PDA

View Full Version : Lamin-x headlight film protectors

willtill
05-03-2016, 06:27 AM
Anyone have any experience with the below Lamin-x product? I have ordered and received the Gunsmoke headlight covers below:

http://www.lamin-x.com/Honda-Gold-Wing-08-Gunsmoke-Headlight-Covers-p/hn041g.htm

Am a little apprehensive still about applying this film to my F6B's front headlight lenses. It "can" be removed though I'd rather not if it goes on correctly; and without any flaws.

I am also not planning to cover the low beam with this protective film. The reason why I bought these tinted headlight film protectors is that I want to see if I can "dim" the high beam a wee bit more while the headlight modulators are operating. Since the Honda F6B's high beam sits so high in the fairing; I know that it is much more pronounced (and twice the fun) compared to other motorcycles.... just looking to see if this protective film will take some of the "intensity" off of the high beam as it's cycling via modulation. If it doesn't, I'll just remove the Lamin-x film and call it a day.

I plan to trace and cut out a template first; and then transfer it to each Lamin-x film cutout and then install the Lamin-x film over each area of the High beam light output.

Original Lamin-x F6B Headlight film (unaltered):

http://i65.tinypic.com/2rz4c45.jpg

Modified Lamin-x F6B Headlight film (trimmed just to cover high beam area):

http://i63.tinypic.com/262312r.jpg

Steve 0080
05-03-2016, 07:00 AM
You may be the first !!!

Fla_rider
05-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Just my opinion - we all want to be seen more, and this mod would knock the light down. If I remember right any tinting to headlights or covers would be illegal on Military installations. You may not be affected by this, but I am. Everyone wants to add more lights. Are you willing to give up safety for looks?

Just my two cents. I always ride in daylight with highbeams.

willtill
05-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Just my opinion - we all want to be seen more, and this mod would knock the light down. If I remember right any tinting to headlights or covers would be illegal on Military installations. You may not be affected by this, but I am. Everyone wants to add more lights. Are you willing to give up safety for looks?

Just my two cents. I always ride in daylight with highbeams.

I don't think that the Gunsmoke tint is going to knock off that much light from the high beams. I only will know when I apply it to one of the high beams; and then compare the light output against the other high beam which will still be naked.

I am still leaving the two low beams naked, which are always on anyway (that is why I am trimming the Lamin-x cutouts).

This is really nothing more than an experiment. But it may result in goodness.

I just wanted to state again WHY I am doing this. To take a little of the high beam intensity off of the high beams; when they are modulating during the day towards oncoming traffic. I had walked in front of my bike a week or so ago to gauge the actual appearance of the modulation from afar and... holy cripes... the high beams are like a frikken laser boring into the human retina(s)... modulation or not. :shock: And they are adjusted correctly.

TailGunner
05-04-2016, 09:27 AM
I have been waiting to get mine done but things happen. My buddy though did get it done on one headlight using the Lamin-X and on the other using the pro installers material. He liked the instllerers stuff more because it went on better because it is thinner material. Being thinner means it might not protect the lens better(reason why were doing this) and besides when I looked at them I couldn't tell. We also went with clear

seadog
05-04-2016, 09:05 PM
They do have clear which I just ordered today to protect the headlight lenses. Up here in Michigan pouring salt and sand on the roads for winter driving that sand stays around 3/4 of the summer so you get in traffic the headlight lenses are getting the sand blast and it will take it toll on them in time so anything you can do to slow down that process is worth it weight. So I think these are going to be a benefit on how long the lenses survive the onslaught.

Craig_328
05-06-2016, 12:09 PM
I don't think that the Gunsmoke tint is going to knock off that much light from the high beams. I only will know when I apply it to one of the high beams; and then compare the light output against the other high beam which will still be naked.

I am still leaving the two low beams naked, which are always on anyway (that is why I am trimming the Lamin-x cutouts).

This is really nothing more than an experiment. But it may result in goodness.

I just wanted to state again WHY I am doing this. To take a little of the high beam intensity off of the high beams; when they are modulating during the day towards oncoming traffic. I had walked in front of my bike a week or so ago to gauge the actual appearance of the modulation from afar and... holy cripes... the high beams are like a frikken laser boring into the human retina(s)... modulation or not. :shock: And they are adjusted correctly.

lets see some finished photos...........

willtill
05-06-2016, 02:05 PM
lets see some finished photos...........

I haven't installed then as of yet. I will post pic's in this thread if I do so. Still kicking it around, about how and if I am going to do a partial install over the high beam portion only.

Craig_328
05-07-2016, 06:32 PM
I haven't installed then as of yet. I will post pic's in this thread if I do so. Still kicking it around, about how and if I am going to do a partial install over the high beam portion only.

I hear ya. how dark are they? My only issue with the install is if you decide down the road to remove them, will they leave gew on the lenses. If they do - how will we remove it and hope to not damage the perfect headlights we have.

fxdl2051
05-08-2016, 02:12 AM
A decent body shop should be able to apply this or another color film for a reasonable price. Seeing the body shop guy put this stuff on, I'm glad I didn't DIY. Not sure about legality of these colored films but I've seen them on cars in area.

willtill
05-08-2016, 06:21 AM
I hear ya. how dark are they? My only issue with the install is if you decide down the road to remove them, will they leave gew on the lenses. If they do - how will we remove it and hope to not damage the perfect headlights we have.

They have instructions on the Lamin-x site; as to how to effect removal of the film if one chose to do that. Excerpt below from their website:

To remove a long-term installation, warm the film and peel it off slowly. If there is any adhesive left on the lens, simply roll it into a ball using your finger or thumb. Use an adhesive remover, or a similar product that is safe for automotive finishes, to remove any left-over residue.

Being that our headlight lenses are made of a plastic/acrylic material; rather than glass... am not sure if it would be more difficult or damaging though...

53driver
05-08-2016, 06:33 AM
You could put the film on these:
http://wingstuff.com/products/3289-clear-headlight-protector-set-for-gl1800-goldwing?from_search=1
Then put those on the headlights.

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Steve

willtill
05-08-2016, 06:36 AM
You could put the film on these:
http://wingstuff.com/products/3289-clear-headlight-protector-set-for-gl1800-goldwing?from_search=1
Then put those on the headlights.

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Steve

Yes I saw tinted versions of those on the Internet as well... was going to go that route but thought that the Lamin-x film would provide a more exacting look and finish.

TailGunner
05-08-2016, 06:50 AM
A decent body shop should be able to apply this or another color film for a reasonable price. Seeing the body shop guy put this stuff on, I'm glad I didn't DIY. Not sure about legality of these colored films but I've seen them on cars in area.
I agree,unless your good at putting tint on let a professional do it. Not sure in other parts of the country but here in socal there are lots of window tinters that do a great job