PDA

View Full Version : Is the Low Windshield an Issue?

stan0614
04-01-2016, 08:40 AM
I have a Goldwing and we want to get my wife the F6B. Is the low standard windshield a problem with wind. The marketing material says the rider is protected from wind. Is this true ? If not, is the wind manageable / tolerable at highway speeds ?

toy_collector
04-01-2016, 08:51 AM
The first thing 98% of the people here do is change the windshield. You should test ride before you buy.

Navvet
04-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Depends on her height, I am 6'-6" and need a tall windshield.

She will need to test drive one to be sure.

oiler
04-01-2016, 09:01 AM
It is horrible...you are not going to like it. The only thing good about it is the looks. I have tried 4 different windshields and ended buying the Madstad which was the one I wanted to buy from the start, but didn't because I didn't want to spend that much. In the end it cost me a lot more. The Madstad shield works.

Bob Penn
04-01-2016, 09:26 AM
I'm only 5'8" and before I even took possession of the bike I had them throw in a taller Honda screen. Negotiate, the price of a new screen is not that much. I'd be more concerned with her inseam length and her ability to reach the ground and hold up a relatively heavy bike.

willtill
04-01-2016, 09:52 AM
The OEM windshield does one thing well. It provides an uninterrupted; non-buffeted flow of air to your head.

Some folks like that. But at highway speeds; hearing the tunes from the OEM speakers will be a problem.

opas ride
04-01-2016, 10:18 AM
I am 5' 9" and test rode the F6B with the stock shield and was not happy...First thing I did was go to the Baggershield adjustable windshield and it works great for me...Very happy with the low wind noise and no turbulence on the road....

wjduke
04-01-2016, 10:24 AM
When I first got my bike, I was actually ok with the stock shield, coming from a bike that had nothing. Even the Klockwerks I have isn't great, but it looks a lot better.

GaTeach
04-01-2016, 11:16 AM
stock windshield is ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I had to wear a FF and i hated every minute of it. So much noise. Terrible.

It looks really cool, though.

Brewdog
04-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Not an issue if you wear a full face helmet and keep the visor closed.

Chas
04-01-2016, 01:03 PM
I found the stock one too low for winter riding, so bought a tall that I use in winter, then bought a short, but taller than stock for summer. It works for me. We can ride year round since winter is mostly rainy or cloudy.

jm21ddd15
04-01-2016, 01:56 PM
So, as you read the posts, most of us change out the windshield right away. Several types and styles, colors, some vented, etc. It's your choice. You ride in cold or cool weather? Then get ready to change it. Some Gold wing shields will also fit.

stan0614
04-01-2016, 01:59 PM
So, as you read the posts, most of us change out the windshield right away. Several types and styles, colors, some vented, etc. It's your choice. You ride in cold or cool weather? Then get ready to change it. Some Gold wing shields will also fit.

THANKS SO Much folks - I really couldn’t see how the windscreen was that useful and you guys see it too right away.

Will be the first accessory I get her.

seadog
04-01-2016, 02:47 PM
11 INCH THAT CONVERTS TO 19 INCH. On hot days its nice to take it down to 11 inches and you can do this in a heartbeat the top piece just flips over and you reinstall it with the same fasteners, and on colder days the full 19 inch is the best. running in heavy rain also the 19 inch came thru nicely. Even thought there is a big contingent that like the madstad I prefer the versatility of the bagger shield. They are right about being able to hear the radio better with the big shield.

willtill
04-01-2016, 02:59 PM
THANKS SO Much folks - I really couldn’t see how the windscreen was that useful and you guys see it too right away.

Will be the first accessory I get her.

One thing I want to caution you on though. If you decide to change out your seat for something else, do that FIRST before you get a different windshield.

Many of the aftermarket seats will change your riding height. Thus you may buy a Windshield TWICE or maybe even ThREE times before you are satisfied with it.

shooter
04-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Yeah or four!! How many you got Will?

Miks
04-01-2016, 04:58 PM
It's part of the image of the bagger that is made for the street. The street they are referring to, is riding stoplight to stoplight and putting on five miles saying that was a good ride.

First item of business is to find a replacement windshield you like, they are always taller and just figure out your personal preference to keep the looks that you like.

willtill
04-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Yeah or four!! How many you got Will?

Two. :022:

And I haven't yet ordered the Ultimate King seat.

I may end up with that Madstadt yet..... But I want to wait until I see some of them in Russellville during our F6B Rally this autumn. :shhh:

imscots
04-01-2016, 05:05 PM
I bought a 2015 Deluxe model a couple of months back and changed the windscreen right away. I went with the Cee Baileys screen. They make windows for private jets etc, among other things. I am 5' 11" and I got the 13" screen and I love it. blocks all the wind almost and I can hear radio at any speed. Her is link

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/F6Bws.html

BobR
04-01-2016, 05:08 PM
I put on the Madstad 11 inch. It is great. Here in Florida you want some air over the top when the heat is on. In the cool weather or rain I raise it and it gives total protection.

Jayrock
04-01-2016, 05:20 PM
The stock windshield is fine with a full face helmet.... if you're wearing earplugs! Wind noise is pretty harsh. :no: I bought a Madstad last winter but haven't installed it yet. Going to try to find time & install it tonight.

rdeady
04-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Please update us on how well the madstad works. i believe i have a oem 17" and I still get buffeting and a vacuum (seems like I'm being shoved from behind).I tryed opening /closing the vent and everything in between to no avail.
Really surprised Honda hasn't made a shield that actually works so people don't have to spend all kinds of money experimenting!!!! I will probably purchase that madstad and hope for a clean pocket of air for any long rides i do. Short rides and when i want more air ill use my fatboy minus windsheild.

ths61
04-01-2016, 08:20 PM
The stock windshield did a great job of keeping the wind off of my belly-button.

I then bought a vented tall windshield which had quite a bit of buffeting under various conditions and then went to a Madstad.

Maddoggie501
04-01-2016, 08:59 PM
I have a Goldwing and we want to get my wife the F6B. Is the low standard windshield a problem with wind. The marketing material says the rider is protected from wind. Is this true ? If not, is the wind manageable / tolerable at highway speeds ?

I just purchased a 2015 F6B. Im only 5'8''. The wind hits me right in the face shield. I'm going to leave it on for now and try it on a long highway trip with speeds over 75mph. Im pretty sure I need to get a taller one.

MisterB
04-01-2016, 09:41 PM
The marketing of the F6B often shows it in urban environments with bridges and buildings, sometimes on back roads, never loaded with luggage running down the 4 lane.
Maybe they were hoping it would sell to city folks who kept to low speeds just cruising around town.
For low speeds the stock is fine because that type of riding is fun with low or no windshield, but that's just not reality for most of us.
As Jayrock said, you'll need a FF helmet at highway speeds with earplugs, you won't be able to hear much from the radio as it's like sticking your head out of a car window.
My first ~360 miles were at highway speed riding it home from the dealer, helmet was coated with bug guts by the time I got home, ordered new helmet shield and windshield pronto. Got one that is 12" taller than stock.
The previous bike was an ST1300 which has a luxurious electronically adjustable windshield, really miss that.
May experiment with different shields as time goes on.
Search for "windshield" in the search bar, sit back and enjoy the read, the folks here have tried 'em all and posted the results. Not as bad as seat$, but it can add up quick if you get something you don't like.
Replacing the shield isn't difficult. If I had it to do again I'd probably get one of those adjustable ones. Maybe next year.

3Chief
04-01-2016, 11:34 PM
I'll be the odd duck here...the stock windshield doesn't bother me. Whether on my short putt to work or on a longer run it's been fine. Definitely noisier than not having one on my VTX but it doesn't buffet my head the way others have. Can't hear the radio...haven't turned it on since I figured out how to turn it off :icon_wink:

grendl
04-02-2016, 11:44 AM
When I got mine,I had already read the comments on the shorty shield. I rode my bike on longer trips around my beautiful state and loved it. The look and the wind in my FF helmet. On hot days with a pair of shades I just opened the helmet visor and enjoyed the wind. I took a run up to Wisconsin and still no issue other than not really hearing the stereo.
Then I went south through Tennessee and Alabama. The bugs were such an annoyance that I decided to pick up a Klockwerks while I was there. Bug problem solved,and when it's cool the taller windshield makes for a much better run.
Still I miss the shorty and am thinking to just replace it for around home then for long trips or when fall/winter comes put the Klockwerks back on. Kind of a hassle and I havent done that,but my short answer would be how and when you are going to ride,whether you like the wind in your face (I do) and those things.
I guess I really would like to have two F6Bs,that would solve my problem :-)

Old Ryder
04-02-2016, 05:49 PM
My biggest issue was having a weather radio, iPod player, Am/FM radio and all of it be useless over 40 mph. Not a windshield guy and the fairing kept most of the wind off----but I wanted the tunes. So after 2 seats, I am on my 3 windshield. Take my advice and save time experimenting--Just buy the Madstad and be done with it all.

willtill
04-03-2016, 06:57 AM
My biggest issue was having a weather radio, iPod player, Am/FM radio and all of it be useless over 40 mph. Not a windshield guy and the fairing kept most of the wind off----but I wanted the tunes. So after 2 seats, I am on my 3 windshield. Take my advice and save time experimenting--Just buy the Madstad and be done with it all.

Ya... but.... what height Madstad? :poke:

11" ( or) 13" ( or) 15" ???

I know what they recommend... albeit following manufacturers recommendation for windshield size... and subsequently at times discovering that it is not adequate...

:icon_wink:

I do like my Goldwing Vstream windshield that replaced my Clearview medium recurve that replaced my stock OEM shorty.... however I think I may be assimilating into the Madstad crowd when I get my Ultimate King seat.

Old Ryder
04-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Ya... but.... what height Madstad? :poke:

11" ( or) 13" ( or) 15" ???

I know what they recommend... albeit following manufacturers recommendation for windshield size... and subsequently at times discovering that it is not adequate...

:icon_wink:

I do like my Goldwing Vstream windshield that replaced my Clearview medium recurve that replaced my stock OEM shorty.... however I think I may be assimilating into the Madstad crowd when I get my Ultimate King seat.

I am 6'1" and they recommend the 13" so that is what I got. I also have the Ultimate King Rider seat. Then I sent it back for an 11" and it gives me the adjustability to keep me in wind or block as much as I choose. I also need to add that the Baker hand wings get a lot of credit here, too. The 13 was just too big and ugly and ---to me at least--some wind is a part of riding a bike in the first place. Otherwise why not get a Civic?

dladue49
04-04-2016, 07:07 AM
Go with the Bagger Shield . I put one on my new F6B and like it alot. The short stock one is cool looking but not much wind protection . But thats just my two cents .I think you will be happy with the convertable style.

lloydmoore1
04-04-2016, 07:23 AM
Please update us on how well the madstad works. i believe i have a oem 17" and I still get buffeting and a vacuum (seems like I'm being shoved from behind).I tryed opening /closing the vent and everything in between to no avail.
Really surprised Honda hasn't made a shield that actually works so people don't have to spend all kinds of money experimenting!!!! I will probably purchase that madstad and hope for a clean pocket of air for any long rides i do. Short rides and when i want more air ill use my fatboy minus windsheild.

That's the same reason I switched out my 17" oem. Now I have the 13" madstad set all the way low and it works great. So many adjustments can be made to achieve the airflow you want. My wife rides with me sometimes and she even noticed how now she has no wind in her face and no bugs landing on her lap. Happy wife = happy Life :icon_lol:
With the 13 in the low setting I am just looking over the top of the windshield and I get now turbulence and great rain protection as well.

Retired Army
04-04-2016, 07:51 AM
I have had cataract operations and could not ride with the OEM shield and FF helmet. I went to the F4 customs plus 4 and can be ordered with vent. They are sponsors of this forum.

Az Wingrider
04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
I ride with a Windbender from Firecreek. It has a lot of adjustment but I have found the low position work great because of the lamineer lip at the top of the shield. It is a bit pricey but this the second bike I have had one on and I am very satisfied with them

Jayrock
04-04-2016, 11:32 AM
So Friday after work I went for a short 140 mile ride with the stock windshield & full face helmet & earplugs in. :banghead: Friday night I installed my 11" Madstad windshield. Rode for about 5 hours on Saturday and what a difference. NO wind noise! :icon_biggrin:

BadDawg
04-04-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm 5' 6", ride open face and long haul. I love the stock size shield and have no desire to replace it. But I also have 64000 miles on my VTX without a shield. For me the stock shield offers ample protection. I can hear the stereo just fine. More than happy with it.

Chaos
04-04-2016, 12:39 PM
I bought a 2015 Deluxe model a couple of months back and changed the windscreen right away. I went with the Cee Baileys screen. They make windows for private jets etc, among other things. I am 5' 11" and I got the 13" screen and I love it. blocks all the wind almost and I can hear radio at any speed. Her is link

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/F6Bws.html

How many ride by looking over the screen instead of thru it? I hate looking thru the screen, it causes me problems when the temperature changes and the screen fogs up. I am 5’10” and always like it when the screen is short enough to see over, but tall enough to provide adequate wind protection.

jm21ddd15
04-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Can't hear the radio...haven't turned it on since I figured out how to turn it off :icon_wink:

+1 I don't use the radio. I would have bought the 6 without it, if Honda sold it like that. How ever, I did put an 11" Baggershield on shortly after I got the bike. Not too tall, but fits me fine. Keeps most bugs off, but still allows some fresh air.

Dirtstiff's F6B
04-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Put the oem shield in the box for the replacement shield and forget it.

moosedog
04-04-2016, 06:30 PM
It is horrible...you are not going to like it. The only thing good about it is the looks. I have tried 4 different windshields and ended buying the Madstad which was the one I wanted to buy from the start, but didn't because I didn't want to spend that much. In the end it cost me a lot more. The Madstad shield works.

I lived (suffered) with one for a few months before I bought a Madstad. The little stock one is a joke and ear plugs are mandatory. The Madstad is awesome! Best of luck.

fl1madmax
04-04-2016, 07:40 PM

do what I did , make them give you a Tall Gold Wing Shield with Vent to close the deal........ it only cost them $40 their cost
and that shield is perfect !@ they will jump on it, next Get a Ultimate seat, you will HATE the seat, then put miles on it !

rdeady
04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Jayrock, What size madstad did you purchase? I'm 5'10" but possibly a little long in the torso. they size me at 11" but i am thinking i might go with the 13". I don't want to take any chances,I need this thing to work !!! If its adjustable willIi be able to see over the 13" ? and if I can see over the 13" why get an 11" ???

Maddoggie501
04-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know the height of the accessory Honda Low Tinted Shield. I cannot find any height on the Honda website. I hate to assume its the same height as the stock shield.

BadDawg
04-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Does anyone know the height of the accessory Honda Low Tinted Shield. I cannot find any height on the Honda website. I hate to assume its the same height as the stock shield.

It's the exact same as stock. It's what's on mine now.

Battoo
04-05-2016, 05:54 PM
we rode home with the stocker and like has been said the first thing was a Klockwerks 14 bought and Installed Great ride now

Bryster
04-05-2016, 08:36 PM

I just ordered the accessory short screen "0SR70-MJG-200" comes with 'F6B' on it. Supposed to be 1" higher than the standard screen, "67101-MJG-305".

Just wanted some more air, as the Windbender is awesome, but I was riding Ace Ventura style in the heat!

I'll put the two side by side for comparison when it gets here... going to be not-so-funny if they're the same! :shock:

VStarRider
04-06-2016, 05:36 AM
Every forum has some topics that get more responses than any other.

I was very hesitant to go with the Madstad last October, but there was so much support for it on this site I grit my teeth and went for it. I do not regret that decision at all. My biggest hesitation was the looks of the Madstad. IMO, it looks a lot better in person than it does in their website photos.

I am a proportional 6'1" with a 34 inseam and the 13" is just right, as their website indicates. In it's tallest, most upright position, I can still see over the shield, yet get the quiet ride and wind protection. Very little to no turbulence.

Fla_rider
04-06-2016, 10:08 AM
I use the Clearview Sports/ Wide/ tallest smoke with vent model. I'm only 5"7" but I like to sit upright. I see over with no problem. The clearview has a recurve on the lip, which takes wind over my helmet with no buffering effects.Here is some pics. I hate the look of the Madstad!

Here's the link to the site.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/honda/honda-f6b-windshields/

1951vbs
04-06-2016, 08:14 PM
58,000 miles on F6B with 1/2" lower than stock dark tint. Would not change. No problem with buffeting or wind noise using full face helmet and ear buds. Like the extra breeze during summer.

Maddoggie501
04-07-2016, 11:49 AM
It's the exact same as stock. It's what's on mine now.

Thanks!

Jayrock
04-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Jayrock, What size madstad did you purchase? I'm 5'10" but possibly a little long in the torso. they size me at 11" but i am thinking i might go with the 13". I don't want to take any chances,I need this thing to work !!! If its adjustable willIi be able to see over the 13" ? and if I can see over the 13" why get an 11" ???

Rdeady sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I haven't been paying close attention to the forum for a few days. I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam - just a little bit more of my height is in my legs. I have an 11" Madstad which pushes all of the wind over my helmet when the shield is fully extended.

Retired Army
04-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Does anyone wonder why this forum has so many windshield sponsors? :icon_rolleyes:

Bryster
04-23-2016, 02:35 AM
So it's the Standard windshield...

Then I got the Honda factory sport screen.

It's only about 1" higher but kicks forward a little more when mounted, enough for me to get good coverage without an ever so slight hunch. And have the windbender for long trips. Was never able to find a side by side comparison myself. So hope it helps someone.... :icon_wink:

taxfree4
04-23-2016, 03:21 AM
Tried this on the stock shield and it transformed it from a throw away hunk of plastic to a functional piece of equipment. The X-Creen can be tilted in numerous different positions to increase/restrict airflow. It's my stock summer shield, swap it out for the Baggershield in winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uUGfjoyUxg

coffee_weasle
04-23-2016, 08:46 AM
Tried this on the stock shield and it transformed it from a throw away hunk of plastic to a functional piece of equipment. The X-Creen can be tilted in numerous different positions to increase/restrict airflow. It's my stock summer shield, swap it out for the Baggershield in winter.

where is that tunnel???

i must ride through it !

GONRDN
04-23-2016, 08:51 AM
My stock windshield looks great hanging from a screw mounted in the rear of my garage.

Bryster
04-23-2016, 06:36 PM
My stock windshield looks great hanging from a screw mounted in the rear of my garage.

LOL!

taxfree4
04-23-2016, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=taxfree4;116856]Tried this on the stock shield and it transformed it from a throw away hunk of plastic to a functional piece of equipment. The X-Creen can be tilted in numerous different positions to increase/restrict airflow. It's my stock summer shield, swap it out for the Baggershield in winter.

where is that tunnel???

i must ride through it !

Wyoming, there are hundreds of prehistoric, petrified alligators on top of the hill above the tunnel

DarkKnt
04-24-2016, 12:31 AM
I'm only 5' 6", and find the stock shield perfect.. I wear ear plugs and can hear the stereo at 120kph clearly. I test drove a full wing before buying the F6 and hated the lack of airflow. I can ride in the rain and not get wet, look over the screen, as opposed to through it and only take bugs to the top of my helmet. I actually considered cutting the original down an inch or so, just 'cause it looks so good. Personaly, I think the whole look of the 'B is ruined by a tall screen, but I understand you folks who feel like you have your neck stuck out a car window!

taxfree4
04-24-2016, 04:11 AM
I'm only 5' 6", and find the stock shield perfect.. I wear ear plugs and can hear the stereo at 120kph clearly. I test drove a full wing before buying the F6 and hated the lack of airflow. I can ride in the rain and not get wet, look over the screen, as opposed to through it and only take bugs to the top of my helmet. I actually considered cutting the original down an inch or so, just 'cause it looks so good. Personaly, I think the whole look of the 'B is ruined by a tall screen, but I understand you folks who feel like you have your neck stuck out a car window!

The X-Creen does just fine in the rain and you can adjust airflow till you get it right, and, it's Autobahn tested.

" but I understand you folks who feel like you have your neck stuck out a car window!"