PDA

View Full Version : Snow tire disadvantages?

Davidk
04-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Searching online, I found several sites that stated disadvantages of using snow tires on cars in the summer:

- Slippery in the rain because not a lot of siping

- Heat related failure

- summer, and they turn "greasy" very rapidly,

- On dry and wet roads, you’re sacrificing handling.

I know lots of riders like snow tires, but would these problems not be applicable to darkside motorcycling also?

DMAGOLDRDR
04-25-2016, 10:15 AM
See my thread re the same question from a few days ago. You may find some info there.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8486-OK-guys-why-the-love-affair-with-SNOW-TIRES

Davidk
04-25-2016, 11:12 AM
See my thread re the same question from a few days ago. You may find some info there.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8486-OK-guys-why-the-love-affair-with-SNOW-TIRES

I read that but it it didn't really help. According to what I read running a winter tire inthr summer on a car is not good. Will the lighter weight of a bike negate those disadvantages?

valkmc
04-26-2016, 11:22 AM
I read that but it it didn't really help. According to what I read running a winter tire inthr summer on a car is not good. Will the lighter weight of a bike negate those disadvantages?

No issues, I run the Michelin on my 13 and live in sunny Florida. Temps near 100 many days. I have no issues at all! This is my second one. The first one started on my Wing and finished on my 6. Close to 30k and I was so happy with it I bought a second one.

shooter
04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
It gets pretty hot in MO and my Michelin looks good. No problems. I would buy another if they were still making them when I need it. Could be a few years.

bob109
04-26-2016, 03:59 PM
With both cars, pick-up's and semi's routinely traveling our interstates from North to South and reverse I believe the debate of running a designated "snow tire" to be a non-issue. The exception would be a vehicle with studded tires in which case in the state of Pa. those tires had to be removed by April 1st, if my memory serves me right. Summer and winters tires not only have different thread/tread designs but different rates of Silica in their rubber compounds. That would have a direct impact on winter traction and tire life. Technically tires have to perform in all kinds of conditions, be it winter or summer. Most tires are embossed with Threat Wear, Temperature and Tractions Rating which give the consumer some idea of the tires overall performance That said, many tires carry a all-season rating....good performance summer or winter:icon_wink:

Davidk
04-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Alright then gents, Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 purchased.

Brewdog
04-26-2016, 06:52 PM
I don't want car or snow tires for my f6b. I just replaced a set of Dunlop elite3 tires off my Harley Davidson ultra limited with 24,000 miles on them. That is the tire that's going the F6B next year.

I've "been there and done that" 5-7 k miles on a motorcycle business. That's the biggest pain in the ass of motorcycle ownership. If I rode a sport bike, I would buy new tires annually.

bob109
04-26-2016, 10:50 PM
I don't want car or snow tires for my f6b. I just replaced a set of Dunlop elite3 tires off my Harley Davidson ultra limited with 24,000 miles on them. That is the tire that's going the F6B next year.

Please make sure you revisit and update this post when you get 24K miles of wear from a Dunlop Elite 3 on your F6B:039:

Brewdog
04-27-2016, 05:43 AM
Please make sure you revisit and update this post when you get 24K miles of wear from a Dunlop Elite 3 on your F6B:039:

Greetings from China this week. Sure will bob109. It took me 4 years to put 24k on my Harley. I wouldn't want to keep a tire that was much more than 5 years old on any motorcycle. My average ride is 250 miles per day.

willtill
04-27-2016, 06:10 AM

I've "been there and done that" 5-7 k miles on a motorcycle business. That's the biggest pain in the ass of motorcycle ownership. If I rode a sport bike, I would buy new tires annually.

I had Dunlop Elite 3's on my past Victory Vision. They are a long wearing tire. I think I got 18K out of the rear one and I changed the front at close to 20K. Both tires still had some life left in them.

53driver
04-27-2016, 10:21 AM

I got 18k on the OEM tires in 20 months of professionally spirited riding - probably a 65-35% split between slab and curves respectively. Front at 39, rear at 40 - always.

ths61
04-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Greetings from China this week. Sure will bob109. It took me 4 years to put 24k on my Harley. I wouldn't want to keep a tire that was much more than 5 years old on any motorcycle. My average ride is 250 miles per day.

FWIW, the new Dunlop E4's are advertised as being quieter and higher mileage than the E3's.

Brewdog
04-27-2016, 02:09 PM
FWIW, the new Dunlop E4's are advertised as being quieter and higher mileage than the E3's.

Wow, that's great news! I didn't notice the tires being noisy. Thanks for the info.

53driver
04-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Dunlop E4 MSRP:
Front - $260
Rear - $317

Revzilla states they are in stock at $166 & $203
Can our sponsors match that?

Steve 0080
04-27-2016, 03:01 PM
No issues w/ the snow tire in the south any time of year !!!!!

bob109
05-01-2016, 02:27 AM

The list of past cycle tires advertising higher/improved mileage is long. Riders results have proved that gains have been small/minimal, if any! Things may change in the future when you see Threadwear, Temperature and Traction Ratings embossed on cycle tire sidewalls. Of course, I personally wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen:icon_wink: I believe the old adage of "If it sounds too good to be true it usually is" was written specifically for cycle tires:stirthepot: