PDA

View Full Version : Another Darkside advantage

DMAGOLDRDR
05-16-2016, 11:30 AM
I sold my Valkyrie Interstate a year ago to a family member and we still ride together quite often. For the sale I removed the car tire and put the bike tire back on for him. Last week he said he wanted to try the CT so he came by my house last Thursday and we reinstalled the NEXEN I still had mounted up.
Yesterday he was on his way to meet a few of us for a ride and had what could have been a very bad mishap. Early in the morning he decided to changed the oil before the ride, and being rushed for time he neglected to double check the surface before screwing on the new oil filter, and never noticed the old o-ring stayed stuck on the block. He made it about two miles from his home and while rolling along at 70mph on the interstate that extra o-ring blew out and dumped out 4 qts of fresh oil.
He saw smoke and just slowly moved over across two lanes and into the breakdown lane with the bike still running unaware of why it was smoking. Once he saw the oil trail he shut off the bike. The entire underneath of the bike including the rear tire was covered with oil.
I for one am glad he did NOT still have a bike tire on for that. That pretty much solidified his decision to never go back to a bike tire....

Pap
05-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Hope the engine is ok. Glad he had the "better tire for the occasion" on. Wake up call!

DMAGOLDRDR
05-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Hope the engine is ok. Glad he had the "better tire for the occasion" on. Wake up call!

Once a new filter was spun on and 3.5 qts of oil went back in, that flat six with only 115,000 miles stills purrs without a hiccup. He said as he reached for the shut off switch the oil light had just flashed on.

willtill
05-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Gotta say that personally, I am so anal about changing my own oil, I just can't see how one leaves the old gasket on the mating surface.

Just something that seems to be so bizarre to happen. Though I've heard of it happening before.

I have however... experianced another dealership's error (and my error for deciding to bring it in to them) when I asked them to adjust the valves on my past DL650. Asked them to go ahead and change the oil as well..

Trailered it in, then trailered it back out and brought it home. Started it up and turned my back to it momentarily. When I turned to look at it again, it was spewing oil all over the place from a oil filter that was not even close to tight at all.

No joy from bitching at the owner of the dealer afterwards. They just don't care. :icon_rolleyes:

DMAGOLDRDR
05-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Gotta say that personally, I am so anal about changing my own oil, I just can't see how one leaves the old gasket on the mating surface.

Just something that seems to be so bizarre to happen. Though I've heard of it happening before.

I have however... experianced another dealership's error (and my error for deciding to bring it in to them) when I asked them to adjust the valves on my past DL650. Asked them to go ahead and change the oil as well..

Trailered it in, then trailered it back out and brought it home. Started it up and turned my back to it momentarily. When I turned to look at it again, it was spewing oil all over the place from a oil filter that was not even close to tight at all.

No joy from bitching at the owner of the dealer afterwards. They just don't care. :icon_rolleyes:

Now that is a real odd one!!! Didn't the tech run the bike for a final test? Did he just work on it and push it out the door without ever starting the engine?

I have hears of guys missing the fact that the old o-ring sticks to the block, but don't understand not wiping off the mating surface before installing the filter.

willtill
05-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Now that is a real odd one!!! Didn't the tech run the bike for a final test? Did he just work on it and push it out the door without ever starting the engine?

I have hears of guys missing the fact that the old o-ring sticks to the block, but don't understand not wiping off the mating surface before installing the filter.

Apparently not. They probably changed the oil and filter after adjusting the valves while cold (if he even adjusted them anyway.. very hard to verify that - bucket and shims).

valkmc
06-19-2016, 07:55 AM
I sold my Valkyrie Interstate a year ago to a family member and we still ride together quite often. For the sale I removed the car tire and put the bike tire back on for him. Last week he said he wanted to try the CT so he came by my house last Thursday and we reinstalled the NEXEN I still had mounted up.
Yesterday he was on his way to meet a few of us for a ride and had what could have been a very bad mishap. Early in the morning he decided to changed the oil before the ride, and being rushed for time he neglected to double check the surface before screwing on the new oil filter, and never noticed the old o-ring stayed stuck on the block. He made it about two miles from his home and while rolling along at 70mph on the interstate that extra o-ring blew out and dumped out 4 qts of fresh oil.
He saw smoke and just slowly moved over across two lanes and into the breakdown lane with the bike still running unaware of why it was smoking. Once he saw the oil trail he shut off the bike. The entire underneath of the bike including the rear tire was covered with oil.
I for one am glad he did NOT still have a bike tire on for that. That pretty much solidified his decision to never go back to a bike tire....

Here is another dark side benefit. I hit a pallet at 75 mph recently. The rear wheel was severely dented and the final drive was cracked and leaking fluid. My Michelin held air. The front wheel was also severely dented and the MC tire did hold air initially but leaked and was flat by the time it got to the dealer. Of course the insurance company and the dealership will not replace the Michelin. They are providing a set of OEM tires. On a bright side neither complained or said anything about the practice of using the car tire. I think the practice is being accepted, I know the Progressive adjuster had no problems with it.