PDA

View Full Version : MADSTAD AIR FLOW

Delta
05-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Just finished installing my 15" Madstad and test drive. I'm 6'3" and I think it's too tall. I'm not used to looking through a shield so it's a good thing I got the light gray. Sure hope it sheds the water when driving in the rain. Maybe I just have to get used to it. It does block a lot of wind and has brought the wind noise down a lot. I do seem to have a lot more air hitting me in the back. For those of you in the know, how do you eliminate it?

Pap
05-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Not to thread jack, but what did you have on before the Madstad?

Delta
05-17-2016, 09:05 PM
I had a Honda Tall with the vent.

imported_NMRed
05-17-2016, 10:05 PM
How do you have the shield adjusted? I am 6 foot even and have the 15 inch Madstad set at the lowest level. I look over the top by a good 4 inches. with the adjustability of the Madstad and a set of Baker handwings you can have almost total control of airflow around you.

NMRed
2013 F6B Deluxe
IBA# 63255

Delta
05-17-2016, 10:25 PM
I started out with it adjusted all the way to the bottom and tilted all the way back. I was hoping that the top of the windshield would be at chin level. It is actually between the tip and bridge of my nose. The top of the shield is in my line of vision and is distracting. Guess I have to mentally adjust to this new style. Tonight I raised it so I am more looking through it. I am more accustomed to looking over the shields. I'll play around with my Baker hand wings tomorrow.

okf6b
05-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Like NMRed, I am 6' and have the 15" Madstad (dark smoke) set in the lowest position. I see well over mine also. I've never noticed any back pressure. Mine is set at the recommended 60 degrees which works well for me. Have you tried adjusting the angle? If you need a different height, Madstad will sell the outer shield by itself for around $120. I ordered a 13" medium gray to give it a try.

Old Ryder
05-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Just finished installing my 15" Madstad and test drive. I'm 6'3" and I think it's too tall. I'm not used to looking through a shield so it's a good thing I got the light gray. Sure hope it sheds the water when driving in the rain. Maybe I just have to get used to it. It does block a lot of wind and has brought the wind noise down a lot. I do seem to have a lot more air hitting me in the back. For those of you in the know, how do you eliminate it?

To me, Baker Hand Wings will remove most of the bad stuff. Hand wings and leg wings make as much difference as the shield---JMHO of course.

rdeady
05-18-2016, 08:24 PM
I have the honda tall windshield with vent . I do get buffeting and a vacuum that feels like someone is pushing me from behind. Also have the handwings which have not seemed to do anything as far as i can tell. Trying to get it sorted out but it is tough.

royr
05-18-2016, 10:35 PM
I am 6' with a 30" inseam. With the 15" Madstad in the lowest position and at the Madstad recommended 60 degree angle, I am looking well over the top of the WS. What is your inseam?

Delta
05-19-2016, 05:11 AM
I also have a 32" inseam.

mike2000t
05-19-2016, 07:13 PM
I am also 6'-3" and have a Madstad as well. I got the 13", I usually have it adjusted all the way up and at a 60 degree angle. I downloaded a clinometer app for my phone to measure the angle. In the summer in SC I adjust it down unless it rains. I keep the 60 degree angle and that works for me. it brings the wind up and over with no buffeting. Light rain at highway speeds mostly goes over me, but heavy rain will still make it through.