PDA

View Full Version : Lost key?or stolen?advice please.

Geronimo
05-02-2016, 06:52 PM
As everyone knows it is easy to leave your key in the trunk lock on a F6B, and that is what I did. Problem is, I have been busier than I can imagine and trying to leave out of town thought it was in my riding jeans. I grabbed my spare moved the bike and left for a few days. Came back and can't find my key anywhere, so I have to assume someone grabbed it if I left it in the trunk. Any ideas on cost of changing it? Or parts at least. I do not live in a good area, so I warned my neighbors after putting a cable lock on the wheel, set out a motion alarm and am paranoind for my baby.

53driver
05-02-2016, 06:58 PM
If it was me, this is the order I would do things:

If you know the key code (that little strip of metal that was attached to the keys when new) Honda dealer can order you a new one for ~$40.
If you don't have the code, then hopefully the Point of Origin dealership has it written down somewhere.
Maybe (?) Honda can use the VIN to identify the key code and get a new one.
Local Locksmith might be able to come to your location, pull the ignition switch and fabricate something.

But right now? I'm going to find my key code and email it to myself.....
Best of luck,
Steve

Geronimo
05-02-2016, 07:46 PM
My spare was the one with the little metal key code, just am worried if someone did grab my daily use key they might come back. Gonna email myself the code like you mentioned, always have a back up

taxfree4
05-02-2016, 08:08 PM
And get one of these but whatever you do don't let it hang down while you shut the saddlebag and lock it inside. Then have to call your wife to drive 30 miles to bring you the spare. She will bring it up at EVERY party and get together - till you die.

53driver
05-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Geronimo - I'm sorry. I misread your initial post. I thought you had lost both keys. One in your jeans somewhere and the spare out of the trunk.
I have no clue about re-keying costs.....

However, I'm sure it's a trip to a dealership and then it's not $$$ trivial.
However, I know I couldn't rest easily knowing my key might be in the wrong hands.

Again, best of luck.

willtill
05-03-2016, 05:38 AM
VERY EASY to leave the key in the saddle bag lock and walk away. I've done it three times since owning my bike :icon_doh:

But right now? I'm going to find my key code and email it to myself.....

I did the same thing just now... good advice :yes:

wjduke
05-03-2016, 06:45 AM
This thread just reminded me....I never got the key code when I got the bike. Called the salesman who pushed the bike out the door and he was going to get back to me. That was last November. I have about 4 keys right now, so something unheard of would have to happen...I know, follow up!

Steve 0080
05-03-2016, 06:59 AM
For me, I would get another key made at you local key shop and drive on. If someone has the old key the great news is you could get a new bike! Chances are it fell out and if found no one would know which bike it fit. To re key may be $$$$$$$.....

114th COBRA
05-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Been there, done, that. :banghead: Had two extra keys made. One to keep at home the other kept in my wallet, plus my day to day key, and like has been suggested here, listed the key code in my phone under code.
Forgetfulness comes with my age. :icon_biggrin:

TailGunner
05-03-2016, 09:00 AM
For me, I would get another key made at you local key shop and drive on. If someone has the old key the great news is you could get a new bike! Chances are it fell out and if found no one would know which bike it fit. To re key may be $$$$$$$.....
+1 :yes:

TailGunner
05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Whenever I got a new bike I made spares and put my new keys with tag in the safe

Spanky
05-03-2016, 10:17 AM
Phantom made up some cool honda keychains with a label to mail to the PO box. This way it could be sent to a "trustworthy" person. I wonder if he has ever received any?

seadog
05-03-2016, 10:35 AM
My spare was the one with the little metal key code, just am worried if someone did grab my daily use key they might come back. Gonna email myself the code like you mentioned, always have a back up

Then if it is stolen due to someone having your key at least it will be replaced at no cost to you, I believe progressive insurance has replacement cost and I am sure there are others that also have it.