PDA

View Full Version : Putting it on a trailer

Hdnvn
04-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Now normally I'm never on a trailer. I go camping with a group year round, one of the group has a toy hauler which leaves the rest of us to using a trailer. Hit the campground, mount up and ride for the day, return and start fire, drink. Here's my question. Where are you guys tying off when trailing. The fairings too wide to use the handlebars...

robrm250
04-06-2016, 08:44 PM
I have some 12" soft ties I hook up to the handlebars then put a small towel underneath so it doesn't rub on the fairing then put on my tie straps with built in soft ties.

3Chief
04-06-2016, 08:47 PM
I know this was on the forum before somewhere...basically loop straps over the triple tree clamp. Seems to work great from what I've seen.

Travelor
04-07-2016, 03:39 AM
I use a Kendon single trailer. Soft loops around the lower triple tree/fork junctions then ratchet straps down to the trailer. No contact with bike parts so no other padding needed. For the rear, there is a massive frame junction under the side covers that a soft loop will fit around, then a ratchet strap to the trailer. DO NOT use the saddlebag protectors as a tie down point, you will break them off. If you use another soft loop around the trailer axle at the trailer frame for the lower end of the strap, you can actually put the side covers back on. If you hook the strap to the tie down loop further out on the axle the covers will not fit while trailering. While Kendon identified this "loop" as the tie down point, it looks a little weak to me so I don't use it. Trailered to Sedona, AZ and back a couple of weeks ago with no issues.

Brewdog
04-07-2016, 04:55 AM
I trailered my F6B home from the dealer after they performed the brake recall work. They told me the best way to trailer is to loop a soft grip around each handlebar grip so it cinches tight on the handle bar grip, then tied the other end of the soft tie down to the trailer D ring. I did this and also placed a tied down to each of the passenger hand grip bars. This worked great and there was no bike movement at all. With my D ring spacing, none of the tie down straps rubbed any of the plastic body panels. Hope this helps.

Dave Ritsema
04-07-2016, 06:33 AM
When I trailered mine I used soft loops on all four crash bars. The front ones pulling the bike forward into the chock and compressing the suspension maybe 2 inches and the back ones just basically holding the rear in place. Worked great. I used to trailer my Valkyrie Interstate the same way, never any issues at all.

shooter
04-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Dave that's how I trailer mine. I've probably towed mine 5 or 6 thousand miles. The secret is to have a good chock and pull the suspension down 1/2 its travel and then just snug the rear. Use safety hooks on the tie downs cause the bike will flex a little if you hit a big dip. Never have a problem this way. The reason people break the crash bars is because they cinch the straps down too hard.

stepbill
04-07-2016, 07:50 AM
I would much rather take off the two side panels and attach the soft tie to the frame of the bike, not the saddle bag guards. Talk to any Honda dealer or service center and they will warn you not to use the guards. Just my two cents...... Your bike, do what you want.

unsub
04-07-2016, 08:26 AM
When I trailered mine I used soft loops on all four crash bars. The front ones pulling the bike forward into the chock and compressing the suspension maybe 2 inches and the back ones just basically holding the rear in place. Worked great. I used to trailer my Valkyrie Interstate the same way, never any issues at all.

:yes:

valkmc
04-07-2016, 12:30 PM
http://www.leatherup.com/imagesproc/215420_H_SH355_MW400.jpg

I use this and tie off from the crash guards to the floor of the toy hauler. Very stable and easy to do.

Dave Ritsema
04-07-2016, 02:23 PM
I would much rather take off the two side panels and attach the soft tie to the frame of the bike, not the saddle bag guards. Talk to any Honda dealer or service center and they will warn you not to use the guards. Just my two cents...... Your bike, do what you want.

Not any dealer.

That's how my first Valkyrie was delivered to my house in the middle of the winter by the Honda Dealer

shooter
04-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Yeah Valk. That's the secret. I have a Baxley. When I ride the B in it at that point I can step off. I'm not sure it would fall if you pulled down the road. It doesn't take much to hold it once its in there.

Az Wingrider
04-07-2016, 04:37 PM
I also use the soft ties around the triple trees with a front wheel chock. I then use a single strap in the rear wrapped around the rear wheel then pulled out and back to D-rings and clinched down hard. If you attach to the rear wheel this way it allows the bike to move on its suspension as you travel.

It works well and you aren't near any body panels

Good Luck

zzh54
04-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Haven't had to put my F6B on a trailer as of yet, but when I had the Harley I would strap from the triple tree and rear tire. Always was comfortable with that.

Phantom
04-07-2016, 08:36 PM
I strap the bike at as many as 7 spots if necessary … NEVER on the handlebars.

I use ratchet straps that never come lose. You can pick up these 1,000# strength straps at a SAM's Club. They come 4 to a pack for only $20. I have 20-25 of them.

I have the Harbor Freight wheel chocks.

1st I use 2 soft straps wrapped around the FORK and above the lower crossbar underneath the faring on both sides. I then hook my 2 ratchet straps to the loops of the soft straps from each side and TIGHTEN down compressing at least 50% evenly on both sides. This is the PRIMARY securing method everything else is just for redundancy and prevent the rear from bouncing from side to side.

The FORKS are the strongest part of the bike in the front. I do not recommend using the handle bars :nono:

2nd, I lightly tighten and secure the bike at the front crash bars with additional ratchet straps, the crash bars are NOT meant to be pulled downward or forward, they can and will bend with excessive force and the black paint might come off if you don't wrap a terry towel around them.

3rd, I lightly tighten and secure the bike at the rear crash bars with additional ratchet straps, once again the crash bars are NOT meant to be pulled downward or forward, the rear ones just prevent the bike from bouncing from side to side.

3rd Alternate … I just wrap a strap around the rear wheel twice, hook the strap to the trailer on opposite sides and the bike will not bounce from side to side. Again wrap a terry towel around the painted rim to prevent wear of the paint.

I have never had a single bike ever fall over or come lose on my many trips. I have hauled 1 Goldwing and 3 Honda Runes at one time strapped down as i described above. Works for me.

Once in the wheel chock attaching to the front forks are the way to go.

shooter
04-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Everyone has their own method for sure. Each one seems to work. I haul my bike probably 6 times a year. So far no problems.