PDA

View Full Version : Strongly considering the F6B, have a few minor concerns

STRaider
04-25-2016, 09:04 AM
I'm new to this wonderful site, and wanted to get some input from experienced F6B owners. I currently have a Honda ST1300 and a BMW R1200 GS. I really like both of these bikes. I bought the ST as a second bike, intending to put it in another location for when I am out there, allowing me to have a bike to ride, and keeping the GS at my home. A friend of mine purchased an F6B, and on a long ride he let me try it out.

The comfort was incredible. At 6'3", I didn't realize how "narrow" I felt I was sitting on the ST and the GS. Both are comfortable, upright riding postures, but that wide seat of the F6B and position of my legs just felt so comfortable, the position of the pegs felt great (not too far forward), and that engine...So smooth and strong. The balance was perfect, and I was shocked how easy the bike was to handle, even at low speeds. Honda nailed the COG with this one. I knew I liked the bike immediately, even though initially I didn't care for the looks of the bike. The looks have grown on me, I know I would need a taller shield, but that is an easy fix.

My concerns are the lack of ABS. I sort of made a pact with myself to get only ABS bikes in the future. I am surprised a bike like this doesn't have them, part of Honda's desire to cut weight off of the Gold Wing I suppose. Another concern is how low the bike is, i.e. seems like there would be lots of peg scraping if I ever find time to get to some twisty roads. Also, I've read some comments about paint issues, and have some concerns about this.

The two bikes I have narrowed down to getting if I did get one are the F6B and a BMW 1200RT, perhaps an 2010 or 2011. I'm concerned I will have the same issue with the 1200RT being "too narrow" on long trips, again, a problem I didn't realize I had until I rode the F6B. :icon_lol: The biggest single concern with the F6B is the lack of ABS. Did anyone else have hesitation over this, and if so, what convinced you to move forward and how do you feel about the performance of the brakes since acquiring the bike? Thanks, and I look forward to your comments.

opas ride
04-25-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm new to this wonderful site, and wanted to get some input from experienced F6B owners. I currently have a Honda ST1300 and a BMW R1200 GS. I really like both of these bikes. I bought the ST as a second bike, intending to put it in another location for when I am out there, allowing me to have a bike to ride, and keeping the GS at my home. A friend of mine purchased an F6B, and on a long ride he let me try it out.

The comfort was incredible. At 6'3", I didn't realize how "narrow" I felt I was sitting on the ST and the GS. Both are comfortable, upright riding postures, but that wide seat of the F6B and position of my legs just felt so comfortable, the position of the pegs felt great (not too far forward), and that engine...So smooth and strong. The balance was perfect, and I was shocked how easy the bike was to handle, even at low speeds. Honda nailed the COG with this one. I knew I liked the bike immediately, even though initially I didn't care for the looks of the bike. The looks have grown on me, I know I would need a taller shield, but that is an easy fix.

My concerns are the lack of ABS. I sort of made a pact with myself to get only ABS bikes in the future. I am surprised a bike like this doesn't have them, part of Honda's desire to cut weight off of the Gold Wing I suppose. Another concern is how low the bike is, i.e. seems like there would be lots of peg scraping if I ever find time to get to some twisty roads. Also, I've read some comments about paint issues, and have some concerns about this.

The two bikes I have narrowed down to getting if I did get one are the F6B and a BMW 1200RT, perhaps an 2010 or 2011. I'm concerned I will have the same issue with the 1200RT being "too narrow" on long trips, again, a problem I didn't realize I had until I rode the F6B. :icon_lol: The biggest single concern with the F6B is the lack of ABS. Did anyone else have hesitation over this, and if so, what convinced you to move forward and how do you feel about the performance of the brakes since acquiring the bike? Thanks, and I look forward to your comments.
The brakes on the F6B with Honda's linked braking system work just great and in MHO no need for ABS..This linked system works fine and has done so for years. Just be sure to check if the brake re-call has been done on any F6B you might consider as Honda last fall issued a brake recall for the rear master cylinder to be replaced and a fluid change, as some bikes developed a rear brake drag....The fix is free and those that have done it so far seem satisfied...Ride safe BTW, I ride with a friend that has the BMW R1200RT and he likes my F6B better.

53driver
04-25-2016, 11:50 AM
I concur with Opas - if you are an average biker with an appreciation for "threshold braking" - the need for ABS is very minimal.
Spend about an hour in a parking lot with the brakes and delicately find the thresholds and then you should be good to go.

Don't know your pocketbook depths but there are at least two VERY nice bikes in the 4 Sale section on this forum at deals you will not see elsewhere.
Batt13 in NY has a very nicely equipped red one and Spanky has his black one.
Both gentlemen are meticulous in their maintenance and attention to detail.

Happy hunting!

DMAGOLDRDR
04-25-2016, 12:02 PM

I am another that is not happy with lack of ABS on todays machines. Also I am NOT a fan of linked brakes, but they do work well on the F6B. I ride all year round and between rain and the lack of traction in winter on cold pavement even a linked system won't keep you from locking up a tire in an emergency stop.
BUT... I could not let that keep me from the F6B as the rest of the motorcycle works very well. Quiet, smooth and dependable out weighed the lack of ABS for me.

Airborne06
04-25-2016, 12:12 PM
I am another that is not happy with lack of ABS on todays machines. Also I am NOT a fan of linked brakes, but they do work well on the F6B. I ride all year round and between rain and the lack of traction in winter on cold pavement even a linked system won't keep you from locking up a tire in an emergency stop.
BUT... I could not let that keep me from the F6B as the rest of the motorcycle works very well. Quiet, smooth and dependable out weighed the lack of ABS for me.

I agree. I'll bet the 2017's have at least an ABS option...maybe on the Deluxe. Non-USA F6Bs are already ABS equipped.

Winston
04-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Strange that here, the European models do have ABS.
Before, had a st 1300 with abs aswell, but with the 2/3. 1/3 brake system, on both models, so far never needed the abs.

Worst surprise is when you drive the st 1300 again. Feels so heavy to manipulate after driven the f6b.

GONRDN
04-25-2016, 12:47 PM
My step daughter just painted her ez bake oven and she did a better job then Honda did on my f6b. Other then that, I love my bike. Once the paint issue leaves your train of thought, as it did mine, you'll realize that a little Palmolive dish soap works pretty good for shine.

Hornblower
04-25-2016, 01:26 PM

As others have mentioned, I believe you will find the brakes to be adequate without ABS. The peg scraping however (and other hard parts) would be the main drawback for a really aggressive rider. About all you can do is pump up the rear preload and go with it. To keep from wearing through the pegs, there are titanium "pucks" that can mount underneath and save them. That said, the bikes' great attributes more than makes up for this deficiency (IMO).

114th COBRA
04-25-2016, 02:15 PM
I just completed and a single day 500 mile round trip up into the hills of Pennsylvania on my 2015 Deluxe yesterday, and this only complaint I have is cleaning the bugs off the bike this morning. :icon_biggrin: This machine is awsome. Ran between 70-80 mph for the majority of the trip and it performed flawlessly. I'm sure once you make a long run on one, you're gonna love it. I know I do. 'gw-smiley'

Slammd
04-25-2016, 08:03 PM
The brakes on this touring machine are absolutely some of the best i've experienced. While I too wished for ABS on the F6B (for those unsuspected occurrences) you really won't need them. I do wish Honda would have employed a similar brake strategy as Harley…they utilize a linked ABS braking system that separates front from rear below 20mph - very nice for dragging the rear brake only for low speed maneuvers. In any case, there are so many other fantastic characteristics of this bike that I enjoy, I have completely gotten over the lack of ABS.

shooter
04-25-2016, 08:11 PM
I've ridden a lot of different bikes over the years. I've had occasion to make a few dozen panic stops with the B. This bike has some of the best brakes on the planet. Having said that , it's the "GO" function I like the best. If the brakes are what you're worried about , don't worry.

lowkee
04-25-2016, 08:59 PM
I've wanted this bike since it came out and just got one this past fall. Have been waiting for abs myself. I have an 09 C-14ABS and didn't want to be without ABS again. There were days I swore I would never be without ABS.
I accidently bought another Harley in 14 with ABS while I was waiting For f6b to get ABS. It stopped great but didn't go. I traded it in on my f6b
I'm not sorry.

I've got better than 16 hours riding in rain and tried to make the rear tire lock up in the rain numerous times without success. I'm not going to attempt on paint, gravel, or Leaves but my brain wont allow me to use ABS then either. My biggest fear was once I got used to ABS, would I be more careless without it. Its like riding a bike. Went back to my old ways.
Good Tire technology and linked brakes gives me some confidence. Just my opinion, Its not ABS but its some serious stopping ability.

I've heard taller people have issues with these bikes?! I'm 6ft only have 6k so far but I love it.

I love the way The F6B handles in corners. Its so stable it makes me laugh. I do scrape more often then I like. Working on cornering technics so I can corner a little faster without scraping.
(I have to add The C-14 has more cornering ability then I do)

For me its a relief to finally get this bike and not wait for the ABS anymore.
I let a Hardcore BMW guy ride MY C-14 a while back He came back with a huge smile on his face and said
"Its a little heavy in corners, But its fast. You can't have everything. Great bike!"
That always plays back in my head..."you can't have everything"

STRaider
04-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Great responses by all. I appreciate them. I try not to buy bikes that often, attempting to research them out and stick with them once I purchase them. I do like this bike, and the responses on the ABS help. Once I sell my 1200GS (Hopefully this week), I will likely pull the trigger on a clean, used F6B. Loving this forum already, thanks again to all.

DarkKnt
04-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Too bad you're not closer to our border.... our weak Canadian dollar and ABS equipped bikes would make you happy... as for cornering clearance, yes, you can drag the pegs, belly pan and even the engine guards. The beauty of it is the damn bike is so stable and confidence inspiring that you don't mind doing it! I'm using a bit more of a sport bike "hang off" style these days.

ShanghaiDan
04-25-2016, 11:08 PM
Before, had a st 1300 with abs aswell, but with the 2/3. 1/3 brake system, on both models, so far never needed the abs.

Worst surprise is when you drive the st 1300 again. Feels so heavy to manipulate after driven the f6b.

It's a new law in the EU effective Jan 1 2016 - all motorcycles must have ABS. The US will lag behind a few years but we'll end up with all models having ABS as well since our motorcycle market is so tiny and it doesn't make much sense for most metric bike brands to make a custom version for the US.

MisterB
04-25-2016, 11:28 PM

I sold the lighter ST1300 and was ready to give up biking, back issues and other things made it too hard to thread the needle backwards out of the garage in the morning due to the high COG.
It's such an issue that there is a sub-forum on the ST site about drops.
This heavier bike feels at least 100 lbs lighter than the ST unpowered.
My dream brake setup would be like the one mentioned, unlinked at low speed with ABS, however; perfection is the enemy of good enough.
or:
"better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without" - Confucius

3Chief
04-25-2016, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=MisterB;117184My dream brake setup would be like the one mentioned, unlinked at low speed with ABS, however; perfection is the enemy of good enough.
or:
"better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without" - Confucius[/QUOTE]

+1

Brasco
04-26-2016, 12:26 AM
DarkKnt mentioned this but if you were up for the importation paperwork (and unknown associated $$ costs) and a significant ride home, you'd get a an ABS-equipped F6B Canadian model for about $18,500 US based on list price. Another $500 for the 2016.

CheesyRider
04-26-2016, 07:49 AM
Another option is to buy a full wing with ABS and convert it into an F6B.

Bryster
04-26-2016, 08:13 AM
I sold the lighter ST1300 and was ready to give up biking, back issues and other things made it too hard to thread the needle backwards out of the garage in the morning due to the high COG.
It's such an issue that there is a sub-forum on the ST site about drops.
This heavier bike feels at least 100 lbs lighter than the ST unpowered.
My dream brake setup would be like the one mentioned, unlinked at low speed with ABS, however; perfection is the enemy of good enough.
or:
"better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without" - Confucius

Heh...

My work bike is an ST1300, and yes, rolling that feels SO much heavier than the F6 to move. The F6 has reverse, but after moving the ST out, the blue beasts a doddle. :icon_wink:

53driver
04-26-2016, 10:07 AM
Heh...

My work bike is an ST1300, and yes, rolling that feels SO much heavier than the F6 to move. The F6 has reverse, but after moving the ST out, the blue beasts a doddle. :icon_wink:

No "reverse" in the older USA models (like my 2014)....but she's still easy to maneuver.

Old Ryder
04-26-2016, 12:13 PM
I have been riding since 1977 and can not remember all of the bikes I have owned over the years--- Victorys, Harleys, Yamahas, and bunches of Hondas of all variety. Have I owned a perfect bike that had everything I wanted and did everything well. The obvious answer is no since I have owned a bunch of others. Also, what I like and want in a bike changes with age and other things. I used to love to polish the chrome on my Harleys and feel the ground shake when it idled. Now I love the lack of chrome and quiet ride of my F6B.

I am 60 years old and no longer wish to "Peacock" with noise and chrome. The B was a challenge to get it to fit my frame and it took a Madstad, Ultimate King Rider seat, Kury ERGO pegs and Helibars mounted on Rockys Risers to get a perfect fit. FOR WHERE I AM NOW this bike is the closest thing to what I want. I also wish it had ABS, but it is the best braking bike I have owned to date. When you are considering the almost 900 lbs it weighs without a rider, that is impressive---to me anyway.

Then for the days I wish to cut loose, I fire up my Street Rod!

Again, your smileage may vary.

Cobraguy
04-26-2016, 12:28 PM
So your shopping for a second bike to keep at a destination to ride some distances comfortably while at said destination and you want ABS. Try a full Goldwing on for size. From your comments I feel you will be pleased with it and you can score a used well equipped one for 10k-15k all day long.

airfreek
04-26-2016, 12:31 PM
I too have owned BMW Adventure bikes and others with ABS brakes. In 8 months of riding the 2015 F6B all I can say is that the brakes are great and after a couple of thousand miles of "getting used to riding a heavy bike again" I have no complaints or major worries. With that said, I have not had to make a high or low speed emergency stop on the F6b yet. The controlled braking system works well

VStarRider
04-26-2016, 06:53 PM
For the entire summer of 2015, the Victory Cross Country Tour was #1 on my list, mainly because of the ABS and cruise that the F6B did not have. I even found a 2014 leftover stock that the dealer was practically willing to give away ($3000 for my VStar, and old sled, rebate, hefty discount, etc). I couldn't wait to get it ... forget the dam F6B. Finally got the funds together and went to test drive the CC Tour.

It's April, and the F6B is in my garage.

Need I say more? Okay, I will. I cut the test ride short on the Vic and hit the Honda dealer on the way home. Had a deal worked out later that week for a leftover '13 Standard.

The smooth, reliable six, the power, the looks, etc. made up for the lack of ABS and CC, both high on my list of wants. I just grit my teeth and deal with not having the ABS, though I really wish I had it for the extra piece of mind. Instead, I bought a fluorescent safety vest. "coffee"

STRaider
04-26-2016, 10:42 PM
So your shopping for a second bike to keep at a destination to ride some distances comfortably while at said destination and you want ABS. Try a full Goldwing on for size. From your comments I feel you will be pleased with it and you can score a used well equipped one for 10k-15k all day long.

I'm considering the F6B as my main/only bike at home and moving my ST1300 ABS to a location in West Texas. This would allow easy access to Colorado/New Mexico on occasion while working out there.

I'm asking about the brakes on the F6B as again, it will become my main (and only) ride at home. Seems like a well designed, comfortable bike that can do a lot of things really well, thus making it a great choice. I just want to get comfortable with the idea that the bike I ride the most will not have ABS. Many of the comments here are really helping.

gmorstad
04-26-2016, 11:26 PM

I am 6'1, 240 and came from a ST1300. I actually had two ST1300s and destroyed the first one on a curve with gravel. I had a custom seat built for the second one because I consider the stock seat to be horrible. Even with the custom seat I found I could not stay comfortable for 200 miles. My knees were hurting because of the constant bend. I would take my feet off the pegs and let them hang toward the ground just to get relief. I also did not realize how top heavy the ST was until I rode the F6B. The F6B has a much lower COG and I find it easier to handle.

After buying the F6B I found my knees were still hurting in the constant position so I installed Kuryakyn II pegs and that changed everything. Because of the pegs I have the ability to ride in four different positions including bracing my feet with my legs perfectly straight and getting off the bottom of my butt while pushing the back of it into the slant in the seat. That gives my butt a rest and allows me to ride all day.

I still owned the ST for a short time after buying the F6B and after getting used to the F6B I found riding the ST somewhat difficult as far as balance was concerned. Like you I also felt the ST was too narrow for me. So for me the change was great. I have now found my perfect motorcycle. It's comfortable, fast, balanced and stable. Perfect! You would not be sorry.

Oops I tried to add something and replied to my own post. Please see my added statements there.

gmorstad
04-26-2016, 11:32 PM
I am 6'1, 240 and came from a ST1300. I actually had two ST1300s and destroyed the first one on a curve with gravel. I had a custom seat built for the second one because I consider the stock seat to be horrible. Even with the custom seat I found I could not stay comfortable for 200 miles. My knees were hurting because of the constant bend. I would take my feet off the pegs and let them hang toward the ground just to get relief. I also did not realize how top heavy the ST was until I rode the F6B. The F6B has a much lower COG and I find it easier to handle.

After buying the F6B I found my knees were still hurting in the constant position so I installed Kuryakyn II pegs and that changed everything. Because of the pegs I have the ability to ride in four different positions including bracing my feet with my legs perfectly straight and getting off the bottom of my butt while pushing the back of it into the slant in the seat. That gives my butt a rest and allows me to ride all day.

I still owned the ST for a short time after buying the F6B and after getting used to the F6B I found riding the ST somewhat difficult as far as balance was concerned. Like you I also felt the ST was too narrow for me. So for me the change was great. I have now found my perfect motorcycle. It's comfortable, fast, balanced and stable. Perfect! You would not be sorry

By the way, I love the linked braking system and I like others have never felt the need for ABS. The brakes are very powerful as are the ST brakes. Both stop quickly and with confidence. I noticed Winston said the same thing as me about riding the ST again after the F6B. It really was shocking.

Cheff Pazzo
04-28-2016, 12:23 AM
Very surprised American models don't come with ABS. I have the Canadian F6B with ABS.

pilotguy299
04-28-2016, 05:57 AM
I would have preferred to have ABS on the F6B as well, but the linked braking system seems to work well enough.

I do wonder if they really save that much when they so may variations of the same bike...

Circle-5
04-28-2016, 03:08 PM
I agree the linked brakes on the F6B (and other Goldwings) are well-designed and have very good stopping power. However, you'll never know that you really needed ABS until that rare occurrence where it will save you from a nasty spill. It's like the ejection seat on a fighter jet: you hope you'll never need it, but it's there just in case.

I doubt that weight-savings is the reason for the absence of ABS on most U.S. Goldwings, including the F6B – the weight of these components is minimal. Rather, the blame rests squarely on American Honda, who is trying to hit a price point to increase sales (or profit) at the expense of safety. I believe the U.S. is the only country where in the world where F6Bs are still sold without ABS, simply because ABS is not yet mandated here by law. All other major motorcycle manufacturers thankfully include ABS as a standard feature on most U.S. models. American Honda is the exception, other than with the ST1300, now discontinued.

Your hesitation about the ABS issue is warranted. However, when I saw the 2016s still did not have ABS, I bought an F6B anyway. And so far, I'm having a blast!

Brewdog
04-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Leaving the mechanics aside, my reason for NOT buying BMW K1600 or R 1200RT were the huge cost of service and support. Go visit their forums and you discover nagging service issues. BMW certainly has their share of issues. German bikes are great until it fails, then it's your fault. The R 1200 RT is the more reliable of the two. After visiting two dealers and listening to their arrogance and then looking at their stack of backed up bikes needing service work, I felt positive that combination would show up on my bill. So I thanked them and moved on! Glad I did. People say Harley are unreliable, but they have been extremely reliable for me with zero service issues.

Old Ryder
04-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Leaving the mechanics aside, my reason for NOT buying BMW K1600 or R 1200RT were the huge cost of service and support. Go visit their forums and you discover nagging service issues. BMW certainly has their share of issues. German bikes are great until it fails, then it's your fault. The R 1200 RT is the more reliable of the two. After visiting two dealers and listening to their arrogance and then looking at their stack of backed up bikes needing service work, I felt positive that combination would show up on my bill. So I thanked them and moved on! Glad I did. People say Harley are unreliable, but they have been extremely reliable for me with zero service issues.

Reminds me of a trip I took with some friends a few years ago. I had my Fatboy and I was getting all sorts of grief about parts falling off and noise, etc... One guy was on a Shadow and 3 others were on BMWs. Two of the BMWs broke down during the 3 day trip and the one that did not only had 1,000 miles on it.

I seem to remember on one of the other forums that if you ride a BMW motorcycle 10K per year and have the dealer do the required scheduled maintenance it adds up to something like $1,700 per year---without any breakdowns. I don't know that to be a fact, but just what I read.

And yes, after owning Victory for a while, the available parts and maintenance free reputation that is Honda, figured into my decision. Honda motorcycles and autos set the benchmark for low cost dependable and maintenance free miles.