PDA

View Full Version : Any Garmin 595 users?

Big Cat
04-20-2016, 05:08 PM
I have been using the Garmin 665 for several years, and have it mounted on my F6B and it works fine. I also have the XM weather radar puck installed under the seat, and it works OK.

However, I just found out today that the 665 is supposedly "not compatible" with Garmin Basecamp route planning software (per Garmin support). Now I can tell you this is not 100% true, as I have used Basecamp with the Zumo 665 for several years, and it generally allows the transfer of custom route files from Basecamp to 665 with no problems.

It does have one unusual quirk, in that when I import a new custom route file, the 665 creates two new custom routes, one with the original file name, the second with the original file name plus "1". In other words, I'll see two new custom routes, for example, "Clifton ride" and "Clifton ride1". Both are the same, and my practice has been to simply delete the second one.

But when I heard from Garmin that Basecamp was not compatible with my 665, I was prompted to check out the latest Garmin offerings, and happened across the 595. Having had the 665 for several years, I am not averse to an upgrade if the additional features are worth the considerable cost.

Which prompts me to reach out with a few questions that will be best answered by actual users.

1. I am assuming that my existing 665 mount will have to be replaced with a new one, correct? It would just be too convenient if that were not so...

2. The XM weather feature is pretty cool, and has helped me avoid heavy weather many times...so I like it. However, the 595 has some smartphone app that appears to deliver the same (maybe better) weather radar service...for free. If this feature really worked as well or better than my XM, that alone might make it worth the cost of change. Can anyone offer experience on this question?

3. Back to the original issue, is the 595 compatible with Garmin Basecamp route planning software?

Thanks in advance for any comments from experienced 595 users! :thumb:

leroysch
04-20-2016, 08:49 PM
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

Might find the answer above.

F6Bchris
06-03-2016, 08:12 PM
:banghead: So I looked all over to try to make the New ZUMO 595 fully functional. I found on BikeMP3.com a splice to make the microphone work. Today I got it and hooked it all up. Everything works great. Then when my wife plugged into the interphone she could hear everything, but her microphone no longer works. Some might think this is fine, but I do like talking to her and she would like to make phone calls.

So does anyone have a solution how to make her microphone work?

Wing'n it
06-05-2016, 07:13 AM
My new 595 will be here Tuesday and I cant wait. I wasn't using my head and ruined a 2595 the other day when I got caught in the rain. I thought it was staying dry because of the shield but turns out it was being blasted with water from the back side,...oh well it was a cheapie. I ordered the 595 with the tire pressure sensors and recently sold my Tire Gard TPMS system.

F6Bchris
06-05-2016, 01:46 PM
I think you will really like it. I like it alot. I just need to get the intercom working with my rider and it will be perfect.