PDA

View Full Version : Madstad users

Pap
04-05-2016, 08:27 AM
I have a Honda tall wind shield on my bike now. All the talk about the Madstad wind shield has me curious. If I bought the 11" shield, would it be lower than the 16" Honda shield?
Would it go as high or higher than my shield?
Does it give better wind/weather protection than the Honda shield?
Thanks

Geronimo
04-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Curious as well, I have a long distance trip this summer or next and have been slowly adding stuff to the bike to prepare. I value function over looks, lol so it sounds like I am inline with the Madstad users already.

choptop
04-05-2016, 08:59 AM
I was running w/ a slightly taller than stock shield for the first summer, didn't really mind the wind in my face. Had a 2,300 mile trip planned for last summer and decided that a shield w/better protection would be a good idea, decided on the Madstad. Don't really know if I have it totally "dialed"in, I wear my hair longer and If I don't wear it in a pony when riding w/the Madstad, it is not blown into a rats nest, that's how I determine it is working for me. It does make a big difference, can't speak for the many other shields, and I still get enough wind on my face to keep me happy.:icon_mrgreen:

DMAGOLDRDR
04-05-2016, 09:23 AM
I have a Honda tall wind shield on my bike now. All the talk about the Madstad wind shield has me curious. If I bought the 11" shield, would it be lower than the 16" Honda shield?
Would it go as high or higher than my shield?
Does it give better wind/weather protection than the Honda shield?
Thanks

I had the Honda tall shield on my bike (still have it in the Classified section for sale) and now have a Madstad 11" and with the three inches of travel up & down along with the angle adjustment you should be able to adj. it lower and higher than the Honda Tall.
I can't give you exact measurements because my 11" is from the original style that used a different mount and I had to drill two new holes for it to bolt up, so I can actually move my shield up or down one inch depending on which holes I use to bolt it up with.

I know with the extra movement I can either look through or over my 11"
P.S. ... I am 5'11" and sitting on a Mustang seat that is lower than a stock seat.

ths61
04-05-2016, 12:27 PM
One thing to remember, the MadStad sits further forward and thus will give the illusion of being taller for the same height when looking immediately in front of the bike.

I had a tall vented shield (see siggy pic) and I could bump my helmet on it when pulling the bike from the center stand. That doesn't happen with the MadStad.

The MadStad does a much better job of getting rid of the buffeting for both the rider and passenger once you have it adjusted properly.

I am 6' with a 32" inseam, stock seat and am running the 15" MadStad all the way down. For me the 15" all the way down worked better than the 13" all the way up.

They have a 60 day trial, so you can't go wrong.

HTH

stevenolts
04-05-2016, 02:05 PM
I rode home 10 miles or so with the original POS windshield. Lucky me I had been given great advice from the forum to replace the windshield ASAP. I ordered the F4 Customs windshield on Thursday. I picked up the bike two days later on Saturday. When I got home the F4 Customs windshield was on my porch. I used the F4 Customs 16" windshield med tint with a vent which came even up to my nose high for maybe 3 months. The F4 Customs is a very nice windshield and probably better than anything I had on my old Harley.

Once again thanks to all of the advice on the forum I decided to try the Madstad even though I was perfectly happy with the F4 Customs. I put on the extra dark tint 11" Madstad windshield and left it at the bottom setting. I am 5' 8" tall with the Mustang lower 1" seat and I love this windshield. I look well over the top / it comes I guess about to my chin. I have never needed to adjust it as it gives me just a slight breeze not blast in the face. This windshield with the extra dark tint looks fantastic on the bike. I was very concerned that at night it may be to dark. The girl at Madstad said they would replace it if I did not like it. The dark tint is not a problem in any way. This windshield along with the F6B Faring is so good that you don't even get wet in a mild to med rain unless you stop at a light. You don't even get water kick up from the road.

The F4 Customs windshield was great but I guess this is so much better I never looked back. I thought about changing it for the taller windshield once or twice over the winter but it was just not needed.
Steve

Pap
04-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Thanks all for your feedback.

lloydmoore1
04-05-2016, 05:19 PM
I have the 13" madstad and it can sit both lower and higher than my honda tall winshield with vent did. hope this helps

Pap
04-05-2016, 05:22 PM
I have the 13" madstad and it can sit both lower and higher than my honda tall winshield with vent did. hope this helps

That's what I was wanting to find out. Thanks!:yes: