PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern Michigan.....the South Atlantic at the moment. :)

Rob41
04-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Hi all,
I didn't see a new member introduction area so I thought I'd introduce myself here.

I guess I'll start with my motorcycling background. When I was stationed in Germany in 85 I saw the movie Top Gun so of course I had to run out and buy my first street bike, a Ninja 900. Had it for about 5 years and put almost 90k miles on it. Next was a Sportster for a month before I got a 58 Duo Glide. After that a couple Moto Guzzi's and a handful of others before I got my current bike in 98. I still ride my 99 Victory V92C which is the 65th Vic ever built.

It's been a long time since I got a new bike and I've been looking at the Victory Cross Country and the F6B. With the Swiss watch flat 6, shaft final drive and well known GL1800 reliability it's fair to say the F6B Deluxe will be my next bike. My wife and I just turned 50, are empty nesters and are looking forward to doing a lot more long range riding. She is my co-pilot.

As the title eludes to, I'm currently somewhere in the South Atlantic. I'm a Merchant Marine Engineer aboard a US Navy owned ship. Because of my career I'm away from home 1/2 to 2/3 of the time and the fact that I live in Northern Michigan means my riding time/opportunities are severely reduced. To help extend the season I want a bike like the F6B Deluxe that affords better wind protection and creature comforts than my naked Vic.

I'm looking to get into a much more comfortable ride for my wife and myself. I know the full on Wing would do that to the max, but I really like the style of the F6B Deluxe so I will build upon that. I will have to learn to stop the tinkering and only do what will be truly useful. I plan to upgrade the front suspension with the Progressive cartridges, the rear with the fully adjustable mono, and the handlebars with Heli-Bars. I may also install a set of slip-ons and if the "drone" some have reported exists, I will find a way to reduce or eliminate that. Aside from that, it will only be the usual mods like upgrading the stereo, windshield and better LED lighting type stuff. And of course .batman-smilie. Fundamentally Honda has pretty much nailed the GL1800 platform.

You guys have a great forum going here with a wealth of information that I enjoy reading. I look forward to getting my own F6B and picking your brains about the GL1800.

-Rob

Spiff215
04-18-2016, 06:24 AM
Welcome aboard Rob. I can't imagine anyone not being satisfied with the F6b. There will be subtle changes or additions to it to make it perfect. But we all know that occurs with every bike.

jm21ddd15
04-18-2016, 07:15 AM
.welcome20. You will enjoy the bike and the forum. Good people, good info!! Welcome

3Chief
04-18-2016, 08:47 PM
'welcome gang'

Rob41
04-18-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. I'm sure my wife and I will be very happy with the F6B. This will be my first bike with a windshield and my first bike the missus and I will be able to talk with each other while riding. I'll keep my Vic for those times I want to soak up some v-twin rumble and off idle torque around town, but I know the silky smooth F6B will be a joy to cover the miles.