PDA

View Full Version : How water proof are the speakers?

Powerfulone
05-09-2016, 02:44 PM
My bikes going to spend the night outside unfortunately, how well do they keep the water out? It's been a beautiful day now its raining cats and dogs!

wjduke
05-09-2016, 02:59 PM
I rode home 2 weekends ago in a steady rain. One thing I noticed was that the shield and fairing create a vacuum and sucked the water right onto the dash and my lap. The speakers are fine from that and they got very wet.

Patch
05-09-2016, 03:06 PM
The speakers that come with the bike are only semi-weatherproof at best. Honda installed them for use in the bike behind a set of grilles that disperses splashed water decently and the grilles do a good job of keeping moisture away from the cones but I would suggest getting some tape or saran wrap and covering the grilles up if it's going to sit out in a storm. I doubt a night out would hurt but why take chances. I have yet to find any specifications that call out the speakers are IP or NEMA compliant for waterproofing of any kind (ingress, submersion, splash, etc)

Powerfulone
05-09-2016, 04:15 PM
The speakers that come with the bike are only semi-weatherproof at best. Honda installed them for use in the bike behind a set of grilles that disperses splashed water decently and the grilles do a good job of keeping moisture away from the cones but I would suggest getting some tape or saran wrap and covering the grilles up if it's going to sit out in a storm. I doubt a night out would hurt but why take chances. I have yet to find any specifications that call out the speakers are IP or NEMA compliant for waterproofing of any kind (ingress, submersion, splash, etc)

I hope its a rare occasion.

seadog
05-09-2016, 05:25 PM
F6B1911 and I were in a steady rain for most part of a day and my speaker are fine and still play without a whimper. It took me a week to clean the bike up the day was a total disaster. The rain never let up and on the way home the next day I got washed down again for about a 120miles so if they were going to fail from rain mine would have been gone already.

gregj
05-10-2016, 05:42 AM
My 6 is my daily commuter. We have had over 2 weeks of rain, almost every day. Bike sits out in the open during the day at work, and in the garage at night. I listen to tune on my commute, no issues so far. I have noticed the rain tends to form a film over the speaker grates, not sure how much actually gets in.

seadog
05-10-2016, 06:37 AM
I have had leaves blow into the speaker housing so if the leaves can get in from the front I am sure that the rain is getting to them also, I find it hard to believe that Honda would put a non-waterproof set of speaker into a touring bike that is definitely going to be in the rain from time to time.:popcorn:

wjduke
05-10-2016, 07:16 AM
The lower part of each speaker cover has a dirt like residue showing now. I've wiped it and it seems to be on the inside, but when you think of it, I wouldn't see it if it was on the inside. Hope it's not permanent...have to check it out someday.

bob109
05-10-2016, 07:21 AM
My 6 is three years old with 48K on the clock and I've never had any issues with the speakers. For those who would like to add some "peace of mind" and are worried about moisture and the speakers, I would suggest giving a few treatments with CRC Industrial Strength Silicon. Misting it on in several light coats, it dries quickly and will repel any water which comes in contact with the cones. Wouldn't hurt to treat the back sides also:icon_wink:

seadog
05-10-2016, 07:55 AM
The lower part of each speaker cover has a dirt like residue showing now. I've wiped it and it seems to be on the inside, but when you think of it, I wouldn't see it if it was on the inside. Hope it's not permanent...have to check it out someday.

That whole panel pops off cause I had to remove mine to get the leaves out of the speaker housing so you can get to the inside if you really need too.

wjduke
05-10-2016, 08:10 AM
I'll have to try that. I'm good at breaking stuff though. It's ride time now.

shooter
05-10-2016, 08:57 AM
They must be pretty good. Last year I hauled mine in a driving rainstorm for six hours. Didn't hurt anything.

stevenolts
05-10-2016, 03:07 PM
I have the new JBl's and rode 17 hours in on and off rain / bike has sat our at work in the rain a few time / I spray water on them when washing a few times / they still sound good.
Steve

stevenolts
05-10-2016, 03:07 PM
I have the new JBL's and rode 17 hours in on and off rain / bike has sat our at work in the rain a few time / I spray water on them when washing a few times / they still sound good.
Steve

blackmetoc
05-10-2016, 07:23 PM
My 6 is my daily commuter. We have had over 2 weeks of rain, almost every day. Bike sits out in the open during the day at work, and in the garage at night. I listen to tune on my commute, no issues so far. I have noticed the rain tends to form a film over the speaker grates, not sure how much actually gets in.

Same for me Greg. I have had no problems.

Michael_A
05-12-2016, 02:15 PM
I don't know if anything is truly waterproof...
BUT regular speakers have their cones made out of a kind of paper. It's pretty flexible stuff and I'm sure has great acoustic properties but turns to mush if it gets wet. Outdoor speakers ("waterproof", boat speakers, hot tub speakers, etc.) have their cones made from a plastic type film instead of the paper and thus don't turn to mush when wet. I'm sure the audio quality is slightly diminished because the plastic cones are stiffer, but I don't think one can really tell the difference by hearing them. The speakers in the Goldwing are indeed outdoor type. They shouldn't be harmed by rain, washing down, moisture, etc. for the life of the bike. They aren't underwater speakers, so submergence pressure (or being shot at full on with a pressure washer) will probably ruin them, but then the whole bike will likely be toast anyway! They are certainly "fit for purpose" and rain isn't going to mess with them.

stevenolts
05-12-2016, 02:41 PM
My JBL speakers went through a few hours of rain yesterday in St Louis with had to be 8" of rain in a few hours. They sounded great on the way home from work last night and on the way in to work this morning.
Steve

Chas
05-15-2016, 07:05 PM
I have J&M's heavier duty speakers and they have been wet many times and work just great. I really think the mention on the holes in the grill is most likely the biggest deterrent if you don't do anything more. Just my one cents worth!:agree: