PDA

View Full Version : Cagers.

shooter
04-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Wife and I have been doing a whole house remodel for about 6 months. We completed a big project this morning and with a free afternoon decided to RTE for supper. We both love Pasta House. Round trip about 80 miles to the one we frequent. Nice ride going down. Bad coming back. On the hwy in the hammer lane about 5 miles from the restaurant cruising about 75 in heavy traffic. This little punk comes flying up on the inside and slammed on his brakes cause a car was just in front of me in the other lane. I look over and he is texting. He doesn't even look up. He immediately comes over in my lane with me. At this point I'm evading as hard as I can while laying on the horn. I think my wife was trying to get off at this point. Thank god there was a nice shoulder by the median. Just as I hit the white line doofus woke up and realized he had screwed up. He had his window down and I never appreciated my modular helmet more. I questioned his lineage , his heritage and even mentioned his mom. He got off at the next exit. So then traffic thinned out and we was moving along really good when some A-Hole in an Avalanche is coming up hard. I'm running about 80 at this point and he dives to the inside lane , deja vue , and can't go anywhere. You know guys when traffic is heavy you just go with the flow. And it was flowing pretty good. Not good enough for this prick. So at 80 this prick rolls his window down and tells me I'm number 1 while at the same time cutting in front of me. So at 80 mph his rear bumper was about 8 ft in front of me. He couldn't go anywhere cause there was a red Toyota up there. I believe people should have more respect for bikes than that. It was a dangerous move at best. It bothers me when the wife is on and people do those things. Be extra careful guys. The road is full of idiots. Take care of yourselves and your passenger. Ride defensively and remember , that car outweighs you 5 times over. I wanted to kick both their azzes , but what do you do. The guy in the Avalanche is the one that pissed me off the worst. He acted like it was my fault he couldn't run 100 mph in 80 mph traffic. He was a young punk also. I don't have anything against young guys , just punks. I ride with my nephew and my son all the time. Both are great examples of responsible young men. I think this kind of behavior is more prevalent at the beginning of riding season. Watch those cagers.

Az Wingrider
04-16-2016, 08:59 PM
I agree that living with the Cagers is becoming more difficult every year. Distracted drivers are the biggest problem and tougher laws prohibiting texting or talking on cell phones while driving are needed. Most of my close calls involve distracted drivers and more lights and Hi Viz clothing don't help if they are not looking. Riding defensively helps but it is impossible to anticipate some of the moves these idiots are going to make.

I work as the curator in a motorcycle museum and there are a lot of people that come into the museum and say they gave up riding because the drivers and heavy traffic in the cities scare them.

I have no clue what the answer is but I ride as if the cagers are all trying to kill me. Getting out of the city and getting on some good country roads makes everything good again but the cities are a real challenge.

Keep riding and keep smiling. We can't let them take away our joy

MisterB
04-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Even without the distraction of cellphones there is this desire to get ahead of everyone even if there is no true gain.
For years I have wondered if many drivers need glasses because they race to get ahead of everyone even when there is a red light shining 300 feet away.
Some people drive as if the only thing holding them back from full throttle is that bothersome vehicle in front of them. They jockey to get around but are confronted by yet another bothersome vehicle.
They continue like this all the way home, I've seen it. Constantly switching lanes when there is a tiny gap to slip into.
These are people who lack basic pattern recognition. If you've never driven the highway in an area you may think that the current thing keeping you from going full throttle is a temporary thing that you can get around. But if you've traveled it more than once you HAVE to realize that it will continue like this because all of these other people extend for miles ahead and behind.

I travel 270/255 in St. Louis every weekday, you'd think that people would notice the patterns, but they don't.
Same for Big Bend. There are traffic lights that cycle and they don't cycle faster if you race to them and stomp on the brakes.
How many of you have had someone ROAR around you only to get no further ahead than one car length?

There's a bike rider I see during the summer who will change lanes 20+ times on 270, always trying to get ahead. We often arrive at the same stoplight in Columbia together, I didn't change lanes once.
Same with a few other cars and Dodge Rams I've gotten used to seeing behave the same way every day.

30 years ago we'd get a ticket for going 5 over, I seldom see police any more. Prolly all quit thanks to the current anti-LEO BS. Wouldn't blame them.

I take Lindbergh Blvd. to work in the morning, it keeps my blood pressure down.
Hopefully all of the idiots will eventually realize that we're all in this together and just go with the flow.
Shooter, good to hear about your son and your nephew, maybe they will help balance things.

Oh yeah, just FYI, I'd never seen truly distracted driving until I drove on hwy 40 east a couple years ago, don't know if it's a local phenomenon but it was WILD. I never see it that bad on 270 or Lindbergh. (text text text...)
Beware.

shooter
04-16-2016, 10:16 PM
B I don't envy you on 270/255. That's traffic at its worst. My wife closes her eyes when we ride on that at rush hour.

GaTeach
04-17-2016, 01:24 AM
How was the pasta?

wjduke
04-17-2016, 05:02 AM
It's the same story you hear, doesn't matter what part of the country you're in. I had a great ride solo yesterday to NH, and there were some hairy moments, especially where I thought a lane change was coming from a car on the side of me. Twice in Boston going through the tunnel. I wear a hi-viz vest now with my winter jacket and I believe it helps. The summer jacket I bought has hi-viz built in. Not warm enough for that yet, but as one who's been hit, it seems like they see me better. It's all I can suggest besides having your head on a swivel. I'm off again shortly to CT to ride with a former 9er ( peregrine ) who now rides a Vic. It'll be more of the same coming back on 95. Getting there this early won't be too bad.

Oh, and I love this bike....I know, you're all surprised to hear that. Over 3,400 miles now and it's still cold out there. At least 300 more today. Low 60's and clear blue skies. It'll feel like summer...finally.

seadog
04-17-2016, 05:06 AM
Respect for others on the highway has gone right out the window in the last 20 years and gets worse by the year. Me first seems to be the theme and to hell with you is the attitude of the day. I wasn't at all sorry when I retired from my career driving semi tractor trailers for a living. I was just happy to be alive after 36 year of driving seeing where this traffic problem was getting worse. To all those me first attitude cagers :moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::m oon::moon::moon:

Old Ryder
04-17-2016, 06:16 AM
I know it was back in the "Stone Age" but when I was learning to drive the catch phrase was "courteous driving". I can't remember the last time I heard that. Now the phrase is Road Rage.

willtill
04-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Yeah.. was posting in another forum about our "lawless" society. There are laws prohibiting texting/cellphone usage while driving; but that is largely ignored. More than half the cagers I see are normally doing just that.

Never been so appreciative of my headlight modulators... I'm a huge proponent for them. But they are not the "save all" to insure you get home unscathed on your bike.

I am also finding a change in my personality as when the dumb azzes on 4 wheels do stupid chit. Doesn't seem to anger me as much as it used to. Guess I'm going "with the flow" regarding that. I've realized that I can't change each dumb azzes behavior.... again it's a lawless society out there on the road. I just resign myself to the fact that I'm going to see it demonstrated repeatedly against me, while operating my motorcycles and to prepare for such azz-hattery. :jerkit:

shooter
04-17-2016, 07:20 AM
How was the pasta?

It was good Teach. Baked Mostaccioli with Meatballs smothered in Cheese. Totally bad for me and I eat it all. I did eat a salad first.

Steve 0080
04-17-2016, 07:56 AM
WIIFM= Whats in it for me....I think this is a fairly new term going around...seems to fit most younger folks!

pickensf6b
04-17-2016, 08:20 PM
People now could care less about anyone else on the road. My wife and I were less than a mile from home , turning left off a 4 lane when i checked my mirror and here came a girl passing me in the median. My turn signal must have ment nothing. Im hard too anger but my blood boiled immediately. My wife knowing me the way she does spoke 3 words "Let It Go"

lgjhn
04-17-2016, 10:56 PM
I had a young gal in a Toyota Rave pass me on a 4-lane doing at least 75 in a 65.
As she passed me, I noticed that she was texting. I backed off the throttle a little as she was slowly drifting into my lane...right where I would have been had I not backed off.
She suddenly realized she had drifted over and yanked the wheel hard back to the left lane and almost skidded out barely recovering from it.
Texting while driving is worse than a drunk driver IMHO. It needs to be made illegal with severe penalties; ie: like losing your license or maybe some actual jail time for repeat offenders. It's a serious and dangerous issue and needs to be addressed with some serious penalties.

MisterB
04-18-2016, 12:36 AM
Technology has made it very simple to text and drive, I plug in my phone whenever I get in the car, while driving I simply say " hey Siri... text my wife", Siri responds "OK, what do you want to say to Christine?", I'll respond "Take Lindbergh, the highway is jammed, I love you!", Siri says, "OK, are you ready to send it?", I respond "Yes" and off it goes.
I never have to touch a button or look away from the road.
Unfortunately this is the exception. With all of this technology I still see people juggling their phones and other paraphernalia, many have the tech built into their cars that would allow them to do what I've described but are too dense to figure it out?
Engaging in an actual conversation with someone in the car is much more distracting. Imagine the distraction of a trucker using a CB or a kid switching 8 track tapes. Much worse than simply talking.
Looking at directions through a hazy piece of plastic on a tank bag? Imminent crash and burn.

Make the playlists ahead of time, set the podcasts to play unplayed episodes in order, use these tools to enhance your trip but don't physically interact with them while driving.
I think I'd rather see someone typing away on an IBM Model M balanced on their steering wheel than trying to peck away at a virtual keyboard with 1/4" keys.

Hmmm, consider that we all may be wrong in our assumption that people are "texting". As I've described it's a simple enough process to do without ever touching the phone.
It wouldn't surprise me if they are checking Facebook, scourge of the modern world*. They may actually be looking at whatever it is people post or tweet and responding to it.
I'll see if there have been any studies on this.

*(I know, I know, everybody loves the Facebook. Trust me, it will be the Opti-Grab of our time)

edit: I could even do this with my Sena headset while riding the B, but I have to hold the button down to get Siri going and it's not something I'm comfortable with. My wife knows to call me if I'm riding because all I have to do is say "hello" and it automatically answers. Full disclosure: I don't talk much on the phone, she's only called me twice while I was riding. Once was to test the system. Unlimited minutes, too beat down by years of punitive cellphone service to use them.

taxfree4
04-18-2016, 12:48 AM
Wife and I have been doing a whole house remodel for about 6 months. We completed a big project this morning and with a free afternoon decided to RTE for supper. We both love Pasta House. Round trip about 80 miles to the one we frequent. Nice ride going down. Bad coming back. On the hwy in the hammer lane about 5 miles from the restaurant cruising about 75 in heavy traffic. This little punk comes flying up on the inside and slammed on his brakes cause a car was just in front of me in the other lane. I look over and he is texting. He doesn't even look up. He immediately comes over in my lane with me. At this point I'm evading as hard as I can while laying on the horn. I think my wife was trying to get off at this point. Thank god there was a nice shoulder by the median. Just as I hit the white line doofus woke up and realized he had screwed up. He had his window down and I never appreciated my modular helmet more. I questioned his lineage , his heritage and even mentioned his mom. He got off at the next exit. So then traffic thinned out and we was moving along really good when some A-Hole in an Avalanche is coming up hard. I'm running about 80 at this point and he dives to the inside lane , deja vue , and can't go anywhere. You know guys when traffic is heavy you just go with the flow. And it was flowing pretty good. Not good enough for this prick. So at 80 this prick rolls his window down and tells me I'm number 1 while at the same time cutting in front of me. So at 80 mph his rear bumper was about 8 ft in front of me. He couldn't go anywhere cause there was a red Toyota up there. I believe people should have more respect for bikes than that. It was a dangerous move at best. It bothers me when the wife is on and people do those things. Be extra careful guys. The road is full of idiots. Take care of yourselves and your passenger. Ride defensively and remember , that car outweighs you 5 times over. I wanted to kick both their azzes , but what do you do. The guy in the Avalanche is the one that pissed me off the worst. He acted like it was my fault he couldn't run 100 mph in 80 mph traffic. He was a young punk also. I don't have anything against young guys , just punks. I ride with my nephew and my son all the time. Both are great examples of responsible young men. I think this kind of behavior is more prevalent at the beginning of riding season. Watch those cagers.

The main thing is you guys were OK, like I say when you get on that bike you have to bring your "A" game every single time. It is heartwarming to read what some people will do for a dish of macaroni, brings a tear to my eye. So for loyalty to flour, egg, salt and a little olive oil, with some cheese on top, a tribute to Shooter- Jerry please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRel_nHpAQU

As far as the guys who cut you off - get the plate numbers next time - nothing a hand grenade under the driver's seat tied with fishing line to the door won't cure. The only that will be going through his mind when he sits down is -------- his ass.