PDA

View Full Version : First Ride Impression

MotoMike
05-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Dealer brought the new scoot to the house yesterday. Wife and I had a cooler with ice water strapped on in 15 minutes and headed out into the desert. Took for a loop out of Pahrump south on 160 to Tecopa Highway to Shoshone on the 127 and then back to Pahrump.
First of all, was surprised at how quiet the bike was when I fired it up, sounds like magic. Hope I wont regret my Cobra 6-2-6 purchase. The stereo works amazingly well even at highway speeds.
Pretty windy yesterday and we were both wearing our advanced carbon beanie helmets and were pummeled by the wind noise. Bike came with the Honda accessories short tinted shield. That will be immediately frisbeed. Anyone interested? Also will be losing the Honda accessory backrest rack and replacing it with my smoke ShowCrome wide rack
Have my new touring wide Clearview medium height recurve with vent sitting next to me as I write. Hopefully things will quiet down quite a bit after moving the rough air up and over.
Riding position is tolerable and wife absolutely loves this bike says its the most comfortable one shes ridden pillion on so far. trust me, I punished her on a few of my last ones.
I started getting numbage in my cheekage after about 50 miles but It could be chalked up to my sporting a sleek gazelle like physique :icon_rolleyes:accented by a CG range thats been lowered by Adolph Coors.
Plus I havent been riding in awhile.
Heading through some twisty sections towards the Death Valley I found the bike pretty planted and neutral steering for its battlewagon displacement. The torque of course is very impressive, effortlessly jetting us out of the corner exits and up hill entries.
I was having a hard time restraining the throttle hand, to keep from maintaining any one speed and gear, and holding it under 70 per. Cmon 600 miles!
Handlebar and foot control placement is well located and relaxed. Helibar Horizon kit sitting next to Clearview on floor. I hated the feet forward position on my HDs and was always shuffling about on the footboards to get comfy.
Annd a whole lot more comfy than any of my canyon/cafe racers. Never thought I would disparage the cafe lifestyle. Must be the age thing. My back and hips thank me though.
Will pass any further impressions on after install of Cobra exhaust, helibars and shield.
Love this bike!

Reedman71
05-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Great writeup Mike. I also came from a sportbike background and went to cruisers before settling on the F6B. My wife also likes the bike and used to say it was very comfy... until she learned to ride herself and bought a bike. Now she doesn't ride on the back of my bike anymore.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the new bike and let us know how the new pipes work out for you.

Penguin
05-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Ran that Pahrump loop many times when I lived in Vegas. Congrats on the new scoot. Let me know how you like the new windshield.

GaTeach
05-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Excellent ride report. Thanks for sharing.

Best. Bike. Ever.

53driver
05-19-2016, 02:28 PM
MotoMike - glad your first impressions were good. Excellent report. Even more glad the missus is happy!

Looking forward to your HeliBar & windscreen reports.
Obviously pictures will be required.

Last thing - did you check the final drive oil level?

Cheers,
Steve

opas ride
05-19-2016, 05:16 PM
Dealer brought the new scoot to the house yesterday. Wife and I had a cooler with ice water strapped on in 15 minutes and headed out into the desert. Took for a loop out of Pahrump south on 160 to Tecopa Highway to Shoshone on the 127 and then back to Pahrump.
First of all, was surprised at how quiet the bike was when I fired it up, sounds like magic. Hope I wont regret my Cobra 6-2-6 purchase. The stereo works amazingly well even at highway speeds.
Pretty windy yesterday and we were both wearing our advanced carbon beanie helmets and were pummeled by the wind noise. Bike came with the Honda accessories short tinted shield. That will be immediately frisbeed. Anyone interested? Also will be losing the Honda accessory backrest rack and replacing it with my smoke ShowCrome wide rack
Have my new touring wide Clearview medium height recurve with vent sitting next to me as I write. Hopefully things will quiet down quite a bit after moving the rough air up and over.
Riding position is tolerable and wife absolutely loves this bike says its the most comfortable one shes ridden pillion on so far. trust me, I punished her on a few of my last ones.
I started getting numbage in my cheekage after about 50 miles but It could be chalked up to my sporting a sleek gazelle like physique :icon_rolleyes:accented by a CG range thats been lowered by Adolph Coors.
Plus I havent been riding in awhile.
Heading through some twisty sections towards the Death Valley I found the bike pretty planted and neutral steering for its battlewagon displacement. The torque of course is very impressive, effortlessly jetting us out of the corner exits and up hill entries.
I was having a hard time restraining the throttle hand, to keep from maintaining any one speed and gear, and holding it under 70 per. Cmon 600 miles!
Handlebar and foot control placement is well located and relaxed. Helibar Horizon kit sitting next to Clearview on floor. I hated the feet forward position on my HDs and was always shuffling about on the footboards to get comfy.
Annd a whole lot more comfy than any of my canyon/cafe racers. Never thought I would disparage the cafe lifestyle. Must be the age thing. My back and hips thank me though.
Will pass any further impressions on after install of Cobra exhaust, helibars and shield.
Love this bike!
Might take a little while to adjust to the infamous "drone" from Cobra pipes but I like my fine..Using Baggeshield and Mustang seat with the stock bars and all is well so far..Great bike and I know you will like it a lot...BTW, my daughter and son-in-law just moved from your town to Oklahoma...He worked in the local hospital but got a better offer in OK.......Ride safe

Fla_rider
05-20-2016, 06:16 AM
Good Report- Welcome to the board

:postpics:

MotoMike
05-20-2016, 02:09 PM
more pics soon..

MotoMike
05-20-2016, 02:25 PM
THANKS! Glad to be here. Normally I wouldn't want to belong to any group or club that would let me be a member.:icon_wink:
I promise the next pics wont have some fat dude making a douchey face.

53driver
05-20-2016, 03:44 PM
T....Normally I wouldn't want to belong to any group or club that would let me be a member.:icon_wink:

Winston Churchill or Groucho Marx???

wiggy
05-20-2016, 03:45 PM
THANKS! Glad to be here. Normally I wouldn't want to belong to any group or club that would let me be a member.:icon_wink:
I promise the next pics wont have some fat dude making a douchey face.

Nice looking bike. Welcome to the F6b club, Mike!

MotoMike
05-20-2016, 06:09 PM
Groucho

MotoMike
05-22-2016, 01:39 PM
BTW, thanks for reminding me to check the final drive level. It was below the bottom of the hole and needed a top off.
First ride yesterday with medium wide tour vented recurve clearview.
Rode to shop to return Honda Headsets. Windy again in Vegas (imagine that!) but I could definitely tell a difference. I have the shield at its highest, the bubble moved to the top of my helmet, I almost wish I had ordered the tall.
But I think with the winds there was no getting away from some buffeting.
Stereo is much more audible, and with the vent opened up to about an inch it kind of creates a boundary layer of air on the backside of the shield which helps move the bubble just a wee higher than with the vent full open.
Someone here said that once you're rolling the minor waviness in the vented shield is not a distraction. This is true and not bad enough in my opinion to be an issue. My OCD just doesnt help, though.
I have had clearviews before on my FLHTS and dont ever remember any waviness, so Im chalking it up to the vent tweaking the shield. Not a dealkiller but it is a little disappointing because of the cost and the name of the company:icon_rolleyes: