PDA

View Full Version : Sonic

wjduke
04-18-2016, 02:54 PM
What's the big deal about a Sonic Drive-in? We have a new one right next door and you might think they were giving money away. I tried it...it's a fast food joint with fancy shakes. There have been quarter mile lines up the road since they opened last week. Now, they park in our lot and walk there. I wasn't this excited the first time I rode my 6, and I was thrilled to death!

shooter
04-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Burgers are pretty good. They have a lot of drink combinations with their add ins. Cherry Coke , Vanilla Coke etc. Good shakes too.

Tedubya
04-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Burgers are pretty good. They have a lot of drink combinations with their add ins. Cherry Coke , Vanilla Coke etc. Good shakes too.

What shooter said.

They're a dime a dozen here.
Good burger and Happy Hour drink specials.

DMAGOLDRDR
04-18-2016, 05:21 PM
Start charging food for parking. Tell them bring me back a shake or fries or it's $5. to park here.

Az Wingrider
04-18-2016, 07:26 PM
We have Sonic here as well and they do make a good burger but the Inn-n-Out Burgers we have here in the west are better burgers.

Just my opinion but I do like a good burger

53driver
04-18-2016, 07:35 PM
...but the Inn-n-Out Burgers we have here in the west are better burgers.

+1!

wjduke
04-18-2016, 07:54 PM
I think the ads on tv really sell it. I heard about the burgers and shakes, but they're burgers and shakes, you know what I mean? I tried a couple of onion rings today and won't buy them. The flavor is off in my book. Guess I'll have to sample it all!

3Chief
04-18-2016, 08:40 PM

What shooter said.

They're a dime a dozen here.
Good burger and Happy Hour drink specials.

Exactly, a bit better than McD's but still a chain. I'd rather a local burger dive.

We have Sonic here as well and they do make a good burger but the Inn-n-Out Burgers we have here in the west are better burgers.

Sonic has more variety, Inn-n-out's alright however the one on my way home from work is always packed. Not worth the effort for their limited menu.

GaTeach
04-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Salted Caramel Shake. I'm not even kidding.

53driver
04-18-2016, 08:58 PM
..Not worth the effort for their limited menu.

Are you familiar with their "Secret Menu"?
http://www.in-n-out.com/menu/not-so-secret-menu.aspx

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/03/the-in-n-out-survival-guide-we-ate-every-single-item-on-the-secret-menu.html

These will actually ring up on your receipt as ordered!

F6Pilot
04-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Yep, traveled through California last year for about 10 days. Can't even count how many times we wound up in an In n Out eating everything Animal style.

3Chief
04-18-2016, 11:47 PM
Are you familiar with their "Secret Menu"?
http://www.in-n-out.com/menu/not-so-secret-menu.aspx

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/03/the-in-n-out-survival-guide-we-ate-every-single-item-on-the-secret-menu.html

These will actually ring up on your receipt as ordered!

I am, it's still not worth the effort to me. I'm utterly amazed how busy they are.

SimonTemplar
04-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Here in NC, you can probably throw a rock in any direction and it will hit a half dozen Sonics.

They're not bad. I'll second the Salted Caramel shakes. Most the other shakes are almost as great. The burgers are on the better side of average (certainly better than the tripe they're shoveling down at Hardee's these days.) The hot dogs are...well....ok they're hot dogs. Not much you can do to ruin a hot dog....not much you can do to make them remarkable, either.

One could do a lot worse in choosing a lunch spot....but they're nothing terribly special though, either. Not being a native, perhaps it's a local thing that I don't quite grasp. (Kind of like White Castles up north or MaidRites in Iowa.....if you're not a local, just give up because you'll never understand).

....sT

3Chief
04-19-2016, 12:15 AM
Not being a native, perhaps it's a local thing that I don't quite grasp. (Kind of like White Castles up north or MaidRites in Iowa.....if you're not a local, just give up because you'll never understand).

Most likely so, It's like Dick's drive ins in Seattle...Not sure what the big deal is, I prefer Burgerville if I have the option. Locally sourced stuff products, probably the healthiest burger chain I've been to. To each there own. Sonic is fairly new in my home locality and it
s pretty busy, here in my tenure in SoCal there is just to many awesome places to go to vs either Inn-n-Out or Sonic :icon_biggrin:

SimonTemplar
04-19-2016, 12:22 AM
......here in my tenure in SoCal there is just to many awesome places to go to vs either Inn-n-Out or Sonic :icon_biggrin:

Well....there's always DelTaco :duck::duck:

....sT

3Chief
04-19-2016, 12:35 AM
Well....there's always DelTaco :duck::duck:

....sT

Come on, at least try Roberto's or Tacos El Gordo's :icon_biggrin:

Patch
04-19-2016, 02:22 AM
Yeah...the expansion locations for food chains are going crazy.

1998 saw the opening of the first Chik-fila store (not in a mall) appear here in Austin. People flocked to it like crazy for nearly 3 months straight. They opened up 6 more stores over 2 years because of the hype.
2003 Krispy Kreme moved to town...yanks that had transferred down for jobs went crazy and there were car lines so bad at the 2 initial locations that there was a police presence nearly 14 hours a day for 8 months because of the traffic issues.
2011 P Terrys showed up...a few months of heavy traffic around those places occurred during lunch and dinner time.
2013 In-n-Out Burger dropped a location right on Airport Blvd. Typical lines from open to close were about a 1 hr average wait, caused traffic problems and police again came out in shifts to manage exits and lights near the store. That lasted about 3 months before the novelty wore off and people realized that between Five Guys, In-n-Out, P Terrys, Mighty Fine and Steak and Shake burger joints...they all pretty much tasted the same and had special "hidden menus" which were nearly identical...save for the In-N-Out which boasts up to a 10x10 burger.

Sonic is great for drinks and their daily specials (like half off shakes after 6pm, or half priced burgers on Tuesdays, etc). We don't make a habit of eating there though.

I suspect the next big thing to cause traffic hell would be the opening of an actual White Castle (from the north) or Krystals (from the southeast) location opening up here since to date they haven't made it into Austin.

Once they open another Sonic in the area, things should get back close to normal. In the meantime, if you have kids or grandkids that need money, we had a few enterprising youths provide carhop service for a fee when in-n-out opened and they made pretty good money running up, waiting in line, ordering food and bringing it out to those waiting on the streets (found out about it on the news). These 12 yo boys were making between 5 and 10 dollars a car depending on what was ordered.

wjduke
04-19-2016, 04:41 AM
Krispy Kreme opened near here in the Providence area and has closed since. The novelty wore off so much that I guess people stuck to the old local places. There's a Five Guys up the road along with the BK's, McD's, Wendy's, and the mom and pop's. I hope they continue to do well. Business breeds business, but I'm still amazed at what people do. Still, last night after my ride, the line was still there, but not as long.

GaTeach
04-19-2016, 06:04 AM
Still, last night after my ride, .

you went for a ride?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

I would eat a pack of nabs from the gas station before I would stand in line for an hour to eat fast food.

Other than Sonic's Salted Caramel Shake, I refuse to eat fast food other than Chic-Fil-A anyway. They are always clean, friendly, and the food is mostly consistent. And down here around Atlanta there's always someone out front protesting with funny signs. So there's that. Only problem is if I'm traveling on Sunday I'm screwed. Nabs it is.

shooter
04-19-2016, 06:20 AM

You've inspired him Teach. He's trying to catch up. Besides I think he's wanting one of those caramel shakes.

GaTeach
04-19-2016, 06:24 AM

You've inspired him Teach. He's trying to catch up. Besides I think he's wanting one of those caramel shakes.

Well, good lord, don't wait in line for an hour for one of them...they ain't that good.

GaTeach
04-19-2016, 06:26 AM
I think the ads on tv really sell it. I heard about the burgers and shakes, but they're burgers and shakes, you know what I mean? I tried a couple of onion rings today and won't buy them. The flavor is off in my book. Guess I'll have to sample it all!

I don't know if they still do the deep fried tater tots, but if so, they are HEAVEN!

lloydmoore1
04-19-2016, 06:27 AM
From an outsider who spends a lot of time visiting the 2 brother in-laws in Warner Robins,GA I love Chic-Fil-A and the sonic after 6pm 1/2 price shakes. Those chicken sandwiches from Chic-Fil-A are very addictive!

GaTeach
04-19-2016, 06:31 AM
From an outsider who spends a lot of time visiting the 2 brother in-laws in Warner Robins,GA I love Chic-Fil-A and the sonic after 6pm 1/2 price shakes. Those chicken sandwiches from Chic-Fil-A are very addictive!

Dang! You're right down the road! Holler next time you're down here.

And make sure the BILs take you to H&H Soul Food in Macon. It's got some cool Allman brothers connections and the food is OFF THE CHAIN. The mac and cheese will make you slap yo mama.

choptop
04-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Love the Sonic commercials !!

GaTeach
04-19-2016, 06:37 AM
Dang! You're right down the road! Holler next time you're down here.

And make sure the BILs take you to H&H Soul Food in Macon. It's got some cool Allman brothers connections and the food is OFF THE CHAIN. The mac and cheese will make you slap yo mama.

We are taking a bunch of kids downtown ATL to World of Coke today. Next year, I'm suggesting H&H. :)

lloydmoore1
04-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Sure will thanks. I'll be back down around 9 July for 3 weeks for a big family vacation. I'm going to trailer the bike to Warner Robins then ride the bike to Tennessee following the fam jam in their cars. We have 3 separate cabins rented all around Pigeon Forge area.
I'll give a shout when I get down.

wjduke
04-19-2016, 07:08 AM
I'm doing my best. Almost 4,000 since November and those are New England Winter and Spring miles. Check my odometer at the rally. I'll do almost as much as anyone up this way.

Teach is out of control. That's like trying to beat Lebron James one on one.

junkyarddog
04-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Krispy Kreme opened near here in the Providence area and has closed since. The novelty wore off so much that I guess people stuck to the old local places. There's a Five Guys up the road along with the BK's, McD's, Wendy's, and the mom and pop's. I hope they continue to do well. Business breeds business, but I'm still amazed at what people do. Still, last night after my ride, the line was still there, but not as long.

Krispy Kreme had people camped out 3 days before it opened here in Corpus. For a doughnut????? The store lasted about 6 months I believe and it was over. It's now a Ghengis Kahn Mongolian restaurant.

Retired Army
04-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Krispy Kreme had people camped out 3 days before it opened here in Corpus. For a doughnut????? The store lasted about 6 months I believe and it was over. It's now a Ghengis Kahn Mongolian restaurant.
Krispy Kreme is FOP indorsed.

SimonTemplar
04-20-2016, 12:56 AM
......2003 Krispy Kreme moved to town...yanks that had transferred down for jobs went crazy and there were car lines so bad at the 2 initial locations that there was a police presence nearly 14 hours a day for 8 months because of the traffic issues........

.....I suspect the next big thing to cause traffic hell would be the opening of an actual White Castle (from the north) or Krystals (from the southeast) location opening up here since to date they haven't made it into Austin......

That is an interesting thing as KrispyKreme is actually a southern thing...started and still headquartered in High Point NC, just down the road from me. But...the northern love for it IS pretty high.

I've toyed with the idea from time to time of opening a White Castle franchise around here. If only so that *I* can have them again. Been a long time and I have been jonesing for them for years. I can remember when White Castles were $0.04 each....that's right, 4 cents! The cheeseburgers were 7 cents. Back then, you could get a bag of ten plus a soda for a buck or less (20 for a little more if you were truly hungry).

....sT

GaTeach
04-20-2016, 01:39 PM
That is an interesting thing as KrispyKreme is actually a southern thing...started and still headquartered in High Point NC, just down the road from me. But...the northern love for it IS pretty high.

....sT

Don't you wish you could grow Krispy Kreme doughnuts in your garden?

53driver
04-20-2016, 01:57 PM

Whoa...That's what those donut holes are for!

busflyer
04-20-2016, 03:03 PM
I don't know if they still do the deep fried tater tots, but if so, they are HEAVEN!

Mmmmmmmm, tater tots. They are all closed in Deland. I guess the franchisee went broke.

Blaine.

SimonTemplar
04-21-2016, 12:45 AM

Alas, no. Never got the taste for donuts, myself.

I'm just not a sweets kinda guy. (Except oatmeal/raisin and chocolate chip cookies......don't touch my cookies!!!)

....sT

Steve 0080
04-21-2016, 07:17 AM

I would eat a pack of nabs from the gas station before I would stand in line for an hour to eat fast food.

Other than Sonic's Salted Caramel Shake, I refuse to eat fast food other than Chic-Fil-A anyway. They are always clean, friendly, and the food is mostly consistent. And down here around Atlanta there's always someone out front protesting with funny signs. So there's that. Only problem is if I'm traveling on Sunday I'm screwed. Nabs it is.

Pray tell what are Nabs???

Sonic is know for their variety !!! Cheap and quick if on the run !!!

GaTeach
04-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Pray tell what are Nabs???

Sonic is know for their variety !!! Cheap and quick if on the run !!!

GaTeach
04-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Alas, no. Never got the taste for donuts, myself.

I'm just not a sweets kinda guy. (Except oatmeal/raisin and chocolate chip cookies......don't touch my cookies!!!)

....sT

Me either (except for banana pudding, and red velvet cake, and blackberry cobbler (and chocolate and peach), and fried peach pies, and key lime pie, and pecan pie, and brownies, and cookies, and ice cream, and....)

shooter
04-21-2016, 04:11 PM

Nabs are good!!

Steve 0080
04-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Nabs...thats a new one on me!

F6Pilot
04-21-2016, 10:27 PM
...and fried peach pies...

Traveled home many times with a sack full of fried pies from Varsity

GaTeach
04-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Traveled home many times with a sack full of fried pies from Varsity

For some reason I don't consider Varsity to be fast food. Lol

I met the man of my dreams at the Varsity. I walked out and an Athens/Clarke moto was blocking Sweet Georgia in. He said, "I love this bike. I want this bike. I need this bike " And then he bitched about his issued HD for about twenty minutes, found out he was a Marine, and promptly fell in love.

I've spent the past eight months doing 90 mph through Athens, blowing every stop sign and stop light trying like hell to get pulled over. To no avail.

I guess it wasn't meant to be.

But my love affair with Varsity peach pies is still very much alive.

SimonTemplar
04-22-2016, 06:01 AM
The Varsity??? Naaah!

The Vortex Bar and Grill. Eat there one time and you'll go throw rocks at The Varsity! Best burger and best nachos in the state.

....sT

seadog
04-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Salted Caramel Shake. I'm not even kidding.

It got to be about 1000 calories in one of those, be careful you might have to increase the load limit on that B. LOL'gw-smiley'

shooter
04-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Lol. Might need to run that preload up a few clicks. You the man Dog.

GaTeach
04-22-2016, 08:14 AM
It got to be about 1000 calories in one of those, be careful you might have to increase the load limit on that B. LOL'gw-smiley'

I was out to eat with one of my HD girls and her husband. I ordered Deep Fried Oreos for supper. Her husband said, "Damn, Teach, don't you eat anything besides dessert?" My HD girl said, "Yes! Sometimes she gets ice cream instead!"

Life is short; eat dessert first.

GaTeach
04-22-2016, 08:15 AM

And I've seen some of you guys that ride the F6B. Looking like a bear riding a tricycle. I think I got a lot of shakes to go before SG won't tote my ass around anymore.

GaTeach
04-22-2016, 08:24 AM
The Varsity??? Naaah!

The Vortex Bar and Grill. Eat there one time and you'll go throw rocks at The Varsity! Best burger and best nachos in the state.

....sT

I've heard nothing but good things about the Vortex. Everyone loves it. I've got to get down there. I usually make an annual pilgrimage downtown on my birthday. Maybe I'll stop in. I usually go to the Sundial, just because I think it's the coolest place ever.

shooter
04-22-2016, 08:30 AM
And I've seen some of you guys that ride the F6B. Looking like a bear riding a tricycle. I think I got a lot of shakes to go before SG won't tote my ass around anymore.

Easy Teach. Let's don't start name calling or anything. Nobody said that you had lost your schoolgirl figure. And we all agree that you look prettier on the B than we do. Geez! Never talk about a woman's weight or her age. SEADOG!!!!!

edgeman55
04-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Now thats funny-I go 6'5" and around 380lbs depending if I did or did not have a shake that day-LOL.People always say I make the F6B look small.Ride with a buddy who is 5'8" and 130lbs drippin wet,when he is on my F6B he looks like a 12 year old.I have to force him to eat which I just don't understand.If Seadog gives you any more weighty comments me and Big Larry will go sit on him for ya!:yikes:3988

seadog
04-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Easy Teach. Let's don't start name calling or anything. Nobody said that you had lost your schoolgirl figure. And we all agree that you look prettier on the B than we do. Geez! Never talk about a woman's weight or her age. SEADOG!!!!!

Don't know what I was thinking! She'll probably bitch slap me for those comments at the rally. I will have to duck and hide when she comes around.

shooter
04-22-2016, 03:36 PM
I'll cover for ya best I can brother. If I can't impress her with my suave demeanor I can baffle her with bullshyt.

F6Pilot
04-22-2016, 11:06 PM
The Varsity??? Naaah!

....sT

I will concur that there are a multitude of places bearing a much higher quality. But it's The Varsity, a culinary spectacle steeped in tradition, history, and gastric fortitude. I grew up eating three chili dogs with chopped onions and order the same to this day.

3Chief
04-22-2016, 11:35 PM

:icon_laugh:

SimonTemplar
04-22-2016, 11:49 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about the Vortex. Everyone loves it. I've got to get down there. I usually make an annual pilgrimage downtown on my birthday. Maybe I'll stop in. I usually go to the Sundial, just because I think it's the coolest place ever.

Mucho Mas Macho Nachos....and a beer

....sT

wjduke
04-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Good thing it's slow right now...not one of these cars are here for tires....thank you Sonic.