PDA

View Full Version : Best Recurve Windshield?????

blueverclear
04-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Im not 100% happy with my windshield which is a tall shield with no vent off of a regular wing i think. I would like something with a recurve in it because i prefer to look right over the shield. I would also like a vent in the shield. I was really looking into the taka long view shields Any reviews or suggestions?

http://www.longrideshieIds.com/default.asp (http://www.longrideshields.com/default.asp)

http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/honda/gold-wing-gl1800-shields/

those were the only 2 I could find. I know they have the klock works, which I had on my last bike, but I wasnt in love with the buffeting at all especially for the price so I wont be purchasing another one. Oh, and although im sure the windbender and the madstad are great, and I totally understand why some would buy them and the technology behind them, they are waaaaay too ugly for my taste lol no offense to the guys that have them but I couldn't do it even if someone gave it to me for free lol.

Grant

Greg O
04-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Grant, I have a 15" Clearview Light Smoke tint with the vent and I am happy with it.

shooter
04-11-2016, 07:20 PM
I have a Clearview that I like. Its a little short for me but it does a good job. Looks good on the bike also.

ths61
04-11-2016, 07:20 PM
... Oh, and although im sure the windbender and the madstad are great, and I totally understand why some would buy them and the technology behind them, they are waaaaay too ugly for my taste ...

Hey there Mr. Fashionista, check out the vented VStreams from National Cycle. They seem to get good reviews.

HTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL5DptnGWq4

http://wingstuff.com/products/24215-vstream-quantum-hard-coated-windshield-for-gl1800

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/009/160/original.png

Steve 0080
04-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Grant, I have a 15" Clearview Light Smoke tint with the vent and I am happy with it.

Great shied...long wait!

Az Wingrider
04-11-2016, 10:29 PM
As I mentioned in a previous thread I have a Windbender and I am very satisfied with it. I have the dark smoke windshield and I look over it. I have no problem with wind buffeting and ride with it the lowest setting. They are a little pricey but I feel they are worth the money. This is the second bike I have had one on. The previous bike was a GL1800.

vmaxed
04-12-2016, 05:43 AM
I have a 15" Clearview Light Smoke tint with the vent :yes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/2015%20Honda%20F6BD/2015-05-27%2008.45.16.jpg

I like it so much I put one on my Wing :icon_wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/2014%20Honda%20Gold%20Wing/2015-11-13%2010.45.06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/2014%20Honda%20Gold%20Wing/2015-11-13%2010.44.57.jpg

98valk
04-12-2016, 10:33 AM
I have a 16" clearview dark tint of which I like the looks and the performance. Though, I wish that they had offered a 17".

I have no vent because of several reasons. I am not impressed with the air flow from a vent on my other shield. Didn't like great big bugs splattering through it. It is a smooth cleaner look without it. And the baker air wings give me all the air I could want.

Fla_rider
04-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Clearview- I got the vent, cuz here in Florida Baker Wings aren't enough! Looking over is a non issue.

3962 3963 3964

Patch
04-12-2016, 12:43 PM
5'11" 31 inch inseam (long body) so my big head is pretty high up. I also wear a helmet 100% of the time. I too have been looking, and these are my findings.

I bought the bike with 12053 miles on it. I just hit 18000 as I rolled it in to my garage on Friday night after riding home from work. All this time, it had the Klock Werks 11" Recurve (no-vent) windshield on it.

1. It's a great looking windshield (opinion). Mine is dark tinted.
2. The re-curve on it is what I would consider the sweet spot for curvature. It puts the flow of air around the rider at a decent path all the way around the shield. While the shield itself tended to get a lot of bug traffic on it, not once did I ever get hit by a bug in the last 5947 miles. This tells me that the air sweep is pretty ideal. I never had to clean my helmet or its screen.
3. It's fine for two-lane riding at 60 mph or slower...40-45 being pretty optimal. You can hear the radio, even at higher speeds but at a cost to sanity.
4. I would not recommend it for super-slab cruising above 60mph for anyone taller than 5'7" (which is what I craned my back and neck to in order to get out of the wind). Yes, I did ask my wife to measure me in squat mode. I think the buffeting of the head is way to much...like eyeball rattling bad. My one time on the 85mph tollway here was my last with this windshield. Bobblehead in hell.
5. Cost (opinion) is a little on the high side.

I just installed the Clearview windshield 16" dark with recurve and vent. I ordered it March 22nd, just received it April 8th, so nearly 3 weeks. This weekend I was able to put 580 miles on the bike and got a fairly decent spread of super-slab, four-lane, two-lane and county road riding in, plus the tollway.

1. Another good looking windshield, albeit taller than the Klock model. Between the two, I like the look of the Klock Werks unit.
My initial fit testing went well, but I wasn't able to stretch her out on Friday evening before I completed the install after removing the protective plastic sheets.
2. The re-curve on this one has me baffled a little. I still look over the windscreen by a decent amount (easily within the 50ft ground mark) at it's highest setting (this one is adjustable...which is nice). The shield gets alot of bug traffic that not only hits it, but spatters the little suckers. One could harken this to the size, but there is more. Unlike the Klock Werks...I've been getting hit by bugs on the helmet screen and above, and not just a couple of times, but a lot. It's almost annoying how much because I spend just as much time cleaning the helmet as I do the windshield. Klock Werks re-curve wins here in my opinion.
3. I had no problem with wind buffeting up to 85mph (yes, there is still some but as the wind sweep is just at the forehead level, it's no where near that of the Klock Werks. Radio comes in nicely as high as I wanted to go.
4. No squat required, although I did do so to find that it makes a nice pocket of nearly clean air hunched down a tad.* (* a tad is a distance between "not enough" and "to the point of being goofy") I would say the buffeting on the head, in my case, is likened to a gentle tap of a bobblehead...yeah, its there, but your eyeballs aren't going to want to be on vacation elsewhere.
5. Cost (opinion) is decent for the size.

I may look into the V-stream next. I had one on a previous bike (M109) and it really did a good job of pushing the air out and around me. Much better pocket than I had thought it would give and holy hell they aren't kidding about the physical protection either. It didn't have a vent, but the price is really nice at over $100 less than the others...and it does have a slight curvature to it, it's just slightly different.. Seeing others post about higher speeds and some screen buffeting doesn't bother me...it's not a framed windshield. I expect it to take the brunt of force and handle it. It looks like the one for the F6B is nice and wide, has the vent available and is still well priced.

Just thought I would share my experience with the models I have with the common point being the recurvature. BTW, that Taka-S screen looks to have a similar upper curve to a Klock model.

blueverclear
04-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Thanks for all of the review, definitely gives me something to think about for sure. Thats interesting what was said about the klock works windshield that I didn't really anticipate. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to try a bunch???? lol

So no reviews on the taka huh? read some reviews on the gl1800 some good and some really bad but just wondering.

One thing I can say about the clearview is that the re-curve is there I supposed but not as pronounced as the kw or taka. Keep the reviews coming!!!!!

Grant

blueverclear
04-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Hey there Mr. Fashionista, check out the vented VStreams from National Cycle. They seem to get good reviews.

HTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL5DptnGWq4

http://wingstuff.com/products/24215-vstream-quantum-hard-coated-windshield-for-gl1800

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/009/160/original.png

So do you have the windshield for the f6b or for the regular wing and what size? I was looking for one with a vent if possible and I dont really see the option for a vent with the f6b windshield only the standard wing vstream

ths61
04-12-2016, 11:50 PM
So do you have the windshield for the f6b or for the regular wing and what size? I was looking for one with a vent if possible and I dont really see the option for a vent with the f6b windshield only the standard wing vstream

Hi Grant,

I have the waaaaay too ugly 15" MadStad pictured here: http://shop.rockstorephotos.com/p737325943/h7c4623d5#h7c4623d5 :icon_wink:

I haven't tried the VStream, just know it is one of the recurves and has received good reviews. You maybe able to install the full wing version on the F6B. I know others have installed full wing shields on the B.

Also, FWIW, Klock Werks makes a 16" for the B and they also have full wing versions that may fit the B. I don't think anyone here has reviewed the 16" B version.

willtill
04-13-2016, 05:44 AM

Hi Grant,

I have the waaaaay too ugly 15" MadStad pictured here: http://shop.rockstorephotos.com/p737325943/h7c4623d5#h7c4623d5 :icon_wink:

I haven't tried the VStream, just know it is one of the recurves and has received good reviews. You maybe able to install the full wing version on the F6B. I know others have installed full wing shields on the B.

Also, FWIW, Klock Werks makes a 16" for the B and they also have full wing versions that may fit the B. I don't think anyone here has reviewed the 16" B version.

Yes, this has been done. I like it a lot:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4980-New-Vstream-and-Ultimate-Midrider-seat-fitted&highlight=Vstream

SimonTemplar
04-16-2016, 01:22 AM
Can't take it from you guys any longer. Broke down this afternoon and placed an order for a Medium (14") Clearview Recurve with vent in Light Smoke.

For a couple months now I've been back and forth in my mind between the Clearview and the LRS Taka-S Recurve. Finally went with the Clearview as they claim to be thicker than OEM whereas LRS admits they are thinner. The LRS recurve appears more pronounced than the C/V (which I like)...but I fear for the LRS' ability to resist cracking and etc over time.

Can't wait. (Especially as I don't know how long I WILL be waiting. [sigh!] )

....sT

willtill
04-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Can't take it from you guys any longer. Broke down this afternoon and placed an order for a Medium (14") Clearview Recurve with vent in Light Smoke.

For a couple months now I've been back and forth in my mind between the Clearview and the LRS Taka-S Recurve. Finally went with the Clearview as they claim to be thicker than OEM whereas LRS admits they are thinner. The LRS recurve appears more pronounced than the C/V (which I like)...but I fear for the LRS' ability to resist cracking and etc over time.

....sT

Just my humble offer of unsolicited advice for you... I am 5' 10" tall and I had ordered and received the "medium" Clearview recurve sport shield. I still get helmet buffeting at speed with it. I should've/would've/could've ordered the "large" shield instead....

With how measured Clearview is with their windshield creation process, you may be able to call them back Monday and ask them to change your order to a "large"....

98valk
04-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Just my humble offer of unsolicited advice for you... I am 5' 10" tall and I had ordered and received the "medium" Clearview recurve sport shield. I still get helmet buffeting at speed with it. I should've/would've/could've ordered the "large" shield instead....

With how measured Clearview is with their windshield creation process, you may be able to call them back Monday and ask them to change your order to a "large"....

I second this. :yes:

shooter
04-16-2016, 06:37 PM

....sT

Simon , did you order a Medium or a 14" which is a small. A Medium is 15 to 15.75 inches. I have a small which is a little too short but is a compromise for the hot weather. I'm 6'1" and I think a 16 inch would be about right.

SimonTemplar
04-17-2016, 01:02 AM
Simon , did you order a Medium or a 14" which is a small. A Medium is 15 to 15.75 inches. I have a small which is a little too short but is a compromise for the hot weather. I'm 6'1" and I think a 16 inch would be about right.

Sorry about that...it was late and in some circles I am famous for typos. Ordered a medium (....15") Probably should have gone the Large route, but I just don't like the look of the longer shields. A little buffeting I am willing to put up with. I came to the F6 from an 1100 Katana...so Im really sort of accustomed to fighting the wind.

I am, however, wondering whether the vent was a mistake. Not sure how useful it is going to be.

....sT

willtill
04-17-2016, 07:19 AM
Sorry about that...it was late and in some circles I am famous for typos. Ordered a medium (....15") Probably should have gone the Large route, but I just don't like the look of the longer shields. A little buffeting I am willing to put up with. I came to the F6 from an 1100 Katana...so Im really sort of accustomed to fighting the wind.

I am, however, wondering whether the vent was a mistake. Not sure how useful it is going to be.

....sT

It helps in the summer... at least on my medium recurve. You can definitely feel the air coming from it as it hits your torso.

Look at post #9 above for for Fla_rider's pictures... he has a large Clearview Sport touring and it doesn't seem to be very tall; as compared to the medium. It's only an inch difference... more so if you raise it up further in regard to the range of adjustment built into it.

glide one
04-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Grant I replaced my Honda tall (cut down to 15) with the 14 LRS Taka dark tint
The wind goes over the top of my helmet and I like the wind management
no problem looking over the shield.

Be safe
Glide

blueverclear
04-18-2016, 01:31 AM
Grant I replaced my Honda tall (cut down to 15) with the 14 LRS Taka dark tint
The wind goes over the top of my helmet and I like the wind management
no problem looking over the shield.

Be safe
Glide

Thanks Jim. I will be going to the Thunder Beach Rally In panama city in a couple weeks maybe we can meet up and I can reexamine your shield and grab some lunch! I will be in touch buddy!

Grant

SimonTemplar
04-19-2016, 12:30 AM
.......With how measured Clearview is with their windshield creation process, you may be able to call them back Monday and ask them to change your order to a "large"....

Another thing I am wondering about: Why I paid nearly $60 for priority shipping only to find out they intend to schlep it off to <$18 USPS Priority Mail. (not to mention that, with the habits of my local postal office...that's a sketchy crap shoot at best.)

As for changing my order.....I got an email bright and early this AM (Monday morn) saying thanks for your money and they are presently running a 10-14 day timetable. And then this afternoon the order status now says 'completed'. Not sure at all what that is supposed to mean.

....sT

willtill
04-19-2016, 06:50 AM
Another thing I am wondering about: Why I paid nearly $60 for priority shipping only to find out they intend to schlep it off to <$18 USPS Priority Mail. (not to mention that, with the habits of my local postal office...that's a sketchy crap shoot at best.)

As for changing my order.....I got an email bright and early this AM (Monday morn) saying thanks for your money and they are presently running a 10-14 day timetable. And then this afternoon the order status now says 'completed'. Not sure at all what that is supposed to mean.

....sT

They have a interesting way of keeping you apprised with each step of their windshield creation process. "Completed" means that the first step of the process was completed. You'll see more emails coming at you with updates. :icon_wink:

Clearview windshields are quality shields. nice and thick. Thicker than the V stream windshield I ordered and received for the colder months; longer trips.

Worth waiting for.

SimonTemplar
04-20-2016, 01:07 AM
They have a interesting way of keeping you apprised with each step of their windshield creation process. "Completed" means that the first step of the process was completed. You'll see more emails coming at you with updates. :icon_wink:

Oh Gawd!!! I DO hope they don't actually use the phrase 'creation process'. I'll be much happier if they just 'manufacture' me a windscreen instead.

Every time some PC company starts using terms like 'creation process', I get mental pictures of hordes of hipsters sitting around working while telling each other how great it will be when they can quit and just have Bernie give them everything for free.

.....sT

53driver
04-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Slight deviation ( :hijack: ) but if you want to see some actual quotes from some business "leaders" try this site:
http://www.buzzwords4u.co.uk/

"Come - let us go truffling in the Forest of Knowledge."

..and several other beauties.

willtill
04-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Slight deviation ( :hijack: ) but if you want to see some actual quotes from some business "leaders" try this site:
http://www.buzzwords4u.co.uk/

"Come - let us go truffling in the Forest of Knowledge."

..and several other beauties.

Man... been checking out that site. If it wasn't so true... it would be funny :shock:

Example: Automation fuels margin acceleration, which escalate exponentially by our chosen multipliers

I think I have had past managers stay up late; brushing up their business vernacular with this site :icon_lol:

53driver
04-20-2016, 09:20 AM
I think the Naval Supply Corps patented most of those....