PDA

View Full Version : XM radio and such things.

choptop
04-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Going to go w/something like XM radio, in the near future, for the long road days during the trips this summer. Already have a fair amount of music on a stick but want another source. I know it has been mentioned in other threads but these things change and other sources become available... If you were going to purchase a subscription to one of these news/music sources, which would you go w/ and I am looking to move the receiver from bike to cage. Thanks in advance.

pitcherd
04-27-2016, 10:37 AM
I bluetooth my phone and play Pandora Radio. All depends on your signal for your wireless device though. I do come across areas in North Carolina that I have no service.

Darryl

DMAGOLDRDR
04-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Going to go w/something like XM radio, in the near future, for the long road days during the trips this summer. Already have a fair amount of music on a stick but want another source. I know it has been mentioned in other threads but these things change and other sources become available... If you were going to purchase a subscription to one of these news/music sources, which would you go w/ and I am looking to move the receiver from bike to cage. Thanks in advance.

I have XM and a riding friend has Sirius and we have found that in the New England area he has much better signal from Sirius. My XM will cut out from time to time when his Sirius doesn't. I heard although the same company now, they use different Satellites.

I also have a drive in the left saddle bag but like the option of different music. My XM is in the left small Fairing compartment and the antenna is mounted up near the windshield. This way I can toggle thru AUX from my XM to Flash drive as needed. The XM is mostly mounted in my car and I just slide it out and then into the mount for the bike.
For $25.00 every 5 months I am very happy to have the option of any music I want at the push of a button.

edgeman55
04-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Wife and I have Sirius/XM all access.Wife has it built in to her auto radio and I have a Stratus 7 reciever that I move from the bike to my shop to a land dock.On the bike I too keep it in the left cubby and the antenna is on top of the dash below the middle of the windshield.Reception is great with this setup.We pay about 150.00 a year for both subscriptions.Only drawback like cable/satt providers one must barter a new price every year.I tend to say I will be leaving them so they give me a better price-Also I would not sign up for autopay let them send you a bill every year that way they will not try to stick you with full price.Overall we like it,lots of choices of what to listen to,good reception everywhere you are.

Jimmytee
04-27-2016, 02:03 PM
I have Sirius XM on my bike. My situation is different than probably anyone else as I do not have any of the OEM audio electronics on my bike. Because of this, I have a Sirius XM tuner that plugs into the Clarion head unit. I find myself listening more to the Sirius XM than I do anything else.I do have 30 gigs of music via a USB input and I can stream I heart or Pandora from my phone via Bluetooth to the Clarion unit.However the satellite radio has been getting the most use. Only issues are that sometimes when surrounded by high cliffs and dense trees, the satellite radio will lose the signal. That doesn't happen too much ,but it does happen. Last weekend, for example, when I was riding in the area around the Tail of the Dragon, I'd lose the signal from time to time. Then I just switched to my stored music.

choptop
04-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys, all the info helps !

ths61
04-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Wife and I have Sirius/XM all access.Wife has it built in to her auto radio and I have a Stratus 7 reciever that I move from the bike to my shop to a land dock.On the bike I too keep it in the left cubby and the antenna is on top of the dash below the middle of the windshield.Reception is great with this setup.We pay about 150.00 a year for both subscriptions.Only drawback like cable/satt providers one must barter a new price every year.I tend to say I will be leaving them so they give me a better price-Also I would not sign up for autopay let them send you a bill every year that way they will not try to stick you with full price.Overall we like it,lots of choices of what to listen to,good reception everywhere you are.

That is a good price. They are currently asking $200 for just 1 subscription (supposedly already on sale).

edgeman55
04-27-2016, 06:40 PM
That is a good price. They are currently asking $200 for just 1 subscription (supposedly already on sale).

Yea it really depends on who you talk to.I think the last time I haggled a new price after telling them I would drop the subscriptions it took about 3 people and 45 minutes till they came up with that price.They always claim year after year they can't go any lower but they do.I always feel like I am haggling to buy a blanket in Mexico-if you get my drift.Crappy business practice on there part but it's the game that must be played.I believe my renew price on the original bill was 288.00:yikes:

ths61
04-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Yea it really depends on who you talk to.I think the last time I haggled a new price after telling them I would drop the subscriptions it took about 3 people and 45 minutes till they came up with that price.They always claim year after year they can't go any lower but they do.I always feel like I am haggling to buy a blanket in Mexico-if you get my drift.Crappy business practice on there part but it's the game that must be played.I believe my renew price on the original bill was 288.00:yikes:

We had it on 3 vehicles and @ renewal I wanted to switch one of the subscriptions to a different device. They wanted to charge me for what I thought was an unreasonable "transfer" fee and wouldn't budge on the price. Being such, their pricing policy negotiated themselves out of a 3 device subscription renewal. They had no problems loosing the renewals over the "transfer" fee.

GaTeach
04-27-2016, 10:57 PM
I bluetooth my phone and play Pandora Radio. All depends on your signal for your wireless device though. I do come across areas in North Carolina that I have no service.

Darryl

Groveland?????? I lived there for ten years. Redwing Road. Half mile down from the restaurant.

pitcherd
05-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Groveland?????? I lived there for ten years. Redwing Road. Half mile down from the restaurant.

I live way North of there Closer to Leesburg. I pass Redwing all the time though, they still have very good food.

Darryl

busflyer
05-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Any pics of the various installs would be nice including how and where the best antenna location is.

Thanks,

Blaine.

busflyer
05-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Another question -- has anyone made a Sirius/XM radio work through the us but connector in the saddlebag? If so, which model and will the handlebar controls change the stations.

Thanks,

Blaine.

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Any pics of the various installs would be nice including how and where the best antenna location is.

Thanks,

Blaine.

In the left cubby and antenna puck on the dash behind the windshield. And yes, I get good reception behind the windshield.
J

RickJ
05-15-2016, 08:28 AM
The fidelity (band width) is bad, they charge too much, last time I looked they even charged for "licensing" or whatever...like a store having a price for an item and then charging you extra for the electricity for store lights, their help line/customer service sucks, their billing is confusing, ...eff 'em.

Other than that, they're great.

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-15-2016, 02:08 PM
The fidelity (band width) is bad, they charge too much, last time I looked they even charged for "licensing" or whatever...like a store having a price for an item and then charging you extra for the electricity for store lights, their help line/customer service sucks, their billing is confusing, ...eff 'em.

Other than that, they're great.

I agree, the OP didn't ask about the quality and customer service. I often question myself why I still have it. But it's an option if I get tired of recorded tunes.
It is true band width sucks. I remember 5 to 6 years ago that Sirius was all I listened to and it sounded good.
Anyway, it's old technology, long in the tooth, but it is an option.

J

RickJ
05-15-2016, 03:43 PM
I agree, the OP didn't ask about the quality and customer service. I often question myself why I still have it. But it's an option if I get tired of recorded tunes.
It is true band width sucks. I remember 5 to 6 years ago that Sirius was all I listened to and it sounded good.
Anyway, it's old technology, long in the tooth, but it is an option.

J

Of course, you are right. I listened to the Blues channel, Jazz and Old time radio...but the negatives I mentioned finally overcame the benefits. I have a thumb drive full of goods tunes and radio, such as it is in deadzone heaven here upstate NY. Bluetooth would be nice for podcasts. Frankly, when I got rid of XM, I got to enjoy a kind of meditative (but alert) state...if that makes sense.

jeffro413
06-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Darryl

what USB bluetooth do you use? my iphone 5s won't work in the left bag. i have a cheap usb bluetooth but it won't tell me what track is playing just continuous play.

Thanks in advance.

Chas
06-08-2016, 02:07 PM

Thanks,

Blaine.

Here is my set up. Using Leader mounts. I like everything about it. As for antenna. Honda installs them under the front cowling, so I removed it and put the antenna there. Works fine.4121