PDA

View Full Version : smoking the rear tire

Wisenheimer
05-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Anybody ever try smoking the rear tire on this thing? I did a few burnouts on the VTX quite easily. I assume it would go straight once you got it spinning and let off the front brake? Just checking before I try it. I would hate a high side toss on this thing so I am asking.

opas ride
05-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Anybody ever try smoking the rear tire on this thing? I did a few burnouts on the VTX quite easily. I assume it would go straight once you got it spinning and let off the front brake? Just checking before I try it. I would hate a high side toss on this thing so I am asking.

Seems rather silly to me to try and "burn-up" an expensive rear tire just to impress oneself or others...along with potential damage to other components on the bike....If it is your thing go for it, but I would not waste the time or effort.....JMHO

MisterB
05-03-2016, 07:32 PM
This was all I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSNzVQZRxs

No smoke here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZHiXbqSYuI

Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9tcsvg6wLs

shooter
05-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Got a young guy that works for me Opas. 26. Most of the time he can't ride his Stage 4 HD. The rear tire is always showing cord. Last year he wanted to go on a ride with me and my brother in law. His tire was shot. I gave him my OE Stone. It was only a half size off. We put it on and made the ride. Next weekend he went to a bar and participated in a burnout contest. He won. A small plastic trophy. Ruined the tire. When I pointed this out he said " oh well , the tire didn't cost me anything". To each their own.

bob109
05-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Got a young guy that works for me Opas. 26. Most of the time he can't ride his Stage 4 HD. The rear tire is always showing cord. Last year he wanted to go on a ride with me and my brother in law. His tire was shot. I gave him my OE Stone. It was only a half size off. We put it on and made the ride. Next weekend he went to a bar and participated in a burnout contest. He won. A small plastic trophy. Ruined the tire. When I pointed this out he said " oh well , the tire didn't cost me anything". To each their own.

Young, Dumb and Full of Cu_:shhh:

MisterB
05-03-2016, 08:04 PM
" oh well , the tire didn't cost me anything".
The next one will!

unsub
05-03-2016, 08:04 PM

You weren't offended by that?

shooter
05-03-2016, 09:02 PM
No. I didn't like it. If I give you something of my own free will you can do any stupid thing you want. I would like to see him be more responsible. His daddy didn't teach him well. He's a great mechanic and a good boy. I'm trying to teach him what his daddy didn't.

Jimmytee
05-04-2016, 03:41 AM
I know that would be last damn tire I gave him. :icon_wink:

wjduke
05-04-2016, 04:51 AM
This is exactly the young generation in a nut shell. Drives me insane. Our clowns do something wrong and shrug their shoulders like, what's the big deal.

We're off topic again.....to the OP, no I haven't and won't ever try. I'll watch video's of others.

2015F6B
05-04-2016, 07:59 AM
Anybody ever try smoking the rear tire on this thing?

:wrong::bsII:

F6B1911
05-04-2016, 08:36 AM
Anybody ever try smoking the rear tire on this thing?

Not sure there are many members here ever thought about that.
But if you did, what would you have accomplished?
Please explain why you would want to smoke the tire on a big heavy shaft-driven ride, I'm curious.

shooter
05-04-2016, 09:46 AM
I know that would be last damn tire I gave him. :icon_wink:

Well you're right about that Jimmy. I'm softhearted but I'm not stupid.

MisterB
05-04-2016, 11:38 AM
My frugal buddies and I used to joke that "their dad owns a tire shop" when we'd see someone smoking their tires. These things just go away too quick to even think about it.
Well, maybe not for you Darksiders.

Sorcerer
05-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Would you need to disable the atni dive valve to by pass the linked breaks when your trying to hold the bike with the front break? With my 29" inseam I can't get my weight off the bike so I will not try. Most of vids I've seen the rider is flat footed and butt off the seat.

unsub
05-04-2016, 01:41 PM
No. I didn't like it. If I give you something of my own free will you can do any stupid thing you want. I would like to see him be more responsible. His daddy didn't teach him well. He's a great mechanic and a good boy. I'm trying to teach him what his daddy didn't.

Good on you. :yes:
He is a lucky kid, with opportunities.

LPMojo
05-05-2016, 09:30 AM
I got on my bike pretty good yesterday and the rear tire started spinning as the bike fish tailed a lil bit. Does that count? :). Caught me by surprise, as I was going in a straight line, getting on an on ramp. There was some roadside construction going on, so who knows what was on the road.
Shooter, sux about the younger guy smoking up a good tire. He'll learn one way or another!

kenny urban
05-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Anybody ever try smoking the rear tire on this thing? I did a few burnouts on the VTX quite easily. I assume it would go straight once you got it spinning and let off the front brake? Just checking before I try it. I would hate a high side toss on this thing so I am asking.,,I have not,, My buddy and I were going to get his tire changed-out at a tire store,, so we pulled behind this store, and he drove UP-TO a curb,, and started doing the longest burn-out I've seen,, we than went across the street to get the tire changed, when he got off the bike, and opened the trunk, smoke came-out.

shooter
05-05-2016, 10:17 AM
I got on my bike pretty good yesterday and the rear tire started spinning as the bike fish tailed a lil bit. Does that count? :). Caught me by surprise, as I was going in a straight line, getting on an on ramp. There was some roadside construction goingw on, so who knows what was on the road.
Shooter, sux about the younger guy smoking up a good tire. He'll learn one way or another!
LP , spinning while moving is allowed. I mean what's all that power for if you can't show off a little bit. :crackup: Hey dude , I'm shipping your windshield tonight.

LPMojo
05-05-2016, 03:27 PM
LP , spinning while moving is allowed. I mean what's all that power for if you can't show off a little bit. :crackup: Hey dude , I'm shipping your windshield tonight.

:) I'd just like to know about it before the tire decides to start spinning. Only about 200 miles on the bike, so perhaps the tires are still slick. :dunno

That's great about the windshield. :clap2: I'll let ya know when it comes in. I promise not to smoke it off...