PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Kappa 62.11i and Biketronics BT4180

ths61
04-05-2016, 07:46 PM
I just installed a set of Infinity Kappa 62.11i's in the dash and they sound nice with an external amp. They went in pretty quick after climbing the learning curve from the previous set of speakers (which I happened to fry one with AVC after @ 300 miles on the new amp). Depth wise, they just fit so there is no need for a spacer ring (and no external crossovers).

After pushing out a couple of the rubber mounted nuts on the first install, I found it easier to install if you slightly drill out the screw holes in the speaker bezels so they slide in and out easily versus screwing in and out. The speaker bezels on the Kappa's are not metal so you need to be careful when drilling them out. Also, you may need some slightly longer screws if you can not catch all of the rubberized nuts (I had to use 1 longer M5 .80 pitch screw, was able to catch the other 7 rubberized nuts with the stock screws).

The speaker leads are recessed so they do not catch on the rim like the plate types do.

I used some painters tape and a thin metal dremel wheel to trim at 2:30 and 9:30. Since the base is a composite material, the shavings don't get stuck to the magnet, but taping off the holes keeps any debris out of the webbing.

The tweeters rotate so you can aim them. Installing the speakers upside down with the speaker wires on the top pretty much aims the tweeters right at you, so no rotation is necessary.

The tweeters have a 0dB/+3dB switch. I have them set on 0dB and turned down the treble a bit because people claim the Kappa's to be a bit on the bright side. With some poly-fill tweeter attenuation, I don't find them to be overly bright. They seem to handle more power, but time will tell if they give up their magic smoke.

Specs:
Impedance: 2 Ohm - but measured slightly @ 2.5 Ohm
Sensitivity: 95dB
Power: RMS 75 wpc / Peak 225 wpc
Frequency Range: 45 - 25K
Hole Diameter: 129 mm
Mounting Depth: 53 mm

P.S. The Harley guys tend to like these for their durability and volume level as a gateway speaker into more high end systems (Biketronics Titan II's and Arc Moto 602's). I was considering the Biketronics BT477 Titan II's 6.5'" as my first choice, but they would require spacer rings and console cover work to fit so the Kappa (gateway) speakers were second choice.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aauj_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw7dc05589/62.11i-grp2_r_wht_cmyk_dvHAMaster.png

blueverclear
04-06-2016, 06:02 AM
Looking real good 61 and i bet they sound even better. Ive got all of my new audio components in just IMPATIENTLY WAITING for my bike to be done with the recall.

Grant

ths61
04-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Looking real good 61 and i bet they sound even better. Ive got all of my new audio components in just IMPATIENTLY WAITING for my bike to be done with the recall.

Grant

Mine is going in on Friday morning. What is up with your dealer. It is supposed to be a 2.5 hour job.