PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 3rd bike????

stevenolts
05-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Has anyone had a Yamaha FJR1300 before the F6B?

I am looking for a 3rd bike down the road and I am doing research (fantasizing) now. I originally was going to buy the FJR1300 when I bought the F6B. I am looking for something down the road in a few years when I have more money (Ha Ha yea right).

I would like the following features: (Any suggestions I would appreciate!!!)

More sport bike like performance power and handling than the F6B
Comfort
luggage
stereo

I know we all have that with the F6B (that is why I bought it) best mix of the above features!!!!

I would like something more sporty if possible or just something different occasionally. You know I love my beautiful blond wife but a good brunette is fun to take out for a ride now and then. (With this comment and wanting a 3rd bike I will need a new place to live so this is going to get real expensive) Which is why in reality this is most likely a fantasy. (but it is still fun to do and inspires good conversation)

Some bikes I have been considering:

Sport Tourers
FJR1300
Concourse
Trophy
BMW 1200RT (are these high maintenance?)
BMW 1600 (too expensive)

Naked
CB900 (I used to have one of these)
CB1000R
FZ1
XJR1300 (looks pretty cool for retro)

Harley (giving up performance for nastalgia) By the time I do this I will be in my 60's so this may be the better route to take.
2010 Fatboy (My previous bike)

I still have my 1981 CB750K which is fun and more flick-able as they say. It is getting a little dated and I don't trust it when I push it real hard. It is still a lot of fun and runs great but the other day I was ripping through the gears burning a new fancy Harley and it went into a death wobble at 90MPH. (It really freaked me out) I guess I need to rebuild the forks and check the tires etc... I have nice Avon's on it (sporty)
Steve

stevenolts
05-07-2016, 09:15 AM
I found this.

And, again, I can't speak to the FZ-1, but the power delivery of the FJR is the smoothest, flattest torque curve I think I've experienced since the GL1800. That's saying something.

CheesyRider
05-07-2016, 10:08 AM
I have had both a 2002 FZ1 and a 2011 FJR1300. I loved the FZ1 and hated the FJR.

The FZ1 could hit 70 in first gear and sounded great while doing it. With an aftermarket seat and windscreen, I could ride it all day. It's the second favorite bike I've owned.

The FJR was miserable to ride in hot weather, had too much vibration in the handlebar and footpegs, and exceptionally unpleasant engine sound. I don't get why so many people love them.. I've owned several bikes over the years and it was by far my least favorite.

stevenolts
05-07-2016, 10:25 AM
I was thinking that we already own the F6B which is better than the FJR1300 (I rode both back to back and chose the F6B hands down)

Also the FZ1 would be a lot cheaper and be sporty when I want sporty and I have the F6B for touring and everything else.
How is the maintenance on the FZ1? Do they last and are they as bullet proof as the Gold Wing?
Steve

stevenolts
05-07-2016, 10:58 AM
I just found out that Yamaha now makes another sport tourer. FJ-09 which is a touring model of the FZ-09 the FZ1 little brother.
What do you guys think about this one? (A more comfortable FZ type bike)
Traction control / higher closer handlebars / better seat / windshield adjustment / bigger gas tank

This one looks like more comfortable fun to play with.

Steve

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2016/2016-Yamaha-FJ-09e-small.jpg

Greg O
05-07-2016, 11:16 AM
How about a Schwinn for exercise. I know I need one.

stevenolts
05-07-2016, 11:31 AM
I already have a bicycle / This will exercise my spirit just like the F6B but a little different.

busflyer
05-07-2016, 12:06 PM
I had an R11RT with no problems at all - most of the maintenance can be done yourself and at least the 3 dealers I dealt with were great - all 3 even offered maintenance classes on the weekends for free. I can't speak to the R12RT, but overall BMW has a great product.

Blaine

CheesyRider
05-07-2016, 01:12 PM
How is the maintenance on the FZ1? Do they last and are they as bullet proof as the Gold Wing?
Steve
I never had a problem with mine. I haven't been on the FZ1 forum for a long time, but I remember there were very few post from people having problems with their bikes. Routine maintenance wasn't particularly expensive. Valve adjustments were recommended every 26,000 miles.

I think if I was in the market for an additional bike, I'd wait a year and see if the weird looking FZ-10 makes it to the US market. http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4791&group=MC&catId=79

stevenolts
05-07-2016, 01:30 PM
All new FZ1 looks nice

faz
05-07-2016, 02:38 PM
FZ-1 is an awesome bike, you can easily add Givi bags , owned a 07 and loved it, no problems whatsoever

Necanefan
05-07-2016, 03:13 PM
I had a 2012 Concours prior to the FB. I LOVED that bike! I rode it across the country a couple of times. It is a pure pleasure to ride. Comfortable for touring (a little more spacious than the FJ), but coupled with an amazing engine. The gearbox is the smoothest I've ever ridden. Exceptional power and good handling. There was absolutely no reason for me to trade it other than the itch to do so. I would buy another one without hesitation. 20673

okf6b
05-07-2016, 03:17 PM
I had 2 FZ-1's. A 2001 and a 2003. I kick myself for getting rid of them. As was mentioned, a custom seat (I had a Corbin), a decent windscreen, and some Givi luggage made it a perfect bike. There's an Okie gal that put over 200,000 miles on her FZ-1. She reached that milestone in 2012 after owning the bike for 11 years. I don't know if she is still riding it but she certainly got her money's worth out of that bike.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-woman-hits-200000-miles-on-her-motorcycle/article/3661565

http://fz1grl.net/

unsub
05-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Steve, I'm going to throw a bit of a curve ball out at ya.

Would you consider something in the 400-650cc range like a Yamaha T-MAX or other form of maxi-scooter like a Suzuki Burgman (http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Scooters/Products/Burgman%20650/2016/AN650Z.aspx)?

We can all agree it's gonna be hard to match the grace, power and ride of the B, so why not try a less powerful bike that serves another purpose? The T-MAX for example would economical as hell, great for errands and other short rides where the B or any other bigger block engine would be overkill.

jm21ddd15
05-07-2016, 05:47 PM
I test road the 2014 FJR 1300. Great bike, had most everything I would want on a sport tourer. Also tested the Kawi Concourse. Got the F6 instead. The 2016 FJR, now is a 6 speed, and has many improvements over the 2014. It's a great looking machine. I won't ride one, because I know I would want one. I guess a person can never have too many cycles! Good choice!

stevenolts
05-08-2016, 06:58 AM
The more I think about it I really want something lighter for the twisties and a change now and then. I feel like the FJR1300 being so expensive is too much like the F6B. I really like the look of that FJ-09. It seems like its riding position is much better than the FZ1, bigger tank, and other touring type features. I always loved the demo days with the FZ1 but it was just a little too much pressure leaning over the bars. If the FJ-09 solves that and I think it is supposed to have similar power to the FZ1 but I don't know. I also want to see more about the new FZ1 which I think has the motor based on the current R1 re-tuned for lower end power.

These are all fantasies for now. Hopefully in the next few years when I am ready the new bike (sure I will be) the hype for these will be over and I can get a used one cheaper.
Steve

Typhoon
05-08-2016, 06:10 PM
I love my FZ1 for spirited rides, but I could never get comfortable for those 200+ mile days. The power and speed were addicting, but could not get used to a high revving bike. Seemed wrong to be riding around at 5k plus all the time.

Bought the FB6 and kept the Fz for weekend fun, but found I never road it.
So selling it this summer.

Old Ryder
05-09-2016, 09:41 AM
It is a 06 Harley Street Rod---not a VRod---but a Street Rod. It is a version that is not very popular but is very versitle. I had never heard of it until I started my research and discovered it was what I wanted. They were made it 06 and 07 and are very reasonably priced for what you get. It can be classified as a "Gentleman's Sport bike". It is a bit heavy and firmly planted on the asphalt. The power is more than the standard VRod and it is very close to maintenance free---especially for Harley. Very dependable and red lines at 9K RPM. Mid position controls and pegs give it a bit of a sport tourer feel, but it has the handling and power of a crotch rocket. Add that to the cool VRod looks and I love it. JMHO of course.

stevenolts
05-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Well the reading about the Yamaha FJ-09 got the best of me. I went to the dealer today and they let me test ride one. (I have no intention of buying a new bike or now)

Below are my initial impressions

Sitting on the bike:
The bike is tall for me (5' 8") Tip toes for me. The ergonomics do not feel much better than sitting on the FZ-09 accept it is taller. Handlebars are slightly too far forward / seat not good.

The ride: (They let me go 2 miles down the road and turn around / Yee Haa)
The bike is wind machine / Hard to get past the wind / It pulls amazingly powerful / would wheely with little effort or by accident like my 919 did / power / power / probably handles nice

Summary:
If you could get the windshield figured out so you can think while riding the bike the it would be a very fun curvy road fun 2nd bike. This bike is not as comfortable as I would like for a Sports Tourer. I think the FJR1300 would be much nicer with similar power a lot higher price. I am over the initial lust for this bike. Someday they will make a comfortable bike with this kind of power and handling. I think the closest I have ridden is the Ducati Diavel. Bottom line I am not going to run out and get this bike.

What I learned:
The tripple is a very stong engine with lower and mid power greater than the inline 4 engine. I was told this by the salesman at the dealer. I don't get the opportunity to test the big sport engines very often. But it seemed super powered if you let it open up.
Steve

Random one
05-10-2016, 04:15 PM
I rode a FJ-1200 for about five years and as I got older and stiffer the bike became more and more uncomfortable.
The bike was almost not drive able on the street, too finicky on gear selection and too twitchy on the throttle.
Going fast was not as important as being comfortable.

pilotguy299
05-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Get a Suzuki Burgman.

This way when you get old and weak like me, you'll have something close to the F6B but much lighter...

stevenolts
05-10-2016, 04:54 PM
That was my thoughts exactly!!! Once I got back on the F6B it was like laying down in your mothers arms comfort. (It just felt like home) Maybe not as much power but what I was thinking was it was sophistication with power in control and total comfort. On the highway I was back on my baby with all the power I needed. I don't know until I test it but I don't think the FJ-09 would make me feel safe zipping through traffic at speed on the highway the way the F6B inspires me to do. I kept hearing the Deep Purple song in my head "High Way Star""
Steve

3Chief
05-10-2016, 05:31 PM
I loved the BMW GTL 1600 but the price was to much. I have a Concours, wonderful machine, however we didn't get along...I've learned a lot on this forum and could probably rectify all my issues now. Just not willing to spend the capital to do it, the B is a much better fit for me.

SoCal Rich
05-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Ducati Diavel. Love it!

lgjhn
05-11-2016, 11:42 PM
I just sold a 2014 FJR. I only had 1400 miles on it.
It is one smooth running and powerful machine, but I just could not get comfortable on it no matter what I tried.
I found it to be top heavy for me and on longer runs, the seat was just unbearable. I was about to put an aftermarket seat on it when I bought the F6. The F6 was like a dream come true as far as fitting me is concerned.
I do not miss the FJR.