PDA

View Full Version : Solution to "Mandatory" Key and access to helmet lock

DocF6B
04-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Hey,

Loving my new F6B, but the mandatory key in the rear lock to open the side compartments is quite annoying. Is there any way to override so that they are always unlocked unless I lock them?

Also, the surprisingly inaccessible helmet lock and supplied extender makes me think some designer was rushing that idea. Has anyone found a less complicated option?

Thanks!

cpt_go
04-02-2016, 02:27 PM
I use a cable gun lock to lock my helmet to my bike. Got the idea from a youtube video. I have a full face helmet that i put over my gps and lock the helmet to the handlebars through the chin guard of the helmet. Protects both helmet and gps.

unsub
04-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Hey,

Loving my new F6B, but the mandatory key in the rear lock to open the side compartments is quite annoying. Is there any way to override so that they are always unlocked unless I lock them?

Also, the surprisingly inaccessible helmet lock and supplied extender makes me think some designer was rushing that idea. Has anyone found a less complicated option?

Thanks!

Search here for spare cubby key solutions using keys [non ignition] you can leave in those lock cores, and what some members have done look fairly dressy.

As for your helmet, can't you lock it in your saddlebag? I do.

If my memory serves me the key blanks you'd use are code 27R @ home depot.

nvmyf6
04-02-2016, 04:32 PM
I don't mind having to use the key to access to the side compartments every time,

but for locking my modular helmet to the bike, I bought this, http://wingstuff.com/products/33932-heavy-duty-helmet-jacket-lock?from_search=1

The strap and lock combination is plenty long enough to go around the chin guard and grab rail, with the helmet sitting on the seat. This is a very nice item.

:biggthumpup:

STR8UP
04-02-2016, 04:55 PM
I went to Home Depot and had a spare key cut. I grinded part of the key to tread it in the large nut. You can use epoxy to secure the key in the knob. I use it to unlock the trunk and leave it in the lock.

I did the same for the gas door and storage cubby. Every thing comes from Home Depot.

VStarRider
04-02-2016, 04:59 PM
I went to Home Depot and had a spare key cut. I grinded part of the key to tread it in the large nut. You can use epoxy to secure the key in the knob. I use it to unlock the trunk and leave it in the lock.

I did the same for the gas door and storage cubby. Every thing comes from Home Depot.

The knob came from HD too?

MisterB
04-02-2016, 05:10 PM
I went to Home Depot and had a spare key cut. I grinded part of the key to tread it in the large nut.
That is a great key treatment! Probably doesn't give great grip under certain conditions but you could just put a wrench to it.
Acorn nut FTW!

Old Ryder
04-02-2016, 05:37 PM
That is a great key treatment! Probably doesn't give great grip under certain conditions
Acorn nut FTW!

That was my problem, so I came up with this

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5624-Bag-lock-finally-got-something-to-work!

STR8UP
04-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Mister B...I can unlock but I keep a socket in the left storage compartment when I need to lock and remove the key.