PDA

View Full Version : Seats

stevenolts
05-11-2016, 07:37 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk about seats. I was interested if someone who has had multiple seats could give me a summary of their experiences. (I think this would help everyone out)

Seat (brand & model) / cost / how comfortable / how high from stock / how narrow the front is (helps with short guys) / how far forward or back from stock / comments.

I made the mistake of sitting on a new 2016 F6B in the showroom yesterday and now I am second guessing my Mustang Day tripper seat. The stock seat felt softer / it is such a hassle to switch the seat back to the original seat to test. I thought I loved the Mustang because it put me lower and I liked the pocket with built in back rest. After seeing the continuous post about other seats I am beginning to doubt if I have the best seat for me. I don't know if I just need the Helibars to put me a little further back or what I need. The current setup I have on my F6B is the best I have ever had on any bike but there is always room for improvement.

I am 5' 8" tall with a 29" inseam (this could affect my getting a taller seat)

I resisted raising the bike up with the pre-load but that was no problem.

This obsession of mine (F6B new parts) is getting the best of me. I am addicted and I may need an intervention!!! But who cares I am getting old and don't have long to live so it is time to enjoy what I can in this life. I can't take it with me and I don't want to regret not doing things the way I wanted to later.
Steve

wjduke
05-11-2016, 07:44 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk about seats. I was interested if someone who has had multiple seats could give me a summary of their experiences. (I think this would help everyone out)

Seat (brand & model) / cost / how comfortable / how high from stock / how narrow the front is (helps with short guys) / how far forward or back from stock / comments.

I made the mistake of sitting on a new 2016 F6B in the showroom yesterday and now I am second guessing my Mustang Day tripper seat. The stock seat felt softer / it is such a hassle to switch the seat back to the original seat to test. I thought I loved the Mustang because it put me lower and I liked the pocket with built in back rest. After seeing the continuous post about other seats I am beginning to doubt if I have the best seat for me. I don't know if I just need the Helibars to put me a little further back or what I need. The current setup I have on my F6B is the best I have ever had on any bike but there is always room for improvement.

This obsession of mine (F6B new parts) is getting the best of me. I am addicted and I may need an intervention!!! But who cares I am getting old and don't have long to live so it is time to enjoy what I can in this life. I can't take it with me and I don't want to regret not doing things the way I wanted to later.
Steve
You're preaching to the choir Steven....don't have to make excuses here! :icon_biggrin:

shooter
05-11-2016, 07:52 AM
ROTFLMAO !!!!! Says Mr. No Mods.

wjduke
05-11-2016, 08:02 AM
ROTFLMAO !!!!! Says Mr. No Mods.

That's why I said that! This bitchin bike has me by the tomatoes

DMAGOLDRDR
05-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Steve

I started out with the F6B new so obviously had the stock seat. Coming off my Valkyrie and having put over 100,000 miles on it with a backrest I really was missing a backrest. Soo I bought and installed a Utopia Backrest. I felt when sitting the way I wanted, the stock seat was not putting me where I wanted. So it is for sale in the Classifieds.....Next came the Mustang seat!! A Nice seat, comfy and a good position but NO backrest available and the hump they build into it is fine for some but I need support up higher. On my way to Daytona from CT that year I was good for about 100 miles before my back started bothering me so I found if I moved my travel bag forward and used it as a backrest I was good to go every 200 miles for fuel stops.
So while in Daytona I ride over to Ultimate and had an Ultimate with a backrest put on.. Later that day I was back to return it. Too soft and it sat me too high. I figure the Mustang will work for me as I like the seat and can go 100 miles before it bothers me. When I travel I will mount my bag as a backrest and my problem is solved. Well, not so fast... never being satisfied I decided to try a Corbin. The Corbin sits me pretty close to the way I was on the Mustang and I now have a backrest. It has only been a week with the Corbin and I have not put more than a few hundred miles on it so time will tell.

So as of today,
the Stock seat with Utopia Backrest is for sale
and the Mustang seat is for sale

I hope this helps...

stevenolts
05-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Does the Corbin sit you higher / lower - forward / back - how is the nose narrower / wider?
Thank you for your input.
Steve

shooter
05-11-2016, 09:41 AM
That's why I said that! This bitchin bike has me by the tomatoes

Phantom told me that if your list gets any longer he's gonna start charging you for space.

Old Ryder
05-11-2016, 10:59 AM
The stock seat had me jammed way to close to the tank and that was really the only problem I had with it. So I tried the Mustang. It moved me back, but also lower which was almost as bad. The Ultimate King Rider moved me both back and higher---but then I needed Helibars mounted on risers to get the bars back to me.

Yep--- 3 seats and 2 sets of risers and Kury ERGO pegs and mini boards to get this thing to fit me.

DMAGOLDRDR
05-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Does the Corbin sit you higher / lower - forward / back - how is the nose narrower / wider?
Steve

Seating position is close between the Corbin and Mustang. A bit lower and back, but the front of the Corbin feels wider when you go to put your feet down. Not an issue for me. 5"11" 34" inseam.

DMAGOLDRDR
05-11-2016, 11:32 AM
things added to the F6B
Fog Lights
Center Stand
Handlebar Risers
OEM Luggage Rack
Baker Wings under Mirrors
XM radio mounted in left cubby
Accy Socket in left cubby
Tall Honda Windshield----- then Clearview w Vent----- then changed again to 11" Madstad
Also have two Goldwing shields drilled to fit.
Go Cruise throttle Lock
Utopia Drivers Backrest in Stock seat---then changed to a Mustang
LEDs mounted in the Mirrors for side signal lights
Kury rear fender LED Lights
Hyperlites LED Brake lights
Kury Ergo Pegs (Black)
RAM Mounts for GPS, cup holder and ez-pass
Keys mounted to Knobs for Cubby and Saddlebag Lock
Passenger Backrest -- but removed and sitting in garage for future use
Kuryakyn LED Battery monitor
LED white lights inside the saddle Bags
Flat Black painted passenger pegs
Gerbing Heated Gear controllers
Mustang Seat then changed to a Corbin w/backrest
Kickstand wedge for better lean angle
Dark side ECSTA car tire
HONDA OEM Heated Grips
Corbin seat

oh.. and 18,000 miles
The F6B is getting close to being as comfortable as my Valk was..

Old Ryder
05-11-2016, 12:42 PM
things added to the F6B
Fog Lights
Center Stand
Handlebar Risers
OEM Luggage Rack
Baker Wings under Mirrors
XM radio mounted in left cubby
Accy Socket in left cubby
Tall Honda Windshield----- then Clearview w Vent----- then changed again to 11" Madstad
Also have two Goldwing shields drilled to fit.
Go Cruise throttle Lock
Utopia Drivers Backrest in Stock seat---then changed to a Mustang
LEDs mounted in the Mirrors for side signal lights
Kury rear fender LED Lights
Hyperlites LED Brake lights
Kury Ergo Pegs (Black)
RAM Mounts for GPS, cup holder and ez-pass
Keys mounted to Knobs for Cubby and Saddlebag Lock
Passenger Backrest -- but removed and sitting in garage for future use
Kuryakyn LED Battery monitor
LED white lights inside the saddle Bags
Flat Black painted passenger pegs
Gerbing Heated Gear controllers
Mustang Seat then changed to a Corbin w/backrest
Kickstand wedge for better lean angle
Dark side ECSTA car tire
HONDA OEM Heated Grips
Corbin seat

oh.. and 18,000 miles
The F6B is getting close to being as comfortable as my Valk was..

And by looking at your avatar, it is comfortable enough to double as a decent bed. :lolup:

vmaxed
05-11-2016, 02:15 PM
I had a Corbin (to wide in the front and hard for me 29" inseam) I didn't like the Mustang Seat then changed back to the stock :icon_doh:
I have a Corbin on my Wing and love it:duck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/2015%20Honda%20F6BD/2015-05-05%2015.31.11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/2014%20Honda%20Gold%20Wing/2015-10-27%2012.45.35.jpg

imscots
05-11-2016, 03:12 PM

Steve

I have had my F6B for a few months now, and finally got the chance to take a nice run out along the coast through Malibu to Santa Barbara and home again, a run of 260miles and my stock seat was perfect, no butt pain at all that I have found in other bikes I have owned. My last bike was a 1300 VTX and the stock seat was crap, so I replaced it with an new Ultimate seat with backrest that was great, but I have found I do not need to waste money on a new seat with this bike. it is wide and comfortable and I am 5' 11" and 300+, so a big guy.

DMAGOLDRDR
05-11-2016, 04:57 PM
And by looking at your avatar, it is comfortable enough to double as a decent bed. :lolup:

It WAS until I put the Corbin on with the backrest. That kind of gets in my way now :) :)

opas ride
05-11-2016, 05:01 PM
I had no real issues with the stock seat on my 2013, but being short of inseam I decided to go with the Mustang seat..No issues at all and so far so good..5'8 1/2" inches at 195 lbs with the Baggeshield adjusted to the top and I am a happy camper...Ride safe

seadog
05-11-2016, 05:12 PM
I got the seat back from them and put it on the bike and it sat pretty much the same spot maybe an 1/2 inch back from stock. This was the only aftermarket seat I ever had that was comfortable right from the day I installed it. Big Larry got me interested in Russell Day Long custom seats and I thought how could a builder of custom seats make me one 2000 miles away but I took the plunge and with all the information they requested before they would build it it was the best seat I have ever had. I didn't get nuts on ordering, Just leather sides and a very good quality vinyl top, no back rest and I paid $640 for their fine work and that included shipping back to me. Very please with that companies effort to turn out a custom piece.

LeroyJaxson
05-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Steve

I have the Corbin seat and it sits about the same height but put you back about an inch and a half. I am 6 foot and the seat is wide like the stock seat but I feel I can touch the ground better. This is one of the most comfortable seats I have ever owned. It is firm but once broken in I can ride all day with no issues.

BobR
05-11-2016, 07:56 PM
I have the Corbin seat and it sits about the same height but put you back about an inch and a half. I am 6 foot and the seat is wide like the stock seat but I feel I can touch the ground better. This is one of the most comfortable seats I have ever owned. It is firm but once broken in I can ride all day with no issues.
+1 on what he said. I put 13K on mine in the last 10 months and love my Corbin.

zeus661
05-12-2016, 05:57 AM
I bought a pad and strapped it on my original seat. A lot cheaper.

Slammd
05-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Not to derail this thread but can anyone having experience with the stock seat/utopia backrest combo answer this question. Does the Utopia backrest have the ability to fold forward in such a way to lay just forward of the stock seat's "backrest" (the rear hump), ultimately providing a more forward riding position? Somewhere I saw a photo of what appeared to be such a scenario. If anyone understands what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate any comments on your experience with this. Thanks

stevenolts
05-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Does the Russel Day Long seat sit higher?S
Steve

DMAGOLDRDR
05-12-2016, 06:32 AM
Not to derail this thread but can anyone having experience with the stock seat/utopia backrest combo answer this question. Does the Utopia backrest have the ability to fold forward in such a way to lay just forward of the stock seat's "backrest" (the rear hump), ultimately providing a more forward riding position? Somewhere I saw a photo of what appeared to be such a scenario. If anyone understands what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate any comments on your experience with this. Thanks

If I understand the question, look at my pictures of my seat and you can see the pivot point at the base of the backrest where it comes out of the seat. It will pivot forward there and is adjustable fore and aft. Also the backrest portion also pivots, so the backrest can be adjusted to push you very far forward if you choose.
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7531-Stock-seat-w-Utopia-backrest-Passenger-Backrest-and-Tall-Windshield

Sorcerer
05-12-2016, 08:39 AM
I have short arms. With the stock seat with the Utopia back rest I had to tilt the bracket way forward in order to rest against it. The proboms I incountered were (1) on bumpy roads the backrest would push into my back, not good. Think kidney punch.(2) Being that the bracket at that angle the pad would want to rotate down when your back was not against it. If for any reason I move off the backrest , big bump, standing up I now had the edge of the pad stabbing into my back. I added a 1 1/4" spacer to the bracket. 1 1/2" would have been better. The pouch covers up the ugly.

Fla_rider
05-12-2016, 08:56 AM
At 5'7" with 29" inseam I have always liked the stock seat. I can move in close when its raining or just place my bottom where the rise is. All the other seats seem to hold riders in an "ass cup".

Slammd
05-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Does the Russel Day Long seat sit higher?S
Steve

Steve - The RDL seat sits, as I am told by them, almost 2" higher. I was seriously considering one of their seats but with their design, there's no way to get around the increased height which puts it out of the running for me. Even their website (I believe it's under "warranty") disclaims a return based on seat height issues

DMAGOLDRDR
05-12-2016, 11:42 AM
I have short arms. With the stock seat with the Utopia back rest I had to tilt the bracket way forward in order to rest against it. The proboms I incountered were (1) on bumpy roads the backrest would push into my back, not good. Think kidney punch.(2) Being that the bracket at that angle the pad would want to rotate down when your back was not against it. If for any reason I move off the backrest , big bump, standing up I now had the edge of the pad stabbing into my back. I added a 1 1/4" spacer to the bracket. 1 1/2" would have been better. The pouch covers up the ugly.

I know what you mean about the "kidney punch" You could tightened up the bolts so the top of the backrest could not pivot on you when you sat forward. BUT I found for myself, that when that was happening to me I needed to adjust the backrest farther back and actually keep my back against the backrest. I found that to be true also with the Corbin. But that is just me and we probably don't sit in the same slouched position.

My backrest adjusting procedure as explained to me from a sales rep years ago is to start out with the backrest way back and go for a ride for at least 15 minutes to get my body settled into position. Then as I ride, I will pull over and adjust the backrest forward in small increments and ride for another 10 minutes or so for a test.
The sales rep said many folks start out with the backrest too far forward.

Maybe this can help you as well...

Richie
05-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Has anyone ever used a Hartco seat? If so what did you like or dislike about it?
Richie

Old Ryder
05-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Has anyone ever used a Hartco seat? If so what did you like or dislike about it?
Richie

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8342-FIRST-Hartco-Seat-for-an-F6B!&highlight=hartco

Richie
05-12-2016, 10:29 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8342-FIRST-Hartco-Seat-for-an-F6B!&highlight=hartco

Thank you

Richie