PDA

View Full Version : Confessions from the first hour in the darkside

Davidk
04-22-2016, 03:07 PM
After 7000 miles of mostly twisties, my OEM rear tire is shot. Shooter blames it on the high percentage of twisty road driving that I do and my “aggressive driving style” :) No one ever called me slow.

Shooter, very generously, allowed me to borrow a mounted CT, allowed me to use his shop/tools and helped me change the wheel. Thank you again Shooter!

The tire is a General G Max with 1000 miles.

I was surprised that I noticed some subtleties. I could feel the tread on the new tire. The bike was not quite as smooth as with the MT. Not much of a difference, just enough to notice.

0-65mph – I found it took just a touch more to lean, and the bike kind of snapped back upright when I straightened up.

65mph - ? (I’m not saying) – Didn’t notice anything when changing lanes. I guess the tire actually has to touch the road to notice it :)

Twisties – Definitely took a bit more to lean, but not a problem. Did notice that I needed to keep her leaning more on long turns than with my MT as the bike wanted to straighten up slightly. Noticeable, but not a problem.

Sharp turns – Same as twisties, but even sharp 180s were not a problem.

Conclusions:
-Highway and straight road driving – I would definitely go with a CT.

-Mostly twisties – Bike definitely handles better with OEM MT, but need to balance that with the benefits of increased breaking ability and tire life. I will ride some more before deciding.

If I decide to stay dark, I think I want to use a run flat. Are there any that might ride a bit smoother than the General G Max?

seadog
04-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Shooter didn't say anything about there being a right wrist problem on your bike? I do believe that was the problem on mine! Hellofva guy to lend you all that stuff to keep you on two wheels. Shooter's a good man and I don't care what Stroguy says about him!

shooter
04-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Dog , he's got my spare. When he left outta here he did a burnout. He left 500 miles of tire in front of my shop. Told me he would see me in a month or two. He left me a dirty wheel and an old choppy worn out Bridgestone as collateral.

Davidk
04-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Dog , he's got my spare. When he left outta here he did a burnout. He left 500 miles of tire in front of my shop. Told me he would see me in a month or two. He left me a dirty wheel and an old choppy worn out Bridgestone as collateral.

Collateral??? You actually thought you were getting the CT back??

Davidk
04-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Shooter didn't say anything about there being a right wrist problem on your bike? I do believe that was the problem on mine! Hellofva guy to lend you all that stuff to keep you on two wheels. Shooter's a good man and I don't care what Stroguy says about him!

He said something about twisting and jerking my right wrist too much, but I didn't understand what he meant by that.

shooter
04-22-2016, 04:12 PM
:icon_doh:

seadog
04-22-2016, 04:53 PM

You might have to go over there in force it sounds like to reclaim your CT.

Maddoggie501
04-22-2016, 05:48 PM
After 7000 miles of mostly twisties, my OEM rear tire is shot. Shooter blames it on the high percentage of twisty road driving that I do and my “aggressive driving style” :) No one ever called me slow.

Shooter, very generously, allowed me to borrow a mounted CT, allowed me to use his shop/tools and helped me change the wheel. Thank you again Shooter!

The tire is a General G Max with 1000 miles.

I was surprised that I noticed some subtleties. I could feel the tread on the new tire. The bike was not quite as smooth as with the MT. Not much of a difference, just enough to notice.

0-65mph – I found it took just a touch more to lean, and the bike kind of snapped back upright when I straightened up.

65mph - ? (I’m not saying) – Didn’t notice anything when changing lanes. I guess the tire actually has to touch the road to notice it :)

Twisties – Definitely took a bit more to lean, but not a problem. Did notice that I needed to keep her leaning more on long turns than with my MT as the bike wanted to straighten up slightly. Noticeable, but not a problem.

Sharp turns – Same as twisties, but even sharp 180s were not a problem.

Conclusions:
-Highway and straight road driving – I would definitely go with a CT.

-Mostly twisties – Bike definitely handles better with OEM MT, but need to balance that with the benefits of increased breaking ability and tire life. I will ride some more before deciding.

If I decide to stay dark, I think I want to use a run flat. Are there any that might ride a bit smoother than the General G Max?

I appreciate your evaluation. Since I also have a right wrist disease and mostly ride the twisties in New Mexico and Southern Colorado, sounds like for now I better just wear out the stock Bridgestones.

Davidk
04-22-2016, 06:10 PM
I appreciate your evaluation. Since I also have a right wrist disease and mostly ride the twisties in New Mexico and Southern Colorado, sounds like for now I better just wear out the stock Bridgestones.

What you gain is run flat, better braking and longer tire life.

Run flat can be replaced with RideOn, but braking and tirelife can not be increased any other way. Just have to decide if the small reduction in handling is worth the tradeoff

shooter
04-22-2016, 07:48 PM
You might have to go over there in force it sounds like to reclaim your CT.

Have you seen his avatar??!! He shoots guns for a living!!! My name is Shooter not Stupid!!

Phantom
04-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Have you seen his avatar??!! He shoots guns for a living!!! My name is Shooter not Stupid!!
funnychit.

bob109
04-22-2016, 08:10 PM
What you gain is run flat, better braking and longer tire life.

Run flat can be replaced with RideOn, but braking and tirelife can not be increased any other way. Just have to decide if the small reduction in handling is worth the tradeoff

A few folks who are riding/using run flats are not getting the anticipated mileage they thought they would. If my memory serves me right I discussed this with Steve 0080 at a RTE in Crystal River. He stated his run flat Alpine would't likely produce the mileage achieved with the G-Max conventional radial (30,300 miles). I'm sure Steve will respond and rectify and correct my "brain fart " statement if need be:shock:

ths61
04-22-2016, 08:14 PM
A few folks who are riding/using run flats are not getting the anticipated mileage they thought they would. If my memory serves me right I discussed this with Steve 0080 at a RTE in Crystal River. He stated his run flat Alpine would't likely produce the mileage achieved with the G-Max conventional radial (30,300 miles). I'm sure Steve will respond and rectify and correct my "brain fart " statement if need be:shock:

Are you still running the BT45's up front ?

Davidk
04-22-2016, 08:15 PM

30,000 sure beats my 7000. I like the idea of the runflat for the stronger walls and not worring as much about punctures

bob109
04-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Are you still running the BT45's up front ?

I'm on my second BT-45! A remarkable tire IMHO! It turned my 6 into a corner carver with it's 1/4" narrower profile than the OEM tire. Several other folks are using the Ax and seem to have high opinions of the tire. Steve 0080 is currently on one:shhh:

Davidk
04-22-2016, 09:10 PM
I'm on my second BT-45! A remarkable tire IMHO! It turned my 6 into a corner carver with it's 1/4" narrower profile than the OEM tire. Several other folks are using the Ax and seem to have high opinions of the tire. Steve 0080 is currently on one:shhh:

What do u mean by corner carver? How is it better than the oem?

There seems to be a few versions of the BT-45. Which r u running?

ths61
04-22-2016, 09:24 PM

Are you mixing Bias on the front with a Radial on the back ?

bob109
04-23-2016, 06:06 AM
Are you mixing Bias on the front with a Radial on the back ?

Based upon a major motorcycle manufacturers decision to mass market the Yamaha Raider with a bias front and radial rear, I found this a non-issue. What was once "taboo" now seems the norm.

Bridgestone's info on the Ax!
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVjNqWRtXxcwAJroPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21 tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1461438955/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bridgestone.com%2fproducts%2fm otorcycle_tires%2fproducts%2fdetail%2fpr014%2finde x.html/RK=0/RS=owEtYXO_aadpWRdU6dlICJdYDlw-

Steve 0080
04-23-2016, 09:46 AM

I am not getting milage in the 30's on my Alpine. I did run it most of the time at 36psi. I have lowered it to 32psi. I will change it out in August and post tire milage at that time,,,

Installed 05/22/14 milage 13,600. Current milage=31500 or 17900 on the tire. The wear bars are just about there in the middle but a little bit
more thread on the outside. I will pull it in August.

The Ax up front is a great tire! Yes I am double darkside !!! :yikes:

Steve 0080
06-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Took the Alpine off the F6 today and install an OEM...getting ready for sale...19,910 and the wear bars where close... Installed the Dunlop winter Sprit DSST on the GL1800 @ 22K.

The Alpine could have gone another 5K miles w/o to much effort...Lesson #1...run 32# PSI.... ran 36# a lot in the mountains and this probably hurt the milage. I did not buy the tire for milage but for traction! Great tire, went with the Dunlop as the Alpine were discontinued and or could not locate one. The Dunlop seems to be OK...Rode 100 miles tonight, no issues...32#

willtill
06-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Took the Alpine off the F6 today and install an OEM...getting ready for sale...19,910 and the wear bars where close... Installed the Dunlop winter Sprit DSST on the GL1800 @ 22K.

The Alpine could have gone another 5K miles w/o to much effort...Lesson #1...run 32# PSI.... ran 36# a lot in the mountains and this probably hurt the milage. I did not buy the tire for milage but for traction! Great tire, went with the Dunlop as the Alpine were discontinued and or could not locate one. The Dunlop seems to be OK...Rode 100 miles tonight, no issues...32#

NICE truck Steve! :yes:

I am glad that you took that first picture of the car tire and motorcycle tire; side by side like that. I have been eyeing the new Michelin Alpine that I have; alongside the new G/W wheel and tire I just bought off Ebay. The car tire certainly looks "fatter" and from looking at the clearance in the F6B's rear wheel well... it would almost seem that it would be almost touching the sides of it.

How much side clearance is actually available, after one installs any 195/55R 16 car tire in there...?

Steve 0080
06-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks Will, I have had the truck for 14 years and cannot see getting rid of it... it is near perfect and has the last 7.3 !!!

As for as the tire, Ummm. lets go take a pic....... This one slid right home...no issues. On the alpine, I put a plastic bag over it so it would go in better... I did not let out any air on this one...Hard to tell with these pics......but about 1/2 inch on either side.

willtill
06-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks Will, I have had the truck for 14 years and cannot see getting rid of it... it is near perfect and has the last 7.3 !!!

As for as the tire, Ummm. lets go take a pic....... This one slid right home...no issues. On the alpine, I put a plastic bag over it so it would go in better... I did not let out any air on this one...Hard to tell with these pics......but about 1/2 inch on either side.

The pictures do not lie. My suspicions are ill founded. Thanks for taking those Steve.

Steve 0080
07-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Here is an update on the Dunlop Winter Sprit RF, Great tire. Currently running 34#. Super grip wet and dry. The price was right, my new go to tire !!!

bob109
07-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Here is an update on the Dunlop Winter Sprit RF, Great tire. Currently running 34#. Super grip wet and dry. The price was right, my new go to tire !!!

That's a great looking tire Steve:039:

BIGLRY
07-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Hey Steve could you post up the size of that Dunlop winter Sprit DSST you put on and is it a Run Flat as I could not find it posted anywhere in this thread?:shrug:

http://www.pneusarabais.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/dunlop-sp-winter-sport-3d-img20151.jpg

53driver
07-29-2016, 04:07 PM

Hey Steve could you post up the size of that Dunlop winter Sprit DSST you put on and is it a Run Flat as I could not find it posted anywhere in this thread?:shrug:

Lol....

But I am interested in the size as well....
Cheers,
Steve

BIGLRY
07-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Here is an update on the Dunlop Winter Sprit RF, Great tire. Currently running 34#. Super grip wet and dry. The price was right, my new go to tire !!!Steve
oops... my bad I did not see the RF I need to clean my glasses.....that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :icon_doh:

Steve 0080
07-30-2016, 07:49 AM
Its all good Larry. 195-55-16 .... I like 32# with this tire and believe it will give you the best tire life. I run 34# because of the TMPS...BluPurl does not like it until36# which turns off the flashing light! Here is something I did not post originally . Both of these tires are new!

blackmetoc
07-30-2016, 09:34 AM
:icon_lol:

Good gouge.

BIGLRY
07-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Its all good Larry. 195-55-16 .... I like 32# with this tire and believe it will give you the best tire life. I run 34# because of the TMPS...BluPurl does not like it until36# which turns off the flashing light! Here is something I did not post originally . Both of these tires are new!
Thanks!:yes: