PDA

View Full Version : OK guys, why the love affair with SNOW TIRES

DMAGOLDRDR
04-22-2016, 09:48 AM
I have been running CTs now for 5 yrs or so on two different bikes. My F6B rides on a Kumho run flat Ecsta, and Valkyrie Interstate with a NEXEN.
I use Summer Tires with as few sipes as possible. My thinking is this..

For grip, we want as much solid rubber on the road as possible. IE: race cars run slicks for maximum traction. But of course they do not run in rain so the need for siping is a moot point.
Also with siping brings multiple tread blocks. Again, in my mind, that adds movement and a bit of wiggle to the tread.

I decided to read up on this a bit and found from most tire manufacturers have this to say re Winter tires

........................- the tread rubber of winter tires is considerably more flexible than that of all season and summer tires. That same pliable tread rubber that adds traction in winter will wear down quickly in warm temperatures. Summer and all-season tires are built to withstand warm temperatures, providing long wear life.
Decreased performance - In warm weather, winter tires won't provide the same handling capabilities as summer or all-season tires. Imagine if you needed to make a quick maneuver and your tires were soft and squishy. You won't get the crisp response from a winter tire in warm weather. Winter tires need that flexibilitity to handle ice and snow, but it's not as useful in warm weather.
The specialized compounds and tread designs of winter tires are not designed for optimal warm climate performance and wear...............

Sooo just to satisfy my need to know, why do many Car Tire users go with a Snow Tread. Am I missing out on something better by over thinking tread design?

ths61
04-22-2016, 10:40 AM
Don't the snow tires being used by the DS have tread further up the sides compared to summer tires ? :shrug:

Also, if you consider the weight/tire, the softer compound argument may be less of an issue (e.g. car @ 1,000lbs/tire versus F6B @ 500lbs/tire).

DMAGOLDRDR
04-23-2016, 07:31 AM
Don't the snow tires being used by the DS have tread further up the sides compared to summer tires ? :shrug:

Also, if you consider the weight/tire, the softer compound argument may be less of an issue (e.g. car @ 1,000lbs/tire versus F6B @ 500lbs/tire).

"tread further up the sides"... I never noticed, that may be a positive I never saw Thanks.

bob109
04-23-2016, 08:34 AM
From what I have gleaned over the past several years, the only reason folks choose a winter tire design is for the "more motorcycle tire like ride". The stiff sidewall of the run-flats have handling characteristics which almost mirror that of a MT. There is a misconception by most that a more rounded edge tread/thread makes the tire "roll of center" easier. That may be true for run-flats with stiff sidewalls but isn't with conventional 1 ply soft wall radials. Case in point is the General G-Max. My personal experience with the Max which delivered 30K+ miles of wear and showed no sign of wear except for the tread/thread face. The soft side wall allows the rim to "plant" itself and compress the wall making it "squat". This tends to lift the tread/thread center while applying maximum pressure to the tread/thread outer edge!

The attached pics show some outer edge "scalloping" but absolutely no wear to any portion of the sidewall!

Steve 0080
04-23-2016, 08:53 AM
I have seen a snow tire with good/great tread left and the steel showing on the outside edge of the tire...but that person thinks his GW is a rocket !

DMAGOLDRDR
04-23-2016, 01:53 PM
From what I have gleaned over the past several years, the only reason folks choose a winter tire design is for the "more motorcycle tire like ride". The stiff sidewall of the run-flats have handling characteristics which almost mirror that of a MT. There is a misconception by most that a more rounded edge tread/thread makes the tire "roll of center" easier. That may be true for run-flats with stiff sidewalls but isn't with conventional 1 ply soft wall radials. Case in point is the General G-Max. My personal experience with the Max which delivered 30K+ miles of wear and showed no sign of wear except for the tread/thread face. The soft side wall allows the rim to "plant" itself and compress the wall making it "squat". This tends to lift the tread/thread center while applying maximum pressure to the tread/thread outer edge!

The attached pics show some outer edge "scalloping" but absolutely no wear to any portion of the sidewall!

Ok,, so a Winter compound may let the tire conform to road conditions and give a different ride feel. hhmmm good point Bob, thanks for your input. That gives me more to think about when I need to replace my Kumho.

bob109
04-23-2016, 02:13 PM
Ok,, so a Winter compound may let the tire conform to road conditions and give a different ride feel. hhmmm good point Bob, thanks for your input. That gives me more to think about when I need to replace my Kumho.

I hope to be at the Meet and Greet on May 1st! If you make it you can get a close look at both my front BattlAx and rear G-Max:039:

DMAGOLDRDR
04-23-2016, 03:10 PM
I should be there as well, see you on the 1st.

DMAGOLDRDR
04-25-2016, 11:24 AM
I have seen a snow tire with good/great tread left and the steel showing on the outside edge of the tire...but that person thinks his GW is a rocket !

Yup,, those Valkyries are pretty tough on tires also. This one of my last Motorcycle tires from my Valkyrie Interstate.