PDA

View Full Version : Help needed making decision for shop Heat Pump ....

Navvet
04-01-2016, 08:49 AM
I need some help from any one with HVAC experience.

Since retiring, i am just putting the finishing touches on my new workshop / man-cave. Roughly 700sq ft with 12 foot ceiling (to accommodate the lift). 6" walls, well insulated walls and ceiling.

I am not afraid of diving into any project, I just tend to research them a lot. I designed this shop, dug the foundation, poured the slab, built and wired it, and even got the building inspectors to sign off on it.

I want to put in a heat pump, not to keep it perfect temp , but just to get it comfortable to work in on those 100deg summer days as well as the 15deg winter days.

First .... for 700sq ft, will a 1 ton suffice ??? 1.5 ton ??? 2 ton ???? (I have been leaning toward a 1.5 ton, 18,000 btu 16.5 seer unit)

Second .... I have pretty much settled on a ductless mini-split system. Looking at my normal supplier for HVAC, they have a MRCool DIY minisplit system for $1150.00 delivered. No HVAC tech needed for the setup and start-up. Pretty much designed to make the installation idiot proof. The reviews I have read are positive, and one of the guys I talk to at my supplier put one of these in and loves it ....

Opinions ?????

I am leaning to getting the MRCool 18K DIY. It costs a little more, but not needing an HVAC tech out to setup and hook up will save significantly more money than the increased cost.

shooter
04-01-2016, 09:23 AM
I'm no expert but I've built and lived in a few houses. My thought would be that a 1 ton unit would have done the job but being a shop with a huge door opening and high ceilings I would feel more comfortable with a 1.5 ton unit.

Navvet
04-01-2016, 09:30 AM
That was my thinking Shooter, A 12 ft door at the front and an 8 ft in the rear ....

shooter
04-01-2016, 09:46 AM
If you look at an HVAC chart they say 14,000 btu for the 700 sq ft. So high ceilings and big doors your 18,000 btu unit should be right in there.

Rickc
04-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Been selling Mitsubishi ductless for 20+ years and ductless is the way to go. 1.5 ton sounds good for the southern location, however, the longer the run cycle the more the humidity is removed. short run cycles will give you a higher humidity and feel cold and clammy like a cave.

Navvet
04-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Been selling Mitsubishi ductless for 20+ years and ductless is the way to go. 1.5 ton sounds good for the southern location, however, the longer the run cycle the more the humidity is removed. short run cycles will give you a higher humidity and feel cold and clammy like a cave.

Mainly I am looking for limited cooling, just the real hot afternoons in July and August. Most of the use will be heating in the winter. My fingers can't take working long periods below 40deg .... Fortunately I only have to deal with it for 3 or 4 months.

I have always liked the idea of the ductless units, and making them in an "Idiot Proof" DIY installation is just icing on the cake.:lolup: