PDA

View Full Version : Removed the OEM switches on the left side of the fairing.

Jimmytee
05-03-2016, 03:36 AM
Finally motivated myself to remove the now useless switches /control panel for the OEM stereo.

GaTeach
05-03-2016, 06:02 AM
That looks so nice.

Steve 0080
05-03-2016, 07:01 AM
It looks naked !!!

Vondawg
05-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Can you buy a blank plate...or did you fabricate this... I know you have a whole different sound system now..looks great, very clean

Jimmytee
05-03-2016, 02:33 PM
I fabricated it. This is how you turn one large sheet of ABS into several smaller ones...ones that didn't make the photo.:icon_rolleyes:

Dave Ritsema
05-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Nice work!

zeus661
05-03-2016, 03:29 PM
I have to ask why and where did the panel go, or how did you disconnect it?

Jimmytee
05-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Nice work!

Thanks.

Jimmytee
05-03-2016, 05:50 PM
I have to ask why and where did the panel go, or how did you disconnect it?

I do not have any of the factory stereo system on my bike. It's all aftermarket, so those switches are non functional. Just clutter on mine.

markez1010
05-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Finally motivated myself to remove the now useless switches /control panel for the OEM stereo.

So what unit do you have running your stereo. And where is it located. Do you mind showing pictures.

Jayrock
05-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Looks really clean. However, even with the weight loss of all those buttons & switches, I'm still not sure if your slow red bike can keep up with a fast black one! :icon_wink: :poke:

Willl
05-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Looks stock, well done Jimmytee :yes::yes:

You just freed up some space for a few more gauges :icon_cool:

Jimmytee
05-05-2016, 06:26 PM
So what unit do you have running your stereo. And where is it located. Do you mind showing pictures.

I have this. The controller is mounted to a mount made for my Helibars, I fabricated a plate from a piece of aluminum . Shaped to the shape of the controller and mounted it to a mount that was specifically made for a Garmin or something on the Helibars. The main part of the stereo is located where the original "Audio Unit" was located. In an enclosure under the passenger area of the seat.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_81198_Clarion-CMS2.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Item_Brand%2520SKU&scid=scbng3186694

The Clarion unit supplies a signal to two different amplifiers. I could have used one 5 channel amplifier had it been my plan to add the rear speakers from the start, but that is how it goes. The two amps power front speakers , rear speakers and a JL Audio Sub.

With the Clarion unit , I can stream stuff via Bluetooth, have Sirius XM radio, currently have a 32 gig thumb drive , which is located in my left side fairing pocket and can also send all content that is processed through my Clarion unit, straight to my Sena headsets if I wish. I have a switch to turn off the amps, if this is what I am doing.

Jimmytee
05-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Looks really clean. However, even with the weight loss of all those buttons & switches, I'm still not sure if your slow red bike can keep up with a fast black one! :icon_wink: :poke:

:cheers: Bring it...:icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
05-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Looks stock, well done Jimmytee :yes::yes:

You just freed up some space for a few more gauges :icon_cool:

Well, I have had the thought to replace the Clarion for a Rockford unit.:icon_lol:

This controller would coincidentally fit real nice right there.
I've been pretty pleased with the Clarion, just would be cool with the screen that can display album art. :icon_wink: More for the cool factor. But the controlleris $200 by itself and then the real reason I never went with it is the main audio unit I'd have to buy , which is another $400, has been delayed and delayed on availability. It's supposed to be available "Summer 2016" :icon_rolleyes:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pmx-1r

Willl
05-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Well, I have had the thought to replace the Clarion for a Rockford unit.:icon_lol:

I've been pretty pleased with the Clarion, just would be cool with the screen that can display album art. :icon_wink: More for the cool factor. But the controlleris $200 by itself and then the real reason I never went with it is the main audio unit I'd have to buy , which is another $400, has been delayed and delayed on availability. It's supposed to be available "Summer 2016" :icon_rolleyes:

That will take the cool factor up a few degrees :icon_cool:

Jimmytee
05-06-2016, 04:48 AM
That will take the cool factor up a few degrees :icon_cool:

I thought so, just not sure I'm convinced it's $600 cool. :icon_wink:

It has more features than what I for sure need on a bike, like the ability to handle video from cameras etc...
There is one feature of the Rockford that would sway me possibly besides the cool factor. With the Clarion, I have the controller mounted in a position that is very convenient for seeing the display and operating various features. I don't have the OEM handlebar controls integrated in my system.

To do so would require some inventive engineering with most likely dissecting a Clarion wired or wireless remote ( that I'd have to purchase ) and wiring it into the OEM controls.

With the control unit positioned where it is, that just doesn't seem worth it. I can operate everything just fine.
However, the Rockford unit has what's called external steering wheel control capability, which would make wiring the OEM handlebar controls a much easier task.

Willl
05-06-2016, 01:24 PM
I thought so, just not sure I'm convinced it's $600 cool. :icon_wink:

It has more features than what I for sure need on a bike, like the ability to handle video from cameras etc...
There is one feature of the Rockford that would sway me possibly besides the cool factor. With the Clarion, I have the controller mounted in a position that is very convenient for seeing the display and operating various features. I don't have the OEM handlebar controls integrated in my system.

To do so would require some inventive engineering with most likely dissecting a Clarion wired or wireless remote ( that I'd have to purchase ) and wiring it into the OEM controls.

With the control unit positioned where it is, that just doesn't seem worth it. I can operate everything just fine.
However, the Rockford unit has what's called external steering wheel control capability, which would make wiring the OEM handlebar controls a much easier task.

I agree with you a 100% and was going to say as much yesterday but did not want to come across as too negative

If I get around to the project, I'm going to match up the gauges from the right side to the left side.
On the right side I have a round key and a round Amp meter, so maybe on the left side of the bike a round oil pressure gauge with my fog light switch side by side or a clock and oil pressure gauge side by side and leave the fog light switch in it's current location, etc.

Far from the best location for reading gauges but then again it rings in the cool points for me :icon_biggrin:

Keep us up to date on this one :clap2:

Papa Tater
08-03-2016, 09:34 PM

Thinking about doing something similar - have you checked out the PMX-2 ? I was entertaining the idea of that unit using the Polk 6.5 components - not sure of the wattage 50 watts @ 2 ohm with the polks 2.7 ohm, I know that would reduce that wattage slightly. I'm looking to do a clean balanced sound system. I already have a Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x1 mono amp and going to get the JL audio 6.5 sub and build my own .25 cubic foot ported box to their spects. Not sure if I would need to get another amp? for the front speakers? higher wattage? Or different 4-5 channel amp. Any advice from you would be appreciated. Let me know your opinion on the specs of the PMX-2. I did like the sound of your system at the Franklin Rally.

Thanks Jimmy(Papa Tater)

Jimmytee
08-05-2016, 05:07 AM
Thinking about doing something similar - have you checked out the PMX-2 ? I was entertaining the idea of that unit using the Polk 6.5 components - not sure of the wattage 50 watts @ 2 ohm with the polks 2.7 ohm, I know that would reduce that wattage slightly. I'm looking to do a clean balanced sound system. I already have a Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x1 mono amp and going to get the JL audio 6.5 sub and build my own .25 cubic foot ported box to their spects. Not sure if I would need to get another amp? for the front speakers? higher wattage? Or different 4-5 channel amp. Any advice from you would be appreciated. Let me know your opinion on the specs of the PMX-2. I did like the sound of your system at the Franklin Rally.

Thanks Jimmy(Papa Tater)

The PMX-2 , I believe, would require more depth than is available on the left side area of the fairing. That is why, if I were to do the Rockford, it would be the Hide away with the PMX-1 remote. I'm not saying you couldn't make it work, but for where I'd want to put it, don't think it would work out well.

I really never considered the built in amplifier power of the unit. It would be inadequate, like the stock amplifier, for those Polks.

jeffedose
08-05-2016, 06:58 PM

20630g

this one has it all in it....doesn't it?
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pmx-2

Jimmytee
08-05-2016, 07:18 PM
g

this one has it all in it....doesn't it?
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pmx-2

You find a place that it would fit. :icon_wink: See the post immediately before yours.