PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Progressive Forks

indadman
04-04-2016, 07:25 AM
I had Progressive forks and shock (lowered version, 31-2526) installed on my Honda F6B about a month ago. My bike is now beating me to death. Even a small rise from a highway to a bridge bounces the heck out of me as does any imperfection on the road.

Have anyone else on this forum had these issues with any of your forks? Could they have possibly been installed improperly (they were dealer installed)? Is there an adjustment on these forks?

I know that this is not how the bike should feel because I had the same forks installed on a 2007 GoldWing.

Any insight you might have will be appreciated.

willtill
04-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Take it back to whoever installed them and have them check it.

53driver
04-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Take it back to whoever installed them and have them check it.

+2. That ain't right.

indadman
04-04-2016, 10:20 AM
I am going to have to try to get to my dealership by Thursday morning because I am riding about 250 miles on Thursday afternoon to Austin for the MotoGP races!

SierraKen
04-04-2016, 12:53 PM
When I installed progressives on my 2004 Gl1800 it initially did the same. Try adjusting your rear preload up a little. That worked for me.

indadman
04-04-2016, 06:15 PM
For all of those who might be interested in Progressive forks, note this comment from their company tech...

The problem might be that too much fork oil might have been used. Apparently, Progressive’s fork oil capacity is significantly less than Honda’s, and adding too much oil could cause damage that would cause the forks to perform as they are now. This is taken from the installation papers:

For maximum performance we highly recommend that the forks be
disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and inspected. When installing
Progressive Suspension Monotube Cartridge fork kit, only a small
amount, 330cc left fork & 200cc right, of Honda SS8 fork oil is
required in the forks - for lubricating the internal moving parts.
The cartridge dampers are sealed. Changing the volume or
viscosity of the oil is NOT recommended and could cause
damage and/or loss of control.
DO NOT USE MORE THAN 330cc IN THE
LEFT FORK & 200cc IN THE RIGHT! -
Honda GL1800F6B

SierraKen
04-04-2016, 09:11 PM
It's clearly stated in the installation instructions about the amount of oil to use. If your installer added more than stated, I would expect them to make it right for you.

Did you try adjusting you rear preload? It really makes a difference assuming the progressives were installed correctly, I.e. Correct amount of fluid.

Steve 0080
04-04-2016, 10:34 PM
I have the same(lowering) set up and I have never had anything but a smooth as glass ride and no jarring on bumps at all....