PDA

View Full Version : Riding through Atlanta - how is it

stepbill
05-10-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm planning my route for the Russellville trip (can't believe that I waited this long) and am trying to decide to either go north through Asheville and Knoxville or to go south through Atlanta and Birmingham. The south route is 30 minutes shorter of a ride but I know the Asheville is a beautiful trip. What do you all think? I have never been to Atlanta or through it. Just hope that I'm not too late in planning this trip......

willtill
05-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Hotlanta? :shhh:

Take the scenic route :icon_wink:

GaTeach
05-10-2016, 03:44 PM
The scenic route doesn't have my mama's pecan pie :)

I probably would ride the mountains if I had that option. But don't let ATL daunt you. I love riding through downtown. I'm always in awe. I mean, yeah, there are a million people on cell phones actively trying to kill me...but it's cool. I'm a country girl, so put me in the big city and I'm always wonderstruck.

blackmetoc
05-10-2016, 05:09 PM
I've ridden and driven through Atlanta. The traffic is usually quite busy, and if it is hot, it will be even less enjoyable.

seadog
05-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Its a train wreck, and if you hit it at rush hour it a train wreck with a 50 car crash! Take the scenic route.

willtill
05-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Simple answer here,

Get Teach to run some of that pecan pie to you up in the northern reaches, then you can have "scenic" and "pie". :icon_mrgreen:

Save me a piece. :icon_cool:

GaTeach
05-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Its a train wreck, and if you hit it at rush hour it a train wreck with a 50 car crash! Take the scenic route.

I'm not feelin the love....

stepbill
05-10-2016, 07:43 PM

:yikes:

seadog
05-10-2016, 08:05 PM

I just call them like I see them Teach! Didn't mean to step on your love of dicing it up with the Cagers!

Felloverboard
05-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Wikipedia.......
It is eight to 12 lanes wide, with the northern part from I-75 to Georgia 400 to I-85 the most heavily traveled. One segment of the highway near Spaghetti Junction (a large, flyover highway interchange northeast of Atlanta) with Interstate 85 widens to 18 lanes, including collector-distributor lanes. Exits are numbered clockwise, starting at the southwestern-most point at I-85, and ending just east of there where it meets I-85 again near Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

Steve 0080
05-11-2016, 06:44 AM
Wikipedia.......
It is eight to 12 lanes wide, with the northern part from I-75 to Georgia 400 to I-85 the most heavily traveled. One segment of the highway near Spaghetti Junction (a large, flyover highway interchange northeast of Atlanta) with Interstate 85 widens to 18 lanes, including collector-distributor lanes. Exits are numbered clockwise, starting at the southwestern-most point at I-85, and ending just east of there where it meets I-85 again near Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

YUP!!!!!! If you hit is between breakfast,lunch or dinner you should be OK. Bring your A game and ride aggressive to make it thru!!!

Spanky
05-11-2016, 07:05 AM
beware, the HOV lane is no longer. ATL has opted to make that a toll lane. So no left lane bandits for me, but I've ran ATL many times, it's not bad, good news, if everyone else is cruising at 90, you'll get through in no time. btw, do not take the loop around, it takes you way out and returns, adding 20 miles to your trip. Run right through downtown, between 10AM and 3 you'll be fine.

stepbill
05-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the advise and have decided to go through the mountains. Looking foreword to the trip!

Penguin
05-11-2016, 09:34 AM
beware, the HOV lane is no longer. ATL has opted to make that a toll lane. So no left lane bandits for me, but I've ran ATL many times, it's not bad, good news, if everyone else is cruising at 90, you'll get through in no time. btw, do not take the loop around, it takes you way out and returns, adding 20 miles to your trip. Run right through downtown, between 10AM and 3 you'll be fine.

Just went thru Atlanta on Saturday and the HOV lane was unchanged. Did not see any indication of a toll lane. :shrug:

GaTeach
05-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Just went thru Atlanta on Saturday and the HOV lane was unchanged. Did not see any indication of a toll lane. :shrug:

North Gwinnett has a HOT lane and I think there's one over in Cobb somewhere. But the HOV lanes are the same through ATL

Felloverboard
05-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Wikipedia.......

The northern portion of I-285, east of the "Cobb Cloverleaf" (I-75 junction) to "Spaghetti Junction" (I-85 junction), is frequently referred to as the Top End Perimeter. This section, which includes an interchange with Georgia 400 at exit 27 (frequently cited as the most dangerous intersections in Atlanta), is one of the busiest freeways in the United States, handling about 250,000 cars per day and crossing through three counties. Through that stretch, the freeway expands from six or eight lanes to between ten and fourteen lanes.

The last time I traveled through Atlanta from TN to Fl it was like a river of cars many lanes wide that kept a steady flow at about 60mph. I stayed on I-75 through downtown. That was mid afternoon before rush hour.

Greg O
05-11-2016, 10:40 AM
I am in Clearwater Florida now on vacation in the cage. I went through Atlanta at 730 pm and took nearly 2 hours, I also heard the bypass is just as bad. Only time to go through Atlanta is 3am then there's no traffic. And I though Going into Chicago was bad, there is no comparison.

53driver
05-11-2016, 10:52 AM
I'm planning my route for the Russellville trip (can't believe that I waited this long) and am trying to decide to either go north through Asheville and Knoxville or to go south through Atlanta and Birmingham. The south route is 30 minutes shorter of a ride but I know the Asheville is a beautiful trip. What do you all think? I have never been to Atlanta or through it. Just hope that I'm not too late in planning this trip......

ATL is home to at least one major college and a a few large high schools that always seem to have an event when I go through, causing backups and snarls, not to mention some overheated drivers who get to the point that they really just don't care about anyone else on the road.

My recommendation and personal course of action is to ALWAYS go way around ATL.
Standing on the 85 freeway, listening to my cooling fans kick on and off, is not my idea of fun.

GaTeach
05-11-2016, 11:06 AM
ATL is home to at least one major college and a a few large high schools that always seem to have an event when I go through, causing backups and snarls, not to mention some overheated drivers who get to the point that they really just don't care about anyone else on the road.

My recommendation and personal course of action is to ALWAYS go way around ATL.
Standing on the 85 freeway, listening to my cooling fans kick on and off, is not my idea of fun.

Ok, 53, you know you are my boo and all, but there are emergency lanes and medians. No need whatsoever to be sitting still on the big road.

Penguin
05-11-2016, 11:51 AM
I am in Clearwater Florida now on vacation in the cage. I went through Atlanta at 730 pm and took nearly 2 hours, I also heard the bypass is just as bad. Only time to go through Atlanta is 3am then there's no traffic. And I though Going into Chicago was bad, there is no comparison.

:agree:

53driver
05-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Ok, 53, you know you are my boo and all, but there are emergency lanes and medians. No need whatsoever to be sitting still on the big road.

My dear fair lass, I have this strange issue with actually following the rules of the road. That's why my GoPro footage is not incriminating nor damning.

seadog
05-11-2016, 08:17 PM
North Gwinnett has a HOT lane and I think there's one over in Cobb somewhere. But the HOV lanes are the same through ATL

Teach! What in the heck is a HOT lane? I know the HOV lanes but never heard that term!

shooter
05-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Dog I think she makes this shyt up as she goes along..........or she's drinkin.

GaTeach
05-12-2016, 05:05 AM
Lol

HIGH OCCUPANCY TOLL (HOT)

GaTeach
05-12-2016, 05:06 AM
My dear fair lass, I have this strange issue with actually following the rules of the road. That's why my GoPro footage is not incriminating nor damning.

And that's why I don't own a GoPro. :))))))

I've ridden with you; I'm thinking you share some DNA with Dudley DoRight.

(Hmm. Or maybe you share DNA with the Devils Disciples. Not sure)

seadog
05-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Lol

Does that mean you have to have at least 10 people in a Yugo to use it?

shooter
05-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Dudley Do Right. ROTFLMAO. Teach now you've made my day. 53 the shyt is getting deep. Come back. I can't hold her off by myself. Duke is scared of her. The Dog infuriates her and I'm running out of smooth talk. Its going south fast. I can't believe she called 53 Dudley fricken Do Right. Can't stop laughing. Dudley Do Right. Can we call him Dud for short?? She's killing me.

53driver
05-12-2016, 02:39 PM
And that's why I don't own a GoPro. :))))))

I've ridden with you; I'm thinking you share some DNA with Dudley DoRight.

(Hmm. Or maybe you share DNA with the Devils Disciples. Not sure)

In the eyes of the law, I'm perfect - label it however you'd like. :icon_mrgreen:

I don't have sad eyes, "insta-tears" or excessive cleavage to keep patrolmen (and a few patrolwomen) from writing me a ticket.
However, if ever you want to play who can break more laws faster, I'm more than ready to kick your sweet lil' southern tush from Alabama to the Mason-Dixon Line! :yikes:

But if this means I don't get anymore pecan pie, I'll have to re-think it...

willtill
05-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Lol

High occupancy toll? That sounds a little punitive. :shock: Normally commuters with high occupancy are rewarded with HOV lanes.

Or is it the case where HOT vehicles pay a diminished toll, compared to non-HOT vehicles?

blueverclear
05-12-2016, 06:50 PM
I think i'd make it a point to do some of the scenic highways through the smoky mountains and i'd probably do anything to come into contact with teach and her pie! LMAO i mean here mommas pecan pie!!! :icon_biggrin:

On a side note, i've taken the loop through atlanta several times through atlanta several times and although its hectic never had a problem getting though it in a decent time frame i guess because there are so many lanes.

stan0614
05-12-2016, 09:32 PM

For Atlanta - North/South I-175 I-85 have a HOV lane - Motorcycles can ride in them.
On I-85 north of Atlanta and soon to be I-75 South of Atlanta - there is a Toll Road. You do not stop to pay a toll it’s automatic via a RFID chip I think. These are called peach pass lanes. For motorcycles - call the people at peachpass
http://www.peachpass.com Get a FREE Pass - Motorcycles DO NOT pay the toll. Main: 1-855-PCH-PASS (724-7277) Takes less than a week to get the pass. Just put it in your saddle bags.
Florida Sunpass and the North Carolina one is recognized too - not sure if you would get charged on your sunpass so get the Free GA Motorcycle peach pass.
If you do not register for free - you will get fined if you are in the toll lane.

Especially on the weekend - riding in the peach pass lane is like having your own lane on the interstate. Easiest way to take a group of bikes through downtown Atlanta on the weekend.

GaTeach
05-13-2016, 09:16 PM
Dudley Do Right. ROTFLMAO. Teach now you've made my day. 53 the shyt is getting deep. Come back. I can't hold her off by myself. Duke is scared of her. The Dog infuriates her and I'm running out of smooth talk. Its going south fast. I can't believe she called 53 Dudley fricken Do Right. Can't stop laughing. Dudley Do Right. Can we call him Dud for short?? She's killing me.

This made me belly laugh.

GaTeach
05-13-2016, 09:17 PM
In the eyes of the law, I'm perfect - label it however you'd like. :icon_mrgreen:

I don't have sad eyes, "insta-tears" or excessive cleavage to keep patrolmen (and a few patrolwomen) from writing me a ticket.
However, if ever you want to play who can break more laws faster, I'm more than ready to kick your sweet lil' southern tush from Alabama to the Mason-Dixon Line! :yikes:

But if this means I don't get anymore pecan pie, I'll have to re-think it...

I won't cut off your pie. :)

GaTeach
05-13-2016, 09:18 PM
I think i'd make it a point to do some of the scenic highways through the smoky mountains and i'd probably do anything to come into contact with teach and her pie! LMAO i mean here mommas pecan pie!!! :icon_biggrin:

On a side note, i've taken the loop through atlanta several times through atlanta several times and although its hectic never had a problem getting though it in a decent time frame i guess because there are so many lanes.

You probably don't need a go pro on your bike either. I'll bet the two of us could get right on around the perimeter.

Phantom
05-13-2016, 09:21 PM
I won't cut off your pie. :)

I love the dirty talk on this forum :biggthumpup:

blueverclear
05-14-2016, 08:19 PM
You probably don't need a go pro on your bike either. I'll bet the two of us could get right on around the perimeter.

lol it would be a wild ride babe, and definitely don't need any photo or video evidence! :icon_biggrin::icon_wink: lmao

53driver
05-14-2016, 08:32 PM

lol it would be a wild ride babe, and definitely don't need any photo or video evidence! :icon_biggrin::icon_wink: lmao

But the pie diameter is only 12 inches - how much trouble could that lead to?