PDA

View Full Version : Ever run out of gas?

BadDawg
05-12-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm sure it has happened but is anyone willing to own up to it? If you ran it bone dry did the FI prime reasonably quick or did it take some work? I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on it if it's not a nightmare. I'm just doing some experiments with the pony tank.

Old Ryder
05-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Not on the B, but in the early 80s I bought a CB350 that had set up and the reserve side of the petcock was clogged. It was a hot Sunday afternoon and the wife was on the back (We were both a lot lighter back then). Before the days of cell phones of course. A rider and his family in his cage stopped and went and bought me a gallon.

Also on my 06 Road King back around 2009 trying to stretch it too far. I was about a mile from the station and a mile from home. Called my son that time.

soooo embarrassing.

But no--not on the B.

BadDawg
05-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Not on the B, but in the early 80s I bought a CB350 that had set up and the reserve side of the petcock was clogged. It was a hot Sunday afternoon and the wife was on the back (We were both a lot lighter back then). Before the days of cell phones of course. A rider and his family in his cage stopped and went and bought me a gallon.

Also on my 06 Road King back around 2009 trying to stretch it too far. I was about a mile from the station and a mile from home. Called my son that time.

soooo embarrassing.

But no--not on the B.

I use to live 2 miles from work. I ran my Sabre out more times than I could count thinking I could make one more trip.

jm21ddd15
05-12-2016, 05:27 PM
May not be a good idea to run the tank dry. Not sure electronic fuel pumps like that situation. You may have some risk of burning up the pump. Do you really want to do this on purpose? Just wondering.

willtill
05-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Never have run out of gas in any vehicle (of personal conveyance). Ever.

Have run out of gas with my weed whacker though.

unsub
05-12-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm sure it has happened but is anyone willing to own up to it? If you ran it bone dry did the FI prime reasonably quick or did it take some work? I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on it if it's not a nightmare. I'm just doing some experiments with the pony tank.

No, not ever. BUT...years ago I ran on fumes and a prayer once that got me to fuel......just. Back in the day I could see it happening (like my old VW without a fuel gage) but no excuses would fly in today's automotive world with technology and an abundance of fuel stops in the civilized world.

You should be OK with your experiment. Why not shut it down just as you begin to feel the surges in fuel supply? That way you'll have a bit still in the supply line. That'll be close enough for your experiment.

BadDawg
05-12-2016, 07:56 PM
May not be a good idea to run the tank dry. Not sure electronic fuel pumps like that situation. You may have some risk of burning up the pump. Do you really want to do this on purpose? Just wondering.

Well I thought the fuel pump was submerged. Which would make it prime pretty quick but I could also be wrong about that. I was more worried about fuel lines needing to be bleed if they sucked air. My VTX had the pump in the tank. From the time it first sputtered until I could flip the switch on the pony tank and it fired was 5-7 sec. Hoping for the same results on the B. But wanted to see if anyone had been down that road yet.

zeus661
05-13-2016, 04:51 AM
Never have run out of gas in any vehicle (of personal conveyance). Ever.

Have run out of gas with my weed whacker though.

Same with me. Add the lawn mower every now and then.

wjduke
05-13-2016, 05:08 AM
I've been told many times that I don't have a sense of adventure. Not totally true, but when the needle gets to a 1/8 tank, I start getting the heebie jeebies.

shooter
05-13-2016, 06:37 AM
That's a little late for me. Gas stations can be 30 - 40 miles apart easy on some of my riding trips.

wjduke
05-13-2016, 06:47 AM
That's a little late for me. Gas stations can be 30 - 40 miles apart easy on some of my riding trips.

Ya, I forget what it's like to live in no man's land...not since my AF days. Even at 1/4, I have close to 2 gallons left.

GaTeach
05-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Lol. Once or twice.

And the last time I ran out of gas??? I'd do it again in a heart beat. Worth every step back to the house. Smiling the whole way. :)

lurking luddite
05-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Pump primes right, no problem. I always have to run out at least once.

BadDawg
05-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Pump primes right, no problem. I always have to run out at least once.

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to do it anyhow. Nice to from someone who's done it.

BIGLRY
05-15-2016, 03:18 PM
The 50 psi in tank fuel pump on the F6B will prime the system almost instantly when run dry, also the pump does not run continuously when the engine is turning over to start to prevent flooding of the system, it primes the fuel injectors with the 50 psi for a few seconds when key is turned on and the handlebar "stop/run" switch is in the "on" position then shuts down only to restart upon engine start up. You can trick it by turning the key on and off and the handlebar "stop/run" the switch is in the "on" position, you then get several shots of fuel into the system(I have never found this needed when running out of fuel, but it can be done).
The fuel pump only runs continuously when the bikes computer (ECU) detect a running engine by a signal from the crank sensor or cam pulse generator...I forget right now which one(CRS), but you don't have to worry about the submerged fuel pump burning up when the bike is out of fuel and engine is not running since it only cycles on/off with the key as all EFI Hondas do. :301:

Steve 0080
05-15-2016, 03:24 PM
I almost did this morning @ 4:00.... Could not find a station on my route...finally !!! 6.125 gal.

BIGLRY
05-15-2016, 03:33 PM
I almost did this morning @ 4:00.... Could not find a station on my route...finally !!! 6.125 gal.
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/62025476.jpg

BadDawg
05-15-2016, 05:07 PM
The 50 psi in tank fuel pump on the F6B will prime the system almost instantly when run dry, also the pump does not run continuously when the engine is turning over to start to prevent flooding of the system, it primes the fuel injectors with the 50 psi for a few seconds when key is turned on and the handlebar "stop/run" switch is in the "on" position then shuts down only to restart upon engine start up. You can trick it by turning the key on and off and the handlebar "stop/run" the switch is in the "on" position, you then get several shots of fuel into the system(I have never found this needed when running out of fuel, but it can be done).
The fuel pump only runs continuously when the bikes computer (ECU) detect a running engine by a signal from the crank sensor or cam pulse generator...I forget right now which one(CRS), but you don't have to worry about the submerged fuel pump burning up when the bike is out of fuel and engine is not running since it only cycles on/off with the key as all EFI Hondas do. :301:

Now that is a reply. Thanks for the detail!

blueverclear
05-15-2016, 10:34 PM
Lol. Once or twice.

And the last time I ran out of gas??? I'd do it again in a heart beat. Worth every step back to the house. Smiling the whole way. :)

:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

Girl..... you are truly special lol

53driver
05-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Lol. Once or twice.

:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

Girl..... you are truly special lol

She is a piece of work, ain't she?
Proud to have made her acquaintance and friendship on these hallowed pages.

GaTeach
05-16-2016, 03:38 PM
She is a piece of work, ain't she?
Proud to have made her acquaintance and friendship on these hallowed pages.

Lol. You're just jockeying for your very own pie now!!!

53driver
05-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Lol. You're just jockeying for your very own pie now!!!

I liked the pecan pie!

Thread hijack over....back to running out of gas.