PDA

View Full Version : windshield for rain - Madstad and others

Davidk
04-15-2016, 01:25 PM
I am 5'4". I purchased the tall OEM windshield and am quite pleased with it for riding, but since I see through it, not over it, when it rains it gets covered with water. Since rain still hits my face, I need to use the shield on my helmet-- I normally ride without using the helmet shield. The combination of water on the helmet shield and windshield completely blinds me.

Seems to me that the only way to have a chance of seeing in the rain is to look over the windshield instead of through it. I purchased the 11" Madstad, and installed it this morn. I rode for about 90 minutes and tried it low, medium and high and at various angles. All of them leave me with quite a bit of wind in my face and more highway buffeting than what I had with my tall OEM windshield. I doubt that I would want to ride on the highway for an hour or more. I need a ride in the rain solution if I am to ride the 6 hours to the rally.

Suggestions?

F6B1911
04-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Get a big biker chick for that trip, make sure she has a fresh batch of clean rags.
Just tap her on her leg when you want her to wipe your visor.

willtill
04-15-2016, 02:45 PM
This is the first unfavorable review I have heard about the Madstad.

:popcorn:

GONRDN
04-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Try Rainex on your helmet shield when in rain. Works for me. The rain just beads off instantly.

wjduke
04-15-2016, 03:11 PM
I am 5'4". I purchased the tall OEM windshield and am quite pleased with it for riding, but since I see through it, not over it, when it rains it gets covered with water. Since rain still hits my face, I need to use the shield on my helmet-- I normally ride without using the helmet shield. The combination of water on the helmet shield and windshield completely blinds me.

Seems to me that the only way to have a chance of seeing in the rain is to look over the windshield instead of through it. I purchased the 11" Madstad, and installed it this morn. I rode for about 90 minutes and tried it low, medium and high and at various angles. All of them leave me with quite a bit of wind in my face and more highway buffeting than what I had with my tall OEM windshield. I doubt that I would want to ride on the highway for an hour or more. I need a ride in the rain solution if I am to ride the 6 hours to the rally.

Suggestions?

I have a 2-1/2 day ride to the rally and back....it's not going to rain :joke:

Davidk
04-15-2016, 03:34 PM
I have a 2-1/2 day ride to the rally and back....it's not going to rain :joke:

Are you the gent that is meeting Shooter in MO?

Davidk
04-15-2016, 03:36 PM
This is the first unfavorable review I have heard about the Madstad.

:popcorn:

i saw the great reviews also which is why I purchased it. It has a lot to do with rider size and shield height. Taller riders with taller shields may be different. The taller shields may push a larger portion of the air upward? It may also be personal tolerance for wind

shooter
04-15-2016, 03:37 PM
I don't know if I would use the word gent or not.

shooter
04-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Get a big biker chick for that trip, make sure she has a fresh batch of clean rags.
Just tap her on her leg when you want her to wipe your visor.
Best solution I've heard!!!

Davidk
04-15-2016, 03:56 PM
I don't know if I would use the word gent or not.

I alway assume someone is a gent until proven otherwise :)

Jayrock
04-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Davidk, when I extend my 11" Madstad to its full height, the adjustable portion of the windshield is as close to the same angle of the fixed portion of the windshield as I can make it. The air (and rain) seems to go right over my head. Last weekend I tried pushing the windshield forward slightly (closer to 90 degrees) to see what it would do. I noticed that I could hear and feel a lot more wind. Could it be the angle of your windshield?

Davidk
04-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Davidk, when I extend my 11" Madstad to its full height, the adjustable portion of the windshield is as close to the same angle of the fixed portion of the windshield as I can make it. The air (and rain) seems to go right over my head. Last weekend I tried pushing the windshield forward slightly (closer to 90 degrees) to see what it would do. I noticed that I could hear and feel a lot more wind. Could it be the angle of your windshield?

It could be the angle. I tried several angles and didn't feel much of a difference between them. I will keep trying

wjduke
04-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Are you the gent that is meeting Shooter in MO?

Yes, but "gent" is way too kind.

Davidk
04-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Yes, but "gent" is way too kind.So you are the schmuck that i have to ride to AR with? Is that better??

willtill
04-15-2016, 06:31 PM
i saw the great reviews also which is why I purchased it. It has a lot to do with rider size and shield height. Taller riders with taller shields may be different. The taller shields may push a larger portion of the air upward? It may also be personal tolerance for wind

Yes, and the vendor(s) recommendations for sizing often don't help either, when you are trying to determine what will work for you.

Take for instance Ultimate seats. They say that the Mid Rider is their main seat that will fit most; but we are finding out from testimony on the forum that the King seat fits more riders better; despite sizing measurements that Ultimate seats recommends. Hence is why I have flipped the coin towards the purchase of a King seat, rather than the Mid Rider seat size.

Windshields are seemingly a crap shoot as well sometimes... as I am discovering with a second purchase of an aftermarket windshield. :icon_doh:

Steve 0080
04-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Suggestions?

When in the rain, I raise the shield as high as it will go and tilt it forward as far as it will go and speed up!!! I stay dry till I slow down!

F6B1911
04-16-2016, 04:40 AM
When in the rain, I raise the shield as high as it will go and tilt it forward as far as it will go and speed up!!! I stay dry till I slow down!

+1
Seadog and I rode from Detroit to Cleveland last summer, it rained the whole time, my 11" Madstad kept me dry.
My gloves were a bit wet, though.

wjduke
04-16-2016, 06:34 PM
So you are the schmuck that i have to ride to AR with? Is that better??

That sounds more like what I'm used to hearing...ya, as long as I get there in one piece....and dry we hope.

Dirtstiff's F6B
04-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Bagger Shield with the 22" section on keeps us both dry.

F4 Customs
04-21-2016, 04:30 AM
Just a side note.
The F4 Customs windshield has a coating that is baked into the shield and they shed rain extremely well. If you want to use Rain X you can but you will not need it.

SierraKen
04-22-2016, 01:01 PM
I have used the Windbender shield on my 6 and previously on my 2004 wing. It's easily adjustable and I can see over it in all positions. In the rain I raise it up a notch and at speed the rain goes over my head. I'm 5'10 and ride on a mustang seat. I can definitely rcommend the Windbender. No buffeting and quiet and still behind the shield.

Davidk
04-22-2016, 05:02 PM
I have used the Windbender shield on my 6 and previously on my 2004 wing. It's easily adjustable and I can see over it in all positions. In the rain I raise it up a notch and at speed the rain goes over my head. I'm 5'10 and ride on a mustang seat. I can definitely rcommend the Windbender. No buffeting and quiet and still behind the shield.

I am talking with them next. I think the recurve will help