PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake "thud" since recall work performed

53driver
04-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Anyone feel a difference in their rear brake since the recall work?
Mine is definitely different, more responsive (but yes, there is new fluid).

What has me intrigued though, is when I step on the brake more firmly than gradually, I feel a "thud" in the rear area.
If I go gradually, no thud.
Is that air in the system working its way through?
I know it wasn't there before the recall work.

I am going to check all fasteners and fittings tomorrow in the light.

Open to ideas so when I get back to the dealer, I can have an intelligent conversation.
Cheers,
Steve

Phantom
04-07-2016, 10:57 PM

What has me intrigued though, is when I step on the brake more firmly than gradually, I feel a "thud" in the rear area.

Open to ideas so when I get back to the dealer, I can have an intelligent conversation.
Cheers,
Steve

Are you sure that you are not running over any of your Harley parts in the driveway :duck: :icon_mrgreen:

ths61
04-07-2016, 10:59 PM
Don't know. Mine is going under the knife tomorrow morning.

53driver
04-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Are you sure that you are not running over any of your Harley parts in the driveway :duck: :icon_mrgreen:

So many smart-azz comments just waiting in the wings....they'll wait until the Rally.
Speaking of Wings - you get an F6B yet?

shooter
04-07-2016, 11:34 PM
53 it does sound kinda like you may have something loose. Smart to check it. I don't know what they could have left loose on moving parts though. They shouldn't have had a caliper loose. Could be a piston sticking on the caliper. I've seen those act like that. Like you talked about I checked all my stuff the next day just in case. I don't trust anybody. Oh by the way. I don't think air in the system would act like that. A low pedal or lack of braking would be more the result of air.

shooter
04-07-2016, 11:43 PM
Sorry about those comments Tony made about Saorla. Totally unprofessional and unnecessary. I'll speak to him about it. Things like that need not happen on this forum. Can't believe he went there.;groucho;:impatient:

shooter
04-07-2016, 11:44 PM
Don't know. Mine is going under the knife tomorrow morning.

Good luck.

GaTeach
04-07-2016, 11:50 PM
My hero...

3Chief
04-08-2016, 12:01 AM

I'm fairly certain 53 does a F.O.D. walk down of his driveway to prevent such occurrences...:icon_wink:

shooter
04-08-2016, 12:08 AM
Speechless , LMAO , but speechless.

willtill
04-08-2016, 05:30 AM
I'm fairly certain 53 does a F.O.D. walk down of his driveway to prevent such occurrences...:icon_wink:

Old habits are hard to break :icon_lol:

53driver
04-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Brought me so much joy to wake up to all this love this morning.....
Thank you one and all.

Shooter - I concur with sloppy pedal or poor braking as the result of air in the system. Didn't know if this thud could also be an air issue. Thanks for the help.

wjduke
04-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Brought me so much joy to wake up to all this love this morning.....
Thank you one and all.

Shooter - I concur with sloppy pedal or poor braking as the result of air in the system. Didn't know if this thud could also be an air issue. Thanks for the help.

Maybe a brake pad not secure. I don't know how these sit, but some have ears that need to be bent over, or a metal clip might be missing.

53driver
04-08-2016, 08:26 AM

Old habits are hard to break :icon_lol:

Oh you betcha! Got me one of these to help:

98valk
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Cheers,
Steve

I would check to see if the secondary master cylinder on the front left fork is moving smoothly.

If it was sticking, it could suddenly move and cause the rear brake to activate.

It's a long shot, but what the heck. :shrug:

53driver
04-08-2016, 11:27 AM
I would check to see if the secondary master cylinder on the front left fork is moving smoothly.

If it was sticking, it could suddenly move and cause the rear brake to activate.

It's a long shot, but what the heck. :shrug:

Thanks! I hadn't thought about checking that specifically, as the effect only occurs with the rear brake pedal being applied "with purpose."
But, yes, stranger things have happened.
She's on her center stand now, I'll give it a more thorough look-see.

53driver
04-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Secondary appears to operating correctly.

We have a play date at Pensacola Motorsports on Tuesday.
In the mean time, I'll be checking and re-checking.
Oh yeah - and doing a FODwalk of my garage and driveway.

DMAGOLDRDR
04-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Is it just a sound or more of a "feel" something ??
I go back to a time when a friend had a shifting problem. He complained about how his motorcycle started shifting odd and after a few of us were tossing out thoughts someone asked if he had new riding boots. That was the problem, new boots gave him a completely different feel. So here I wonder if the brakes are maybe grabbing a touch higher than before and giving you a different feel.

Just a thought.

ths61
04-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Good luck.

So far so good, made it home in one piece in a rain storm. Needless to say, I haven't stomped on them hard yet.

My wrench is marking notches on a shelf to keep track of all of the recalls he has done to date. I got notch #62.

GaTeach
04-08-2016, 05:08 PM

FOD Walk the driveway for HD parts?????

You're my new favorite person.

blueverclear
04-08-2016, 09:42 PM
My hero...

hahaha steve they just love you here I swear lol don't worry I get the vtwin rumble brother, tell the haters :jerkit::jerkit: :icon_mrgreen::stirthepot:

My roadie that I miss so much!!! Gonna be doing a pro street build from a road star coming soon.

Grant

53driver
04-08-2016, 10:49 PM
hahaha steve they just love you here I swear lol don't worry I get the vtwin rumble brother, tell the haters :jerkit::jerkit: :icon_mrgreen::stirthepot:

My roadie that I miss so much!!! Gonna be doing a pro street build from a road star coming soon.

Grant

It's a good thing I'm a fully trained Jedi - only using my "moderator" powers for good, not evil......

MisterB
04-08-2016, 11:55 PM
I feel a "thud" in the rear area.
Honda sent me a postcard after the recall letter just to remind me there is a recall.
Replaced the 3 yr old fluid shortly after buying the B, definite improvement, maybe as good as you can get with linked brakes.
Fearful of taking to the dealer after all of the tales of woe.
Perhaps by late summer they'll have the procedure down and I'll get it done.
This BS is bad for the brand.

bob109
04-09-2016, 04:37 AM
Both the front and rear calipers have anti-rattle springs/clips which keep the pads from moving! If the clip/spring is missing you will get a "thud sound" whenever braking. When I replaced my pads earlier this year I distinctly recall having to "push" the pads against the clip/spring before inserting the pad pins! It's worth a check:039:

Item #5 in the attached diagram is the clip/spring I'm referring to! Item #6 is the pad retainer!

Sorcerer
04-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Some thing in one of your saddle bag rolling around?

shooter
04-09-2016, 04:50 PM
That's a good idea. Found it many times in customers cars. Especially if they had the jack out.

53driver
04-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Both the front and rear calipers have anti-rattle springs/clips which keep the pads from moving! If the clip/spring is missing you will get a "thud sound" whenever braking. When I replaced my pads earlier this year I distinctly recall having to "push" the pads against the clip/spring before inserting the pad pins! It's worth a check:039:

Item #5 in the attached diagram is the clip/spring I'm referring to! Item #6 is the pad retainer!

Thanks Bob - I'll check that.

Some thing in one of your saddle bag rolling around?
Cleaned 'em out before going to the dealer - but, yes, thanks.

That's a good idea. Found it many times in customers cars. Especially if they had the jack out.
My jack stays put, thank you very much. :icon_mrgreen:

shooter
04-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Thanks Bob - I'll check that.

Cleaned 'em out before going to the dealer - but, yes, thanks.

My jack stays put, thank you very much. :icon_mrgreen:

Yeah but what about the spare?

53driver
04-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Yeah but what about the spare?

Located firmly around my waist, thank you very much!

shooter
04-09-2016, 10:29 PM
20111 Neat!!

3Chief
04-09-2016, 10:31 PM
:lolup:

53driver
04-09-2016, 10:33 PM
20111 Neat!!

Would you please remove your surveillance cameras from my garage?!?!?!?!

3Chief
04-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Would you please remove your surveillance cameras from my garage?!?!?!?!

I suppose if Shooter's insisting on watching you he could at least put one outside to help with your daily F.O.D. walks...:icon_wink:

GaTeach
04-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Did you figure out the problem?

53driver
04-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Did you figure out the problem?

Nope. Still working on it.

shooter
04-12-2016, 08:34 AM
I'm gonna review my tapes and see if I can see any difference in the bike before and after they worked on it. I'll get back with ya.

53driver
04-12-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm gonna review my tapes and see if I can see any difference in the bike before and after they worked on it. I'll get back with ya.

Appreciate that....please note the positions of the torque striping on the various bolts.

willtill
04-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Appreciate that....please note the positions of the torque striping on the various bolts.

If you still have your bike and it has a center stand; put it up on it and get it in gear (running) and then have someone pull in the clutch and step on the rear brake; while you're looking underneath near the rear wheel/caliper assembly. Maybe that'll help you pinpoint the problem...

DarkKnt
04-12-2016, 09:57 AM
After having the recall done, and having read this post I went out to experiment. At moderate speeds (40-50 kph) if I apply the rear brake sharply I notice a slight "thump" as the decceleration actuates the front brake through the link system. The thump comes from the front, but can almost be felt through the brake pedal. I would presume this was always the case, just didn't notice as I didn't go looking for it... and I don't use the brakes in that manner under normal riding.

seadog
04-12-2016, 10:18 AM
FOD Walk the driveway for HD parts?????

You're my new favorite person.

You should be ashamed of yourself badmouthing our road brothers and sister. Just because they happen to like riding archaic ancient equipment is not reason to get down on them. LOL:nono:

Penguin
04-12-2016, 11:17 AM

Cheers,
Steve

If you have floating rotors check to see that the rotor is not loose on its hub. Floating rotors do just as implied. They float on the hub and are attached by small puck like discs ,about the size of a quarter. If these pucks wear and get loose the rotor can actually rattle or thump on the hub. Just a thought.

53driver
04-12-2016, 11:42 AM
If you still have your bike and it has a center stand; put it up on it and get it in gear (running) and then have someone pull in the clutch and step on the rear brake; while you're looking underneath near the rear wheel/caliper assembly. Maybe that'll help you pinpoint the problem...
Brilliant idea! Thanks. When it quits raining.....

After having the recall done, and having read this post I went out to experiment. At moderate speeds (40-50 kph) if I apply the rear brake sharply I notice a slight "thump" as the decceleration actuates the front brake through the link system. The thump comes from the front, but can almost be felt through the brake pedal. I would presume this was always the case, just didn't notice as I didn't go looking for it... and I don't use the brakes in that manner under normal riding.
I don't use my brakes that way either - normally - but the test pilot in me came out after someone else did maintenance and that's when I noticed it.
I'll go review where I felt it from - thanks.

If you have floating rotors check to see that the rotor is not loose on its hub. Floating rotors do just as implied. They float on the hub and are attached by small puck like discs ,about the size of a quarter. If these pucks wear and get loose the rotor can actually rattle or thump on the hub. Just a thought.
I would hope with 18k on the odo and still plenty of wear left on the initial brake pads, I haven't been killing my pucks enough to wear them as you noted, but it's definitely worth looking at! Thanks.

blueverclear
05-02-2016, 04:22 AM
Steve, did you pinpoint the problem with the brakes yet? I actually felt the same thing as we were leaving Panama city beach this morning. My wife also felt it so I know I wasn't going crazy and of course I just got my bike back from the dealer and they recall was done while it was there.

Grant

53driver
05-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Steve, did you pinpoint the problem with the brakes yet? I actually felt the same thing as we were leaving Panama city beach this morning. My wife also felt it so I know I wasn't going crazy and of course I just got my bike back from the dealer and they recall was done while it was there.

Grant

No, I did take it back and the senior GW tech rode it and all he said he could feel was the front caliper engaging.
I also had them flush the front brakes as well (16k service item) so.....

And? I haven't felt it in a long while. Maybe it was trapped air. When I ride today, I'll go purposefully looking for it. If I can make it repeatable, I'll have the tech ride on the back and demonstrate the discrepancy.

blueverclear
05-02-2016, 09:47 PM
No, I did take it back and the senior GW tech rode it and all he said he could feel was the front caliper engaging.
I also had them flush the front brakes as well (16k service item) so.....

And? I haven't felt it in a long while. Maybe it was trapped air. When I ride today, I'll go purposefully looking for it. If I can make it repeatable, I'll have the tech ride on the back and demonstrate the discrepancy.

hahahaha good luck taking her for a ride :stirthepot::stirthepot:

I know i know :spank::spank::spank: looking forward to it! lmao

53driver
05-02-2016, 10:00 PM
hahahaha good luck taking her for a ride :stirthepot::stirthepot:

I know i know :spank::spank::spank: looking forward to it! lmao

Couldn't make it repeat yesterday - at all.
Tomorrow is oil change day so we'll have to get her up to temperature - I'll see if I can repeat the discrepancy.

strickf6b
05-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Rear brake problem. Had the Honda recall done back in in December with a little over 20,000 miles on it I have noticed lately that at a slow speed ( around 25 miles per hour) applying the rear brakes and only the rear brakes I get a vibration at first hit of the rear brake pedal if you hold it down it immediately goes away if you're using the front brakes on and apply rear brakes it does not happen.

Well I just left my Honda dealership talk to the Head mechanic. And what he told me he is that the brake shudder is a byproduct of the new secondary master cylinder which has a orifice that is 5 times larger than the original secondary master cylinder orifice I was not on the bike at the time but he told me to bring it by any time and let him take it out and make sure that's what it is. there is a possibility that there is air taped in the system....

53driver
05-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Rear brake problem. Had the Honda recall done back in in December with a little over 20,000 miles on it I have noticed lately that at a slow speed ( around 25 miles per hour) applying the rear brakes and only the rear brakes I get a vibration at first hit of the rear brake pedal if you hold it down it immediately goes away if you're using the front brakes on and apply rear brakes it does not happen.

Well I just left my Honda dealership talk to the Head mechanic. And what he told me he is that the brake shudder is a byproduct of the new secondary master cylinder which has a orifice that is 5 times larger than the original secondary master cylinder orifice I was not on the bike at the time but he told me to bring it by any time and let him take it out and make sure that's what it is. there is a possibility that there is air taped in the system....

Okay...that's a good data point - that the orifice is 5x larger. That would make sense and lend to my hypothesis about the thud being there and then going way once worked through. I need to check the fluid levels tomorrow AM.

Thank you!

blueverclear
05-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Okay...that's a good data point - that the orifice is 5x larger. That would make sense and lend to my hypothesis about the thud being there and then going way once worked through. I need to check the fluid levels tomorrow AM.

Thank you!

Well I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the dealer to check it out again just to make sure its nothing at all. It did it a lot more today and it was very noticeable to me, I took a 280 mile back road ride today and I noticed it towards the end of the ride.

Grant

hgslayr
05-12-2016, 09:59 PM
After the recall work I have a thud noise if braking fast and at slow speeds especially in a turn around and I tap the rear brakes I get a pulsing from the brakes..Even put it on the center stand and put it in 1st gear and hold the rear brake down and the wheels vibrates...Took it back to the dealer where they have bumped me behind paying customers and have had it for a week with no word yet...My guess is there is air trapped in the calipers and linked brake system and im betting they didnt bleed them correctly...Speed bleeders or bungeeing the front brake handle overnite and a weight hung on rear peddle will push the air out and solve the problem...Wish I had tried that before taking ot back...Anyone else have similar symptoms?

grendl
05-13-2016, 07:38 PM
I'm a little confused here guys. The brake recall ,as I understand it is to replace a piece in the back and another on the front(sorry I cant think of what they are called).
I was shown these parts when I had mine done and neither of them were part of the rear brake pads or calipers.
Then the fluid is drained and replaced.
Are we thinking a part of the rear brake is loose or out of place? Am I mistaken in thinking that none of that should have been touched?

willtill
05-14-2016, 06:18 AM
I'm a little confused here guys. The brake recall ,as I understand it is to replace a piece in the back and another on the front(sorry I cant think of what they are called).
I was shown these parts when I had mine done and neither of them were part of the rear brake pads or calipers.
Then the fluid is drained and replaced.
Are we thinking a part of the rear brake is loose or out of place? Am I mistaken in thinking that none of that should have been touched?

Only thing that they are going to touch on the calipers is the bleed fittings, when they bleed the old brake fluid out and replace with new fluid.

hgslayr
05-18-2016, 08:27 PM
So Roseville Honda has had my 2015 deluxe for almost 2 weeks and now are trying to tell me the thud sound and the pulsing brake is normal and Honda wont cover it and they wont even replace the secondary master cylinder again and basiccally are telling me thats the way it is...I told them ive been riding over 40 years and never owned a bike with brakes that pulse and cause vibration...He said he is doing another recall tomorrow and will test to see if the new one pulses and will call Honda to try to get it covered again...I hate when someone tries to convince you that some that is wrong is right...SMH