PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Headset Question

db24
08-31-2013, 04:03 PM
I am three weeks and 1100 miles into riding my new F6B. I've never had any motorcycle equipped with a radio, and am still not sure I want to ruin my riding time with it-- but hey, its there. I don't hear all that well anymore, so simply blasting the fairing speakers really doesn't work for me.

I rarely will have a passenger, so I don't have any interest in intercom accessories. What basic kind of headset or connectors do I need to simply listen to the radio or iPod? What if I'd like to add the ability to connect to my iPhone? I have a full face helmet. Good helmet speakers would be a plus.

All suggestions, especially with specific brand/ model number information are welcome. Thanks!

BARRYS770
09-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Check with Sierra Electronics. They have everything you'll need.

Barry

woody
09-01-2013, 02:14 PM
I have a Sena setup from BikeMp3 and would recomend the unit. In your case you would only need the SMH 10 (single headset) and the SM 10 transmiter.

Check with Pete he will set you straight. The unit is very easy to set up amd works well.

timjoebob
09-01-2013, 06:27 PM
At the very least, you can plug your earbuds into this to access the radio and iPod/mp3 player in your saddlebag: http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/headset-adaptor.htm

A bit more involved would be my source for i-com, music, phone connection, and bike to bike comm: Cardo Scala Rider.

Here's my opinion on it, copied from another forum that I'm a member of:

I have Scala Rider Q2 headsets. They are bluetooth and wireless. They provide intercom for 2-up riding plus bike-to-bike communication for up to one other set (pairing with up to two sets total) with up to a one mile range (line of sight). I've found that even on long trips, you don't need much more range than that. They will sync to your smart phone for hands-free cell phone use. They will sync to your gps for turn-by-turn navigation, too.

They also have a wired cord that plugs into your iPod/mp3 player for music. You can listen to your music and it will automatically be overridden by (in this order of priority): 1) gps 2) cell phone incoming call 3) intercom or bike-to-bike comm.

There is also an adaptor that EC sells that you can use to plug into your Wing radio instead of your iPod. Your can control your volume on your iPod by manually controlling it or by purchasing a remote from Monster, which I have. The remote is on my handlebars and allows me to pause, adjust the volume, skip a song, or repeat a song. No way to jump from playlist to playlist.

The system for two sets is around $260. The Monster remote is about $20. (Edit: With the usb capabilities of the F6B, the Monster remote is no longer necessary)

The headsets are easy to install into a full-face or 3/4 helmet. Not recommended for an half-helmet because of wind noise and positioning the speakers and mike boom.

I've done some repositioning of the speakers in my helmet to get the right clarity/volume for cell phone calls. Oh yeah - it also has fm radio, but it ain't worth spit.

Positives: wireless, less expensive than a CB and wired headsets. Negatives: no more than two "buddies".*(See edit below)

Otherwise, I'm very happy with it.

(Edit: Their best units now are the G9, allowing 8 bikes to talk with each other)

db24
09-04-2013, 08:26 PM
For your thoughts on this. I wound up buying a new Shoei Neotec helmet with a J&M HS629 headset.