PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with the 12v cubby socket?

Audiochris90
05-12-2016, 06:35 PM
The hondaline 12 v acc socket for the B is 70 bucks. Its it special? Does the show chrome item work also? Anybody know the difference?

Davidk
05-12-2016, 06:41 PM
The hondaline 12 v acc socket for the B is 70 bucks. Its it special? Does the show chrome item work also? Anybody know the difference?

The difference is about $50

yellow rex
05-12-2016, 07:02 PM
This has been talk about before the one for a regular wing is the same for 34.99 just a different part #.
Check it out and look at the pic of each one.

pilotguy299
05-12-2016, 07:40 PM
http://store.valueaccessories.net/AccessorySocketHondaGL1800.aspx

$11 from a site sponsor...

Spiff215
05-12-2016, 08:24 PM
http://store.valueaccessories.net/AccessorySocketHondaGL1800.aspx

$11 from a site sponsor...

I have this & it works just fine.

adventurous1
05-13-2016, 12:18 AM
I have this & it works just fine.

Ditto. Mine works well.

Wingman
05-13-2016, 04:11 AM
Don't let em' get ya! I have the Goldwing PN installed on my F6B and it works fine. My dealer was pretty pissed when I didn't spring for the F6B version.

Felloverboard
05-13-2016, 08:41 AM
Also the rear speaker connection which plugs in under the seat and attaches just like the front one is half cheaper to order one for the full wing. Difference is the full wing wire is a bit longer, just curl it once under the seat. Order part from Partzilla OEM.

Audiochris90
05-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Well thats what i thought, just a price diff. Function is same. If the socket goes inside the cubby box, and i plug in something to power or charge, how does the cord route out of the box? Does the lid have to be open?

Dave Ritsema
05-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Well thats what i thought, just a price diff. Function is same. If the socket goes inside the cubby box, and i plug in something to power or charge, how does the cord route out of the box? Does the lid have to be open?

Pretty much the only thing I use it for is my cell phone and I just leave it in the cubby with the lid closed. If I want to get music out of the phone I use the audio connector that is already in the cubby as well so everything is out of the weather.

Sorcerer
05-13-2016, 10:26 AM
I made a notch on the bottom right to run the Garmen power cord out. I notched the bike and the door. Cuts easly with a sharp pocket knife. Notch only were the gasket is, but not the gasket. Unless you run wire back to the battery, the plug in to the bike inside the fairing pocket is fussed at 5 amps and is switched with the ignition.

Audiochris90
05-13-2016, 11:04 PM
Thanks thats a good idea, i had in mind heated gear.
I made a notch on the bottom right to run the Garmen power cord out. I notched the bike and the door. Cuts easly with a sharp pocket knife. Notch only were the gasket is, but not the gasket. Unless you run wire back to the battery, the plug in to the bike inside the fairing pocket is fussed at 5 amps and is switched with the ignition.

okf6b
05-14-2016, 07:09 AM
Thanks thats a good idea, i had in mind heated gear.

The cubby plug is designed for devices like phones and GPS's. Heated gear will be too much load for that 5A circuit. For heated gear, the simplest solution is to run the pigtail straight from the battery out under the seat. The pigtail can also be used for a battery tender.

Kdarmy
05-15-2016, 03:53 PM
If the socket goes inside the cubby box, and i plug in something to power or charge, how does the cord route out of the box? Does the lid have to be open?

Seems odd doesn't it?...I thought the same thing when I bought my bike..."Really? a Goldwing class motorcycle and they didn't think it thru to have a section where the wires can exit the cubby and have the lid closed!"

I use my adaptor mainly to power my gps unit...what I did was add another small hole next to the one I made to install the adaptor, so now I can plug in my dc adaptor and then have the wire feed right back out of the cubby thru the smaller hole...you can reach a hand down the left handle bar area and reach under the fairing until you can get hold of the wire....then just pull out what you need. :icon_biggrin:

Dave Ritsema
05-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Just went thru this exercise this weekend. A friend purchased a 2015 F6B and wanted to add the left storage pocket powerpoint. All the dealer had was the regular Wing one, would have to order the F6B one and it was twice as much.

The dealer parts guy was unsure if it would work but I told my buddy it would, based on prior conversations here. When we got home to install it everything worked perfectly, the cheaper Gold Wing one will absolutely work just fine.

yellow rex
05-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Kdarmy that is the way I have did it many many times much netter and cleaner look than having wires hanging out of the cubby lid.

Felloverboard
05-16-2016, 11:20 AM
I installed a second 12v with 2 USB outlets in the left side saddlebag. Brought a fused line from the battery which is right beside the compartment. I can now charge a phone, tablet, camera and anything 12v while riding on long trips. it is all hidden and out of the way. I purchased the single piece 12v & double USB from O'Reilly's for about $10. It has been working great for 2 years. The 12 volt I put in the from cubby came from Autozone or Discount for $8. I plug a Garmin that is wired through the bottom of my cubby and then up to the center section beside of the handlebars to the GPS with a suction cup windshield mount. I do have an elastic black hair band attached to the windshield vent that I put around the GPS incase the suction comes loose, which has happened several times when riding. Works just fine in rain or shine for $120.

Audiochris90
05-17-2016, 07:42 AM
Seems odd doesn't it?...I thought the same thing when I bought my bike..."Really? a Goldwing class motorcycle and they didn't think it thru to have a section where the wires can exit the cubby and have the lid closed!"

I use my adaptor mainly to power my gps unit...what I did was add another small hole next to the one I made to install the adaptor, so now I can plug in my dc adaptor and then have the wire feed right back out of the cubby thru the smaller hole...you can reach a hand down the left handle bar area and reach under the fairing until you can get hold of the wire....then just pull out what you need. :icon_biggrin:

Ok sounds good but cant visualize. Could you post a pic? Are you talking another hole in cubby box, then out the box and up the area where forks and handlebars move?

Felloverboard
05-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Ok sounds good but cant visualize. Could you post a pic? Are you talking another hole in cubby box, then out the box and up the area where forks and handlebars move?

That is how I did mine.... a small hole in bottom of cubby to get the GPS adapter connector through then up by main center section by handlebars. Very simple. That small hole would also drain any water that ever got into the cubby for any reason if placed in the correct lowest point. I have been using this for 2 years with a regular Garmin car GPS. This GPS was on my 2009 Honda Shadow, my 2010 Honda Interstate and now the Goldwing without issue.

Kdarmy
05-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Felloverboard has it correct...I made the extra hole just big enough so that my Garmin plug would push out of it, then I just used electrical tape to help seal it up a bit.

The cord once fished out from under the fairing is then pushed into side the left of the handle bar....there is enough flex to the plastic piece on the underside of the handlebar to pull away just enough to push in the power cord without having to remove it. Just make sure you leave enough slack to your cord at the bottom so that you can fully turn the bars full left and right.

Vondawg
05-17-2016, 05:55 PM
I run mine out next to the headset (same hole) ready to go when needed.

Audiochris90
05-23-2016, 07:27 PM
I run mine out next to the headset (same hole) ready to go when needed.

Ok here's what i think i want to do to get the 12v cubby and power my TomTom Rider. I bought the powerlet automotive cig lighter size, the wire harness from wingstuff that has an extra plug in off the 12v cubby circut. Its made by electrical connection for a run to the right side fairing , commonly for a volt meter. I bought some hitachi conectors from electrical connection to terminate my tomtom power run so i can just plug into that extra lead off the 12v cubby conector. Now to use Vondawgs idea to come out the headset hole as i wont need it with my Sena 20s on my helmet.http://http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Chris_Bruner/media/image_zpsihdfq7aj.jpeg.html]http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah85/Chris_Bruner/image_zpsihdfq7aj.jpeg[/URL]

Audiochris90
05-23-2016, 07:49 PM
I dont know , I think it really needs to run from the tomtom mount down the handle bars then cut over to the cubby.

http://http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Chris_Bruner/media/image_zps6ebhupos.jpeg.html]http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah85/Chris_Bruner/image_zps6ebhupos.jpeg[/URL]

Audiochris90
05-23-2016, 09:18 PM
KISS applies, as i wont be using it all the time. The ram ball mount that the tomtom is on will be used mainly for a gopro so going with Vondawgs set up. Thanks pal, I owe you a beer sir!

broncsrule21
07-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Pretty much the only thing I use it for is my cell phone and I just leave it in the cubby with the lid closed. If I want to get music out of the phone I use the audio connector that is already in the cubby as well so everything is out of the weather.
Does your phone fit ok with the USB plug in the receptacle? Just wondering what kind of space will be left with the plug sticking out.....

53driver
07-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Does your phone fit ok with the USB plug in the receptacle? Just wondering what kind of space will be left with the plug sticking out.....

I've got a Motorola Pure X "full size" phone and it does NOT fit in the cubby with the USB attached.
By "full size" I'm talking 6.5" x 3.3" with it's "otter box" case on. Adding the USB puts it over the diagonal limit of the cubby.
So my next trick is to route power to the center glove box.

Cheers,
Steve