PDA

View Full Version : engine hesitation stall

RoughRider
08-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Anyone else experience engine hesitation stall when just starting a ride? I've read other post concerning this problem on the 2012 to 2013 Wings. What is the problem? Has Honda come up with a fix? :shock:\

Yeahoo Whoyah
08-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Anyone else experience engine hesitation stall when just starting a ride? I've read other post concerning this problem on the 2012 to 2013 Wings. What is the problem? Has Honda come up with a fix? :shock:\
Yes-Unknown-No

RoughRider
08-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Honda must know what the problem is. Its not rocket science. They just not have acknowledge it yet. They need to as to avoid a class action suit, which lawyers around these parts are famous for. Its a major safety issue.

Scotrod
08-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Do you let the engine warm up to the 'C' mark before you depart?
Do you have NGK spark plugs?

RoughRider
08-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Will let it warm up more to see if that helps and switch to premium fuel. I assumed the plugs I have from the factory are correct, it not, why wasn't I made aware of it? Ive read other so called 'fixes' to the problem. But it ain't my problem. Its Honda's. Will keep you posted.

unsub
08-30-2013, 08:00 AM
I suspect it has something to do with fuel mixing while cold. Letting it warm up a bit is not a bad thing. I let mine warm up for a minute or two and don't have any problems. As technology advances we have to learn new techniques. No one's life or safety is in danger if this machine is properly treated. End-of-story.

chipmaker
08-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Happened twice to me. Both times I jumped on the bike started it up, and tried to ride right off, almost fell over.

Now I start it, put on my gear and ride, has not happened again...

RoughRider
08-30-2013, 09:45 AM
I let it warm up for about 5 min. Took off, no hesitation. Hope that's it. Thanks for everyones response.

bobbyf6b
08-30-2013, 09:48 AM
It's more of a "flat spot" when it's cold. I have it too. If I don't have time to wait for it to warm up to the C then I just shift early til it's warm. It's never happened to me outside of my neighborhood, but it is annoying when I forget and it just won't go for a second. :icon_doh:

4DI2D
08-30-2013, 11:30 AM
This is the first EFI engine I have encountered with a high idle start. I just let it run 'till it's off the high idle and have not experienced the hesitation/stall effect.

edgeman55
08-30-2013, 12:24 PM
This is the first EFI engine I have encountered with a high idle start. I just let it run 'till it's off the high idle and have not experienced the hesitation/stall effect.

I do the same thing and have never had any hesitation problem.I also live up at 5000ft elevation.Wonder if they run rich at nearer to sea level when cold?

Scotrod
08-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Wing forums have noted the issue,, Several different theories. Seem like warming the bike to the C line is (almost) a 'universal fix'

Some object to having to do so as they don't have to do it in their car. I understand. I can also adapt.

Some hit the button and then 'gear up',,, Might be all it takes to avoid the issue.

Some have said the NGK plugs help over the Denso's. Hard to 'prove' anything. (I like Iridiums :icon_twisted: )

Texas TC
08-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I have hesitation with a cold engine on the '13 F6B and I had it on my '12 GL1800 Wing. Letting the engine warm up helps, but it does not completely eliminate the issue. I think Honda knows about it but, for some reason chooses to ignore it. I just ride the cold engine like I did with my old carb equiped Harley's. I keep my hand on the clutch to catch the hesitation before it causes loss of control. A quick burp of the throttle and releasing the clutch keeps me from loosing power and control. I agree a fuel injected engine should not act this way. It does and I know from experience how to deal with it. A simple re-mapping of the ECM would fix the problem if the engineers at Honda would simply spend a little time to program it. I really do not understand why they have gone through two model years without providing a remedy.

fsixb_AZ
08-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Yes, I have the hesitation with a cold engine. No issues when I let it warm up. I'm not worried about it.

xzvs
09-02-2013, 12:52 PM
hmmmm never experienced it -- did notice the high idle tho -- I also just thumb the starter and go

bobbyf6b
09-02-2013, 11:22 PM
hmmmm never experienced it -- did notice the high idle tho -- I also just thumb the starter and go

What RPM is your high idle at on cold start? Maybe mine isn't doing that.

unsub
09-03-2013, 02:02 AM

Mine is 1000rpm at start then drops to around 750.

bobbyf6b
09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Ok, mine is at like 1250 til it warms up then it's at 750.

4DI2D
09-04-2013, 06:04 PM
:banghead:
Let's see . . .cold start, dump clutch, score cylinders, premature lifter wear etc.,

Give it a minute to warm up and circulate the lubricant of your choice. Mobil1 isn't PERFECT!!

:yikes:

Scotrod
09-04-2013, 07:23 PM
FWIW, there are no lifters in a F6B,,,

:icon_biggrin:

4DI2D
09-05-2013, 12:15 PM
OK,OK!
NO lifters. But rocker arms, YES! Cam lobes YES! :banghead: :banghead: :icon_doh:

Scotrod
09-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Uh,,, No rocker arms either,,,

SOHC system, consisting of Cam/bucket/shim(s)/valve.

I've got a pic somewhere,, let me do some diggin,,,

Scotrod
09-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Didn't find the pic I wanted, but,,

Here's a shot of a very similar Honda system;

http://www.google.com/imgres?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&bih=822&biw=1280&tbm=isch&tbnid=5rJOIdPSUXArMM:&imgrefurl=http://www.capitalhondacentre.com/Departments/GL1800-PARTS/GL1800-2001.aspx&docid=WJ6wQEA6kMo5LM&imgurl=http://www.capitalhondacentre.com/Images/products/Block%2525203%252520GL1800%2525202001-2004.jpg&w=811&h=398&ei=xMgoUsqUHMKA2wXksoGQBQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=531&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=266&start=0&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:94&tx=64&ty=81

Here's one of 'a similar SOHC design' ... (Cam removed):

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=102&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&bih=822&biw=1280&tbm=isch&tbnid=Cgwzm8DGpaFd8M:&imgrefurl=http://www.k-jet.org/2013/01/&docid=8D-8nDFpNp9KVM&imgurl=http://www.k-jet.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/DSC_5329.jpg&w=4928&h=3264&ei=oskoUruHJqei2wWWxIHwCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=165&vpy=304&dur=93&hovh=183&hovw=276&tx=132&ty=101&page=4&tbnh=145&tbnw=211&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:100,i:85

Obviously not a Goldwing engine, but still uses 'buckets' / shims.

xzvs
09-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Bobby round 1000-1050

CoCoKola
09-18-2013, 03:15 PM
This happened to me a few times; I am so glad to have found this thread. thanks for the heads up that it is not me.. ;p

JesseS
09-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Interesting.... I have a new one, only 300 miles (2 days old:icon_lol:) but have not noticed any hesitation at all, either cold or warm.

Scotrod
09-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Had mine since Sat 14. No hesitation, but never a 100% cold take-off either.
Do have a bit o slack in the throttle cables. Can be a bit of a jump between idle and throttle due to the slack.

CoCoKola
09-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Even on a hot 95 degree day if I start up, back up, then try to gently (or more aggressively) take off, there is a momentary kick-in of the engine, then it feels like it starts to 'stall' for a good 1/4 to 1/2 second with a loss of power right as you release the clutch / apply load to the engine. Naturally you give it more gas and add clutch, but then the engine kicks back in and you 'snap' back into business in a way you aren't prepared for.

It's not a greatly unpleasant experience, but instead of righting the bike with my added passenger, well, you don't. I've been giving it time to warm up now and it resolved the issue. I noticed it about 300 miles into the bike and at 1100 now after three weeks of ownership it was still doing it.

pblair
09-22-2013, 09:22 PM
I have had mine since 2/18/13 and it has that crazy little engine stall until the engine is HOT. Not warm but HOT. That is the only time the engine does not stall. Honda looks at me like I am a visitor from another planet when I complain.

I have decided to live with it.

MichaelG
09-23-2013, 10:02 AM
I have had mine since 2/18/13 and it has that crazy little engine stall until the engine is HOT. Not warm but HOT. That is the only time the engine does not stall. Honda looks at me like I am a visitor from another planet when I complain.

I have decided to live with it.

Phil, hey...good to hear from you again. I believe that the immediate solution to this problem is...# 1...change the spark plugs to install NGK...and remove those darn ND plugs. # 2...allow the engine to "warm" up for a couple minutes...that is all, and it should NOT stumble or stall again.

timjoebob
10-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Mine hesitates, too. My '05 Wing did not. I'm Honda does a recall/fix, but I'm not holding my breath.

When I go out to the garage, I start the bike first thing, then I put on my gear, put in my ear plugs, put on my helmet, start up my Scala, and hopefully, that's taken long enough to warm things up. I'm treating it as I would my carburated VTX 1300R.

FlyinF
10-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Being a retired aircraft tech and recreational pilot I learned to never do anything until oil temp is in the green............I have taken this to just about every engine in my life (of course with no temp gauge you know what I mean). Back in tech school in the '60's they taught nearly 70% of engine wear happens in the first minutes of engine start. Like others I start the motorcycle get the gear on roll it back out of the garage close the door and then on my way and no stalls for me (here in south Texas its hardly ever cold) ............ I don't know what plugs are in it.

bobbyf6b
10-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I've been doing the same thing but I still get the stall. Happened this morning. :icon_frown:

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Like others I start the motorcycle get the gear on roll it back out of the garage close the door and then on my way and no stalls for me
Ditto. That's the nature of the beast at this point in time. It's not that big of a deal to me.

Scotrod
10-01-2013, 07:31 PM
I've been doing the same thing but I still get the stall. Happened this morning. :icon_frown:

Curious,,, Do you know which plugs you have?

bobbyf6b
10-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Curious,,, Do you know which plugs you have?

No I don't. I've been enjoying riding it and trying not to worry about it. Maybe I should check.

I've been thinking about taking off the left cover to see what the damn ticking is that's driving me crazy. I've been told it's normal, even though every other wing I listen to doesn't have the same noise. Sounds like clicking in the valve train. It's only at cold start up and idle so after I start riding I forget all about it.

Scotrod
10-01-2013, 07:57 PM
If its not bothering ya, it's not a problem. :icon_biggrin:

Honda actually lists 6 different plugs for the F6B, 3 by NGK and 3 by Denso (3 different heat ranges)

So far,, (knock on desk) no hesitation in our bikes, but between em both we only have <2K miles,,, NEED TO CHANGE THAT ASAP!!!! :motorcycle2:

Gumby
10-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Being a retired aircraft tech and recreational pilot I learned to never do anything until oil temp is in the green............I have taken this to just about every engine in my life (of course with no temp gauge you know what I mean). Back in tech school in the '60's they taught nearly 70% of engine wear happens in the first minutes of engine start. Like others I start the motorcycle get the gear on roll it back out of the garage close the door and then on my way and no stalls for me (here in south Texas its hardly ever cold) ............ I don't know what plugs are in it.

Letting an engine warm up at idle until the temp needle is in the green is not recommended by any manufacturer. The engine warms up faster under load. The faster it warms up the better mileage, emissions and performance you have. Modern oil will circulate much faster and, more importantly, the parts stay coated much better than back in the 60s. 50 years ago an engine had noticeable ring wear at 60,000 or less. If you take your F6B motor apart at 300k, I bet you can still see hatch marks on the cylinder walls.

Scotrod
10-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Warm 'em up or full throttle after the button, You bought it, run it any way ya want. :icon_biggrin:
The flat six has a pretty quick 'warm' up time, even at idle. (Honda says reach "C" then ride)
Fire, gear, go. 2EZ.

erazor55
10-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Phil I'm like you. The bike has to be HOT before it runs right. I have to wait 3-4 minutes in 80-90F for it to run right.

FlyinF
10-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Right on.............you bought it do whatever the heck you want, motorcycles are about freedom.

jkelley
10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Same here as many others, cold = stalls. Warm it for two minutes and not noticeable on mine. I was talking to a co-worker that bought one shortly after I did and he said he had no issues. The other day leaving work we swapped and I did not let his warm up and bingo stalling or nose diving as some call it. His serial number is in the 200's and mine is 1300 something. As I said a short two minute warm up and neither bike seems to stall. In my Harley tuning days the fix would be very simple, just enrich the map in cold fueling enrichment and I'm sure it would be similar on the F6B should Honda decide to give the issue a look.

Gumby
10-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Mine will stumble bad if I jump on and ride off, especially when I'm turning out of a parking space and the stumble catches me mid lean. I let it warm up for a minute or two while I gear up in the morning and just know its going to happen if I don't. It'd be nice if they fixed it, but it's worlds better than my carbed Valk.

I do let it warm up while riding, but you keep the revs down until it warms up, just like a car.