PDA

View Full Version : Considering a "B"

PaiN
05-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Hi all, I'm a current 2013 Victory Cross Country owner. I like this bike but I've also been fighting with it over the years that I've owned it. The Vic has two major issues that hamper my riding pleasure and fun....heat and buffeting. Believe me, I've tried everything but in a nutshell, if I reduce one I get the other and the heat issues were bad enough that last year the bike was not ride-able in temps over 85 degrees. Its also got performance upgrades, which sound and go great but that V-Twin growl gets annoying on a multi-day ride.

I'm at the point in my life where my wife and I can start enjoying longer and longer touring rides,(Just came off a 5 day, 1900 mile trip around the Appalachians Mts.) I want a comfortable, quiet, reliable motorcycle that is capable of long distance touring while still having great handling, power and looks....I've been spending months going over my options and the F6B is really the only choice to fit my bill. Plus I've found some leftover Bs in my area at great prices :)

Anyway, glad to be here and I'm looking forward to talking with you all, finding out more about these great bikes and hopefully getting one of my own very soon.

jkelley
05-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Having had a very similar experience with Harley I can attest the F6B is truly a great machine. The only issue is the foot position. Coming from forward controls I am still bothered by the riding position. Many things can be done to help but be sure that will work for you. Also basic maintenance is relatively easy, but anything more on the "B" will take a lot of effort in removing the Tupperware to work on anything. Fortunately not much is ever needed. IF you go 2015 with cruise control no problem, I found I missed that a lot on my old 2013. The F6B out of the box will perform much better than your Vic, or any stock Harley. They are quiet in stock form which to my surprise I like a lot. The drive line is solid ( just check your fluid level as soon as you get it ) NO belts etc. Paint you will be disappointed in compared to your Vic, but the rest of the package is superior in my opinion. Best of luck with your decision.........

GaTeach
05-18-2016, 05:57 AM
Best bike ever!

I absolutely love the stock foot positions. Very comfortable for me.

114th COBRA
05-18-2016, 05:59 AM
.welcome20. Take the dive, pull the trigger, or whatever cliche you like, you will not be disappointed with the F6B. Rode a Harley for years, sold it, and didn't ride any thing for quite some time. When I saw the F6B in November 2015, liked the styling, sat on it and bought it two days later. Have managed to get over 3000 miles on it so far and just wishing the rainy weather would let up in my area so I can get out on the road. It's a dream machine and a pleasure to ride. Sure don't miss Harley's. :icon_biggrin:

DMAGOLDRDR
05-18-2016, 06:32 AM
Hi all, I'm a current 2013 Victory Cross Country owner. I like this bike but I've also been fighting with it over the years that I've owned it. The Vic has two major issues that hamper my riding pleasure and fun....heat and buffeting. Believe me, I've tried everything but in a nutshell, if I reduce one I get the other and the heat issues were bad enough that last year the bike was not ride-able in temps over 85 degrees. Its also got performance upgrades, which sound and go great but that V-Twin growl gets annoying on a multi-day ride. I'm at the point in my life where my wife and I can start enjoying longer and longer touring rides,(Just came off a 5 day, 1900 mile trip around the Appalachians Mts.) I want a comfortable, quiet, reliable motorcycle that is capable of long distance touring while still having great handling, power and looks....I've been spending months going over my options and the F6B is really the only choice to fit my bill. Plus I've found some leftover Bs in my area at great prices :)
Anyway, glad to be here and I'm looking forward to talking with you all, finding out more about these great bikes and hopefully getting one of my own very soon.

I almost traded off my B for a Cross Country. I rode the Vic and liked the seating and foot position and really like the size of the saddlebags. I never cared the F6B saddlebags although I can fit my XL Full face helmet in them and that was a big plus for the F6B for me. But could not get past the lack of power and heat of the CC.

shooter
05-18-2016, 06:34 AM
You talk about buffeting and I don't know if you mean the bike itself or your person. The stock shield is worthless but we can help you with suggestions on replacement shield. Your height will tell the story. As far as the bike in wind its big , it catches a lot of air. Having said that I think it cuts the wind as good as anything out there. I've ridden mine two up in 40 mph gusts and never complain. This is a great bike. Nobody in the industry makes a bike with the combination of power , looks and handling. I ride with a friend that has a CC. Its a nice bike but IMHO inferior in every way to the B. I live in MO where the combination of heat and humidity can be stifling. 100° and 80% can be had easily. I ride year round. That shield height is important in the summer. You need some air in the helmet. You won't be disappointed in the B if you decide to purchase it. Good luck.

Bob Penn
05-18-2016, 06:35 AM
The f6b will definitely solve all the problems you mentioned. In addition I think you'll find that many of us f6b riders have hit that point in life that you mentioned and we have been educated enough over years of riding to realize that perfect bike doesn't exist, but the B comes closer than any other bike out there.
Those low prices aren't going to last much longer as word of this bike's performance gets out.
When negotiating your deal make sure you have the dealer install a higher windshield before delivery. The one I had installed, with vent, allows me to cruise the Interstate at 80 mph with a baseball cap on. Yet when it gets hot you just open the vent for comfort.

vmaxed
05-18-2016, 07:05 AM
Hi all, I'm a current 2013 Victory Cross Country owner. I like this bike but I've also been fighting with it over the years that I've owned it. The Vic has two major issues that hamper my riding pleasure and fun....heat and buffeting. Believe me, I've tried everything but in a nutshell, if I reduce one I get the other and the heat issues were bad enough that last year the bike was not ride-able in temps over 85 degrees. Its also got performance upgrades, which sound and go great but that V-Twin growl gets annoying on a multi-day ride.

I'm at the point in my life where my wife and I can start enjoying longer and longer touring rides,(Just came off a 5 day, 1900 mile trip around the Appalachians Mts.) I want a comfortable, quiet, reliable motorcycle that is capable of long distance touring while still having great handling, power and looks....I've been spending months going over my options and the F6B is really the only choice to fit my bill. Plus I've found some leftover Bs in my area at great prices :)

'welcome gang'

Hi nabor..I am in Unionville rt177,I had two Victory Cross Country's and I know you will love the power of the F6B.You can stop by and talk and look if you would like.

Ed..."coffee"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/2015%20Honda%20F6BD/2016-04-14%2011.27.11.jpg

willtill
05-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Regarding the F6B's stock foot position comments so far in this thread; I think that is more of a matter that you just have to get "used" to the new position. Especially if you are coming from foot boards on a cruiser...

..I remember that for the first 2 weeks or so with my F6B, I kept swinging my feet into the valve covers on it; rather than moving them back to the driver's pegs; since I was so used to forward mounted floorboards on my Victory Vision and Rocket III.

Was finally able to break that habit.

Hornblower
05-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Welcome, paiN, to our board! No doubt, the F6B that we all love would be vastly superior in many ways to your current ride. That said, if your wife is often the passenger, I would suggest you look at a full wing. It costs more but it's more comfortable for a passenger and has several additional features that you would probably enjoy.

wjduke
05-18-2016, 07:30 AM
Regarding the F6B's stock foot position comments so far in this thread; I think that is more of a matter that you just have to get "used" to the new position. Especially if you are coming from foot boards on a cruiser...

..I remember that for the first 2 weeks or so with my F6B, I kept swinging my feet into the valve covers on it; rather than moving them back to the driver's pegs; since I was so used to forward mounted floorboards on my Victory Vision and Rocket III.

Was finally able to break that habit.

I'm still trying to not hit the kick stand when I stop and put my feet on the ground...dam thing sticks out there.

Retired Army
05-18-2016, 07:35 AM

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Good luck in your pursuit, I find tranquility in the Honda F6B.

GaTeach
05-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Great pic Ed. that blue is a beautiful bike

seadog
05-18-2016, 07:50 AM
If at all possible go for at least a Deluxe as it comes with the things that make a touring bike the best of the best, Center stand, self cancelling turn signals, cruise control, heated grips. My last bike didn't have these items and now I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't have them. The deluxe also comes with the backrest for the passenger. Like the others have stated the stock windshield is almost a joke on a touring bike so I had that change before I even took delivery on the bike. As far as foot position, I have no trouble with mine but I also added Rivco Aero Highway pegs to my deluxe and others have added Ergo 2 and ergo 3 pegs to theirs. Good luck on your purchase and don't be scared to go a little farther than normal to find your ride. The road home from the dealer will put a big smile on your face. My ride home was 130 miles and by the time I got there you couldn't have sold me any other motorcycle.

PaiN
05-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Thanks all, your comments make me feel like I'm definitely going in the right direction. :yes:

'welcome gang'

Hi nabor..I am in Unionville rt177,I had two Victory Cross Country's and I know you will love the power of the F6B.You can stop by and talk and look if you would like.

Ed..."coffee"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/2015%20Honda%20F6BD/2016-04-14%2011.27.11.jpg

Hey Ed, weren't you on the Victory forum for a while? I'm next door in Bristol by Mountain View school and would really like to see your "B" and pick your brain about it vs. the XC. In fact what are you up to today? :icon_wink:
btw: Is that pic taken at Barkhamsted Res?

vmaxed
05-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Thanks all, your comments make me feel like I'm definitely going in the right direction. :yes:

Hey Ed, weren't you on the Victory forum for a while? I'm next door in Bristol by Mountain View school and would really like to see your "B" and pick your brain about it vs. the XC. In fact what are you up to today? :icon_wink:
btw: Is that pic taken at Barkhamsted Res?

I am home now...I will PM you my address.

Penguin
05-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Just my 2 cents. Like many others have stated I too came from riding Harley's for 35 years. Gave up riding 8 years ago because I was tired of the same ol Harley experience. A friend let me ride his B and all I could say was HOLY S*&T. This bike is amazing and I now own a 2016 standard. I didn't want another V twin so the flat 6 motor was a plus and has proved to be perfect. This bike has put the passion of motorcycling back into my life and I LIKE IT. :headbang:

opas ride
05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
I came off two different Victory's, Kingpin Tour and a Vision Tour. Both nice bikes and the Vision was great on the highway...But, nothing like the F6B for all that is important to me. Smoother, faster, handles better, no heat off motor, and a much better price and deal for the money...The new Indians are also great bikes, but reports indicated the motor is hot and loud in traffic and some of the controls are a little "cheezy"..Plan to ride one this week-end at a local demo-days ride...So far there is nothing out there that I would favor in place of my current ride......Good luck and buy the Honda....

Old Ryder
05-18-2016, 11:48 AM
Also owned 2 Vics--- Kingpin and Cross Roads. It is a quality machine but the dealer support---or rather lack of dealer support is what ran me away. There are a number of differences.

The Victory is much roomier and expect to spend for a new windshield/seat and possibly risers to get the bike to fit. It took all three for me, but at 6'1" @ around 260 and 32" inseam I don't fit many bikes stock, but Victory was one of them. The B is much different. It rides and handles more like a sport bike than a big cruiser and you will not believe the powertrain. A lot of guys complain about the clunk going into 1st gear, but you are used to that by now I am sure.

I don't regret the trade at all.

pilotguy299
05-18-2016, 06:50 PM
I had a VTX1300R which I used to love, and traded in on the B. I've ridden more in the 2 months I've owned the B, than I did in 7 months on the VTX. Add the Rivco flip out hi way pegs, and it's extremely comfortable. Had the seat modded by Mean City Cycles & added heat, and LEDs all around.

It's a little heavy when stopped, but seems much more nimble when moving than my VTX, the Aero 750, and the Burgman 650. And the amount of throttle still left at 70mph is amazing

Love the Beast!

Just do it!

PaiN
05-19-2016, 05:08 AM
I met up with vmaxed yesterday, we went over the bike, I spent some time in the saddle and came away even more impressed than I was previously....In fact, I can't stop thinking about the F6B, the damn thing is haunting me :banghead: vmaxed was kind enough to call his dealer and it took all my willpower not to run down there and do "something" on a leftover 15 they had in stock.
After taking my wife for a ride last night and sitting in a pool of heat in only 77 degree weather....I remembered what its going to feel like once the temps really come up. :icon_frown: I'm going to look at that left over the next chance I get......

pilotguy299
05-19-2016, 05:18 AM
what color?

standard or deluxe?

what are they asking?

why are you waiting?

PaiN
05-19-2016, 06:12 AM
what color?

standard or deluxe?

what are they asking?

why are you waiting?
Its a blue deluxe, the price posted was 18,600..but I'll see what I can do about that :icon_wink:

pilotguy299
05-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Its a blue deluxe, the price posted was 18,600..but I'll see what I can do about that :icon_wink:

Place in Hagerstown sold their last 15 for $17k.

Place in Rockville still has them for $17.5K

http://www.hondaofcrofton.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory&p=3&year=2015&make=honda

The blue does look really sharp in person.

PaiN
05-19-2016, 06:53 AM
Place in Hagerstown sold their last 15 for $17k.

Place in Rockville still has them for $17.5K

http://www.hondaofcrofton.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory&p=3&year=2015&make=honda

The blue does look really sharp in person.
That's more toward where I need to be on price....I'm going to have the face the daggers from my "financial advisor" since I've had this Victory only two years......:icon_rolleyes:
I was hoping for a gray, white or red F6B, but if there's a good deal to be had on blue, so be it.

vmaxed
05-19-2016, 08:10 AM
That's more toward where I need to be on price....I'm going to have the face the daggers from my "financial advisor" since I've had this Victory only two years......:icon_rolleyes:
I was hoping for a gray, white or red F6B, but if there's a good deal to be had on blue, so be it.

Here is the link Mike.... http://libbysmotoworld.com/Motorcycles-Honda-Gold-Wing-F6B-Deluxe-2015-a0311c99-a174-4c0b-9293-a5e800c14aa0

Ed.."coffee"

Old Ryder
05-19-2016, 08:24 AM
I drove almost 400 miles to save on my 13 Standard---then I started turning it into a Deluxe with parts found on eBay and other places. You may be a bit more sane in your route. .batman-smilie. I did not care for the self cancelling turn signals, so my Deluxe model was less than half the difference if I had bought it that way.

JGF6B
05-19-2016, 08:36 AM
If you can do w/o cruise, A RI dealer has a new 2013 in red advertised for $15k. Search Craigslist for F6B.

pilotguy299
05-19-2016, 08:44 AM
The dealer in Rockville was selling standard 13's for $13k a few months back.

wjduke
05-19-2016, 08:50 AM
MTR in Woonsocket. They wouldn't budge a penny when I went there last year looking. I think they wanted 18k back then. Got my 2015 in CT for $16,800.

wjduke
05-19-2016, 08:53 AM
MTR in Woonsocket. They wouldn't budge a penny when I went there last year looking. I think they wanted 18k back then. Got my 2015 in CT for $16,800.

ps...that was at Motor Sports Nation in Plainfield. I don't know what they have now, but they pushed mine out pretty quick.

PaiN
05-20-2016, 04:59 AM
I did see those 13 on CL but unfortunately the financials are not going to work out just yet.
Basically, when I called my CU and got the pay off on the Vic it was much higher than I thought :icon_frown: I owe what they are retailing for and I'm not taking the hit of thousand's of dollar's on the trade. I ride lot's, my Vic has over 30k miles on it and its set up for me, so I'd get beat up selling out right too.
I'm going to pull the timing advance, hi-flow air filter/exhaust and Power Commander-V tuner, basically taking back to stock. I didn't have heat/noise issues until I did these upgrades so I just have to live with the power loss for another season or two until I'm in a better position to get an F6B.
Until then I'll have to bug vmaxed to go riding so I can live through him :icon_mrgreen:

BamBam
05-20-2016, 05:28 AM
I found my 15' deluxe on Craigslist from a dealership in Scottsdale Az. New bike perfect in every way delivered to my house in Fort Worth TX for $18,633.

2 of my local dealerships were so pissed they offered me $100 in accessories to show them the paperwork. They wouldn't believe I could get that bike for that low a price.

I'm sure your local dealership can do better. It's just a matter of IF they want to.

Take your time, your perfect deal is out there, Knowledge is power. Don't be afraid to print off a great deal on the internet 3 states away and bring it in as a negotiating tool.

Cheers

PaiN
05-20-2016, 07:17 AM
I found my 15' deluxe on Craigslist from a dealership in Scottsdale Az. New bike perfect in every way delivered to my house in Fort Worth TX for $18,633.

2 of my local dealerships were so pissed they offered me $100 in accessories to show them the paperwork. They wouldn't believe I could get that bike for that low a price.

I'm sure your local dealership can do better. It's just a matter of IF they want to.

Take your time, your perfect deal is out there, Knowledge is power. Don't be afraid to print off a great deal on the internet 3 states away and bring it in as a negotiating tool.

Cheers
Thanks I have no problem hammering the dealers for a deal.....but I'm up against a wall with the Vic for the time being.

Stick
05-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Hey, PaiN - ditto to above. F6B is best bike I've ever owned by far. Mine got traded in, reluctantly - age related issues have put me back to 3 wheels. My B Deluxe is now resting at IMotorsports in Elmhurst, Ill. It was custom painted at the original dealer - House Of Colors orange and black. Sharp. 8500 miles. Looks and runs like new! They are asking $13999. Ask for Jason - good guy and takes good care of his customers.
His number is 630-529-5200 I sorely miss that bike and get tempted to go get it back! :banghead:

Spiff215
05-20-2016, 08:20 PM
The place I bought mine, Track n Trail in State College, Pa. http://www.trackntrail.net/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=4596878
Is still advertising new 2015 deluxes for $16999. They have standards for $15799. Both of which they list in there inventory.

PaiN
05-21-2016, 06:06 AM
I looked up both F6Bs....You guys are torturing me :moon:

Jimmytee
05-21-2016, 06:33 AM
I did see those 13 on CL but unfortunately the financials are not going to work out just yet.
Basically, when I called my CU and got the pay off on the Vic it was much higher than I thought :icon_frown: I owe what they are retailing for and I'm not taking the hit of thousand's of dollar's on the trade. I ride lot's, my Vic has over 30k miles on it and its set up for me, so I'd get beat up selling out right too.
I'm going to pull the timing advance, hi-flow air filter/exhaust and Power Commander-V tuner, basically taking back to stock. I didn't have heat/noise issues until I did these upgrades so I just have to live with the power loss for another season or two until I'm in a better position to get an F6B.
Until then I'll have to bug vmaxed to go riding so I can live through him :icon_mrgreen:

Just a little look on the bright side. No one here knows the future, but it is firmly believed that Honda is poised to re invent the Wing for 2017. Don't know what that means for the future of the F6B, but Hopefully Honda keeps the model alive along with a new Wing. It might be to your advantage, having to wait anyways , to see what happens for next year's models. :icon_wink:

PaiN
05-23-2016, 05:50 AM
vmaxed let me try out his F6B Saturday (for a short while, until he couldn't stand it on my Vic any longer :shrug: )
What a machine! the engine is amazing, so much power and authority and all without a friggin' loud ass exhaust or other dramatics. The B felt rock solid and planted, no rattles or shakes and I was very comfortable on it.
I'm getting one as soon as its possible and feasible....
All the better for me if the 2017's get a redesign, then the 15-16 leftovers with be even better priced. :icon_mrgreen:

stroguy
05-23-2016, 07:19 AM
I swapped with my bud for a lunch run. His Vic was like a tank in the corners. He came away knowing what a good machine the B is.

willtill
05-23-2016, 07:55 AM
The first thing physical aspect of the F6B that attracted me to it... was the length of it. It just got better from there.

adventurous1
05-23-2016, 10:33 PM
Hi all, I'm a current 2013 Victory Cross Country owner. .....Anyway, glad to be here and I'm looking forward to talking with you all, finding out more about these great bikes and hopefully getting one of my own very soon.

Depends a great deal on your 'inseam'. 36" inseam here - and the B is challenging BUT with a few accessories it's becoming more of a joy to ride. Now, if were a shorter guy or had more of a regular / normal inseam - this bike would be FLAWLESS. Though being taller makes stopping at lights, backing up, etc., etc. extremely easy. In another thread I mentioned that I did miss the soul / thunder of sitting on a V-twin (came from a Yama Strat - which I still have) but the seamless flowing rhythm of this bike on the freeway, highway, and canyons is an ear to ear grin experience. Going on my 1st 3K trip (7 day) thru UT, so looking for to it.

btw, BIG believer here of also living within your means (I"m not a member of Congress, so It's quite easy - lol). Meaning I don't have credit cards (debt card yes) pay for everything in cash (bikes, cars, etc.) and have lived debt free since 2002. Bought a 2013 standard B for 11K cash w/ 4K miles from a dealer. He left the price on the title and receipt BLANK, so when I titled it, I saved another 600 in sales tax. I added the heated grips (w/ Kuryakyn ISO grips over the heated), center stand, etc., etc. Though I had the cash, I still took a small portion out of my checks for 2 months, then purchased the accessories.

Now, if I do not get fully comfortable with the bike thru this year - I'll sell it for what I bought it for, and eat the cost of the accessories. 11K w/ a title price left blank will be very easy to sell. It's a trade off for seeing the western half of the country (Rockies to the Pacific) on yet another bike. Though I'd like to keep this one for quite a few years.

So, yeah, buy the bike you want when you can afford it. There's always people who have bought a bike they cannot afford, or lost a job (we've all been there), or got married and wanted to start a family (need to sell the bike), to old to ride (I'll be there one day), etc., etc. so bargains are definitely out there. And, spring and summer is definitely NOT the time of year to buy a bike - deals are few and far between (Yes, I know you already know it - just reminding you). December thru March is perfect.

Well, that's my .02.

53driver
05-23-2016, 10:39 PM
.....so bargains are definitely out there. And, spring and summer is definitely NOT the time of year to buy a bike - deals are few and far between (Yes, I know you already know it - just reminding you). December thru March is perfect.

I have preached that same line for years - and I still think it is true (Oct-Feb is what I have told people but that's a northern thing too) - however, we have had more F6Bs for sale on this forum in the past 3 months than all of last year put together.
It's really amazing!

adventurous1
05-23-2016, 10:44 PM
I have preached that same line for years - and I still think it is true (Oct-Feb is what I have told people but that's a northern thing too) - however, we have had more F6Bs for sale on this forum in the past 3 months than all of last year put together.
It's really amazing!

Yeah, what's up with that? People losing jobs? Not comfortable with the seating? Starting families? Have they experienced for a year and just don't like it?

PaiN
05-24-2016, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the advice, I can't say I live "debt free" but I refuse to be swimming or buried by it. I use credit wisely and unfortunately with where I'm at on the Victory, purchasing an F6B now wouldn't be wise.
I'm sure there will be one available, at the right deal, when the time comes.

MarkF
05-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Vmaxed and Pain I'm nearby as well. Been fighting with myself almost 18 months now. I want an F6B Deluxe. But which one? No cruise 2013 or cruise 2015? I liked the black but the matte is tempting. I sat on one two-1/2 years ago and am still thinking.

shooter
05-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Yeah, what's up with that? People losing jobs? Not comfortable with the seating? Starting families? Have they experienced for a year and just don't like it?

I've noticed it also. In wondering how many are just wanting to upgrade to cruise. Some guys think that cruise is real important. I think that if you had it on another bike you would probably miss it. I do 300 mile day trips. Not very often do I go much further than that. But you guys are right , I'm surprised at how many bikes have been listed lately.

wjduke
05-30-2016, 05:44 AM
Vmaxed and Pain I'm nearby as well. Been fighting with myself almost 18 months now. I want an F6B Deluxe. But which one? No cruise 2013 or cruise 2015? I liked the black but the matte is tempting. I sat on one two-1/2 years ago and am still thinking.

Depends on how much you plan to ride. I never had cruise before and even on my Matte Silver 15, never used it much. However...yesterday I rode more than I ever have and used the cruise control a lot. It's not a game ender, as there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing, such as Go Cruise, etc. Also, I cleaned bugs off the front about 5 or 6 times during the day. Simple with glass cleaner and wipes....no worries about the paint.

What a highway machine. I looked down at it many times and just smiled. I love this thing.

Jimmytee
05-30-2016, 06:33 AM
I bought my 13 in July of 14 knowing it lacked cruise. I have ridden my Valkyries for years without cruise and really never felt like I was missing something. Everyone is different though. I try to not spend much of my riding on boring Interstates for preferred twisty back roads where cruise is not that handy. I have a throttle lock and I have Kury Iso grips with the throttle boss paddle on the end that alleviates fatigued throttle hand . I've never had an issue with fatigue. I do ride anywhere from 300 to 700 miles in a day regularly. I only ise the throttle lock when I feel I need my right hand while riding and that is not very often. My left can perform most tasks.:icon_wink:

53driver
05-30-2016, 06:42 AM

Mark - my economic advice would be "buy what you can afford."
- If $$$ is tight and you can find a sweet deal on a used or NOS 2013/14 then I'd jump on one of those. All the depreciation will be accounted for and you can get several throttle helper items to give your right hand a break occasionally.
- If money flow is good to go, find a discounted 15 somewhere. You'll obviously pay more, but you'll be getting a bit more as well.
The delta between your two "best deals" will be your deal maker/breaker.

Me personally:
I have a -14, got a Kury throttle boss on the oversized grips, and I have no issues riding 1000 miles a day.
I have an XL to XXL sized hand and have been riding without cruise since day 1.

As Shooter eloquently points out, if someone had it on a bike before, they would miss it here. I believe that true as well.

But, the bottom line? Either way, you need to make a decision: you are missing a lot of GREAT riding on one of these.
No pressure....:icon_mrgreen:

Cheers,
Steve

Blk6bgg6
05-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Have to agree with 53 driver.I have ridden many and this is most versatile for sure.I can get sporty and later 2 up with wife in comfort..I had friend who worked at a dealership who told me once that when the guys would take bikes to special events,promotions etc. It seemed they would all want to take the f6b,and these were crotch rocket young bucks.As for cruise I installed kaoko and works well.Best thing I can ride all day and my back don't hurt.Do it!

pilotguy299
05-30-2016, 08:01 AM
My '16 is the first bike that I have ever had cruise on, and I use it every time I am on the highway, or even on longer backroads when there isn't a lot of traffic.

As far as the funds issue, that's up to you to figure out what you are comfortable with doing or not. I'm pretty much a penny pincher, except when it comes to important things that matter. I've spent so many years giving to others such as family, friends, coworkers, and not so much for myself.

I now only have so much life left before my time is over. That made this bike worth it to me.

willtill
05-30-2016, 08:04 AM
My '16 is the first bike that I have ever had cruise on, and I use it every time I am on the highway, or even on longer backroads when there isn't a lot of traffic.

As far as the funds issue, that's up to you to figure out what you are comfortable with doing or not. I'm pretty much a penny pincher, except when it comes to important things that matter. I've spent so many years giving to others such as family, friends, coworkers, and not so much for myself.

I now only have so much life left before my time is over. That made this bike worth it to me.

Yes. We must be good to ourselves as well. :icon_cool:

MarkF
05-30-2016, 08:34 AM
I've never had cruise control on a bike. I've had throttle locks and wrist rests in the past but not on my last two bikes/ten years. I went to Nova Scotia last summer with long days in the saddle and a lot of highway. Never had a problem so I guess cruise control is not a big deal for me.

So far I see barely used 13/14 for $13,500, brand new 15 for $17,500 and 16 with ABS for $21,500. While I can afford $23,000 it's a lot of money just for cruise control and ABS.

53driver
05-30-2016, 08:52 AM
I've never had cruise control on a bike. I've had throttle locks and wrist rests in the past but not on my last two bikes/ten years. I went to Nova Scotia last summer with long days in the saddle and a lot of highway. Never had a problem so I guess cruise control is not a big deal for me.

So far I see barely used 13/14 for $13,500, brand new 15 for $17,500 and 16 with ABS for $21,500. While I can afford $23,000 it's a lot of money just for cruise control and ABS.

Quick story:
I see myself as a slightly above "average rider", maybe a 6 on a 1-10 scale.
I was doing the Advanced Rider Course last week on the F6B and part of that training is learning/practicing "threshold braking" - applying the brakes firmly and with purpose and more specifically - just to the point before locking the wheels.
When I made one pretty impressive stop, the RiderCoach clapped his hands and said "great stop!" and then went looking around my front tire area. I asked him what was wrong. He said that he couldn't see my tone ring. I stated that I didn't have ABS and then he said "This is a GoldWing, right?" I responded yes, but no ABS. He then thought my quick stops were very impressive.
Moral: ABS is NOT required on these bikes to stop properly.
Many people swear by ABS, others think it is a crutch for underdeveloped braking techniques.
To me it's another tool in the tool box, but like cruise control - I never had ABS on a bike before either, so I am not missing it.

Not sure if this helps or not, but writing it out helped me drink my coffee....
Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
05-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Quick story:
I see myself as a slightly above "average rider", maybe a 6 on a 1-10 scale.
I was doing the Advanced Rider Course last week on the F6B and part of that training is learning/practicing "threshold braking" - applying the brakes firmly and with purpose and more specifically - just to the point before locking the wheels.
When I made one pretty impressive stop, the RiderCoach clapped his hands and said "great stop!" and then went looking around my front tire area. I asked him what was wrong. He said that he couldn't see my tone ring. I stated that I didn't have ABS and then he said "This is a GoldWing, right?" I responded yes, but no ABS. He then thought my quick stops were very impressive.
Moral: ABS is NOT required on these bikes to stop properly.
Many people swear by ABS, others think it is a crutch for underdeveloped braking techniques.
To me it's another tool in the tool box, but like cruise control - I never had ABS on a bike before either, so I am not missing it.

Not sure if this helps or not, but writing it out helped me drink my coffee....
Cheers,
Steve
+1 Exactly how I feel. :yes:

shooter
05-30-2016, 09:20 AM
+1 Out of all the bikes I've ridden in my life this thing has the best brakes I've encountered. Lack of abs has not been a factor. I've had several pucker factor encounters riding two up and Shay-Shay has always been up to the task with a little in reserve.

shooter
05-30-2016, 09:21 AM
OK. +2 Jimmy beat me to the +1. He's quick.

53driver
05-30-2016, 09:51 AM
+1 Exactly how I feel. :yes:

JimmyTee! You like story telling with coffee too? Cool!

pilotguy299
05-30-2016, 10:42 AM

There are no 16's with ABS in the US. Outside of the US yes, but we only get linked/combined braking systems here for some reason.

You have to do what is comfortable for you. Every time I've tried to save a few $, I've only ended up disappointed and spending more in the long run to try to get to what I wanted.

No more.

Spiff215
05-30-2016, 10:54 AM
There are no 16's with ABS in the US. Outside of the US yes, but we only get linked/combined braking systems here for some reason.

You have to do what is comfortable for you. Every time I've tried to save a few $, I've only ended up disappointed and spending more in the long run to try to get to what I wanted.

No more.

Same here....+1