PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on tie down straps?

stevenolts
05-03-2016, 08:09 AM
I just completed a long bike ride and I think I had the bike set up fairly good for travel. I am now looking back to see what I could have done better.

One think I need is better tie down straps. Any suggestions on tie down straps?

I also need to get the Helibars to put me further back on the bike against the Mustang built in backrest.
Steve

shooter
05-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Steve , I simplified my life by purchasing retractable ratchet straps from Powertye. I bought the length I needed and what little extra there is retracts back into the mechanism. No wasted time trying to tie off 5 ft of strap. Be sure and get the safety hooks so they can't come off if the bike flexes. If you need more info PM me.

Winston
05-03-2016, 09:35 AM
For me, nothing better than Rokstraps cargo hd 25

Hounddogguy
05-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Rockstraps here too.

Fla_rider
05-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Here is a Amazon link for the Rokstraps

http://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-ROK-10314-Black-Adjustable/dp/B00SXJM1WA

stevenolts
05-03-2016, 11:27 AM
I have been looking at the Rok Strips and was almost ready to order. I am glad you guys like them!!!
I just hate the idea of something unsecured on the bike.
Steve

Az Wingrider
05-03-2016, 11:34 AM
One more endorsement for Rok Straps. I have been using them for two years and they are the most versatile tie downs I have found

shooter
05-03-2016, 12:55 PM
And me like a dumbazz I was thinking bike tie downs so disregard the post above. For tie downs on the bike I've been using NiteIZE adjustable bungee cords with a safety hook. The adjustable feature let's you customize the length to whatever you need.

Old Ryder
05-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Love my ROK straps---got 4 sets of the small and large.

Also got a bunch of the NiteEyz equipment ties also. I keep a few of different lengths in the bag. They are the most handy things for around the house and keeping charger cords and other things organized.

53driver
05-03-2016, 03:09 PM
And me like a dumbazz I was thinking bike tie downs so disregard the post above. For tie downs on the bike I've been using NiteIZE adjustable bungee cords with a safety hook. The adjustable feature let's you customize the length to whatever you need.

I was right there with you, mate.
Tie-downs anchor the bike to a trailer.
Cargo straps are just that: for cargo.

Of course, he did say he had just completed a long ride - not a long trailer.....

shooter
05-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Yeah , Shooters not always on target. I guess I live in a bubble. Never heard of the ROK straps. Ordered 2 pair. I'm not letting anybody get ahead of me on this stuff. Gonna try them out.

stevenolts
05-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Thank you for the all the advise. I ordered 4 of the larger 60" black reflective. I ordered all 4 in the 60" because they are double the strength at 100lbs / 200lbs shock. If I really like them maybe I will get a few of the smaller ones for smaller stuff around town.

It always makes me nervous when I have something strapped on the bike not in the luggage. Hopefully these will give me confidence not to worry about it as much. I had a bag of groceries slip on my CB900 / 919 one day and the chicken started to grill on my pipes on the ride home.
Steve

seadog
05-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Yeah , Shooters not always on target. I guess I live in a bubble. Never heard of the ROK straps. Ordered 2 pair. I'm not letting anybody get ahead of me on this stuff. Gonna try them out.

Pressure too much for you these days hey Shooter, that keeping up with the Jones always cost more money.

cosborn
05-04-2016, 12:11 AM
Here is my solution, I've just completed 12000 km from the east coast to the west coast of Australia and back.

My rear Dowco bag behind the backrest holds my spares including electric tyre pump, first aid kit, straps pinched from our local BMW dealer (used to hold their new bikes in place on pallets) sun screen, spare gloves and other stuff.

The airline bag holds three changes of riding clothes (jocks, socks and shirts), shaving gear, spare pills (everything i need so that i don't have to go into the panniers all the time. The airline bag sits nicely on the back seat on top of a sheep skin to protect the seat and is held in place by a single stretchy net (Ebay $5 each)

The left pannier holds two large plastic bags, one for clean clothes (3-4 sets) and one for dirty clothes.

The right pannier holds my waxed cotton wet weather gear, warm liner for my riding jacket and any other stuff

Works great for me although i do get a few comments when i wheel in the airline bag.

Chris

adventurous1
05-04-2016, 12:29 AM
Rox's are tight.

wjduke
05-04-2016, 04:47 AM
I have a net from my 109 days that I'm going to try on my travel bag. Haven't got to it yet, but these tie downs will be the option. Shooter, did you try the tie downs you get with the luggage? The thing is still sitting on the floor and I haven't done anything yet.

shooter
05-04-2016, 06:32 AM
For my part Wayne the ones that came with it are useless. I got two bungee cords and strapped it on and took a ride. Worked great.

shooter
05-04-2016, 06:35 AM
Pressure too much for you these days hey Shooter, that keeping up with the Jones always cost more money.

That's it Dog. Kick a guy when he's down. I'll remember that next time you need backup. 53 had my back.

wjduke
05-04-2016, 06:44 AM
For my part Wayne the ones that came with it are useless. I got two bungee cords and strapped it on and took a ride. Worked great.

:yes:

seadog
05-04-2016, 06:46 AM
That's it Dog. Kick a guy when he's down. I'll remember that next time you need backup. 53 had my back.

Someone saying you should not give the dog to much credit and he needs to be kicked every now and then, who was it that said that! Paybacks are always a bitch!

stepbill
05-04-2016, 07:22 AM

Just wanted to thank you for being a dumb ass :yes:. Just ordered the tyedowns that you suggested for my trailer. Was looking for a better method just in case I ever had to tow the bike. I don't like or trust the straps that I have right now and these fit the bill!

shooter
05-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Bill those work really good. I have four of the 6 footers and I can tie my bike down in less than 5 minutes. Thanks buddy.

shooter
05-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Someone saying you should not give the dog to much credit and he needs to be kicked every now and then, who was it that said that! Paybacks are always a bitch!

That's the way , make me feel bad about it. If I had a dog I would kick him twice today.:joke: