hybrid-Asymmetric Pattern Design – Optimized inside and outside tread patterns to ensure all-season grip on demand

Infinite Sipe Sequence – Full-depth sipes throughout the entire tread platform creating biting edges that dramatically increase traction in all seasons

Rotation Wear Indicators (RWI) – Falken engineered visual cues that help the driver maximize tire life and overall tire value, prompting regular tire maintenance

Four High-Volume Circumferential Grooves – Designed to deliver increased hydroplane resistance and maximum stability in wet conditions

High Angle Variable Cross Grooves – In inclement weather conditions, these grooves effectively evacuate water away from the contact patch

This tire has been phenomenal in wet or dry conditions. I would recommend it without reservation.

Monk
04-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Notice that all posters with negative opinions have never run this kind of tire. I've been running the ZE912 Falken with great results which just shows what happens when you assume something. Here are the characteristics of that tire:

Hybrid-Asymmetric Pattern Design – Optimized inside and outside tread patterns to ensure all-season grip on demand

Infinite Sipe Sequence – Full-depth sipes throughout the entire tread platform creating biting edges that dramatically increase traction in all seasons

Rotation Wear Indicators (RWI) – Falken engineered visual cues that help the driver maximize tire life and overall tire value, prompting regular tire maintenance

Four High-Volume Circumferential Grooves – Designed to deliver increased hydroplane resistance and maximum stability in wet conditions

High Angle Variable Cross Grooves – In inclement weather conditions, these grooves effectively evacuate water away from the contact patch

This tire has been phenomenal in wet or dry conditions. I would recommend it without reservation.

I'm trying to get as close to the benefits of a tire like the 912 and still have the safety of a runflat.

Hornblower
04-01-2016, 07:48 AM
I'm trying to get as close to the benefits of a tire like the 912 and still have the safety of a runflat.

I can appreciate that. I've also used run flat tires before and it is nice not having to worry about small nails or screws ruining you trip. Now that I'm running a non-run flat, I do now carry a plug kit and compact air compressor, just in case. AFAIK, about the only drawback of the run flat is weight so if I find a really good one, I may go back to that in the future. Until then, I already have my next Falken mounted on a spare wheel and ready-to-go.

bob109
04-01-2016, 08:14 AM
I can appreciate that. I've also used run flat tires before and it is nice not having to worry about small nails or screws ruining you trip. Now that I'm running a non-run flat, I do now carry a plug kit and compact air compressor, just in case. AFAIK, about the only drawback of the run flat is weight so if I find a really good one, I may go back to that in the future. Until then, I already have my next Falken mounted on a spare wheel and ready-to-go.

With a conventional radial tire (non-run flat) and Ride-On Tire Balancer/Sealant there is no difference in thread/tread puncture protection IMHO. The ability to continue to use the tire after a puncture is the same:shhh: The added benefit of a stiff sidewall and more MC Tire like ride achieved with lower air pressure (sweet spot) of course, is not the same as a softer 1 ply side-walled conventional tire. Therein lies the real difference.

I'm anxious to see this tire after 25/30K miles of wear and specifically what the tire edges look like! The wear characteristics should be interesting:icon_wink:

shooter
04-01-2016, 09:03 AM

Ken I didn't see any negative comments all I saw was questions. I did say that it wasn't for me and I stand by that. I don't see that as being negative. I don't know much about tires having only sold thousands of them over the last 27 years. I can tell you that I've attended dozens of tire seminars in that time that were put on by Goodyear , Michelin , Bridgestone/Firestone , Dunlop , Comtinental and Pirelli. I can tell you that all these manufacturers specify that when you mount a non-symmetrical that the sidewall marked inside or outside expressly goes in that position. The tire manufacturers say that the inside of a non-symmetrical tire is not designed to lead into a curve. See that's it Ken. There is design aspect to that tire and I guarantee you in certain scenario's that tire will not perform the same on those two edges. More rubber , less siping , different tread design all together. If you think those elements don't make a difference then run a slick and let me know how that works. Like I said , its not for me.

Hornblower
04-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Ken I didn't see any negative comments all I saw was questions. I did say that it wasn't for me and I stand by that. I don't see that as being negative. I don't know much about tires having only sold thousands of them over the last 27 years. I can tell you that I've attended dozens of tire seminars in that time that were put on by Goodyear , Michelin , Bridgestone/Firestone , Dunlop , Comtinental and Pirelli. I can tell you that all these manufacturers specify that when you mount a non-symmetrical that the sidewall marked inside or outside expressly goes in that position. The tire manufacturers say that the inside of a non-symmetrical tire is not designed to lead into a curve. See that's it Ken. There is design aspect to that tire and I guarantee you in certain scenario's that tire will not perform the same on those two edges. More rubber , less siping , different tread design all together. If you think those elements don't make a difference then run a slick and let me know how that works. Like I said , its not for me.

That's fine, Shooter. I don't remember naming you specifically as being negative. Be that as it may, what do I know without selling thousands of tires as you have? What I do know is simply this...the fastest riders I personally know and I, myself, have been running this non-symmetrical tire for the past couple of years with complete success. In fact, it has outperformed any symmetrical tire I have run previously. So, call me stupid but it is working for me and that's all I really care about.

shooter
04-01-2016, 12:28 PM
I don't remember calling anyone stupid Ken. As I said before it was mostly questions being asked. Which is normal when you see something new or out of the norm. I'm glad it works for you. But like I said I still question the difference in the inside and outside design of the tread. Nothing wrong with asking questions. Last time I checked that's how we learn.

ths61
04-01-2016, 12:44 PM
That's fine, Shooter. I don't remember naming you specifically as being negative. Be that as it may, what do I know without selling thousands of tires as you have? What I do know is simply this...the fastest riders I personally know and I, myself, have been running this non-symmetrical tire for the past couple of years with complete success. In fact, it has outperformed any symmetrical tire I have run previously. So, call me stupid but it is working for me and that's all I really care about.

Ken, for the record, I wasn't being negative either, just trying to get information. You darksiders had me about convinced with the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP runflat for the next tire change only for it to get discontinued and then this asymmetric tread pattern gets thrown into the mix. One would think asymmetric patterns were designed in pairs to make the pair collectively symmetric. :shrug:

bob109
04-01-2016, 02:28 PM

Ken:

With your several years of experience with this particular tire you wouldn't happen to have a picture or two of the worn carcass! My inquisitive mind begs for a actual pic of the edge wear pattern of such a tire. I would like to compare it to the actual wear pattern of the General G-Max which exhibited edge scalloping after 30K+ miles of service. The more detailed feedback we have from all Dark Side users goes a long way in educating those on the fence!

Thanks in advance and Safe Riding

bob109

Hornblower
04-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Wow, maybe we need to "clear the air" here. Apologies to all who were offended by my negative posts comment. It's not my intention to offend anyone. I called it like I saw it and maybe I am a bit sensitive to what I perceive as negative comments from people who haven't even tried the idea they're commenting on. Let me make this clear...I am NOT recommending for everyone to go out and look for asymmetrical tires. I certainly was not looking for that when I wanted to find a higher performance car tire. As I mentioned, what led to that was studying what other faster and better riders were using. Yellow Wolf, of Tail of the Dragon fame, was the first I saw running the Falken. BTW, he set the Gold Wing speed record of averaging 60mph on that run. If you've run the Dragon, you know how crazy fast that is. Later, I rode with a couple of his fast friends, Elrod and Murgie and they were recommending the Falken as well. (As some of you may know, Murgie is THE man when it comes to Darkside.) In fact, I didn't even realize it was a non-symmetrical tire until I took it to be mounted and my tire installer asked how I wanted the inside/outside oriented. Frankly, on this particular tire it probably doesn't even matter since either side works great. Maybe that is not true for other non-symmetrical tires, I don't know. At any rate, this tire works great for me in wet or dry conditions and, believe me, that's important because these guys I'm riding with slow down very little for wet conditions, maybe 10% :yikes:. Anyway, with all that said, maybe we can get all our ruffled feathers back in place and continue in a friendly fashion.

shooter
04-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Ken when you look at the tire you are running , unless you pay close attention its not readily apparent that its asymmetrical. My comments were directed at Monks tire. There is a huge difference in the footprint left to right. I'm very interested as to how it feels. Monk is going on a trip and I'm sure he will report back when he returns. Its all good here.

Hornblower
04-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Ken:

With your several years of experience with this particular tire you wouldn't happen to have a picture or two of the worn carcass! My inquisitive mind begs for a actual pic of the edge wear pattern of such a tire. I would like to compare it to the actual wear pattern of the General G-Max which exhibited edge scalloping after 30K+ miles of service. The more detailed feedback we have from all Dark Side users goes a long way in educating those on the fence!

Thanks in advance and Safe Riding

bob109

Bob, I expect you have more experience than I do. I've only run maybe 4 different darkside tires (to the best of my recollection). I'm not even sure I can remember all of those since it goes back to when I was first running one on my Triumph Rocket III. I do remember running the Michelin Pilot Sport on that bike and later the Kumho Ecsta RF. Seems like there was another one along the way but I'm not sure. Like I've mentioned previously though, none have performed like the Falken, for me.

Anyway, unlike you, I'm simply not curious enough to cut worn-out tires apart to examine the wear or even take pictures of worn tires. I can tell you that I'm wearing the tire edges out first but that's probably due to overly-aggressive curve action. And, I don't get anywhere close to the mileage you're getting on the G-Max. Frankly, I don't care much about mileage because I'm mainly looking for grip in wet or dry conditions. I might be getting 10K miles before the edges are shot, just a guess. All considered, my Falken might not be the best choice for others but it sure works for me.

Hornblower
04-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Ken when you look at the tire you are running , unless you pay close attention its not readily apparent that its asymmetrical. My comments were directed at Monks tire. There is a huge difference in the footprint left to right. I'm very interested as to how it feels. Monk is going on a trip and I'm sure he will report back when he returns. Its all good here.

Good observation, Shooter. That's a pretty important point, I think. Maybe that's why I haven't crashed and burned yet :yikes:. So, yeah, I'm not speaking for any other non-symmetrical tire although there may be other good ones out there.

Monk
04-02-2016, 10:01 PM
I leave for Rogers next week Wednesday and hopefully will be riding 300-400 miles per day through the weekend.
Decided to get the bike out for a 300 mile run today just to get a feel for the tire. About half of that 300 was in the mountains.

I still have to say, that it is the most UGLY tire I've ever seen. :icon_lol:

But it pushed through the turns with ease. It was so very smooth and easy to transition with, that I found myself actually running a little harder than I intended with a new untested tire.

To tell that this tire is not made like the others I've tried ... I will have to get off the bike and look. It handled the twisties beautifully. There is night and day different between it and the Michelin Alpin. Now I'm really looking forward to the Ride In. I think this tire is going to handle the several days of riding very, very well.

53driver
04-02-2016, 10:09 PM
I leave for Rogers next week Wednesday and hopefully will be riding 300-400 miles per day through the weekend.
Decided to get the bike out for a 300 mile run today just to get a feel for the tire. About half of that 300 was in the mountains.

I still have to say, that it is the most UGLY tire I've ever seen. :icon_lol:

But it pushed through the turns with ease. It was so very smooth and easy to transition with, that I found myself actually running a little harder than I intended with a new untested tire.

To tell that this tire is not made like the others I've tried ... I will have to get off the bike and look. It handled the twisties beautifully. There is night and day different between it and the Michelin Alpin. Now I'm really looking forward to the Ride In. I think this tire is going to handle the several days of riding very, very well.

Very glad to hear it! And as they say: "DarkSide responsibly."

Monk
04-11-2016, 09:28 AM
This tire (Pirelli Centurato P1) now has 1,700 miles of Ozark Mountain riding. I rode all of the good twisty roads between highway 7 and highway 23. For this application this tire is SWEET!!

Probably to be fair I should give the Winter Snowcontrol another try for comparison purposes. And I may do that later, but after this experience, I really don't want to.

It transitions in the S curves very, very well. Not sure if the difference between this one and the Snowcontrol is significant, but I believe there is a slight difference, with the P1 being a little better.

I did have a couple of opportunities to hammer it pretty good coming out of some tight curves and got nothing be quick smooth acceleration!

I think this one is a keeper as a runflat to run in the twisties. Only warning, don't look at the tread pattern!! It is BUTT UGLY!!

shooter
04-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Glad it worked for you Monk. Sounds like it did a good job. That's all you can ask for. Thanks for the report.

Monk
05-27-2017, 09:13 AM
At this point, I've gone through 2 Centurato P1 tires and the third has 2,400 miles on it.

My observations:

It is the best handling runflat in the twisties that I've found!! I just got back from a Darkside Ride In over in North Carolina (the roads are sweet over there). When I got back, I wanted to finish wearing out another 21 pound (Handkook) tire that I had taken off before the trip. Between the two, I could tell the difference in handling. The Pirelli is significantly better.

The bike nor myself can tell the difference between the outside or inside tread pattern. It doesn't matter, when I get on it, the tire responds with good smooth control and acceleration. No slipping in any conditions.

Now for a negative: If you look at the pictures that were posted previously in this tread, it is apparent the tire has a very nice rounded profile. It looks a lot like the profile from a motorcycle tire. I suppose that is why it handles so well. The negative part comes in with the edge tread wear. The edge of this tire is not as beefed up as a tire like the Michelin or even the Driveguard. If you live and ride mostly in a flatland area, then this may not be as much of a factor. But, I would suggest running this tire up around 35 PSI to keep those slim edges off the pavement. Believe me, running a spirited pace in the twisties will make those edges disappear rather quickly. For that purpose, I run mine up around 40 PSI.

Hope this is helpful for those that might consider this tire. I see it as a sporty twisty tire with great handling. But if you hardly ever run the twisties, then another tire like the Driveguard would probably serve you just as well.

Good luck with your choice

53driver
05-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Thanks Monk!

How many miles did you get out of the two previous Pirelli's?

TIA,
Steve

Monk
05-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Thanks Monk!

How many miles did you get out of the two previous Pirelli's?

TIA,
Steve

Around 5,000 ... But that was strickly running the twisties here in Arkansas. And I had to take them off because the edge was gone. The middle tread still had lots of miles left.

I don't believe it will be a high mileage tire like some get from the Michelin or Driveguard just to name a couple. But I think it will do okay under normal conditions and still do better than a motorcycle tire will under the same conditions. Plus, it handles GREAT!! which is really important when running curvy roads.

BIGLRY
05-27-2017, 02:16 PM
warning, don't look at the tread pattern!! It is BUTT UGLY!!
Hehe I'll have to agree on that, but it sounds like it is a performer and worth taking a look at for my steel steed.
https://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/pirelli/pi_cinturato_p1rf_pdpcrop.jpg
https://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/pirelli/pi_cinturato_p1rf_pdptrd.jpg

ths61
05-27-2017, 10:49 PM
Around 5,000 ... But that was strickly running the twisties here in Arkansas. And I had to take them off because the edge was gone. The middle tread still had lots of miles left.

I don't believe it will be a high mileage tire like some get from the Michelin or Driveguard just to name a couple. But I think it will do okay under normal conditions and still do better than a motorcycle tire will under the same conditions. Plus, it handles GREAT!! which is really important when running curvy roads.

Monk,

Thanks for the update.

Have you tried the Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS with the symmetrical tread ?

TIA

https://tires.tirerack.com/search?p=Q&lbc=tirerack&uid=693783569&ts=custom&w=195%2055%2016%20Run%20Flat&isort=score&method=and&view=list&sli_jump=1&af=type%3aall&cnt=60

Monk
05-28-2017, 06:05 AM
Monk,

Thanks for the update.

Have you tried the Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS with the symmetrical tread ?

TIA

https://tires.tirerack.com/search?p=Q&lbc=tirerack&uid=693783569&ts=custom&w=195%2055%2016%20Run%20Flat&isort=score&method=and&view=list&sli_jump=1&af=type%3aall&cnt=60

Yes I did ... I'm one of the few that didn't like that tire. I really can't get specific about what I didn't like? Something about they way it felt when riding the twisties?

I took that experience as a prime example of "to each their own". We are all different in how we ride and what we expect out of a tire. It is not a one shoe fits all concept. Find something you like that fits your riding style and ENJOY.