PDA

View Full Version : car wheel damage

wjduke
04-27-2016, 02:01 PM
For my automotive friends...see the following pic of a wheel we just got in. His wife had a flat, and Volvo no longer gives a spare tire. They give you fix-a-flat. When that didn't work, he took it off to find this hole. A bolt went through the tire and right through the wheel. Not totally rare, but not something seen too often.

shooter
04-27-2016, 02:09 PM
A lot of the manufacturers now give you a tire pump and fix a flat. Any of you guys that have a newer car , check the spare tire well. They don't even provide a jack. See this a lot on GM especially. Malibu's right up to Cadillacs.

seadog
04-27-2016, 02:18 PM
A lot of the manufacturers now give you a tire pump and fix a flat. Any of you guys that have a newer car , check the spare tire well. They don't even provide a jack. See this a lot on GM especially. Malibu's right up to Cadillacs.

These days your luck to have a steering wheel for $20,000 bucks

wjduke
04-27-2016, 02:28 PM

I think you can add Hyundai to that list.

Delta
04-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Ford Fusion Hybrid comes with fix a flat and a pump. No spare, no jack, no nothing.

3Chief
04-27-2016, 05:24 PM
I think you can add Hyundai to that list.

Yep, just looked in the rental car. Fancy pump and fix-a-flat...:shock:

ths61
04-27-2016, 05:31 PM
For my automotive friends...see the following pic of a wheel we just got in. His wife had a flat, and Volvo no longer gives a spare tire. They give you fix-a-flat. When that didn't work, he took it off to find this hole. A bolt went through the tire and right through the wheel. Not totally rare, but not something seen too often.

Are you sure no one shot out her tire ?

wjduke
04-27-2016, 06:10 PM
He found the bolt in the wheel.

edgeman55
04-27-2016, 06:54 PM
My spare is a little card in my wallet with the letters AAA on it.

shooter
04-27-2016, 07:02 PM
That's all well and good unless there is no cell signal. Lot of places in this country still get where that is commonplace.

Travelor
04-27-2016, 07:24 PM
This doesn't seem to make any sense. How would a bolt that went through the tire then continue inward and go right through the wheel? All the forces involved via rotation of the wheel would indicate that the bolt would stay against the inside of the tire. Somebody ain't telling the truth..........

gray rider
04-27-2016, 07:26 PM
My 2015 VW Golf R has a sub woofer where the spare tire would normally go and a can of goop with pump.

bob109
04-27-2016, 07:44 PM
This doesn't seem to make any sense. How would a bolt that went through the tire then continue inward and go right through the wheel? All the forces involved via rotation of the wheel would indicate that the bolt would stay against the inside of the tire. Somebody ain't telling the truth..........

Never say Never:shhh: Especially with the extra large diameter rims of todays autos, with extremely "low profile tire" mounted, a long enough bolt/rod could penetrate both with considerable ease. Think of all the bent rims that are just the result of hitting a curb or pothole:yikes: My son bought a new Audi A4 and the dealer offered "wheel insurance"! Seems to replace a tire and rim on that car required $1200.00 for the combo:icon_doh:

shooter
04-27-2016, 07:56 PM

What you think is impossible is highly probable. I can tell you how this probably happened. Bolt went through tire. Tire went flat. After tire was flat and bring driven on the tire was against the inside of the rim. As the.bolt flopped around inside the tire it stood up at the precise moment that it came to the bottom where the tire was being forced up against the wheel. Presto , bolt goes through the rim.

wjduke
04-27-2016, 08:32 PM
The customer is a regular and I believe him. I didn't see the bolt, but no reason to lie. The car was still on the side of the road. He had a new wheel and we sold him a tire.

Never say Never:shhh: Especially with the extra large diameter rims of todays autos, with extremely "low profile tire" mounted, a long enough bolt/rod could penetrate both with considerable ease. Think of all the bent rims that are just the result of hitting a curb or pothole:yikes: My son bought a new Audi A4 and the dealer offered "wheel insurance"! Seems to replace a tire and rim on that car required $1200.00 for the combo:icon_doh:

He said no to wheel insurance...he mentioned that. The tire size was a 235/45R17, so it was low profile.

Travelor
04-28-2016, 06:17 AM
What you think is impossible is highly probable. I can tell you how this probably happened. Bolt went through tire. Tire went flat. After tire was flat and bring driven on the tire was against the inside of the rim. As the.bolt flopped around inside the tire it stood up at the precise moment that it came to the bottom where the tire was being forced up against the wheel. Presto , bolt goes through the rim.

Okay, I'll buy that. From the looks of the wheel it doesn't have a lot of "drop" in the center where the hole is, so with low profile tires a longer bolt could have done it. Thanks for the thought.

junkyarddog
04-28-2016, 10:24 AM
I went to the junkyard, bought a donut spare, jack and handle for $18. Checked the pressure a few months later and the tire had self shredded. Got online and found a new donut tire for $50 shipped. Put it on and now I've got goop and a spare. Total cost....$68. Not $369 that they'll sell you at the dealer.

shooter
04-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Okay, I'll buy that. From the looks of the wheel it doesn't have a lot of "drop" in the center where the hole is, so with low profile tires a longer bolt could have done it. Thanks for the thought.

Been doing this for a long time. I've seen some strange shyt over the years. Duke and I could write a book. Probably be a bestseller.

Jayrock
04-28-2016, 02:00 PM
My spare is a little card in my wallet with the letters AAA on it.

+1