PDA

View Full Version : MLB Risers

mike2000t
05-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Installed MLB wide risers on my bike last week. Easy install, I just had to adjust the slack in the throttle cable. What a difference. A subtle change, but it made a big difference in the all day ride yesterday. No pain between my shoulders anymore.

I am 6'-3" with a long torso and long arms, but I like to lean back against my backrest and the change in bar position up and back makes riding much more comfortable.

Pap
05-16-2016, 07:44 PM
I also have a set on mine. Made it much better for me too.

mike2000t
05-17-2016, 07:35 PM
I really wanted to get the Heli bars, but I could think of a lot of other things I could do with $800 plus installation.

pilotguy299
05-17-2016, 07:41 PM
I have the same risers, and have noticed the difference as well. Helibars might help more, but for the cost they'll have to wait.

CopperMike
05-18-2016, 12:20 AM
Recommendation on where to get the risers through?

Steve 0080
05-18-2016, 07:04 AM
http://wingstuff.com/products/2361-handlebar-risers-standard-or-tall-rider-version?from_search=1

pilotguy299
05-18-2016, 07:04 AM
I got mine from cyclemax.com. also got the MP3 bike rack from them as well.

willtill
05-18-2016, 07:26 AM
Been thinking about getting these as well. Just don't like the idea of having the control cables/wires/etc more taut.

Hornblower
05-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Just to avoid some possible confusion, those are MBL risers, not MLB.

pilotguy299
05-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Been thinking about getting these as well. Just don't like the idea of having the control cables/wires/etc more taut.

They actually aren't bad. Loosen a clamp and there's enough extra to pull up, so nothing is stretched. Tighten the clamp back down, and you're good to go.

willtill
05-18-2016, 08:28 AM
They actually aren't bad. Loosen a clamp and there's enough extra to pull up, so nothing is stretched. Tighten the clamp back down, and you're good to go.

I saw a video that TaxFree4 put out on the Internet; when he installed his risers. He said that the fork cover cannot be reinstalled after the risers are in place? These are Kuryakyn risers though... but the same type/application

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euhN9r42i2Y

pilotguy299
05-18-2016, 11:30 AM
I saw a video that TaxFree4 put out on the Internet; when he installed his risers. He said that the fork cover cannot be reinstalled after the risers are in place? These are Kuryakyn risers though... but the same type/application

Correct, but you can cut the covers and put them back on. I actually sliced the plastic on each side of each handlebar and made like a flap, so the cover still goes over the riser.

willtill
05-18-2016, 12:27 PM

Correct, but you can cut the covers and put them back on. I actually sliced the plastic on each side of each handlebar and made like a flap, so the cover still goes over the riser.

:yes: That's the ticket!

98valk
05-19-2016, 10:53 AM

I put mine back on without cutting them. I just used two spacers and two longer bolts that hold the cover on and put it back on. I use some old hardened rubber hose for the spacers.

Oh, and I have MBL risers and Helibars installed. Still fits.

20909 20910

willtill
05-19-2016, 11:29 AM
I put mine back on without cutting them. I just used two spacers and two longer bolts that hold the cover on and put it back on. I use some old hardened rubber hose for the spacers.

20909 20910

Interesting. Seemingly even better option!

Airborne06
05-19-2016, 04:40 PM

20909 20910
That looks great! BTW...I have the Helibars installed, but wanted to put them on top of my MBLs. The installer tried and said it won't line up right. I tried it with both the standard and wide MBLs. No go with each. I think I need a new installer....I'd love to have a bit more pullback even with the Helibars. Regardless, I am going to install the cover.

mike2000t
05-19-2016, 07:06 PM
The only "problem" I has was that I had to remove the throttle cables from the stay under the handle bar and zip tie it secure, then adjust a bit for too much throttle play. Since this was in the instructions, I don't really consider it an issue.

I got mine from Wingstuff.

98valk
05-19-2016, 08:38 PM
That looks great! BTW...I have the Helibars installed, but wanted to put them on top of my MBLs. The installer tried and said it won't line up right. I tried it with both the standard and wide MBLs. No go with each. I think I need a new installer....I'd love to have a bit more pullback even with the Helibars. Regardless, I am going to install the cover.

I believe that a couple of us have installed Helibars with the wide MBL's. I have for a fact. :yes:

Sorry, but I think you do need a new installer ... :icon_frown:

One thing to consider, though. As far as achieving max pull back when utilizing the MBL's, the throttle cables are the limiting factor ...