PDA

View Full Version : Cap for antenna stub

Davidk
04-20-2016, 08:37 PM
I never use the radio and the antenna is in the way when I carry items on my luggage rack. Removed the antenna and added a cap. Wasn't tight enough to stay so I added a couple dabs inside from a hot glue gun

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=32496226

Jimmytee
04-20-2016, 09:23 PM
I removed the OEM antenna. Replaced it with an amplified antenna I put under the rear tail section. I used a black plug in the hole of the boot. That's how it will be until I have the hole filled when I paint her next winter.

ths61
04-20-2016, 09:25 PM
I removed the OEM antenna. Replaced it with an amplified antenna I put under the rear tail section. I used a black plug in the hole of the boot. That's how it will be until I have the hole filled when I paint her next winter.

How is the amplified antenna working ? I laid my OEM antenna down under the back dash and it doesn't pick up squat.

Penguin
04-20-2016, 09:36 PM
With today's technology, why do they need that ugly antenna anyway. Something a little more stealthy.:shrug:

Jimmytee
04-21-2016, 05:29 AM
How is the amplified antenna working ? I laid my OEM antenna down under the back dash and it doesn't pick up squat.

It works better than the OEM, but that's not saying much. :icon_rolleyes:
I was actually able to pick something up on the weather radio portion and pick up some AM as well as more FM.
I recently upgraded the sound in a friends Batwing Fairing. She had an antenna inside her fairing that seemed to do really well, but there was no identifying marks on the antenna. I would like to find out where to get that one because it seemed to pull in many stations clearly from inside my garage.
To be honest, between SiriusXM,I Heart Radio/Pandora and USB/stored music, I don't use the tuner on my stereo much if at all.

willtill
04-21-2016, 05:35 AM
I was actually able to pick something up on the weather radio portion and pick up some AM as well as more FM.
I recently upgraded the sound in a friends Batwing Fairing. She had an antenna inside her fairing that seemed to do really well, but there was no identifying marks on the antenna. I would like to find out where to get that one because it seemed to pull in many stations clearly from inside my garage.
To be honest, between SiriusXM,I Heart Radio/Pandora and USB/stored music, I don't use the tuner on my stereo much if at all.

Too much "talk" on the radio's music channels anyway...

3Chief
04-21-2016, 05:44 AM
Too much "talk" on the radio's music channels anyway...

+1

Figured out how to turn off the radio a few days after getting my B 5 months ago and haven't looked back.

jm21ddd15
04-21-2016, 07:15 AM
+1

Figured out how to turn off the radio a few days after getting my B 5 months ago and haven't looked back.

+1. Did the same last spring.

ths61
04-21-2016, 01:10 PM

What did the hidden antenna look like ? Was it OEM or aftermarket ?

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/touring-models/109220d1271042321-inside-fairing-antenna-for-8-99-and-it-works-well-img_3952.jpg

Penguin
04-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Used to install a lot of these in the fairings of Harleys

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/inet/storefront/getimage.php?recid=47561

Jimmytee
04-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Used to install a lot of these in the fairings of Harleys

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/inet/storefront/getimage.php?recid=47561

That looks like the one I installed in my F6B inside the rear tail section.

Jimmytee
04-21-2016, 04:24 PM
The white thing is the antenna. No it is not factory, neither is the fairing. It's some inexpensive, and poorly made IMHO, fiberglass fairing she has on her Heritage. The guy that installed it for her swayed her against adding an amplifier. He also didn't have any relay involved and had some skimpy wiring from the battery powering the radio continuously. If she didn't unplug it, she'd come out to a dead battery.:icon_rolleyes:
I rewired it, added a relay that is triggered from an accessory circuit. I added a support for the radio and now the amplifier that I also added . I cleaned up the wiring and I made a piece from aluminum, not pictured, that shelters the radio and amp in the event the water gets in through where the fairing halves meet at the windshield.