PDA

View Full Version : F6B vs Full GoldWing

stevenolts
05-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Has anyone had lot of experience on both the F6B and the full GoldWing? Could you give a full comparison on your take about the best and worst of each.

I have only ridden the full GoldWing once. I need to go try a test ride now that I have experience on the F6B.
Steve

Vondawg
05-02-2016, 04:47 PM
"Did you own a goldwing before the f6b" has 90+ responses....just the first quick search I hit.
Some say full wing seats you more forward, thus more room on the 6

GNW
05-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Many Wings thru the years.
Need the trunk ? By the full.
All other aspects, buy the F6B.
Need more carry capacity? Buy the F6B and a trailer to haul yo shit.
Done deal!

:agree:

Bdog
05-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Not having the rear trunk makes the F6B lighter to handle from pushing it out of the garage to riding down the HWY.

Battoo
05-02-2016, 06:13 PM
I have both at my house I have Not rode a long trip on the F6 but my wife and I just returned from a 1875 mile trip she had no complaints , I can tell you the F6 feels like a hot rod to me I love my wing but the extra weight is felt as for turns the F6 to me turns faster , all in all they are Both Top Notch Bikes

Felloverboard
05-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Add a GIVI topcase or 2 when needed.... unlock it and takeoff when not.

Felloverboard
05-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Or add a rack which attaches to a trailer hitch that can be easily removed when not in use.

Felloverboard
05-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Or go Jed Clampett s.tyle and take it all

SierraKen
05-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Has anyone had lot of experience on both the F6B and the full GoldWing? Could you give a full comparison on your take about the best and worst of each.
Really.
I have only ridden the full GoldWing once. I need to go try a test ride now that I have experience on the F6B.
Steve

I owned a full wing for five years and put over 125k miles on it. I now have a 2015 deluxe f6b I have now owned since September 2015 with just over 10k miles on her.

Loved the full wing and never shied from riding it anywhere there was pavement and a few places without. The bike handles better than any big bike I had ever ridden. It truly was a sports bike on steroids. For touring it is th best, lots of storage and comfortable for those long interstate miles trying to get your riding location. I had put many 600 plus mile days on the wing and always felt comfortable. Never felt heavy once moving. I had struts up front and had replaced the OEM rear shock with a trxxion Shock once the OEM wore out. This big bike was fun on the twisties for sure! I never found a v twin that could stay with me in the twisties.

Decided I needed a new bike and road the 6. I knew I was going to get either the 6 or a new full wing. The 6 feels so much lighter at low speeds, has a little more power due to the lighter weight. I initially missed the trunk but no longer. The riding position is a little more open and it's comfy for me. Essentially I find the 6 is just fine for my style of riding. Long distances its comfy, carries enough for a single rider and loves the twisties!

I think the biggest difference is that the full wing is its only bike if one rides two up and loves long touring. It's hard to beat. The 6 is great for the single rider who wants alittle more power and a lighter lower seated bike. I find that I scrape my Pegs more on the 6 but not sure if that because I'm riding harder or if it's due to the suspension. Remember, my full wing had after market suspension.

Hope this helps. Just my option. Either bike puts a great big smile on my fave!

stevenolts
05-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Well I guess I made the right choice with the F6B. I only ride by myself and I have a leather covered hard tour pack from my old Fatboy I can mount when needed. To be honest it has been mounted since last March a year ago because it is so nice to have 2 helmets. I now have 16000 miles on the F6B in the first year. I still have this uncontrolable need to tell everyone that this is the best bike ever made. I am completely sold on the GoldWing I just thought that maybe I missed something on first look at the full Wing.
Steve

Dave Ritsema
05-03-2016, 07:11 AM
I moved from a 2001 Valkyrie Interstate that I owned well over a decade to a 13 F6B. With risers and an Ultimate seat the riding position felt very similar to my Valkyrie but the handling was vastly better. My wife never adapted to the back of the F6B and despite all my efforts she was really never very comfortable. The trunk on the Valkyrie made her feel more secure and "tucked in".

This spring I brought home a new 40th anniversary model Goldwing with the Satellite radio and navigation package. I completely dislike the seat and seating position, the F6B was much more comfortable. I have a Ultimate seat on order that Des assures me will make my riding position much more comfortable by moving me back a few inches. Among all the farkles I have installed before I ever rode it was a fork brace, which I did not have on my F6B. While I can perceive the weight of the trunk slightly in my case I find that the bike handles enough like my F6B that I can't tell a noticeable difference. I will also tell you that I live in northern Indiana and we just don't have the hills and curves of several other parts of the country and its quite possible that a more aggressive rider may notice more of a difference than I am able to.

I am comfortable with my choice and the extra features of the full wing work for me. I really like the navigation and satellite radio integrated into the bike, and I also like the adjustable suspension from the dash. If I was 100% a solo rider I would have stayed with the F6B, but for me, riding two up much of the time the full wing is a better choice. As you can see in the picture, my wife agrees. Hope this helps!

choptop
05-03-2016, 07:23 AM
Done deal!

I went the trailer route and it is amazing how much you can haul...

TailGunner
05-03-2016, 08:57 AM
I have both at my house I have Not rode a long trip on the F6 but my wife and I just returned from a 1875 mile trip she had no complaints , I can tell you the F6 feels like a hot rod to me I love my wing but the extra weight is felt as for turns the F6 to me turns faster , all in all they are Both Top Notch Bikes 1875 miles! What do you consider a long trip?

Felloverboard
05-03-2016, 09:11 AM
1875 miles! What do you consider a long trip?

I rode 7500 miles summer of 2015 on one trip from FL to NC mountains then out to CO & UT swinging back home through OH & WV back into NC & GA..... a 5 week adventure. Will do something again this summer.

Fla_rider
05-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Done deal!

:lolup: :yes: +1

Battoo
05-03-2016, 10:42 AM
1875 miles! What do you consider a long trip?

I rode the wing my wife rode her F6B , that is the reason I said I had Not done a long ride on the F6

valkmc
05-03-2016, 01:22 PM
If you want a bike for touring and you are taking a passenger get a wing. I had one prior to my 6. If you want a biKe to use for everyday riding get the 6. Like many have said add a trailer and you can carry a lot.

My wife rides we me a lot. She likes the 6 but admits when we went cross country a couple of summers ago she loved the wing seat.

I own a 6 but think a lot about getting a wing for my longer summer trips.

Old Ryder
05-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Please keep in mind this is my opinion---and just that. The full Wing does not interest me at all, but I really love my B. The lack of all the stuff that goes on and is hanging off of a full wing is what is attractive about my F6B. I love the clean look and lack of chrome and buttons and knobs---but then again, that is just my opinion.

That is what makes my B special.

Felloverboard
05-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Please keep in mind this is my opinion---and just that. The full Wing does not interest me at all, but I really love my B. The lack of all the stuff that goes on and is hanging off of a full wing is what is attractive about my F6B. I love the clean look and lack of chrome and buttons and knobs---but then again, that is just my opinion.

And that is why the F6B is versatile to use for both for me. The top trunk & the rack sit in the garage 90% of the time.... Yet when needed for a trip it has possibilities.

Dave Ritsema
05-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Only chrome on this Wing is the antenna mount and it will get powder coated black as soon as the riding season is over! :icon_lol:

jkelley
05-04-2016, 05:39 AM
I rode the F6 from Harley and loved it. A pain in the ass to repaint, and work on but that's the deal with a wing as well.
After changing the seat as Dave mentioned, repainting and installing cruise I was pretty happy with the F6. Then my grandson decided he wanted to start riding and I just feel much better with the tour pack behind him on a full wing rather than the back rest of the F6. Besides I love the color scheme on the new wing. I took most of the goodies off of the F6 and put on the wing. As Dave mentioned the first thing was to order an Ultimate seat and get rid of the stock one. As far as performance there really is not much difference. I kept the dark side tire and will put it on the wing. The biggest thing I noticed was how smooth the transmission shifts on the wing. My F6 was clunky, and shifted no where near as good as the new wing. I like the additional goodies on the wing. Reverse is no big deal for me.
But oddly enough, the foot heater vents I have found to work really well when riding to work this winter. Ok I admit it, I am spoiled. I went from Harleys and choppers, with no wind shield to a full wing. Over the years I find the older I get comfort becomes more and more important. Yup the "cool factor" is gone. But I still aint stopping at the Dairy Queen on the wing.

Dave Ritsema
05-04-2016, 06:05 AM
JKelley,

Did you get your Ultimate yet? Mine is ordered, I am going to see Des in June and he is going to put it on for me then. I just went with the red stitching, nothing else. Wanted to keep it as close to stock as I could. Would love to hear your impressions and see a picture or two if you have them.

jkelley
05-05-2016, 05:40 AM
JKelley,

Did you get your Ultimate yet? Mine is ordered, I am going to see Des in June and he is going to put it on for me then. I just went with the red stitching, nothing else. Wanted to keep it as close to stock as I could. Would love to hear your impressions and see a picture or two if you have them.

HI Dave,
I did get mine, and just like on the F6B it made the bike rideable!!! I love it. I didn't wait for the stitching, or other options I was miserable and took what he had in stock and have no regrets. I love the seat. Sorry, no pics but I will try to take some for you soon. I'm looking at Heli bars now. I have risers on but I would really like a little more pull back. Also as with other threads, please check your rear lube level. Mine was low!

Dave Ritsema
05-05-2016, 07:30 AM
HI Dave,
I did get mine, and just like on the F6B it made the bike rideable!!! I love it. I didn't wait for the stitching, or other options I was miserable and took what he had in stock and have no regrets. I love the seat. Sorry, no pics but I will try to take some for you soon. I'm looking at Heli bars now. I have risers on but I would really like a little more pull back. Also as with other threads, please check your rear lube level. Mine was low!

Thanks for the feedback and would love to see a pic or two if you have time. I wont get my seat for another month and a half at the Valkyrie rally in WV.

And to the OP, sorry for the thread hijack!

Felloverboard
05-05-2016, 09:22 AM
I think the stock F6B seat is very comfortable, for me anyway. I have ridden 961 miles in one day and took a 7500 mile trip last summer. Wind buffeting is the only issue I have had especially in the plains states where crosswinds are horrific. The low center of gravity compared to a full-wing makes you feel as though you are on a large street type of bike on the twisty's.

jkelley
05-06-2016, 06:19 AM
I think the stock F6B seat is very comfortable, for me anyway. I have ridden 961 miles in one day and took a 7500 mile trip last summer. Wind buffeting is the only issue I have had especially in the plains states where crosswinds are horrific. The low center of gravity compared to a full-wing makes you feel as though you are on a large street type of bike on the twisty's.

Yes I agree, I tried Corbin, Russ Meyer, and ended up with an ultimate. The Ultimate was the best for me, but the stock one was not too far behind that.
On the full wing the seat that came with it was simply miserable after a short while. With the full wing being even more cramped that the F6B it made it harder to get comfortable. In comparison getting the Ultimate seat on the F6B was a major chore but I did get it on. Seemed like the holes didn't want to line up without some major persuasion. With the full wing the seat went on with no problems at all.

Lunatic Fringe
05-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Never had the pleasure of riding either bike but I did sit on both at a dealer. Definately felt a bit cramped on the full wing, that seat is just too much, locked me into one place. F6B felt less restrictive, felt like I wasn't slammed against the fairing, more relaxed. Maybe one day I can pick one up.