PDA

View Full Version : Who else does this

Heavvyduty
05-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Is it me or are they a few who do this.
EVERY TIME I GET ON OR OFF THE BIKE (I KICK THE D@M PASSENGER BACK REST)
I have a few nice scuff marks on it now lol.:icon_evil:

3Chief
05-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Not so much the backrest however the foot pegs catch me all the time backing my bike up.

wjduke
Don't have one to kick, but I get lazy and drag a boot over the saddlebag once in a while. Plus, in another post, I tend to grab the kickstand when I'm stopping in traffic.

GONRDN
Always............:banghead:

seadog
05-19-2016, 10:43 AM
I now keep my foot on the left foot peg when getting off the B for that very reason. I hate putting scuffs in the backrest and saddlebag and keeping one's foot on the left foot peg elevates you enough to clear most obstructions in your way. I also have an ogio bag strapped in the passenger area I have to clear so that is what works for me. Also when it's on the center stand that is the only way on the bike using the left foot peg to elevate yourself over onto the seat

Old Ryder
05-19-2016, 10:55 AM
But after catching a boot eyelet on the top of my Ultra Classic trunk/backrest, I make a conscious effort now---but I love the way the top of the Honda backrest is hard plastic to avoid another visit to my local upholstery shop.

Felloverboard
05-19-2016, 11:21 AM
I know one individual who grabs his shoe as he gets off or on. Then it is his hand/knuckles that touch the seat as leg is going over. Apparently he learned from an expensive experience in seat scratches.

willtill
05-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Not my F6B, but I mount my DR650 (taller bike) from the RIGHT side; by standing on the right rider's peg with my right foot; simultaneously gripping the handlebars; and then swing my left leg over as the bike is coming up off of the kickstand.

It's the ONLY way I can really mount that bike; especially with the tailbag I have on the rear rack.

Maddoggie501
05-19-2016, 01:08 PM
After being involved in selling motorcycles, I got sick and tired of customers dragging their boots across the passenger seat and saddle bags. I would show them a simple way to mount the bike no matter your age. Stand directly next to and facing the seat on the left side of the bike. Raise your right leg up as high as you can and step directly over the drivers seat. Reverse the process to dismount. The trick here is to raise your leg as high as you can or you will scratch the riders seat while mounting or dismounting. Give it a try. It works. On my taller off road bikes I step on the left foot rest and swing my right leg over the bike. Good luck. I hope this suggestion was helpful.

Penguin
05-19-2016, 01:35 PM
After being involved in selling motorcycles, I got sick and tired of customers dragging their boots across the passenger seat and saddle bags. I would show them a simple way to mount the bike no matter your age. Stand directly next to and facing the seat on the left side of the bike. Raise your right leg up as high as you can and step directly over the drivers seat. Reverse the process to dismount. The trick here is to raise your leg as high as you can or you will scratch the riders seat while mounting or dismounting. Give it a try. It works. On my taller off road bikes I step on the left foot rest and swing my right leg over the bike. Good luck. I hope this suggestion was helpful.

:agree: I have used this method for years. Works great and your not contorting your body like your trying to get on a horse. Although some might argue that we have iron horses. LOL

Elroy
05-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Another tip that works for me to avoid kicking the pass. backrest and bags, is put the bike on the kickstand, stand up with both feet on the ground, while still holding on to the grips lean your upper body forward until you're nearly kissing your windshield, then dismount. Gives your lower body more clearance and I find you don't have to lift your leg as high or open your hips as much as if you did not lean forward. Reverse the process for mounting.

pilotguy299
05-19-2016, 04:10 PM

Some of us aren't nimble or flexible enough to do that!

I've been grabbing the back cuff of my pants if I don't think that I can move my leg over without hitting something. But I think I will try going up on one peg and see how that works.

seadog
05-19-2016, 04:19 PM

The older you get the worse it is trying to get on the motorcycle and just as hard getting off the motorcycle, never drug my foot when I was 22 but at 67 I have to think twice about mounting and dismounting the F6B

Maddoggie501
05-19-2016, 04:28 PM
The older you get the worse it is trying to get on the motorcycle and just as hard getting off the motorcycle, never drug my foot when I was 22 but at 67 I have to think twice about mounting and dismounting the F6B

Well at 65 I can tell you after a long day in the saddle I get tired. When that happens, during the dismount, I end up with scrapes across the drivers seat. Getting older is not for the weak of heart Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Felloverboard
05-19-2016, 04:54 PM
Age makes it harder, a heavier person makes it harder, a shorter person makes it harder. One solution does not fit all. How could someone sell motorcycles and only be engaging in those 6', young and fit. All shapes and sizes buy motorcycles. Typically those with more expensive bikes are not in their 20's & 30's, and riding crotch rockets & trail bikes. Still each has to learn a method to protect his investment or someone else's. I am 5'7 and their are some bikes I look at and do not mount. When I raise my leg as high as I can it is not as high as someone 6' tall..... especially with a sciatic nerve.

opas ride
05-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Age makes it harder, a heavier person makes it harder, a shorter person makes it harder. One solution does not fit all. How could someone sell motorcycles and only be engaging in those 6', young and fit. All shapes and sizes buy motorcycles. Typically those with more expensive bikes are not in their 20's & 30's, and riding crotch rockets & trail bikes. Still each has to learn a method to protect his investment or someone else's. I am 5'7 and their are some bikes I look at and do not mount. When I raise my leg as high as I can it is not as high as someone 6' tall..... especially with a sciatic nerve.

At the ripe old age of 76 it is definitely more difficult to drag the "ole" foot across the seat..Only on occasion do I now scuff the driver seat as I pull my right up leg and over the seat with my right hand holding on to the bottom of my jeans for support..So far so good as getting older does not make life any easier, but beats the alternative in my opinion as I love riding the F6B...Ride safe

Kdarmy
05-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Is it me or are they a few who do this.
EVERY TIME I GET ON OR OFF THE BIKE (I KICK THE D@M PASSENGER BACK REST)

Not me... I found the solution to the problem and it works perfectly.

I installed a driver backrest, I've never hit the passenger backrest again :icon_mrgreen:
There has been a new problem since I installed it, but I'm sure its only me, so no need to bring it up here:icon_doh:

98valk
05-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Most of the time, I grab my ankle and pull up, both getting on and getting off the bike to avoid scrapes.

Maddoggie501
05-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Most of the time, I grab my ankle and pull up, both getting on and getting off the bike to avoid scrapes.

That will do it!

stroguy
05-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Don't kick the backrest but am always kicking the wife in the skull. I need to work on that.

Steve 0080
05-19-2016, 10:10 PM
I step on the left foot peg, stand and throw a leg over and sit down... same off, just reversed !

lgjhn
05-19-2016, 10:13 PM
I know one individual who grabs his shoe as he gets off or on. Then it is his hand/knuckles that touch the seat as leg is going over. Apparently he learned from an expensive experience in seat scratches.
Yep. I do something similar. I grab my pant cuff and haul my leg over. I'm forever dragging a boot on something if I don't.

Phantom
05-19-2016, 10:49 PM
I step on the left foot peg, stand and throw a leg over and sit down... same off, just reversed !

:icon_cool::yes: X 2

Stand on pegs !

Aardvark
05-20-2016, 04:52 AM
Take up Yoga. I'm past 70 and don't scratch the seats, all due to Yoga.
A friend bought a BMW 1600 and said "The only way to mount is to stand on the footpeg".
I ignored the footpeg and just swung my yoga-limber leg over the seat. He was impressed.

Fla_rider
05-20-2016, 05:43 AM
See here's the deal, most of us that are vertically challenge find it difficult just to get our leg over the seat. So hitting the passenger backrest would be a dream come true! :moon:

Heavvyduty
05-20-2016, 05:52 AM
:icon_cool::yes: X 2

Stand on pegs !
I would be afraid my BIG A$$ at 380lb would snap the foot peg off if i stood on it.:icon_redface:

willtill
05-20-2016, 07:12 AM
I would be afraid my BIG A$$ at 380lb would snap the foot peg off if i stood on it.:icon_redface:

The key here is to "gingerly" step on the peg :icon_mrgreen:

http://i65.tinypic.com/35bs3nm.jpg

Heavvyduty
05-20-2016, 07:18 AM
The key here is to "gingerly" step on the peg :icon_mrgreen:

380lb = Ginger-snaps LOL :icon_lol:

Ridlikhel
05-20-2016, 07:34 AM
Simply exercise more. At least that's what I've been told.

3Chief
05-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Don't kick the backrest but am always kicking the wife in the skull. I need to work on that.

Just deflate her a little....:icon_lol:

53driver
05-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Simply exercise more. At least that's what I've been told.

I use the Aero Pegs to stretch my hamstrings......

stroguy
05-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Just deflate her a little....:icon_lol:

Brutally funny...you win the Internet for a day.

imscots
05-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Here is a method of getting off bike that I find works really well. after putting bike on kickstand, stand up and swing your right leg up and rest your foot sideways on the passenger grab rail which is metal, now twist your left foot that is on the ground clockwise a little and you will find that you now have enought leverage and clearance to easily lift your right leg up that was resting on the grab rail and off the bike. works every time and I am 69 and 5' 10"

MotoMike
05-20-2016, 07:42 PM
I get a running start and leap onto the bike clearing the backrest and planting both feet simultaneously on the pegs when I stick my landings.
to dismount I do a forward flip over the shield and land on both feet and do a standard mark 1 PLF for effect.
Really.

BIGLRY
05-20-2016, 10:51 PM
I get a running start and leap onto the bike clearing the backrest and planting both feet simultaneously on the pegs when I stick my landings.
to dismount I do a forward flip over the shield and land on both feet and do a standard mark 1 PLF for effect.
Really.
Ah, the old "Cowboy' mount and the "T-bone a car" dismount...I know them well, but since I quite drinking I don't use them any more.:301:

Vondawg
05-21-2016, 05:30 AM
Here is a method of getting off bike that I find works really well. after putting bike on kickstand, stand up and swing your right leg up and rest your foot sideways on the passenger grab rail which is metal, now twist your left foot that is on the ground clockwise a little and you will find that you now have enought leverage and clearance to easily lift your right leg up that was resting on the grab rail and off the bike. works every time and I am 69 and 5' 10"

Sounds like a game of Twister.