PDA

View Full Version : Left cubby push pins problem

stevenolts
05-08-2016, 07:27 AM
I now have a problem with the left cubby push pins.
I installed the Ausie Cruise which made the left cubby very snug. Now I installed the Kuryakyn USB power supply which I connected to the power supply for the cigarette lighter in the cubby. I connected power to the wiring harness for the cigarette lighter not to the cigarette lighter. I made a cut the harness to the cigarette lighter only not the bike wiring. I soldered and used heat shrink tube. (this came out very clean and secure) I brought the wire out through the little gap in the cubby for the headphone harness. The cubby was already very tight / now it can barley be pushed in and the push pins connected properly. I went out to the bike this morning and the push pins were popping out. Luckily I caught this and did not loose any push pins. These push pins are the worst design (very cheap) I have always hated them when doing body work etc...

How would you suggest I fix this / should I expand the hole a little to accommodate the extra wire or find some way to fish the wire up under the handlebars another way?

I really did not want to disassemble the dash to do this. It is working now but the cubby is just too tight to connect the very unsecured push pins.
Steve

Steve 0080
05-08-2016, 07:32 AM
What I did was have a power wire exit the cubby and weave it thru the plastic and have it come out by the end of the handle bars. You may have to extend some wiring and get the "bundle" more up front towards the fairing. I too have a lot of stuff going on under the cubby, just have to move the stuff forward.

lloydmoore1
05-08-2016, 07:34 AM
You can get the same type of pins but they have a Phillips head and actually screw in. I got mine at the Napa auto store about 10 in a bag for 5 bucks.
Should solve your problem. I can post a pic later.

stevenolts
05-08-2016, 08:32 AM
You can get the same type of pins but they have a Phillips head and actually screw in. I got mine at the Napa auto store about 10 in a bag for 5 bucks.
Should solve your problem. I can post a pic later.

I need these ASAP
I knew I could count on the forum to give me a few good options.

Thank you!!!

lloydmoore1
05-08-2016, 12:05 PM

Hornblower
05-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Steve--IF the problem you're experiencing is due to additional wires and connections under the left cubby, I would advise going back under there and re-positioning those wires so they don't interfere with full and easy seating of the cubby. That's better than trying to force the cubby into position. Ask me how I know :yikes:

shortleg0521
05-09-2016, 08:12 AM
I now have a problem with the left cubby push pins.
I installed the Ausie Cruise which made the left cubby very snug. Now I installed the Kuryakyn USB power supply which I connected to the power supply for the cigarette lighter in the cubby. I connected power to the wiring harness for the cigarette lighter not to the cigarette lighter. I made a cut the harness to the cigarette lighter only not the bike wiring. I soldered and used heat shrink tube. (this came out very clean and secure) I brought the wire out through the little gap in the cubby for the headphone harness. The cubby was already very tight / now it can barley be pushed in and the push pins connected properly. I went out to the bike this morning and the push pins were popping out. Luckily I caught this and did not loose any push pins. These push pins are the worst design (very cheap) I have always hated them when doing body work etc...

How would you suggest I fix this / should I expand the hole a little to accommodate the extra wire or find some way to fish the wire up under the handlebars another way?

I really did not want to disassemble the dash to do this. It is working now but the cubby is just too tight to connect the very unsecured push pins.
Steve
When I installed mine, I found that the rear of the power port
stopped the cubby from going on.
I had to move my power port into the cubby to get the rear on the power port
away from the control unit for the cruise control.
ahortleg

stevenolts
05-11-2016, 07:20 AM
I solved the push pin problem by moving the Kuryakyn USB power supply up through a crack under and between the cubby area and the handle bar area. Once there was only the original helmet speaker cable going through the little gap in the cubby the cubby was seating better. I was able to get the original push pins installed. I am still going to pick up a pack of the push pins with screws (they seem like they could be more secure)

Thank you all for your advice!!!
Steve

tater
05-16-2016, 09:56 PM
I had the same problem. additional electronics in the cubby, needed to run wiring out of the top, close tolerance around the cubby door made closing it difficult plus I didn't want to damage wires. Solution: there is a screw that holds the snap mechanism on the door itself. get a small metal washer and basically make a spacer, (it may take 2 small washers depending on how big the wires are). by inserting washers you are creating more space between the snap mechanism and the catch...door closes easier, does not pinch wires, problem solved.