PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from DFW - Prospective Owner

LPMojo
04-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Hey there, :039:

As a prospective owner of a Honda F6B, I thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm Bobby, live in the DFW, TX area, and have been riding the same 2002 Harley Night Train for the past 12 years.
I'm 42, and have grown tired of the Night Train for anything longer than a quick jaunt around town. It's been a wonderful bike, I love it, but it's time for something new.
I test drove a 2016 Road Glide and Street Glide. They were great, but I wasn't sold on them, especially for the price.
I decided to drop into a Honda dealership last Thursday after seeing a CTX leaving a gas station.
I didn't care so much for the CTX up close, but the F6B caught my interest.
I test drove one yesterday, and I have to say, that is the smoothest riding motorcycle I've ever been on. I quickly felt at home and confident on it. I didn't want to take it back in from the test drive.
I've had, going backwards before the Night Train, a 2003 FZ1, unlimited access to a 90 ZX7, 84 V65 Magna, 79 GS750 and my first bike, 80 Honda CM400T.
The F6B was feels smoother and more comfortable than any of those bikes.
A few personal niggles with the F6B:
Windshield needs about 4" more.
I'd like to move the seat and foot pegs down and forward an inch - or maybe just add hiway pegs.
Not much room between the gear shifter and the fairing.
I'd like to hear the motor a bit more going down the road.
I wonder how easy it is to work on, with all of that plastic covering everything up. Plastic, ugh.
That's it. All easily fixable.
Good things:
Awesome motor. I see no need for a 6th gear with that motor. It pulls in any gear at any rpm. Just great.
Handling is superb. I've read reviews of how it feels heavy in parking lots. I found it super easy to maneuver at any speed, including pushing it around with feet. No need for a reverse, imo. My NT may be 200lbs lighter, but it feels heavier at slow speeds or when pushing it around.
Suspension is nice. The F6 soaks up bumps that would have me lifting off the seat of the NT so as to not jar my spine.
Brakes are excellent. Slows down that beast of a motorcycle like it was a tiny Honda Rebel.
Radio sounds better going down the road than that of the Road Glide. It's still not great at more than neighborhood speeds, but I think a taller windshield would help.
The controls and gauge panel are laid out better than the Road Glide, imo. Easier to see and do things, no hunting around.
Back seat looks to be very comfortable for my gf, who is pretty much done doing any kind of rides on the back of the NT, even with the Sundowner seat and back rest.

I'm now in the process of shopping for the best price. My local dealership can only do $19600 + ttl for a 2015 deluxe. I found the same model for $16,380 about 1000 miles away. I'm not opposed to flying in and driving a new bike 15hrs home to save over $3000. Sounds like fun, actually. I found a 2013 standard for $15000 only 2 hours away. I'm trying to decide how important cruise control is to me. That's the only difference between the two bikes that really concerns me. The back rest and black pipes I can do with the extra $$ left over, and I could have the 2013 tomorrow. I have a bike jack, no need for the center stand. So, is cruise control worth about $3000 after travel and ttl?

Anyway, didn't set out to write a long post. I guess I'm rather excited about buying a new bike. I found this forum while researching the F6. It has already been a great resource for me. It seems to be full of courteous and friendly members. Unlike my close friends who are already busting my chops about potentially going metric.
Hopefully, I can look forward to chatting with y'all about the new bike in the near future.

-Bobby

Greg O
04-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Look around I've seen 2015 deluxe for $17,000

Steve 0080
04-17-2016, 02:23 PM
'welcome gang' to the board and good luck in your search !!! We have a rally coming up in Sept...try to attend !

Greg O
04-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Welcome, I'm with you I came from riding an Electra Glide Classic, and this Goldwing is the smoothest riding motorcycle I have ever ridden. You will want highway pegs and a taller windshield, these are the first 2 things I purchased after I bought my bike

LPMojo
04-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome and advice! I'm open to any suggestions about making a purchase. And thanks for the rally invite. Sounds like fun.

At first I was planning on keeping the NT, but now not sure I would ride it much with the F6 in the garage.

53driver
04-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Welcome Bobby.
We have a few members in the DFW area and I get back there once every few months to visit the parental units - usually riding Isleen.

Best of luck in your search. I've never had cruise control and therefore I don't miss it.
People who have had it - either HD, BMW, or Wing - seem to be the ones missing it.
I guess it depends upon your intentions - if you are planning lots of cross country trips in the next 10 years, maybe cruise is a good idea. If not, get some after market mufflers. Even the after market cruise control is available for about $1k if you decide you need it down the road.

There is a slight difference in the transmission in the 2013s. Honda redesigned 4th & 5th gear interfaces for 2014 and up.

New in box 2013s and 14s are out there. Just can be hard to find.

Used ones pop up on this board at least once a quarter.
Happy hunting!
Cheers,
Steve

Spanky
04-17-2016, 05:23 PM
I have a 2013 all set up for 12500
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8414-2013-F6B-standard-with-all-the-goodies

I'll even pick you up at the airport.

53driver
04-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome and advice! I'm open to any suggestions about making a purchase. And thanks for the rally invite. Sounds like fun.

At first I was planning on keeping the NT, but now not sure I would ride it much with the F6 in the garage.

FWIW: I kept my 95 Heritage Special. The "Office of Management and Budget" (aka wife) has acquiesced to my keeping two bikes (which is down from 5).
In all honesty, I don't ride Saorla as much as Isleen, but I like knowing Saorla's there, especially if I am working on Isleen and she's down for more than a few days.

53driver
04-17-2016, 05:31 PM

$12.5k now....THAT'S a deal!

Spanky
04-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Purchased mine in Phoenix AZ, Break in was 2250 miles. Most fun I have had on 2 wheels. Came from 2011 Ultra classic Limited, Wife had my 2006 Street glide. Managed to ride 750 miles a day for 3 days. Not even tired at the end of the day.

Brewdog
04-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Hey there, :039:

I'm now in the process of shopping for the best price. My local dealership can only do $19600 + ttl for a 2015 deluxe. I found the same model for $16,380 about 1000 miles away. I'm not opposed to flying in and driving a new bike 15hrs home to save over $3000. Sounds like fun, actually. I found a 2013 standard for $15000 only 2 hours away. I'm trying to decide how important cruise control is to me. That's the only difference between the two bikes that really concerns me. The back rest and black pipes I can do with the extra $$ left over, and I could have the 2013 tomorrow. I have a bike jack, no need for the center stand. So, is cruise control worth about $3000 after travel and ttl?

Bobby,
Cruise control was worth finding a 2015 Deluxe model for me. I do a lot of touring on the interstates and major highways and I won't have a big without it. It's not easy to add if you get the earlier model. All the other options you described above come with the Deluxe package. The center stand is fantastic. Good luck hunting a 215 hour road trip home sounds like a blast.

LPMojo
04-17-2016, 07:33 PM

PM'd

FWIW: I kept my 95 Heritage Special. The "Office of Management and Budget" (aka wife) has acquiesced to my keeping two bikes (which is down from 5).
In all honesty, I don't ride Saorla as much as Isleen, but I like knowing Saorla's there, especially if I am working on Isleen and she's down for more than a few days.

I'm thinking right now to keep the NT around for a year and see what kind of action it gets. I don't want to wake up one day missing the Harley. I'd rather have it there to jump on if I get the itch. But if it hasn't seen any action in a year, I'll cut it loose.

Bobby,
Cruise control was worth finding a 2015 Deluxe model for me. I do a lot of touring on the interstates and major highways and I won't have a big without it. It's not easy to add if you get the earlier model. All the other options you described above come with the Deluxe package. The center stand is fantastic. Good luck hunting a 215 hour road trip home sounds like a blast.

Thanks for the input. I don't do a lot of touring. I can see that changing with the purchase of the F6. I know cc would come in handy for the rides I do take to OK, TX panhandle or hill country.

Welcome Bobby.
We have a few members in the DFW area and I get back there once every few months to visit the parental units - usually riding Isleen.

Best of luck in your search. I've never had cruise control and therefore I don't miss it.
People who have had it - either HD, BMW, or Wing - seem to be the ones missing it.
I guess it depends upon your intentions - if you are planning lots of cross country trips in the next 10 years, maybe cruise is a good idea. If not, get some after market mufflers. Even the after market cruise control is available for about $1k if you decide you need it down the road.

There is a slight difference in the transmission in the 2013s. Honda redesigned 4th & 5th gear interfaces for 2014 and up.

New in box 2013s and 14s are out there. Just can be hard to find.

Used ones pop up on this board at least once a quarter.
Happy hunting!
Cheers,
Steve

Thanks for the welcome and info. I didn't know about the redesigned gearing. I test drove a 2013. What does the gear change do?

Az Wingrider
04-17-2016, 08:00 PM
I waited and bought a 2015 because cruise is important to me. I do a lot of long rides and the cruise makes a huge difference. Western Honda in Scottsdale, Arizona is selling 2015 deluxe's for $1699.00 plus ttl. That is where I bought mine and I had a friend fly in from New Mexico to buy a new Wing from them. They are the cheapest I could find. They are still advertising new 2013 and 2014 f6bs but I think they bring them in from the Calif. Warehouse.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

LPMojo
04-17-2016, 08:29 PM
I waited and bought a 2015 because cruise is important to me. I do a lot of long rides and the cruise makes a huge difference. Western Honda in Scottsdale, Arizona is selling 2015 deluxe's for $1699.00 plus ttl. That is where I bought mine and I had a friend fly in from New Mexico to buy a new Wing from them. They are the cheapest I could find. They are still advertising new 2013 and 2014 f6bs but I think they bring them in from the Calif. Warehouse.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome!
That's where I found the 2015 for $18838 out the door. Then I'd have to pay the difference in TX tax when I got it home. Seems to be the best deal I can find on a 15.
So right now my options are:
$12500+ trip and ttl for used 2013
$16260 for new 2013 close by
$18838 + trip and tax for 2015

Decisions decisions. 🙂

lgjhn
04-17-2016, 09:42 PM
Hi Bobby.
I just bought a '15 Deluxe with 2290 miles in Ft. Worth just this past week. Beautiful blue bike....not a scratch on her, had the Madstadt windshield already and an extended warranty for about $16K.
I picked her up this past Thursday and trailered her home.
I put 300 miles on the bike yesterday and all I can say is "WOW!!!"
I've been riding since a little kid, and I've owned many tour bikes in the past, including Harleys, and still own a Gold Wing trike.
But, I'm gotta tell ya: This F6B is very quickly weaseling it's way into being the best bike I've ever owned....so far.
The best way I can describe it is: "a Gold Wing engine in a Street or Tour Glide" but even better...LOL.
Everything you listed as negatives can be remedied. I just ordered a driver's back rest, Ergo II hi-way pegs and some other goodies.
Once you get the bike fitted to you, it makes a sweet machine into the ultimate machine.
The Wing/F6B is probably not the easiest bike to work on but after getting familiar with the processes, it's not all that bad.
Hope you find a good deal.

LPMojo
04-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Hi Bobby.
I just bought a '15 Deluxe with 2290 miles in Ft. Worth just this past week. Beautiful blue bike....not a scratch on her, had the Madstadt windshield already and an extended warranty for about $16K.
I picked her up this past Thursday and trailered her home.
I put 300 miles on the bike yesterday and all I can say is "WOW!!!"
I've been riding since a little kid, and I've owned many tour bikes in the past, including Harleys, and still own a Gold Wing trike.
But, I'm gotta tell ya: This F6B is very quickly weaseling it's way into being the best bike I've ever owned....so far.
The best way I can describe it is: "a Gold Wing engine in a Street or Tour Glide" but even better...LOL.
Everything you listed as negatives can be remedied. I just ordered a driver's back rest, Ergo II hi-way pegs and some other goodies.
Once you get the bike fitted to you, it makes a sweet machine into the ultimate machine.
The Wing/F6B is probably not the easiest bike to work on but after getting familiar with the processes, it's not all that bad.
Hope you find a good deal.

Congrats on the new bike! Your review mirrors so many I have read...seasoned riders finding one of the best bikes they've ridden. I think Honda hit a home run, even if there are still some new 2013 models out there.
So, uh, thanks for buying my bike a week before I knew I wanted it. :icon_lol: Where did you get it at? Did you decided to find a 2015 instead of an older one?

lgjhn
04-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Congrats on the new bike! Your review mirrors so many I have read...seasoned riders finding one of the best bikes they've ridden. I think Honda hit a home run, even if there are still some new 2013 models out there.
So, uh, thanks for buying my bike a week before I knew I wanted it. :icon_lol: Where did you get it at? Did you decided to find a 2015 instead of an older one?

Yes Sir. I wanted a '15 Deluxe for the cruise control, passenger backrest, center stand, and better paint. Love that blue.
I found it in the classifieds right here on this forum about 2 weeks ago.
It belonged to Pseudo-Fed and we made the deal but I couldn't get up there to pick it up till this past week.
Personally, IMHO, if you can rustle up a '15 Deluxe, it's the one to get for the above reasons.
I also looked online and there are 2 dealers in Arkansas that had some brand new '15s for sale fairly reasonable, but ya gotta call em.
Honda of Russellville was one. The other was Heartland Honda in Springdale, AR.
Matter of fact, on the Heartland web site they are showing a '15 Deluxe on sale right now.
I'd call both of em and see what kind of deal they'll cut ya. That is what I was about to do when I stumbled onto Pseudo-Fed's bike.

LPMojo
04-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Yes Sir. I wanted a '15 Deluxe for the cruise control, passenger backrest, center stand, and better paint. Love that blue.
It belonged to Pseudo-Fed and we made the deal but I couldn't get up there to pick it up till this past week.
Personally, IMHO, if you can rustle up a '15 Deluxe, it's the one to get for the above reasons.
I also looked online and there are 2 dealers in Arkansas that had some brand new '15s for sale fairly reasonable, but ya gotta call em.
Matter of fact, on the Heartland web site they are showing a '15 Deluxe on sale right now.
I'd call both of em and see what kind of deal they'll cut ya. That is what I was about to do when I stumbled onto Pseudo-Fed's bike.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

stevenolts
04-18-2016, 05:26 AM
Welcome / (I had a 2010 HD Fatboy and the F6B makes me barley look back) I bought the 2013 standard black $13600 out the door with extended warranty and road side

It sounds like you have been reading the forum and have most of the needed add on's already figured out.

I can recommend a few things from you comments.

Seat: Mustang Day Tripper - puts you down an inch
Windhield: Madstad (the best I have ever had) The stereo will get much louder
Cruise Control: I added the aftermarket cruise control (works great / a real project to install) Nice on long trips
Maintenance: Other than oil changes you won't need to do much

You are right this is the best bike / I love it more every day / ride it and you will believe.
Steve

Patch
04-18-2016, 09:06 AM
FWIW, I picked up a used 2013 on Feb 19th for $12,500 from a dealer here in Austin. Traded my previous bike in and walked out only owing $5200. Like you, I had the chance to test ride one a couple of weeks before the purchase and didn't want to return it. I don't regret the buy at all. I've since racked a hair over 8,000 miles on it. My previous bike, I had used for commuting and a few weekend outings and over the course of a year and a half only managed to put 10K miles on it.

I love this bike. I find excuses to ride it. Never had cruise control before, think it might be nice to have on my upcoming national tour on the bike but definitely wasn't a deal-breaker.
Kury Ergo III pegs are a great addition...the riding position is good but my knees need that stretch now and then.
Swap out the windshield unless you find a bike where someone has done it already. My bike came with a Klock Werks. I don't like wind hitting me directly in the neck and face. Some don't mind it.
Servicing the bike is easy, except for the aircleaner, but it's not that difficult to get to. I ordered a service manual but won't see it for another few months apparently. No problems thus far figuring stuff out on my own and with the help of this forum. There is alot of great tidbits of info...and plenty of folks that tickle the funnybone. Probably the nicest bunch for a forum I've ever been part of, and that's saying alot since I've been on forums before there was a fully public internet. (back when 300 and 1200 baud modems were used to connect to FidoNet)
The plastics, while there is a ton of it on the bike, are easy to remove, easy to paint, and relatively easy to get back on.
If you are comfy with the seat, stick to it unless you start feeling butt-burn or some other issue. I've logged 3 tanks of fuel (just off the bike long enough to fill it up) without having to get off and walk around a bit at the fourth and it was more for leg/knee discomfort than butt. I think the stock seat is awesome.
There are some great deals on well-maintained used F6B's.

Enjoy!

LPMojo
04-18-2016, 11:11 AM
Welcome / (I had a 2010 HD Fatboy and the F6B makes me barley look back) I bought the 2013 standard black $13600 out the door with extended warranty and road side

It sounds like you have been reading the forum and have most of the needed add on's already figured out.

I can recommend a few things from you comments.

Seat: Mustang Day Tripper - puts you down an inch
Windhield: Madstad (the best I have ever had) The stereo will get much louder
Cruise Control: I added the aftermarket cruise control (works great / a real project to install) Nice on long trips
Maintenance: Other than oil changes you won't need to do much

You are right this is the best bike / I love it more every day / ride it and you will believe.
Steve

Nice deal on a new bike! Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check em out once the bike is in the garage.

FWIW, I picked up a used 2013 on Feb 19th for $12,500 from a dealer here in Austin. Traded my previous bike in and walked out only owing $5200. Like you, I had the chance to test ride one a couple of weeks before the purchase and didn't want to return it. I don't regret the buy at all. I've since racked a hair over 8,000 miles on it. My previous bike, I had used for commuting and a few weekend outings and over the course of a year and a half only managed to put 10K miles on it.

I love this bike. I find excuses to ride it. Never had cruise control before, think it might be nice to have on my upcoming national tour on the bike but definitely wasn't a deal-breaker.
Kury Ergo III pegs are a great addition...the riding position is good but my knees need that stretch now and then.
Swap out the windshield unless you find a bike where someone has done it already. My bike came with a Klock Werks. I don't like wind hitting me directly in the neck and face. Some don't mind it.
Servicing the bike is easy, except for the aircleaner, but it's not that difficult to get to. I ordered a service manual but won't see it for another few months apparently. No problems thus far figuring stuff out on my own and with the help of this forum. There is alot of great tidbits of info...and plenty of folks that tickle the funnybone. Probably the nicest bunch for a forum I've ever been part of, and that's saying alot since I've been on forums before there was a fully public internet. (back when 300 and 1200 baud modems were used to connect to FidoNet)
The plastics, while there is a ton of it on the bike, are easy to remove, easy to paint, and relatively easy to get back on.
If you are comfy with the seat, stick to it unless you start feeling butt-burn or some other issue. I've logged 3 tanks of fuel (just off the bike long enough to fill it up) without having to get off and walk around a bit at the fourth and it was more for leg/knee discomfort than butt. I think the stock seat is awesome.
There are some great deals on well-maintained used F6B's.

Enjoy!

Another great deal. You guys aren't helping my GAS any, just making it worse! Do motorcycle forums use the term GAS(gear acquisition syndrome)? I use it often on the guitar forums. That's great info, I appreciate. You folks have been great already!

The new 2013 close by for $16g otd sold. None of the local dealers are wanting to budge on price for a 2015. I'm going to shop around. There are still some 2013s out there for $13999, not too far away. Hoping to pull a 2015 for a good price.

LPMojo
04-18-2016, 03:34 PM

Just want to say thanks again for the heads up. Just put down a deposit with Russellville. They beat the Arizona price and are 10 hours closer to home. I fly in next Monday to fetch it. :icon_biggrin:

lgjhn
04-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Just want to say thanks again for the heads up. Just put down a deposit with Russellville. They beat the Arizona price and are 10 hours closer to home. I fly in next Monday to fetch it. :icon_biggrin:

I think Russellville was one of my suggestions to you last night on here.
It was the best I could do seeing where I bought that '15 pristine blue one right out from under ya.....sorry 'bout that.
Let us know how ya like it once ya have it. The more I ride mine, the more I love it.
LJ

LPMojo
04-18-2016, 08:29 PM
I think Russellville was one of my suggestions to you last night on here.
It was the best I could do seeing where I bought that '15 pristine blue one right out from under ya.....sorry 'bout that.
Let us know how ya like it once ya have it. The more I ride mine, the more I love it.
LJ

Yessir, your post led to my purchase. 🙂 Can't wait til next Monday.
One thing that's weird, they advertise on eBay that they'll pick up a buyer at the airport, which is an hour away. When I asked about getting to them from the airport, the sales person said most folks use a rental car. I wonder if the free ride is only for the folks who pay the asking price on eBay. The eBay ad also mentions a 22% discount on accessories for anyone buying the f6b. Wonder if I can a deal on a windshield for the ride home.
Regardless, can't wait to get it and take the long way home thru Arkansas and Oklahoma. Gonna be a blast!

Az Wingrider
04-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Congratulations on the new and enjoy the ride home

Once again welcome to the forum

lgjhn
04-18-2016, 11:26 PM
Yessir, your post led to my purchase.  Can't wait til next Monday.
One thing that's weird, they advertise on eBay that they'll pick up a buyer at the airport, which is an hour away. When I asked about getting to them from the airport, the sales person said most folks use a rental car. I wonder if the free ride is only for the folks who pay the asking price on eBay. The eBay ad also mentions a 22% discount on accessories for anyone buying the f6b. Wonder if I can a deal on a windshield for the ride home.
Regardless, can't wait to get it and take the long way home thru Arkansas and Oklahoma. Gonna be a blast!

Congrats on the purchase!!! Glad I could help in some small way. If I were living close by, I'd drive ya up there to pick her up.
As you probably already know, that stock windshield is pretty much the pits. I'd definitely have a full face or a flip helmet for the trip back....LOL...and don't forget the earplugs. You'll need em.
The one I purchased already had the Madstadt on it and I'd highly recommend it, or a Klockworks Flare.
The Madstadt is no prize in the aesthetics arena but it sure does work really, really well
I have the Flare on my GW trike and it, too, works and looks great. Either one of those in super dark gray would do well on the B. But I gotta tell ya; that Madstadt has definitely grown on me though even as ugly as it is.
Just an FYI: Make sure they check the final rear drive fluid level before you leave outta there. There have been some of these not filled up all the way. Russellville is known to be a darn good dealer so I would expect them to have already done it, but I'd ask to be sure. Give it a good, thorough walk-around and make sure it's to your satisfaction before you leave there. Let us know how it all goes and about the trip back. Stay safe too!!!

LPMojo
04-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Congratulations on the new and enjoy the ride home

Once again welcome to the forum

Thanks!!!

Congrats on the purchase!!! Glad I could help in some small way. If I were living close by, I'd drive ya up there to pick her up.
As you probably already know, that stock windshield is pretty much the pits. I'd definitely have a full face or a flip helmet for the trip back....LOL...and don't forget the earplugs. You'll need em.
The one I purchased already had the Madstadt on it and I'd highly recommend it, or a Klockworks Flare.
The Madstadt is no prize in the aesthetics arena but it sure does work really, really well
I have the Flare on my GW trike and it, too, works and looks great. Either one of those in super dark gray would do well on the B. But I gotta tell ya; that Madstadt has definitely grown on me though even as ugly as it is.
Just an FYI: Make sure they check the final rear drive fluid level before you leave outta there. There have been some of these not filled up all the way. Russellville is known to be a darn good dealer so I would expect them to have already done it, but I'd ask to be sure. Give it a good, thorough walk-around and make sure it's to your satisfaction before you leave there. Let us know how it all goes and about the trip back. Stay safe too!!!

I always wear ear plugs for extended highway riding. I wonder if that will change with a taller windshield and less wind noise.
That Madstadt is not my thing. Not gonna do it, no matter how well it works. :)
Thanks for the tip on the final rear drive fluid level. I'll mention it before I get down there.
Man, this is going to be a long week.

Rexxers
04-20-2016, 07:17 PM
Congrats on the new ride, I just picked mine up from Freedom Powersports in Fort Worth last Saturday. A brand new 2014 (non deluxe) with a Zumo 665LM and luggage rack for 15.3 LOVE THIS BIKE. This weekend is putting all the farkles on that the FEDEX man is supposed to be dropping off tomorrow. Maybe Ill see ya out and about here in DFW.

lgjhn
04-20-2016, 07:27 PM
LPMoJo,
Just an FYI....I finally got a few minutes today and put mine up on the lift table to double-check the differential fluid.
I was about 2 oz. low. That's half empty or half full however you want to look at it.
I went ahead and drained it and added the full load of Amsoil 75W90 to it.

LPMojo
04-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Congrats on the new ride, I just picked mine up from Freedom Powersports in Fort Worth last Saturday. A brand new 2014 (non deluxe) with a Zumo 665LM and luggage rack for 15.3 LOVE THIS BIKE. This weekend is putting all the farkles on that the FEDEX man is supposed to be dropping off tomorrow. Maybe Ill see ya out and about here in DFW.

Nice pickup! What's coming in the mail?

LPMoJo,
Just an FYI....I finally got a few minutes today and put mine up on the lift table to double-check the differential fluid.
I was about 2 oz. low. That's half empty or half full however you want to look at it.

Based on your advice, I sent a text to the sales guy regarding the final drive fluid level, yesterday. Hopefully they'll make sure it's right. Seems weird that it's an issue at all.

Rexxers
04-21-2016, 11:15 AM
LED Light Set
Driver Backrest
Passenger Backrest
USB Power Plug for Left Glove Box
Kuryakan Drink Holder for Center Lock Box
Mini Boards for Passenger
Flip Windshield
to name a few LOL

Phantom
04-21-2016, 11:40 AM
LPMoJo,
And …. how much MOLY did you add to the replacement gear oil?

These rear drives come with MOLY in the rear drive gear oil from the factory for a reason. Honda clearly wants that MOLY in there for at least 20,000 - 24,000 miles so that the gears fall in love with each other and longevity.

Prematurely drained rear drives have failed in less then 75,000 miles yet rear drives that the owners followed the Honda Engineers' recommendation of oil change intervals have lasted as long as 250,000 miles before failure. Yes, you can find replacements on Flea-Bay for $100 +/-, but who needs the aggravation, specially if you are on a long trip away from home. I know of a couple guys that replace their rear drives on their perfectly running GoldWings every 100,000 miles simply for the peace of mind.

My experience (in the past)….. Honda will not disclose the amount of MOLY that it adds to its gear oil.
Don't drain the rear gear oil before it is due, just top it off as needed.

Just my 2 cents.

edgeman55
04-21-2016, 12:55 PM
And …. how much MOLY did you add to the replacement gear oil?

These rear drives come with MOLY in the rear drive gear oil from the factory for a reason. Honda clearly wants that MOLY in there for at least 20,000 - 24,000 miles so that the gears fall in love with each other and longevity.

Prematurely drained rear drives have failed in less then 75,000 miles yet rear drives that the owners followed the Honda Engineers' recommendation of oil change intervals have lasted as long as 250,000 miles before failure. Yes, you can find replacements on Flea-Bay for $100 +/-, but who needs the aggravation, specially if you are on a long trip away from home. I know of a couple guys that replace their rear drives on their perfectly running GoldWings every 100,000 miles simply for the peace of mind.

My experience (in the past)….. Honda will not disclose the amount of MOLY that it adds to its gear oil.
Don't drain the rear gear oil before it is due, just top it off as needed.

Just my 2 cents.

I do not know where you obtained this info but it has been said by others including a very good Goldwing tech I know that this is pure bunk.Very few Goldwing rear drives have failed at the gears themselves as the bearings are what have failed which Moly would really have not helped.There are a ton of Goldwing owners with well over 100k that are on the original rear ends with annual fluid changes.I changed mine out with Amsoil synthetic at 1000 miles because I found it half low from the dealer.I change it every spring and expect to get many more miles out of that rear end.I guess only time and mileage will tell if I am wrong.Heck the rear end and front diff in my Cummins truck has over 200K with 50K Amsoil fliud changes and they pull a heck of a lot more weight then my Goldwing even though I am 385lbs-LOL.

Phantom
04-21-2016, 01:30 PM
I do not know where you obtained this info but it has been said by others including a very good Goldwing tech I know that this is pure bunk.

Let's agree to disagree ….

One "very good" tech doesn't have the experience of thousands of owners, opinions don't have any weight when it comes to reality.

We had the same issues with the Honda Rune, one owner was anal about changing her rear drive fluid at every motor oil change, she also had a rear drive prematurely fail on her with less then 50,000 miles at one of our Rallies. I know of 2 other Runes that have followed the Honda recommended schedule … one is pushing 300,000 miles and the other has 110,000 and both are on their original rear drives.

I guess all of the owners that have admitted that they have prematurely changed their rear drive with surprising premature rear end failures are full of BUNK … coincidence I guess 'popcorn and coke'

The "excellent" Honda Engineers have designed the unit with specific intervals … which if followed they will cover under a unlimited mileage warranty. These engineers have loads of data from all Honda rear drives and design them with maintenance intervals based on tried and tested feedback.
These excellent engineers have designed and created one of the worlds BEST running motorcycle ever created … I'm not going to question their almost bullet proof design or maintenance interval schedule.

I have yet to meet a "very good" Goldwing tech that knows the bike better then one of the honda engineers.

Plenty of reading on premature failures……

Do a web search for ….

gl1800 rear end failure
or
gl1800 rear drive failure

Phantom
04-21-2016, 03:42 PM
COMMENTS from other owners …

" Okay I have a 2010 GL_1800 Goldwing and am using Amsoil 75- 90 Sever gear synthetic lub in my final drive. I change it each time I change the motor oil to assure any metal particles are removed. On my last trip I seemed to have a lot of back lash and clunking when I downshift. I went home and put the bike up on the center stand. I started the bike and put it in gear and rank it with 1,2,3,4,5. In 5th it sounded like the ring and pinion were ratting back and forth or the universal joints were worn out. Remember I only have 8,500 miles on this bike. I then throttled up to 70 MPH and all was well but when I got to 80 MPH it was if the back tire (http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=tires)was egged shaped and out of balance. Maybe is I don't know and don't have the tools to check it. I then drained the oil and looked over the rings gear tooth by tooth and could see no chipped gears but did see some ware on the ring gear where the pinion and it come together. I also notice some metallic glitter in the oil."

(Rear drive failure), it's a 2003 with 57,415 miles on it, plus a few on a trailer.. Purchased new. Lovingly Maintained.."

"Hello been a long time reader since my tech knowledge is limited. Just thought I advise any interested wingers. 2003 GL1800 bought new has 39400 miles and the rear differential failed. I had 5 days left on the extended warranty and my Honda dealer was "unable to get it in for at least 2-3 weeks". So like any other problem I've had I researched the service manual and Fred Harmon videos and did it myself. I bought a trike conversion rear off a 2009 and swapped it myself problem solved smooother than when new !!! To all interested I changed the oil in the differential every 3000 with Mobil 1 syn 75w90. Last oil change after symptoms started was Amsoil 75w140 to give her alittle more cushion. This started at approx 30000 low frequency vibration mirror vibration and deceleration vibration with NO oil leakage from differential. Coming home from 3000 mi round trip some clunking and increased driveline backlash noted. Called dealer he told me it was my tires being scalloped. I told him my tire was not scalloped and the clunking noise and vibrating of the bike when I went through the gears on the center stand. He stated he NEVER had a Golding differential fail. Thanks to this board I proactively bought a rear and had it ready to go. Just figured I put this out there. It doesn't have to have >100000 on it to fail. No I do not tow a trailer and my wife is 128 lbs. To all who post helpful info here THANKS you helped me to self sufficient."

Summary of reported failures.
Thanks for replies. Reported oil leak failures both with and without metal flakes have occured from 300 miles to 57K miles. Reported noise related failures have occured from 40K to 125K miles. One reported drive shaft needle bearing failure occured at 198K. One final drive still good at 200K and never changed oil was replaced.

Seems to me that swapping out final drive at between 100K and 150K would be cheap insurancehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/108787-rear-end-replacement-advice-2.html#) for reduced riskhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/108787-rear-end-replacement-advice-2.html#) traveling. Not much info on drive shaft failures but failures have been rare so guess that this is lower risk component.

LPMojo
04-21-2016, 06:05 PM
LED Light Set
Driver Backrest
Passenger Backrest
USB Power Plug for Left Glove Box
Kuryakan Drink Holder for Center Lock Box
Mini Boards for Passenger
Flip Windshield
to name a few LOL

Dang man, going all out!
Hopefully we'll run into each other sometime so I can check out your ride. I'm already thinking of things I'm going to add. A passenger backrest is a must. Left glove box 12v power receptacle is highly probable. Drink holder, hiway pegs, windshield...
Yeah, I'll be spending money, too.

I dropped into D&S Honda Kawasaki in Arlington, and long story short, they made the same deal for me as Russellville, AR Honda. I decided to go with the local shop instead of flying into AR and driving home. Inspection and registration taken care of. The bike will be ready in 24-48 hours.

Unfortunately, I'm losing the $162 flight cost. It's non-refundable.
And, after talking to the Honda dealer in Russellville, AR, I'm not sure that I'll be getting the $500 deposit back.
I'm hoping they decide to refund it, or at the very least let it be used as credit for accessories or something.
But, if the cost of dealing locally is $662 more than flying out of state and driving 6 hours home, so be it. I'll take the hit.

I'd rather support a local family-owned store than an out-of-state corporate dealership and make some friends close to home. I've found it's great to have an established relationship with local shops when it comes time to get things done, especially if you find yourself stranded on a motorcycle close to home.
Excited to get out there and ride the F6b!!!!

edgeman55
04-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Let's agree to disagree ….

One "very good" tech doesn't have the experience of thousands of owners, opinions don't have any weight when it comes to reality.

We had the same issues with the Honda Rune, one owner was anal about changing her rear drive fluid at every motor oil change, she also had a rear drive prematurely fail on her with less then 50,000 miles at one of our Rallies. I know of 2 other Runes that have followed the Honda recommended schedule … one is pushing 300,000 miles and the other has 110,000 and both are on their original rear drives.

I guess all of the owners that have admitted that they have prematurely changed their rear drive with surprising premature rear end failures are full of BUNK … coincidence I guess 'popcorn and coke'

The "excellent" Honda Engineers have designed the unit with specific intervals … which if followed they will cover under a unlimited mileage warranty. These engineers have loads of data from all Honda rear drives and design them with maintenance intervals based on tried and tested feedback.
These excellent engineers have designed and created one of the worlds BEST running motorcycle ever created … I'm not going to question their almost bullet proof design or maintenance interval schedule.

I have yet to meet a "very good" Goldwing tech that knows the bike better then one of the honda engineers.

Plenty of reading on premature failures……

Do a web search for ….

gl1800 rear end failure
or
gl1800 rear drive failure

I never said one tech over rides the wisdom of Honda engineers.The same ones who have developed a bike with frames cracking on early models,balls in a cup front end design with a need to upgrade,engine hesitation on many Goldwings and brakes that lock up on some bikes like mine because of a poorly designed secondary master cylinder.They are only human like the rest of us and yes I will disagree that a rear end that has the fluid changed before 24K will go bad because it has some special Honda engineered gears that need a special sauce to mesh properly.Plus most of the rear end failures I have read about and my buddy has seen were bearing failure.All he works on is Goldwings for the past 20+ years and even he said over the 100's of 1800's he has serviced that is rare.Remember this is the internet and we only tend to hear the things that go wrong.I have got to believe for every rear end failure there are a 1000 1800 rear ends going strong.
But just to be sure I have obtained a E Bay F6B rear end take off that has zero miles for 90.00 and it is sitting in a box if and when needed as I plan to keep this bike for many more years and miles.So even though I believe my rear end will goe at least 100K on my Amsoil gear oil I am ready if proved wrong-LOL.

LPMojo
04-27-2016, 03:48 PM
The dealer received the new-in-crate 2015 Matte Silver F6B today, and is servicing it right now. I'll be catching a ride in an hour or so to pick it up. Wooohoooo! I'm stoked!

Soooo, should I ride it like I stole it, or take it easy? :icon_twisted:

53driver
04-27-2016, 07:02 PM
The dealer received the new-in-crate 2015 Matte Silver F6B today, and is servicing it right now. I'll be catching a ride in an hour or so to pick it up. Wooohoooo! I'm stoked!

Break-in "technique" varies. If you have 5 trained technicians and 5 riders who think highly of themselves, you'll get 17 answers.
The only thing that ever made sense to me is that you are seating in the rings, so a constant throttle is probably a bad thing.

I have a friend who has been riding Gold Wings since Day 1 and his technique is NEVER keep a constant throttle for the first 100 miles. It's quite the PITA he says, but he's had several Wings over 150,000 miles.

That's all I got.

Oh, HAVE FUN!

hardtail
04-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Just looking for info here. For the record, my service manager said no moly was added to the final drives. I asked this question when I found my final drive was only half full. Was told to top it off with Honda 80w since that's how it left the factory. Since many owners are finding this problem, could it be the ones who lost the ring and pinion did so because of lack of sufficient lubrication? Why are you so sure there is moly added?

wjduke
04-27-2016, 08:39 PM

I've had mine since November and took it easy for a while. It's hard to do! I never babied it though, just no red line stuff....even to date. I changed the oil at 2900 miles, and so far she purrs like a kitten at 70-75.

LPMojo
04-27-2016, 09:22 PM
I've had mine since November and took it easy for a while. It's hard to do! I never babied it though, just no red line stuff....even to date. I changed the oil at 2900 miles, and so far she purrs like a kitten at 70-75.

Your bike is the best color.
I just got in from riding. It takes off like a raped ape, pulls like an ox in top gear, handles like a fat sport bike...I dig it!!!
The windshield is sooooo wrong. The wind hits me around chin level, buffeting my head and pummeling my ear holes. I'd rather have no windshield at all and have clean air flow than the turbulence.
I'd like to sit a bit lower and farther back.

And I'd like a couple weeks off so I can just ride. 'gw-smiley'

3Chief
04-27-2016, 09:22 PM

Have you had any other servicing done?

LPMojo
04-27-2016, 10:47 PM

Got the bike. Dig the ride, except for the wind buffeting. Looking at the Klock Werks. How do you like it?

wjduke
04-28-2016, 04:20 AM
Have you had any other servicing done?

The dealer did the brake recall before I picked it up. No other service to do for a while. It's ride all summer until the next oil change for me.

53driver
04-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Your bike is the best color.
I just got in from riding. It takes off like a raped ape, pulls like an ox in top gear, handles like a fat sport bike...I dig it!!!
The windshield is sooooo wrong. The wind hits me around chin level, buffeting my head and pummeling my ear holes. I'd rather have no windshield at all and have clean air flow than the turbulence.
I'd like to sit a bit lower and farther back.

And I'd like a couple weeks off so I can just ride. 'gw-smiley'

Okay - if you haven't yet, use the search window to figure out the "order" of mods...
1. Seat
2. Drop Pegs and whatever else may affect your posture
3. Now the Windscreen

Since the windscreen is effectively useless, most people change that nearly immediately, then realize they want
"...to sit a bit lower and farther back." So they get a different seat and then "shazam," that $300 new windshield is somehow wrong with the new seat.

LPMojo
04-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Okay - if you haven't yet, use the search window to figure out the "order" of mods...
1. Seat
2. Drop Pegs and whatever else may affect your posture
3. Now the Windscreen

Since the windscreen is effectively useless, most people change that nearly immediately, then realize they want So they get a different seat and then "shazam," that $300 new windshield is somehow wrong with the new seat.

All right, got it. Seat before windshield. I'm eyeing the Mustang. My gf likes the stock passenger seat. Whatever I get will need to be at least as comfortable for her. I'm considering modifying the stock seat instead of purchasing a new one. Anyone modify by cutting down and back the foam?

What year models does the brake recall apply to?

I'm working 12 hr shifts today and tomorrow. Wish I were out riding. I wonder if there is a DFW meetup for GW riders...

opas ride
04-28-2016, 10:14 AM
All right, got it. Seat before windshield. I'm eyeing the Mustang. My gf likes the stock passenger seat. Whatever I get will need to be at least as comfortable for her. I'm considering modifying the stock seat instead of purchasing a new one. Anyone modify by cutting down and back the foam?

What year models does the brake recall apply to?

I'm working 12 hr shifts today and tomorrow. Wish I were out riding. I wonder if there is a DFW meetup for GW riders...

Try Allen at Mean City Cycles in Tennessee ..They can modify your seat anyway you prefer and all reports are that they do excellent work and not as costly as an aftermarket seat.....Brake recall is for all model years as far as I know....

LPMojo
04-30-2016, 07:35 PM
I found a deluxe Mustang seat at a local dealer and put it on in their parking lot. I like sitting more in the bike. Good addition. I put 75 miles on today just riding the back roads.
Can't wait to add a better windshield so my ears will stop being pummeled. That's next.

mike2000t
05-01-2016, 07:53 AM
I have a 19" baggershield with vent laying around doing nothing if you want it. $25 plus actual shipping cost. I replaced it with the Madstad, which I absolutely love. The Baggershield is ok, but to be honest the Madstad is it.

I added Mic O Pegs to mine. Spring loaded and retractable and they let me stretch out.

congrats on your bike. I absolutely love mine.

LPMojo
05-01-2016, 02:21 PM
I have a 19" baggershield with vent laying around doing nothing if you want it. $25 plus actual shipping cost. I replaced it with the Madstad, which I absolutely love. The Baggershield is ok, but to be honest the Madstad is it.

I added Mic O Pegs to mine. Spring loaded and retractable and they let me stretch out.

congrats on your bike. I absolutely love mine.

Thanks! I don't have many miles on it, yet, but I sure am getting to know it. I'm hoping for many years and many miles of getting to know it. :) I rode some twisty roads yesterday, and practiced turns and figure 8s in a parking lot.
It's been so long since I've had a new bike, I forgot what it's like practicing with a new bike.

I like the stripped down look. I'm going to try the 11-14" range. I don't mind wind hitting the top of my head. Just need to get my ears out of the turbulent spot. So, I'll pass, but do appreciate the offer on the windshield!

The Mick O Pegs look nifty. Are they adjustable so you can find your happy spot?

mike2000t
05-01-2016, 03:06 PM
They offer different configurations for different rider sizes and riding styles, but once mounted, not really adjustable. I got the ones for tall riders and aggressive riding style. they mount to the engine guards on the upper horizontal part. That way they don't scrape in the corners. The company is very helpful in selecting a style. The let my legs straighten out and what I really like is that with the spring loading, they swing back up so they don't drag in the corners. They do look like they would hit if you drop the bike. So far I have not had to find out for sure.

LPMojo
05-01-2016, 04:02 PM
They offer different configurations for different rider sizes and riding styles, but once mounted, not really adjustable. I got the ones for tall riders and aggressive riding style. they mount to the engine guards on the upper horizontal part. That way they don't scrape in the corners. The company is very helpful in selecting a style. The let my legs straighten out and what I really like is that with the spring loading, they swing back up so they don't drag in the corners. They do look like they would hit if you drop the bike. So far I have not had to find out for sure.

I was wondering about cornering clearance with the pegs. They sound like a good option. I've looked at Kuryakyn and Rivco. The Rivco look great, but I'm concerned about the limited adjustability. I'd have to try em before buying em. I hope I never drop the F6. I dropped my Night Train once in the 12 years I've had it, just last year. Dead centered on a tiny piece of wood coming up to a stop sign. Dumped the bike, stayed on my feet. Had to repair a dented gas tank, still have ground metal mirrors, blinkers and brake lever. Grrrrr.
I can just imagine how much plastic would need replaced with a good drop of the F6.

mike2000t
05-01-2016, 07:54 PM
A simple drop should not bother the plastic the way I see it. The front and rear guards should catch before any plastic hits. There is even a way to lay the bike on its right side to change the back tire.

I was mistaken. the mic o pegs I got are mounted to the vertical part of the engine guards.