PDA

View Full Version : And another new F6B owner ...

Circle-5
04-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Middle-aged, overweight and very pleased with my purchase ... The first thing I did after the 5-mile ride home from the dealer was to apply seven coats of Liquid Glass to seal the infamous Honda eco-paint, allowing each LG coat to "bake" in the California sun. Many thanks to the folks on this forum, for warning me (and other unsuspecting customers) about this issue. To say the factory paint was soft is an understatement, but LG definitely helped (you know it's a good product because it's banned in this State!) Then I added the tall OEM windscreen and just ordered Show-Chrome 52-906 conformal LED fog lights and the aftermarket ride-off centerstand from WingStuff.

Things I like about the F6B: good looks, not a Harley, lots of power, uncommon model (at least in Los Angeles), low CG, this forum and the flat-6's good reputation for reliability.

Things I don't like about the F6B: could use a 6th gear, somewhat cheesy-feeling suspension (but that should be fixable – I was amazed at how Progressive shocks improved the ride on my old Sportster). I'm also not crazy about all the plastic, but the bike is already heavy enough, so that probably helps a lot.

The only real issue I have is the lack of ABS. I was saved by ABS on a nasty gravel bed (on a BMW) and feel ABS should have been available, at least as an option. Across Europe and elsewhere, ABS is mandatory, especially on a heavy motorcycle like this. American Honda is just trying to hit a marketing price point by eliminating this safety feature, which is unfortunate. In the end, the good points considerably outweighed the bad, so I bought it.

I would also have preferred a 2015 or 2016 model with cruise control, but I forgot to win the lottery.

Motorcycles are a bit like women: pricey accessories make them happy. So next on my list are Helibars (I probably could live without, but why?) and a luggage rack of some sort.

I am grateful for the existence of this forum and all the good people and posts that have helped my decision. It's good to be here.

MisterB
04-24-2016, 09:33 PM
.welcome20.'welcome gang'
Have a blast!

GONRDN
04-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Congrats on the new bike.

Steve 0080
04-24-2016, 09:48 PM
'welcome gang's the board!!! Looks like the LG worked !!!

lgjhn
04-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Congrats on becoming the owner of one sweet ride. :yes:

53driver
04-24-2016, 10:36 PM
It's a bit far for an HD....but check out the thread on the annual rally this fall in Arkansas!

Welcome!
Steve

shooter
04-24-2016, 10:47 PM
Suspension is adjustable on the rear. Get it right its actually not bad.

3Chief
04-24-2016, 11:21 PM
'welcome gang'

Elin in So. Cal.
04-25-2016, 12:28 AM
It's a bit far for an HD....but check out the thread on the annual rally this fall in Arkansas!

Welcome!
Steve

It's only 23 hours.... if ya wanna get there in a hurry...

Circle-5
04-25-2016, 12:52 AM
Suspension is adjustable on the rear. Get it right its actually not bad.

Thanks – I found the adjustment (forgot to RTFM ...)

Jimmytee
04-25-2016, 04:57 AM
.welcome20.

Another fast red one.

I stopped in my dealer down the street and they had another 2013 ,fresh out of the crate , up on a lift ready to be completed for sale. I asked Ray (the mechanic) if the 2013s were getting harder to come by. He said yep.

114th COBRA
04-25-2016, 05:18 AM
.welcome20. ENJOY THE RIDE

Fla_rider
04-25-2016, 05:58 AM
It's only 23 hours.... if ya wanna get there in a hurry...

It's the Dragon Bike!

'welcome gang' from Tampa Florida!

pilotguy299
04-25-2016, 07:56 AM
Congrats on the new ride. You'll love her!

RickW
04-25-2016, 08:08 AM
Welcome from NE Ohio

unsub
04-25-2016, 07:26 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. :cheers:

hardtail
04-25-2016, 08:49 PM
Welcome from West Virginia! Enjoy the ride. Good people, good information, and sometimes good entertainment!!

Joel S.
04-25-2016, 10:04 PM
i have to say that as far as forums go, the people and posts on this one are GREAT! No bull crap and helpful folks!

Enjoy and RIDE SAFE! :-)

Joel S.

Freeport IL

wiggy
04-25-2016, 11:08 PM
Congrats on the new B. When I first purchased my bike last July, it was a brand new, leftover 2013. I had heard the horror stories about the paint so
the first thing I did was build up about 6 coats of Liquid Glass over the course of a few days.

If you're looking for something that'll protect the paint and build up a tough layer, you'll need to keep looking because Liquid Glass isn't the answer.
It is easy to put on-even in the hot sun. I DID let mine bake in the hot sun.
But my bike has the fine scratches just like all the others have reported and I use nothing but microfiber rags to clean it with.

Circle-5
04-28-2016, 01:39 AM
Congrats on the new B. When I first purchased my bike last July, it was a brand new, leftover 2013. I had heard the horror stories about the paint so
the first thing I did was build up about 6 coats of Liquid Glass over the course of a few days.

If you're looking for something that'll protect the paint and build up a tough layer, you'll need to keep looking because Liquid Glass isn't the answer.
It is easy to put on-even in the hot sun. I DID let mine bake in the hot sun.
But my bike has the fine scratches just like all the others have reported and I use nothing but microfiber rags to clean it with.

Red paint pigments oxydize faster than any other color, including yellow (just look at a 10-year-old red car ...) so I expect to end up painting all the plastic at some point -- maybe a new color altogether. Chromated epoxy aerospace paint with an alodine coating pre-treatment is the probably the most durable paint system around (commercial airliners fly at ~600mph, so your typical bug or rain drop hits a lot harder ...) Of course, the stuff is probably illegal in this state. BTW, I had to order Liquid Glass from eBay, because Amazon won't ship it to over-regulated California.

I'm enjoying the F6B more and more. Even though it's 99% Goldwing, it's also very different and much more fun, IMHO. Thanks to everyone on the forum for their good wishes!