PDA

View Full Version : Can't find a part number

Old Ryder
05-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Looking in my manual for the cheap plastic valve stem support that falls off. Yea, mine is now gone too. Does anybody have the part number and/or a good source to get a replacement.

Patch
05-05-2016, 05:54 PM
This piece? Number 5 in the image....same part is used on the back tire as well.

HOLDER, RIM VALVE 42754-MN5-000 $3.00

Old Ryder
05-06-2016, 05:31 AM
Thanks. $3 part and $8 shipping. Guess I will check the stealer.

pilotguy299
05-06-2016, 05:34 AM
thye will just order the part from the same place, and then charge you more for it! ;)

Jimmytee
05-06-2016, 05:43 AM
Next time you change your tires, do what I did and replace those stock valve stems with metal 90 degree bolt in stems. Then you won't need those keepers anymore. Makes it so much easier to check your air pressure and add air if needed. Becomes a one handed operation, where you really need two hands with the stock valve stems.

Dave Ritsema
05-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Next time you change your tires, do what I did and replace those stock valve stems with metal 90 degree bolt in stems. Then you won't need those keepers anymore. Makes it so much easier to check your air pressure and add air if needed. Becomes a one handed operation, where you really need two hands with the stock valve stems.

As a friend of mine from our Valkyrie forum says, "Friends don't let friends ride with plastic keeper valve stems". Those things have been the cause of several accidents among folks I know from coming off and allowing the valve stem to move around at speed due to centrifugal force and cause a rapid tire deflation event. As Jimmy pointed out the bolt in ones also make it much easier to check your tire pressure.

I strongly suggest changing them out on your next tire change.

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/image/000/010/790/original.jpg?1331838247

wjduke
05-06-2016, 06:41 AM

As a friend of mine from our Valkyrie forum says, "Friends don't let friends ride with plastic keeper valve stems". Those things have been the cause of several accidents among folks I know from coming off and allowing the valve stem to move around at speed due to centrifugal force and cause a rapid tire deflation event. As Jimmy pointed out the bolt in ones also make it much easier to check your tire pressure.

:yes: Put them on the previous bike and will on this one too, but, will wait for a tire replacement first. Not going through all that without a tire swap.

Old Ryder
05-06-2016, 11:29 AM

:yes: Put them on the previous bike and will on this one too, but, will wait for a tire replacement first. Not going through all that without a tire swap.

You can bet the farm that is what is going to happen!!!! Just replaced both tires less than 500 miles ago.

wjduke
05-06-2016, 11:51 AM
I expect the stems to last less than a year. I should be in need of tires by the end of this season, and I only got the bike in November.

Steve 0080
05-06-2016, 12:00 PM
It is possible to change out the stems w/o dismounting the tire but you do have to break the bead...

Hornblower
05-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Old Ryder--Hope I'm not high jacking your thread but I do agree with others on replacing the OEM valve stems with metal ones. I have used steel ones like the ones shown in previous posts but also found some that had the locking nut on the outside. I believe that's a good thing (pic below). I'm not sure I can find those again but would have to search. Since using steel stems, I have further upgraded to aluminum stems which I like even better. They are much lighter and still very strong. The ones I've been using come from KurveyGirl.com. Here is the pic of both steel and aluminum stems that I've used:

One note...if using the aluminum stems like shown, you will need to grind off a bit of the aluminum casting that the plastic "keeper" attaches to. That is easily done.

Jimmytee
05-06-2016, 04:28 PM
I have used steel ones like the ones shown in previous posts but also found some that had the locking nut on the outside. I believe that's a good thing (pic below). I'm not sure I can find those again but would have to search.

The nut on the outside is how mine are. The one's I just put on my F6B are a Showchrome product. The one's on my Valkyrie, that look just like them , I got from Jake Wilson.