PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Bluetooth tire pressure monitors?

Davidk
04-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Do they work well? Brand/model to buy?

53driver
04-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Just installed the FOBO TPMS monitors.

Install: once I figured out my phone's Bluetooth "touch" function, install was easy. BlueTooth 4.0 or greater with the "NFC" function ('touching') is required.

Monitors communicate well with the phone app once I'm in the garage.
Still getting used to setting the tire pressure limits - apparently the rear tire heats up significantly more than the front so the pressure exceeds what I put in as the max threshold on the phone app.

stevenolts has had the same system for a year. Maybe he can add something more.

Cheers,
Steve

Davidk
04-20-2016, 05:41 PM
thanks. The FOBO was the one that I was looking at.

BACA
04-20-2016, 06:06 PM
thanks. The FOBO was the one that I was looking at.

That's the one I have too David.....I've had mine for about a year and I'm very pleased with the performance....be sure to replace the batteries at least once a year...

There is another (Steelmate) on the market where the indicator is hard wired into the bikes electrical system. Here is a link......

http://www.amazon.com/Steelmate%C2%AE-Motorcycle-Pressure-Monitoring-Waterproof/dp/B01AVWKJ34?ie=UTF8&colid=285NN8MT81UT4&coliid=I1KZS8I0K5LUB1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

Ride Safe!

Davidk
04-20-2016, 06:52 PM
That's the one I have too David.....I've had mine for about a year and I'm very pleased with the performance....be sure to replace the batteries at least once a year...

There is another (Steelmate) on the market where the indicator is hard wired into the bikes electrical system. Here is a link......

http://www.amazon.com/Steelmate%C2%AE-Motorcycle-Pressure-Monitoring-Waterproof/dp/B01AVWKJ34?ie=UTF8&colid=285NN8MT81UT4&coliid=I1KZS8I0K5LUB1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

Ride Safe!

That one also looks interesting. Anyone running the Steelmate?

Steve 0080
04-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Garmin sells them as well.......?

ShanghaiDan
04-23-2016, 05:31 PM
That one also looks interesting. Anyone running the Steelmate?

I use a Steelmate; bought it last time I was in China for around $80. Works great. I love having the display/indicator unit hard-wired so I don't need to use my phone to check the pressure.

willtill
08-19-2016, 10:59 AM
I use a Steelmate; bought it last time I was in China for around $80. Works great. I love having the display/indicator unit hard-wired so I don't need to use my phone to check the pressure.

Hey Dan,

How is the Steelmate working out for you. I've been perusing these threads and looking at them on the Internet and elsewhere.

Any issues with yours so far?

scoplin
08-19-2016, 11:33 AM
I have the steelmate and like it. It also doubles as a volt Guage since it is hardwired. I went this route as I use my bluetooth for audio through my sena.

willtill
08-19-2016, 11:37 AM
I have the steelmate and like it. It also doubles as a volt Guage since it is hardwired. I went this route as I use my bluetooth for audio through my sena.

Thanks for commenting :yes:

Did you mount it on a T type valve stem, such as what some of the Fobo user's are or may be using? I've been scouring the 'net for T-Valve stems and it seems that Fobo is the only one that sells them.

Here's a pic I found of a TPMS with a T-valve stem... not sure I am liking all of the mass hanging off the inside of the wheel though...

http://i65.tinypic.com/2rcnbeb.jpg

waynerock66
08-19-2016, 03:01 PM
I think Wingstuff has them.

http://wingstuff.com/products/37222-t-valve-optional-accessory-for-fobo-tpms?from_search=1

willtill
08-19-2016, 03:14 PM
I think Wingstuff has them.

http://wingstuff.com/products/37222-t-valve-optional-accessory-for-fobo-tpms?from_search=1

Cool! I also found another source as well... but they would've been shipped from Malaysia :shock:

yellow rex
08-19-2016, 09:38 PM
Cycle Max is the place I purchase the T vale stems.

scoplin
08-19-2016, 10:02 PM
I have the T stems but haven't installed them yet.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8282-Added-Steel-Mate-TPMS&highlight=Steelmate

ShanghaiDan
08-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Hey Dan,

How is the Steelmate working out for you. I've been perusing these threads and looking at them on the Internet and elsewhere.

Any issues with yours so far?

Working great! Zero problems so far. I check the accuracy of the gauge every month or so, and it's within 1 PSI of my expensive dial gauge. I love it! And it's pretty instructive to see the pressure change as you ride in different conditions...

53driver
08-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Got the FoBo system. Talks to my smartphone. I don't use it for "real time" monitoring although if I could see my phone while riding I could.
I just use it to check psi and tire temps before heading out and in between stops.
$100.
Works for me.

Cheers,
Steve

willtill
08-20-2016, 05:02 PM
I was contemplating the FOBO system, but really wanted something that was more integrated and didn't depend on another ancillary piece of equipment.

I went ahead and purchased a Steel Mate TPMS this morning... will get a T-valve stem mounted in the rear wheel early next month when I put the C/T on and will run both of the TPMS sensors (one on rear T-valve stem and one on stock OEM stem on the front) until I replace the front tire down the road... then will install a T-valve stem in the front wheel.

My major debacle/decision at the moment... is to where mount the receiver unit. Already have an analog voltmeter on the right side fairing area.... am contemplating alternate locations for it.

stevenolts
08-22-2016, 06:21 AM
I love the FOBO because it will let me know before I leave my garage. This is the only accurate way to check tire pressure before the tires heat up. If you have a compressor this works great. I always have my phone with me. The only problem is my wife complaining about the FOBO warning me from inside the house in the middle of the night. So I guess I have the extended wife warning system for free.
Steve

willtill
08-22-2016, 06:30 AM
http://i65.tinypic.com/2rcnbeb.jpg

Reference the picture that I post earlier... when I get ready to install the T-valve stem... do I need to grind off the portion of the wheel where the OEM plastic valve stem retainer mounts to?

I can't really tell from the picture.

stevenolts
08-22-2016, 12:21 PM
I had the t-valve installed on both the front and rear tires with no grinding.
I highly recommend the t-valve!!!
Once you are confident the tire pressure matches other gauges you can add air and check pressure on the phone.
Steve

stevenolts
08-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Got the FoBo system. Talks to my smartphone. I don't use it for "real time" monitoring although if I could see my phone while riding I could.
I just use it to check psi and tire temps before heading out and in between stops.
$100.
Works for me.

Cheers,
Steve

I used to be able to see the phone to check the pressure while riding / I guess my eyes are getting worce or my cell phone is less bright!!!
Steve

willtill
08-25-2016, 05:39 AM
I had the t-valve installed on both the front and rear tires with no grinding.
I highly recommend the t-valve!!!
Once you are confident the tire pressure matches other gauges you can add air and check pressure on the phone.
Steve

Thanks for that. :yes:

Amazon delivered my Steel-Mate TPMS yesterday... still trying to figure out where to mount the receiver unit. I think I am just going to fabricate a simple bracket and mount it to the inside of the lower Madstad windshield base. This bike is tough to mount aftermarket instrumentation on, from an aesthetically pleasing point of view...

Supposedly my T-Valve stems will be arriving tomorrow.. so there is a slight possibility I may get that Michelin Alpine PA3 car tire mounted as well (want to do both valve stem/tire replacement at the same time).

JMartin
09-13-2016, 10:47 AM
FOBO on my PC800.
Not real-time, just to check the pressure before each ride.
Works fine, but one of the two supplied batteries was dead in just a few days.
Had one on hand, replaced it, no more problems.

Just my $.02.
Jim

AussieF6B
10-04-2016, 04:51 AM
FOBO on the F6B mounted on OE valves no leaking yet i have the T valve but will wait till they leak or need new tyres to install them

Ixol Phaane
10-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Just installed the FOBO TPMS monitors.

Install: once I figured out my phone's Bluetooth "touch" function, install was easy. BlueTooth 4.0 or greater with the "NFC" function ('touching') is required.

Monitors communicate well with the phone app once I'm in the garage.
Still getting used to setting the tire pressure limits - apparently the rear tire heats up significantly more than the front so the pressure exceeds what I put in as the max threshold on the phone app.

stevenolts has had the same system for a year. Maybe he can add something more.

Cheers,
Steve

+1

Based on seeing Steve's FOBO system at the rally, I purchased my own set from WingStuff and installed them last week. So far so good. It's really convenient to have the big graphic display on my phone. My units are mounted on 90-degree steel valves... but I've got t-valves in my shopping cart at WingStuff.

Thanks, Steve! (Like I don't have other things to spend $ on!) :icon_biggrin:

53driver
10-04-2016, 06:49 PM
+1

Based on seeing Steve's FOBO system at the rally, I purchased my own set from WingStuff and installed them last week. So far so good. It's really convenient to have the big graphic display on my phone. My units are mounted on 90-degree steel valves... but I've got t-valves in my shopping cart at WingStuff.

Thanks, Steve! (Like I don't have other things to spend $ on!) :icon_biggrin:

You are so welcome!
Glad they are working for you!
I spent HOURS trying to get the touch-beam-thingy (NFC) to work properly. My phone was the issue...
Anyway, just horribly convenient to go out to the bike, check the pressures, and either giddyup or turn on the compressor.
Cheers,
Steve

blackmetoc
10-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Steve,
Did you self install or go to a dealer?

Ixol Phaane
10-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Steve,
Did you self install or go to a dealer?

Brian, the FOBOBike TPMS is really a consumer installable product. FOBO supplies two monitors, lock nuts and a lock nut tool. It takes about 10 minutes to install and sync the units with the FOBOBike app on iOS or Android. It sounds like Steve had a hardware issue with his initial install... phone (?). I had no problem at all.
I will say the t-valves look like a great option and will make it easy to add/release air. The monitors can be mounted on the rubber OEM valves, but I'm not sure I would do that. The monitors are not tiny, so I would only do that until I could have steel valves installed. Mine are on 90-degree steel valves only until I have my t-valves installed.
I've only had them a couple weeks, but I'm pretty happy with the peace of mind I get with the ease of pressure monitoring now.
Cheers!

blackmetoc
10-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Brian, the FOBOBike TPMS is really a consumer installable product. FOBO supplies two monitors, lock nuts and a lock nut tool. It takes about 10 minutes to install and sync the units with the FOBOBike app on iOS or Android. It sounds like Steve had a hardware issue with his initial install... phone (?). I had no problem at all.
I will say the t-valves look like a great option and will make it easy to add/release air. The monitors can be mounted on the rubber OEM valves, but I'm not sure I would do that. The monitors are not tiny, so I would only do that until I could have steel valves installed. Mine are on 90-degree steel valves only until I have my t-valves installed.
I've only had them a couple weeks, but I'm pretty happy with the peace of mind I get with the ease of pressure monitoring now.
Cheers!

Thanks! I'll pick up a set my self!