PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get an OEM Honda key?

stevenolts
05-05-2016, 08:44 PM
I like the look of the original key that came with the bike. Where do I get a few spare original keys? I have a few Home Depot keys I used to make the knobs for glove box and a few other spare keys. I like the original keys the best!!!!

I also tried using one of my knob keys for the trunk lock and it does not seem to work. Does it go in farther than the glove box and the gas cover? Or do I need a bigger knob to get better leverage?
Steve

Sorcerer
05-05-2016, 09:37 PM
The glove box and fuel door are flush. The saddle bag lock is recessed. If you used the radio knobs the key will not go in far enough. I discovered that after I'd cut all 3 keys. I ended up using a black wire nut as it fit into the recessed area. I did have to remove the guts of the wire nut then fit it then epoxy it.

53driver
05-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Dealer can order keys if you have the key code.
Standby though "ccsmiley"
~$40 each....

stevenolts
05-06-2016, 06:40 AM
Thank you for the info about the saddle bag key knob. I will try making a different deeper key for that purpose.

By the way I don't like the original keys that much. $40.00 (I will live with my 3 for $5.00 spares)
Can't you just get a blank? I can imagine if you need to order by the code that the dealer would rape you but just to have another key blank cut to match your existing key. Sounds like a lot of bull!!!
Steve

CheesyRider
05-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Ebay has a bunch of blank keys for the GL1800. Some of them are OEM and some are knockoffs.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=honda+gl1800+key+blank&_sop=10

114th COBRA
05-06-2016, 07:30 AM
I ordered an extra OEM key which comes to the dealer blank and then was cut. I was told that the OEM blank has a chip in it matched to the ignition, thus Home Depot, etc. keys will not work in the ignition. I also bought Home Depot blanks, had them cut for use in the gas, glove, trunk etc. and they would not start the bike although they fit the ignition. Hope this helps.

CheesyRider
05-06-2016, 08:39 AM
I was told that the OEM blank has a chip in it matched to the ignition, thus Home Depot, etc. keys will not work in the ignition.
I had a spare key without a chip cut at Ace Hardware. It turned in the ignition, but I don't think I actually hit the start button. I hid the spare on my bike, but it is kind of a pain to get at. I'm going to have to dig it out now and see if works.

stevenolts
05-06-2016, 08:57 AM
I have the home depot keys that I used to make the gas cap knob and they do start the ignition. I have had some made at a local locksmith recommended by the Honda dealer who said they do not make keys.

All of these keys work the ignition and will lock the handlebars.

I do not believe there is a chip in the F6B keys.
Steve

stevenolts
05-06-2016, 08:58 AM
These keys without the chip will also start the bike.
Steve

wjduke
05-06-2016, 09:21 AM
I had a spare key without a chip cut at Ace Hardware. It turned in the ignition, but I don't think I actually hit the start button. I hid the spare on my bike, but it is kind of a pain to get at. I'm going to have to dig it out now and see if works.

Same here...I got them there for the key mod. I wonder now also, not that it matters much!

Davidk
05-06-2016, 09:41 AM
These keys without the chip will also start the bike.
Steve

I had keys made from blanks without the chips. They worked in the bags, gas and glove box but would not turn in the ignition. If they did start the bike what would be the purpose of the chip?

stevenolts
05-06-2016, 12:00 PM
I don't think there is a chip because all my spare keys Home Depot or from the locksmith start the bike and lock the handlebars.

I think the Home Depot keys I cut off for the knobs are too short to start the bike or unlock the handlebars.
Steve

Steve 0080
05-06-2016, 12:02 PM
There is NO chip in our keys !!!!! I have an extra blank...PM me your address and I will mail you one!

CheesyRider
05-06-2016, 12:07 PM
I did some digging around the interwebz and it seems that keys in the US market do not need chip, but Australia and other markets do.

In the US, if your key works everywhere except it won't turn in the ignition, you used a blank that cannot be fully inserted. I remember when I did the key mod, the keys I had made for the glove box and bags would not turn the in ignition even before I shortened them. I used a different blank for the ignition.

DMAGOLDRDR
05-06-2016, 12:10 PM
The OEM keys are a hair wider than most knock off keys. The wider key is needed to operate the ignition.

stevenolts
05-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Thank you Steve0080 I appreciate the offer / I have sources for keys that work / It is just like the fact that this is the only vehicle I have ever bought vanity plates for / I am in love and nothing is too good for my baby / I just like the key with the wing. I have 2 with wings 2 with out wings and 3 Home Depot to use for knobs and saddlebags.

I don't know why I am worried / I still have the 2 original keys that came with my 81 CB750K.

Steve

stevenolts
05-06-2016, 12:59 PM
I also use this bike a lot more than any bike I ever owned. (I have 16000 miles in a year) On the 81 CB750K I only have 6000 miles in 35 years but I did not ride much until my daughters grew up. I am now worth a lot more dead than alive. Don't tell my wife!!!
Steve

98valk
05-06-2016, 02:16 PM
The cheapie keys from Home Depot and other places will work in the ignition -IF- you lengthen the grooves in the key.

Lengthening the grooves lets the key be inserted all the way into the ignition. I used a dremel tool.

In the picture where the two red marks are is where the grooves have been lengthened and show about how much is needed (two grooves, both sides). Of course, I did not do this on the tank, cubby and saddlebag keys.

grendl
05-06-2016, 03:20 PM
I ordered an extra OEM key which comes to the dealer blank and then was cut. I was told that the OEM blank has a chip in it matched to the ignition, thus Home Depot, etc. keys will not work in the ignition. I also bought Home Depot blanks, had them cut for use in the gas, glove, trunk etc. and they would not start the bike although they fit the ignition. Hope this helps.

I had my spare key made at one of the local Ace hardware stores. I dont know if there is a chip but it worked just fine in the ignition for about 5 bucks..
I had also heard about the 'chip' for my Honda Ridgeline truck but I dont think any of that is true. The one for the truck was made at the same place and didnt have the fob to unlock the doors and alarm but it worked in the ignition just fine..That one cost about 60 bucks for the special way it is cut.