PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars

JetBlackWing
04-12-2016, 05:29 PM
I was wondering it anyone has a late model Valkyrie sitting nearby their F6b to be able to compare stock handlebar differences and if they mount to the triple tree the same way. My F6B is a 2013 model.

I prefer to raise mine alittle, pull them back, but also kick the outsides or the grip position forward, more like a street bike feel and look, but don't want to spent $700-800 to accomplish this. If so, I might try to purchase a Valkyrie bar.

Sorcerer
04-12-2016, 06:15 PM
Are you referring to the 1500 or the 1800 Valk? The F6B 1800 bars and mounts are completely different from the 1500. You can go to Partszilla to see what an F6B looks like.
Edit: Just went and looked. Our F6B is standard Gold Wing bars, 2 piece handle bars. The new 1800 Valk handle bars are round tubing. Top triple tree is entirely different.

JetBlackWing
04-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Are you referring to the 1500 or the 1800 Valk? The F6B 1800 bars and mounts are completely different from the 1500. You can go to Partszilla to see what an F6B looks like.
Edit: Just went and looked. Our F6B is standard Gold Wing bars, 2 piece handle bars. The new 1800 Valk handle bars are round tubing. Top triple tree is entirely different.

Yes, I was referring to the late model Valk, 1800cc. Might be hard to tell, but wondering it the Valk bars would mount to the F6B, and how the bar/grip position might be different. Bringing them back alittle, and up alittle will be in the cards no matter what is done, but also kicking the outside of the grips forward is a must too. I got to do something with this stock grip location and position, which to me is kinda like a old pre 60s style adult bicycle handle bar position. :icon_rolleyes:

Jimmytee
04-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Yes, I was referring to the late model Valk, 1800cc. Might be hard to tell, but wondering it the Valk bars would mount to the F6B, and how the bar/grip position might be different. Bringing them back alittle, and up alittle will be in the cards no matter what is done, but also kicking the outside of the grips forward is a must too. I got to do something with this stock grip location and position, which to me is kinda like a old pre 60s style adult bicycle handle bar position. :icon_rolleyes:

The 1800 Valkyrie has more traditional type of handlebars. Not interchangeable.

kenny urban
04-15-2016, 12:20 PM
The 1800 Valkyrie has more traditional type of handlebars. Not interchangeable.You should ride one,,I had to almost LAY-ON the gas tank, to make a TIGHT U-turn.
Also they have a HUGE Flex to them.

Wing'n it
04-15-2016, 12:34 PM
I know they are expensive but Helibars and be done with it! Worth every penny.........

BIGLRY
04-15-2016, 02:17 PM
I know they are expensive but Helibars and be done with it! Worth every penny.........
I concur 100% :icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
04-15-2016, 03:19 PM
You should ride one,,I had to almost LAY-ON the gas tank, to make a TIGHT U-turn.
Also they have a HUGE Flex to them.

I have rode one.:icon_cool:

JetBlackWing
04-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Thanks. (I not getting these replies via email, don't think I gotten any since I joined the forum) I gonna have to say, and I might seem tite to some, I don't want to spend $900 for to correct what Honda got wrong (for many)... Just saying $900 is hard to come by here at my place, so looking outside the box for a solution, I might try the much cheaper mount adaptors.

opas ride
04-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Thanks. (I not getting these replies via email, don't think I gotten any since I joined the forum) I gonna have to say, and I might seem tite to some, I don't want to spend $900 for to correct what Honda got wrong (for many)... Just saying $900 is hard to come by here at my place, so looking outside the box for a solution, I might try the much cheaper mount adaptors.

I personally don't think Honda got the handlebar set-up wrong..It has, and does work for hundreds of riders with GW's and F6B's..Some prefer aftermarket options and some don't..Bars are like seats, shields, pipes, oil types etc. Just depends on what makes one happy when riding..Most of the changes made to handlebars are done to accommodate the different heights, arm lengths, and personal preference for individual riders which no manufacturer can do with a "one size fits all" mentality.....Get what works for you and enjoy the ride...The stock bars work just fine for me!!....Ride safe

ths61
04-20-2016, 09:56 PM
I personally don't think Honda got the handlebar set-up wrong..It has, and does work for hundreds of riders with GW's and F6B's..Some prefer aftermarket options and some don't..Bars are like seats, shields, pipes, oil types etc. Just depends on what makes one happy when riding..Most of the changes made to handlebars are done to accommodate the different heights, arm lengths, and personal preference for individual riders which no manufacturer can do with a "one size fits all" mentality.....Get what works for you and enjoy the ride...The stock bars work just fine for me!!....Ride safe

IMHO, the F6B bars were designed for the average midget riding on the gas tank. The wrist angle is all wrong unless you want carpal tunnel.

Rob41
04-20-2016, 10:49 PM
I have read nothing but good regarding the Helibars and plan to get a set myself. Seems to me it's like having 20 or 30 different sets of bars to play with till you find the ones that work for you.

Jimmytee
04-21-2016, 05:40 AM
I didn't think the OEM bars were bad. Felt pretty good,at the start.
After the first time I spent more than an hour on the bike, I noticed a soreness/pain in my neck and shoulder areas.
I wrote it off.
After a few more times, realizing that my pain was directly related to riding my new F6B, I purchased the Kury risers.

Problem still there, maybe even worse.
It was either Helibars or I was facing the decision to part with my newly acquired F6B.

I ponied up the $800 for the Helibars and it has been bliss ever since. Not one issue with the pain I was getting from the stock bars.

I do believe it had more to do with the grip angle than anything else. I think the angle of the OEM grips/bars had the muscles in my neck and shoulder tensed up the whole time riding.

LPMojo
07-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Bumping this back up.

I got the dreaded pain across the base of the neck and shoulders when I took the F6B on her maiden voyage to Albuquerque, New Mexico. This is after installing the Kuryakyn risers. Those risers pull the handlebars in some, and that really doesn't feel right. I'm going to swap the risers to the wrong side and see how much that pushes the handlebars out.

I have a feeling that it's going to take a lot of experimentation to get the bars in a position that is comfortable for the long haul.

willtill
07-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Thankfully I don't have any negative experiences with the stock handlebar position. For once. :icon_cool:

edgeman55
07-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Bumping this back up.

I got the dreaded pain across the base of the neck and shoulders when I took the F6B on her maiden voyage to Albuquerque, New Mexico. This is after installing the Kuryakyn risers. Those risers pull the handlebars in some, and that really doesn't feel right. I'm going to swap the risers to the wrong side and see how much that pushes the handlebars out.

I have a feeling that it's going to take a lot of experimentation to get the bars in a position that is comfortable for the long haul.

I am fortunate that the stock bars work fine for me.From all that has been said about them in the most positive way except maybe for cost it sounds like Helibars are the way to fix your problem.